Alien Clue Concept Game

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Alien Clue Concept Game

Post by Murder by Death » Fri May 11, 2018 11:06 am

I love this idea for a franchise tie-in.

PeachFreak
Highbinder

Post by PeachFreak » Fri May 11, 2018 11:26 am

I actually really love this. I wonder what the penalty would be when the Xenomorph strikes.
"Like my daddy always says, give me a good neuromuscular poison any day."

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Sat May 12, 2018 12:59 am

This is brilliant! Where did you happen upon this little nugget?
"But look what happened to the cook!"

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sat May 12, 2018 2:18 pm

https://ivewhiz.deviantart.com/gallery/

I find the board artwork particularly well thought out. USAopoly could learn a thing or two from this artist.
PeachFreak wrote:I actually really love this. I wonder what the penalty would be when the Xenomorph strikes.
One has to assume the xenomorph kills whomever it attacks, and eliminates them from the game a la the clock cards in DTS. Since it appears the xenomorph appears in a room by a dice roll, I suppose it kills everyone in the room. Of course it could also be a less serious encounter and merely result in the loss of a turn.

I'm not exactly sure how the dice work or what prompts them to be rolled. There's no spaces on the board, so maybe specific doubles, or some other mechanism? There are two xenomorph dice, which presumably accounts for the nine sides required to specify one of the nine rooms. That leaves three sides which are either duplicates, or some other special instruction (like canceling the attack). But there are also two dice, with different rooms, so what happens when two different rooms are rolled? Does the roller get to chose? Or is only one die rolled, and if so, how does one choose which to roll? Perhaps the dice have to turn up only one room, and one null space in order to invoke an attack? That would certainly reduce the carnage during the course of one game, otherwise two rooms would cancel each other out. For the purposes of the alien, maybe they include the center "cellar" space as well, accounting for a balanced 10 locations, and two null spaces.

Maybe the dice are a choice during a turn, in order to get the xenomorph out of a room. If the xenomorph remains in a room until moved, then obviously a player cannot enter that room without being killed or losing a turn. So rolling the dice moves the xenomorph so that a player can get into a room to make a guess. That's actually not a bad addition to game play -- imagine a CLUE movie game where the guard dogs serve the same purpose. But rolling the dice means strategizing such that a player is not in any room thus risking themselves. And of course if a player rolls the dice when any other player is in a room, they risk a revenge roll later when they're in a room, unless it's truly randomized somehow.

I'd love to know how the artist was thinking this mechanism would work, it's obviously well thought out with the room symbols.