Clue Rustic “Farmhouse” Edition — Yee haw

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

BBP
Junior Detective

Re: Clue Rustic “Farmhouse” Edition — Yee haw

Post by BBP » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:18 am

You could, but take this advice from a buyer:

Don't automatically assume you'll sell something if you buy it.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:52 am

BBP wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:18 am
You could, but take this advice from a buyer:

Don't automatically assume you'll sell something if you buy it.
Ha. Good advice. I remember when the Orchid game came out, and I picked up a few copies of the Cluedo version when I was in OZ to sell back home, and it took me a long time to sell them, even just for cost and shipping. Shipping is the real killer anymore when it comes to eBay.

Still who is a “buy two, get a third free” deal aimed at? At least when it comes to Clue games...

Seems like Target might be trying to clear stock of something that’s not selling that well, without flat out cutting the price?

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:04 am

Finally picked up a copy of this. A couple of disappointing observations.

The rustic sepia-tone rough hewn look of everything is appreciated, but a little too liberal. The board and cards are both printed on uncoated brown paper — while giving the game an authentic rustic look, it gives the two parts of the game which get the most handling, no protection. These cards and board are going to get dirty very easily, with no way to clean them. Who knows, maybe that will add to the rustic charm?

But the cards themselves are also very cheap. One would expect a bit better than that for such an expensive game.

Also, the wooden weapons are a bit disappointing. They all appear similar, so might be confusing during a game.

Finally the booklet is suitably updated on brown paper with the new artwork, but the story is the same. Characters don’t have new bios to reflect the rustic character, and this is hardly a Tudor mansion. Why not Boddy’s country estate?

Otherwise, the new board art is really nice, and worth having. The new character artwork has a nice treatment that in general works well for all but Orchid, who seems a bit formal and out of place. The one oddball card is the Ballroom which is framed to show Mr. Green’s starting space — the only color on an otherwise monochromatic set of cards.

Last edited by Murder by Death on Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

coinilius
Spy

Post by coinilius » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:54 pm

You’re right, a quick change in story would really have helped sell the idea of this one - Boddy’s house in the country would have been a suitable setting. Judging by the pictures, the rustic, sepia look is a bit too overdone for my liking, and the cheapness you mentioned doesn’t sound very good. A shame as there is a pretty cool variation in this idea, it sounds like it just needs some more work.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:19 pm

The wooden weapons really don’t have enough contrast between them to easily tell them apart. Perhaps in a brightly lit room, this wouldn’t be a problem, but even in this well lit photo they’re not that distinct. Add to that most wont be viewing directly overhead but at an angle and they become harder to distinguish, especially against this heavily detailed monochromatic board. The rope is ridiculously oversized, and could probably stand to be reworked.

coinilius
Spy

Post by coinilius » Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:18 am

Man if ever there was a Clue version where they could have used the Horseshoe as a weapon...

PrinceAlarming
Spy

Post by PrinceAlarming » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:11 am

This was actually the first version I owned with Dr. Orchid in it. I hadn’t kept up on the newer versions being released and one day when I came to the rescue for two friends who struggled putting together their IKEA bed, in return I asked for dinner from a drive through and a copy of Clue with Dr. Orchid. The Rustic version was the only one they could find with Dr. Orchid in it. I’m not really a fan of the aesthetics, but with it having such a sturdy box I now actually use it as a piggy bank with emergency cash stashed inside underneath both of the cardboard trays. I’ve since bought at least 3 other games with Dr. Orchid that I actually use, while this one is just hiding money in plain sight.

coinilius
Spy

Post by coinilius » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:06 pm

Also why not redo the character art so they look like they are more country themed as well? So many missed opportunities with the design of this edition!

PrinceAlarming
Spy

Post by PrinceAlarming » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:55 am

coinilius wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:06 pm
Also why not redo the character art so they look like they are more country themed as well? So many missed opportunities with the design of this edition!
Agreed, even if the artwork is still reminiscent of existing artwork. They do it for the app, why not printed games?