Could Clue DTS be fixed?

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Jonathan Green
Spy

Could Clue DTS be fixed?

Post by Jonathan Green » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:57 pm

As you all may or may not know, next month will be the 10th annverisery of the infamous Clue Discover the Secrets. DTS was the first Clue game I ever played when I was around 9 years-old and I loved it. But now that I'm 15 years-old, I have a different outlook on it. I think most of us will agree that this is the worst Clue games. But I wonder, could it been fixed. I'll share my ideas soon.
"Our love is God." - Jason Dean, Heathers (1989)

cluedoking123
Senior Detective
Location: Behind you with the candlestick...don't turn around

Post by cluedoking123 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:35 am

Honestly my biggest issue with DTS is the rule's update. It doesn't bother me too much that they did a modern version. But all that bull about the specialty cards and the characters "powers" racing to the center of the board to make a final accusation...that's where that game goes wrong.
IT'S ALL TOO SHOCKING!

Jonathan Green
Spy

Rooms

Post by Jonathan Green » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:20 am

Here are a room ideas. (Hall, Study, Library, etc)
• Great Foyer
• Private Study
• Library
• Game Room
• Greenhouse
• Courtyard
• Kitchen
• Dining Room
• Living Room
--------------------------------------
Extras (No Order)
--------------------------------------
Bedroom
Theatre
Patio
Fountain
Garage
Gatehouse
Swimming Pool
"Our love is God." - Jason Dean, Heathers (1989)

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:52 pm

cluedoking123 wrote:Honestly my biggest issue with DTS is the rule's update. It doesn't bother me too much that they did a modern version. But all that bull about the specialty cards and the characters "powers" racing to the center of the board to make a final accusation...that's where that game goes wrong.
Well, the argument I’ve always made about that, specifically with respect to Secrets in Paris, which I think is otherwise a beautiful addition to the Cluedo family, is that all of that can be discarded and played normally. And to be fair, Master Detective/Super Cluedo has new rules as well which are often ignored in favor of the original rules, and alternately many have implemented the return to center rule to make the standard game a bit more challenging.

So I have to assume that the primary objection was and is how out of place some of the rooms are, and depicting the characters so generically, and radically, after a decade of what could be described as the culmination of the essence of Classic Cluedo.

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:46 am

I replayed this edition not too long ago. It's aged better than I'd expected. I still think Parker/Hasbro had a lot of good ideas for enhancing the game everyone knows, turning it into a slightly more involved experience. It's just ugly as sin.

So I don't think the mechanics of this edition need fixing, per say, but the artwork could use a complete overhaul. Though I would probably prefer to have extra cards dealt around the board to be collected rather than just piled up in the center.
"But look what happened to the cook!"

Sir Shamrock
Spy

Post by Sir Shamrock » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:06 pm

DTS just felt like Hasbro spiting in the face of everything Parker Brothers, Waddentions, and even Clue itself was working hard for. Instead of continuing on the 2002 train of creating plenty of spin-offs and expanding on the Clue Universe, they threw it all away for something that felt soulless. It would have been alright if they had DTS along with the regular edition, but no, they put all their eggs in one basket only to have it be dead a few years later. For what? A cheesy boardwalk board in the next edition? Cheap weapon cards and character tokens? Actually killing of a character for the sake of "modernizing"? Clue DTS is the straw that broke the camel's back and started a domino effect of everything that could be better with Clue today. The only way it could have been fixed is that it should have been a less of a deal.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:39 am

Sir Shamrock wrote:DTS just felt like Hasbro spiting in the face of everything Parker Brothers, Waddentions, and even Clue itself was working hard for. Instead of continuing on the 2002 train of creating plenty of spin-offs and expanding on the Clue Universe, they threw it all away for something that felt soulless. It would have been alright if they had DTS along with the regular edition, but no, they put all their eggs in one basket only to have it be dead a few years later. For what? A cheesy boardwalk board in the next edition? Cheap weapon cards and character tokens? Actually killing of a character for the sake of "modernizing"? Clue DTS is the straw that broke the camel's back and started a domino effect of everything that could be better with Clue today. The only way it could have been fixed is that it should have been a less of a deal.
To be fair, the 2011 version was basically a return to Classic Clue, it was 2 years later in 2013 when they added a bonus board of a boardwalk theme on the flip-side, something which I think is kinda of fun, and a decent Clue theme. It never replaced the Classic house theme, which for that matter, neither did DTS.

As for Doctor Orchid, well it was far more than modernizing. It was an effort to create a legitimate ethnic character, which also empowered women. White was the logical sacrifice, though many of us felt they could have updated White to be a doctor, and a minority — but that’s not the same as creating a character originally conceived as non-white; yet another reason to literally replace White with a character of color.

I don’t disagree that DTS felt soulless, but I don’t hold those two changes against them. They seem to at least be trying. That said, I suspect they really wanted a pink-colored character, and replacing dull White was a tailor made option.

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:18 am

And to be fair, nothing in the current edition says Mrs. White is dead. Hasbro can easily pull her back into the game whenever they want to, though I'd personally like to see the new version of her make at least one real appearance in a physical edition alongside Dr. Orchid.
"But look what happened to the cook!"

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:18 pm

Hasbro seems reluctant to give us optional characters and weapons for some reason, which is really funny because they gave us an optional board in the last edition with a completely different set of rooms.

Did the experiment fail? Did kids lose the cards, or become confused, or put the wrong cards in the envelope leading to ruined games?

Even the recent Silver Line game forced the use of the Poison as a 7th weapon, as opposed to an option (the way the Limited Gift Edition offered it).

It would seem a simple matter to give additional characters and weapons as an option, and let customers chose the ones they wish to play with. Then again, that would require not just additional cards, but tokens as well.

If they aren’t going to give us optional characters, then Mrs. White would best be added to a new MD format game, as an expansion character to a game with Orchid.

While Hasbro could bring back White at any time, it’s hard to imagine they’d ever do it, if it means replacing an original minority character with a white one, at least without replacing another character with a new minority character. I suppose they could make White an Asian character, but then it just gets confusing, and they’ve still replaced an original ethnic character, and one with a PHD at that. While they could do anything in the future, pragmatism and political correctness suggests they probably won’t. Not that White won’t turn up in special editions from time to time, but it seems like they’ve gotten themselves into a mess they can’t get easily fix, and invited more pressure from under-represented groups. Green is likely the next to go in favor of a new black character with a more clever name.