Favorite Mr. Boddy/ Dr. Black

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Favorite Boddy

Reginald Boddy (A.E Parker Books)
3
38%
Victor Sebastian Boddy (CD-i/PC)
0
No votes
Lee Ving as Mr. Boddy (1985 film)
2
25%
Dr. David Black (Puzzle Series)
0
No votes
Mr. John Boddy (Early-Mid 2000s games)
3
38%
Samual Black (2012-2013 games)
0
No votes
Adam Ellis aka “Mr. Nobody” (2011 The Hub Miniseries)
0
No votes
Mr. A. Boddy (IDW Comics)
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 8

Jonathan Green
Investigator
Posts: 577
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 10:43 am
Location: Houston, TX
Contact:

Favorite Mr. Boddy/ Dr. Black

Post by Jonathan Green » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:40 pm

Well since there’s not a lot of appearances of Boddy (Black), I’m just gonna list every single major appearance. What I mean is any Boddy that had 1) a physical appearance, and/or 2) was given characterization.
Check out my Instagram account to see my art - :arrow: https://www.instagram.com/david_rodriguez_art/?hl=en

User avatar
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor
Posts: 2551
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:15 pm

Re: Favorite Mr. Boddy/ Dr. Black

Post by Murder by Death » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:42 am

Wait, what Samuel Black depictions are there from the 2011-13 games?

There’s Also Mr. Boddy from the 2009 Mystery At Sea Game.

And technically, doesn’t Tim Curry also play Mr. Boddy?

User avatar
Lord Leo Le Blanc
Spy
Posts: 115
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:50 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Favorite Mr. Boddy/ Dr. Black

Post by Lord Leo Le Blanc » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:31 am

I've yet to read the comic or the books, so as a full character. I only know of the film. I probably would have picked Mystery at Sea for his look if he was an option.

User avatar
Lord Leo Le Blanc
Spy
Posts: 115
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:50 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Favorite Mr. Boddy/ Dr. Black

Post by Lord Leo Le Blanc » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:34 am

Murder by Death wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:42 am
And technically, doesn’t Tim Curry also play Mr. Boddy?
Technically yes for one ending. Even if that ending s credited as "what really happend" But for what characters are credited as. Crediting both characters as Boddy/Butler would have been confusing.

User avatar
MrGreenJeans
Slueth
Posts: 367
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 11:08 pm

Re: Favorite Mr. Boddy/ Dr. Black

Post by MrGreenJeans » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:21 pm

When i think of Boddy, the character from the AE Parker books is what comes to mind first and foremost!! No doubt. I think of him as an upstanding guy who continues to want the best from his friends, though they all want to kill him and steal his things.

Boddy as a seedy character like Lee Ving is just too unlikeable. I get why people want to kill him, but I don't care for the mystery around it. Good riddance he's dead.

I'm much more intrigued for "Who would kill a guy like poor, sweet Mr. Boddy?"

Edit to add: This was just a simple poll. LOL that the first reply is criticizing all that the user missed rather than just having fun with what he posted. Tough audience here.

Jonathan Green
Investigator
Posts: 577
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 10:43 am
Location: Houston, TX
Contact:

Re: Favorite Mr. Boddy/ Dr. Black

Post by Jonathan Green » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:07 pm

Murder by Death wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:42 am
Wait, what Samuel Black depictions are there from the 2011-13 games?

There’s Also Mr. Boddy from the 2009 Mystery At Sea.
What I mean his role in those two games. In them he was a member of the CLUE houses. Also there's a famed picture in the bedroom of a man near the vanity. I suppose this is Samuel. From what I can tell he's a young Caucasian man with black hair and a beard.

And I forgot about Mystery At Sea.
Check out my Instagram account to see my art - :arrow: https://www.instagram.com/david_rodriguez_art/?hl=en

Jonathan Green
Investigator
Posts: 577
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 10:43 am
Location: Houston, TX
Contact:

Re: Favorite Mr. Boddy/ Dr. Black

Post by Jonathan Green » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:36 pm

Lord Leo Le Blanc wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:31 am
I've yet to read the comic or the books, so as a full character. I only know of the film. I probably would have picked Mystery at Sea for his look if he was an option.
Here's the comic: https://readcomicsonline.ru/comic/clue-2017
Check out my Instagram account to see my art - :arrow: https://www.instagram.com/david_rodriguez_art/?hl=en

User avatar
Lord Leo Le Blanc
Spy
Posts: 115
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:50 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Favorite Mr. Boddy/ Dr. Black

Post by Lord Leo Le Blanc » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:01 pm

Jonathan Green wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:36 pm
Here's the comic: https://readcomicsonline.ru/comic/clue-2017
Thank you! I enjoyed that. Well I can't change my awnser now. But A. Boddy was pretty good. Tough Upton has to win for favorite butler.

User avatar
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor
Posts: 2551
Joined: Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:15 pm

Re: Favorite Mr. Boddy/ Dr. Black

Post by Murder by Death » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:03 pm

Jonathan Green wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:07 pm
Murder by Death wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:42 am
Wait, what Samuel Black depictions are there from the 2011-13 games?

There’s Also Mr. Boddy from the 2009 Mystery At Sea.
What I mean his role in those two games. In them he was a member of the CLUE houses. Also there's a famed picture in the bedroom of a man near the vanity. I suppose this is Samuel. From what I can tell he's a young Caucasian man with black hair and a beard.

And I forgot about Mystery At Sea.
Do you mean this bedroom, on the wall between the door and closet?

Image

It’s not a very clear image. I haven’t really noticed the portraits on the walls before, so I suppose he’s vain enough to have a huge portrait of himself facing his bed.

It’s interesting to think about a characterization being a favorite version based strictly on a description without a visual manifestation. Is that true for others on this poll? Is the character never pictured on the book covers, but only described in narrative?

User avatar
MrGreenJeans
Slueth
Posts: 367
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 11:08 pm

Re: Favorite Mr. Boddy/ Dr. Black

Post by MrGreenJeans » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:06 pm

Boddy was never physically depicted on the book covers. He was featured in every book, but never shown. And yet, THAT Boddy is the one who I attribute most to Mr. Boddy.

User avatar
Sir Shamrock
Slueth
Posts: 299
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:36 pm
Location: In the ballroom, with the Candlestick

Re: Favorite Mr. Boddy/ Dr. Black

Post by Sir Shamrock » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:56 pm

Mr. Reginald Boddy is easily THE Boddy. He's so good, I wouldn't be surprised if he later became a Saint for what he did in his life. He has all the best characteristics, grand, kind, loyal, child-like, generous, ... you could go on for a while with this. The fact that he manages to cheat death every time really adds to the replay ability to the original game. It was he who made the story, whether it was the wacky adventures he'd get everyone into, or the endless plays on words with is family name, that book series appealed to a wide audience. Who could forget the time when he got a robotic butler from the Zillion Dollar Store (where everything cost a zillion dollars), or when he played "Let's Waltz Walt's Waltz" for his guests, and that May 5th is Pie Day in the Boddy family (I could go on for hours...). He is and always will be the kindest Mr. Boddy Clue will ever see.

Mr. John Boddy is a close second. While his character is very organized, he does feel at times claustrophobic and dark. Even though he was fleshed out during FX and DVD, the Clue Mysteries book series left more to be desired since he barely spoke in them, and when he did talk, it was always grumpy or distant. And his depiction in the DVD game still give me nightmares to this day.

Victor Sebastian Boddy and Lee Ving just seemed to be too much of a bully for the title of Mr. Boddy. Mr. A. Boddy was kind of a disappointment, but that one line about how he "hides random weapons around his house" was pretty clever.

User avatar
CluedoKid
Con Artiste
Posts: 17272
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:05 am

Re: Favorite Mr. Boddy/ Dr. Black

Post by CluedoKid » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:16 pm

MrGreenJeans wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:06 pm
Boddy was never physically depicted on the book covers. He was featured in every book, but never shown. And yet, THAT Boddy is the one who I attribute most to Mr. Boddy.

Hmm, might he had been the mummy and vampire for The Revenge of the Mummy and the Vanishing Vampire respectively?
Image

User avatar
MrGreenJeans
Slueth
Posts: 367
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 11:08 pm

Re: Favorite Mr. Boddy/ Dr. Black

Post by MrGreenJeans » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:11 pm

CluedoKid wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:16 pm
MrGreenJeans wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:06 pm
Boddy was never physically depicted on the book covers. He was featured in every book, but never shown. And yet, THAT Boddy is the one who I attribute most to Mr. Boddy.

Hmm, might he had been the mummy and vampire for The Revenge of the Mummy and the Vanishing Vampire respectively?
lol. sure.

User avatar
MrGreenJeans
Slueth
Posts: 367
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 11:08 pm

Re: Favorite Mr. Boddy/ Dr. Black

Post by MrGreenJeans » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:13 pm

Sir Shamrock wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:56 pm
Mr. Reginald Boddy is easily THE Boddy. He's so good, I wouldn't be surprised if he later became a Saint for what he did in his life. He has all the best characteristics, grand, kind, loyal, child-like, generous, ... you could go on for a while with this. The fact that he manages to cheat death every time really adds to the replay ability to the original game. It was he who made the story, whether it was the wacky adventures he'd get everyone into, or the endless plays on words with is family name, that book series appealed to a wide audience. Who could forget the time when he got a robotic butler from the Zillion Dollar Store (where everything cost a zillion dollars), or when he played "Let's Waltz Walt's Waltz" for his guests, and that May 5th is Pie Day in the Boddy family (I could go on for hours...). He is and always will be the kindest Mr. Boddy Clue will ever see.

Mr. John Boddy is a close second. While his character is very organized, he does feel at times claustrophobic and dark. Even though he was fleshed out during FX and DVD, the Clue Mysteries book series left more to be desired since he barely spoke in them, and when he did talk, it was always grumpy or distant. And his depiction in the DVD game still give me nightmares to this day.

Victor Sebastian Boddy and Lee Ving just seemed to be too much of a bully for the title of Mr. Boddy. Mr. A. Boddy was kind of a disappointment, but that one line about how he "hides random weapons around his house" was pretty clever.
Mr Boddy was shown in Clue DVD?! I don't remember this. Where can I see him?

Jonathan Green
Investigator
Posts: 577
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 10:43 am
Location: Houston, TX
Contact:

Re: Favorite Mr. Boddy/ Dr. Black

Post by Jonathan Green » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:41 pm

MrGreenJeans wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:13 pm
Sir Shamrock wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:56 pm
Mr. Reginald Boddy is easily THE Boddy. He's so good, I wouldn't be surprised if he later became a Saint for what he did in his life. He has all the best characteristics, grand, kind, loyal, child-like, generous, ... you could go on for a while with this. The fact that he manages to cheat death every time really adds to the replay ability to the original game. It was he who made the story, whether it was the wacky adventures he'd get everyone into, or the endless plays on words with is family name, that book series appealed to a wide audience. Who could forget the time when he got a robotic butler from the Zillion Dollar Store (where everything cost a zillion dollars), or when he played "Let's Waltz Walt's Waltz" for his guests, and that May 5th is Pie Day in the Boddy family (I could go on for hours...). He is and always will be the kindest Mr. Boddy Clue will ever see.

Mr. John Boddy is a close second. While his character is very organized, he does feel at times claustrophobic and dark. Even though he was fleshed out during FX and DVD, the Clue Mysteries book series left more to be desired since he barely spoke in them, and when he did talk, it was always grumpy or distant. And his depiction in the DVD game still give me nightmares to this day.

Victor Sebastian Boddy and Lee Ving just seemed to be too much of a bully for the title of Mr. Boddy. Mr. A. Boddy was kind of a disappointment, but that one line about how he "hides random weapons around his house" was pretty clever.
Mr Boddy was shown in Clue DVD?! I don't remember this. Where can I see him?
I got a pic of him.
Check out my Instagram account to see my art - :arrow: https://www.instagram.com/david_rodriguez_art/?hl=en

User avatar
Sir Shamrock
Slueth
Posts: 299
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:36 pm
Location: In the ballroom, with the Candlestick

Re: Favorite Mr. Boddy/ Dr. Black

Post by Sir Shamrock » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:54 pm

MrGreenJeans wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:13 pm
Mr Boddy was shown in Clue DVD?! I don't remember this. Where can I see him?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uf34TZl ... e=youtu.be
at 16:18, you can see him

Jonathan Green
Investigator
Posts: 577
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 10:43 am
Location: Houston, TX
Contact:

Re: Favorite Mr. Boddy/ Dr. Black

Post by Jonathan Green » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:39 pm

Image
Check out my Instagram account to see my art - :arrow: https://www.instagram.com/david_rodriguez_art/?hl=en

Jonathan Green
Investigator
Posts: 577
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 10:43 am
Location: Houston, TX
Contact:

Re: Favorite Mr. Boddy/ Dr. Black

Post by Jonathan Green » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:29 pm

Image
Check out my Instagram account to see my art - :arrow: https://www.instagram.com/david_rodriguez_art/?hl=en

Jonathan Green
Investigator
Posts: 577
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 10:43 am
Location: Houston, TX
Contact:

Re: Favorite Mr. Boddy/ Dr. Black

Post by Jonathan Green » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:13 pm

I forgot a Black: Dr. Black from Cluedo 1996
Image
Check out my Instagram account to see my art - :arrow: https://www.instagram.com/david_rodriguez_art/?hl=en

Jonathan Green
Investigator
Posts: 577
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 10:43 am
Location: Houston, TX
Contact:

Re: Favorite Mr. Boddy/ Dr. Black

Post by Jonathan Green » Tue Sep 03, 2019 4:12 pm

Remember the EA Mobile Clue game back in 2009?
I think I found Boddy...

On the top of this splash screen, there's a pile of magazines and tabloids behind the CLUE logo.
On the top right corner of the image, there's what I think is Boddy himself.

Image
Check out my Instagram account to see my art - :arrow: https://www.instagram.com/david_rodriguez_art/?hl=en

Post Reply