Clue's 70th anniversary

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Frostbyte
Slueth

Clue's 70th anniversary

Post by Frostbyte » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:41 am

Anyone think Hasbro will release a special edition to commemorate the 70th Anniversary next year? The 50rh Anniversary edition has always been in my top 3 favorite Editions.

Also, hello everyone! It's been a while...

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Re: Clue's 70th anniversary

Post by alwaysPeacock » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:24 am

I certainly hope so! They’ve marked every anniversary for Monopoly, and completely botched Clue(do)’s 60th by trying to “reinvent” the game. A brand new, truly deluxe edition would be most welcome (meaning not another rehash/mashup of the vintage editions and/or Franklin Mint editions. Something ACTUALLY new & special).
"But look what happened to the cook!"

Sir Shamrock
Slueth

Post by Sir Shamrock » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:24 am

Maybe bringing back Mrs. White?? :D

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:45 pm

Sir Shamrock wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:24 am
Maybe bringing back Mrs. White?? :D
I think Dr. Orchid is here for the long run, or at least another 5 — 10 years. What would be a really shining tribute for the 70th anniversary would be a single game with the current suspect lineup plus fresh depictions of the auxiliary characters from MD/Super Cluedo (so basically what Marmalade calls the International Suspects). Then we could still have White around for the anniversary without Hasbro chucking their latest marketing efforts entirely out the window.
"But look what happened to the cook!"

Love,Scarlet
Suspect

Post by Love,Scarlet » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:05 pm

I know its unlikely, but they can go the route of more and more and more. Like they can bring back all the characters who had lil figures in the early 2000s, then make some new ones for any other previous characters like Rose and Brown, they could even go as far as honoring Pratt and include Mrs. Silver, Miss Grey, Mr. Gold, and Dr. Black (in total youd have Scarlet, Mustard, White, Green, Peacock, Plum, Orchid, Black, Silver, Gold, Miss Grey, Lord/Sergeant Gray, Peach, Brown, Rose, Rusty, Meadow-Brook, Azure, Lavender, and add the option of a Butler as Mr. Charcoal, a total of 20 characters... might b a tad much) and then just amplify the weapons to 14, and the rooms to 24. Make the anniversary grand and spectacular, go all out, like the "Ultimate Clue" you know, you could go further and add Oakwood and Prussian (I excluded Mr. Peach bc we already have a Peach, but we have 2 gre/ays NC of different spelling and could be a built in joke for clue history buffs). Or they can just b boring and maybe make a 40s themed Tudor mansion with the 6 modern characters.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Re: Clues 70th anniversary

Post by CluedoKid » Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:18 pm

Oooookay then.

BBP
Junior Detective

Post by BBP » Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:12 am

Clever spambots huh? This one posted a fake eulogy based on the word "anniversary" in the topic title.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:59 pm

The 70th Anniversary is upon us, and nothing was announced at ToyFair. It seems some of the new unannounced editions come out around September/October, so I guess we have a bit of a wait to see if Hasbro does anything special.

Otherwise, the 75th won't be until 2024. With the current editions lasting around 5-6 years between changes, it's still a bit early to update the Orchid edition (only 4 years). Maybe Hasbro thinks the card revealing mirror is is the 70th Anniversary edition? Sad if true.

Besides, I get the impression that Hasbro is putting Cluedo on the 25 year anniversary cycle, compared to the Monopoly every 10 years. There wasn't a 60th anniversary edition -- not that they couldn't start with a 70th. But if they wait to 75, they could keep Orchid going for up to 8 years, then release a brand new edition for the 75th anniversary; or even release a new edition in 2022, and then a deluxe anniversary edition based on the same artwork two years later as they did with the 50th anniversary. I suppose they could update the Orchid edition 2 years early, but seems unlikely since they just released the mirror edition which is still yet to show up everywhere.

TheButlerButInnocent
Snoop

Post by TheButlerButInnocent » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:16 pm

I agree that Clue is probably on the 25 year cycle for anniversary editions.

If the How To Train Your Dragon series can get Drew Struzan out of retirement from posters, I wonder if Hasbro still has the cultural pull (or would be willing to put up the money) to entice him back. I would be interested to see if his approach to the characters would change (or if they would simply have him replace his Mrs. White with a new Dr. Orchid). I would not be surprised if the 75th anniversary edition ends up being a re-issue of the 50th anniversary edition.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:35 pm

TheButlerButInnocent wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:16 pm
I agree that Clue is probably on the 25 year cycle for anniversary editions.

If the How To Train Your Dragon series can get Drew Struzan out of retirement from posters, I wonder if Hasbro still has the cultural pull (or would be willing to put up the money) to entice him back. I would be interested to see if his approach to the characters would change (or if they would simply have him replace his Mrs. White with a new Dr. Orchid). I would not be surprised if the 75th anniversary edition ends up being a re-issue of the 50th anniversary edition.
Interesting ... didn't know they did that. I was in touch with him a few years ago, and brought to his attention what they did with the Cluedo edition of the 50th, about which he claimed to have no knowledge of the Reverend Green atrocity, much less having contributed it. So Hasbro definitely did not go back to him for that little gem. Nor did Winning Moves apparently approach him to provide the Mr. Boddy artwork to match that collection (being run by ex-Parker Bros. execs around at the time). It's hard to imagine Hasbro investing that kind of cash for Clue/do these days. And since I've already made Struzan aware of the 50th Anniversary debacle, he might be too offended! Ha!