logo
Homepage Forums Clue Games Cluedo Games Stage & Screen Gaming Puzzle Series In Print Miscellaneous Links & Information
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Winning Moves' MASTER DETECTIVE Reissue
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TheArtofMurder.com Clue / Cluedo Discussion - Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Winning Moves' MASTER DETECTIVE Reissue Reply with quote

(As requested, a dedicated thread for all things related to this unexpected release)

First: why wasn't this released in time for the holiday season? Really, REALLY poor timing to not have this out until the beginning of the new year.

Second: I haven't had a chance to open my copy yet (still at work, but definitely busting it open later tonight), but here's my observations so far:

• The box is noticeably thinner than the original release, yet appears to be the same length. The original box was needlessly thick anyway, so I don't mind it.
  • The color of the box seems redder to me. I don't know if it's just an effect of aging, but the original edition I've got seems a deeper, almost maroon shade of red-purple. The new box is definitely RED.
  • The Clue logo is different, no longer presented on a kind of torn scrap of paper background. This I like, because I never saw the point/appeal of the original design.
  • Looking at the backside of the box, it appears the rules/history booklet has been reproduced in full, not scaled down from the original printing.
  • User Pherin91 has posted some photos of the game here.
  • I wish they'd have just gone ahead & made Miss Peach's token orange. I still think she's too pale to stick out as a distinct token. That being said, it is somewhat improved my Mme. Rose's token being so vivid.

The text on the back of the box has been modified to reflect the nostalgic nature of this reproduction:

Quote:
CLUE MASTER DETECTIVE

The Perfect Game For Murder Mystery Parties!

First introduced in the 1980's, Clue Master Detective is the super-sized version of Clue. More suspects, more weapons and more possible murder locations...all add up to more mayhem!

Was it Madame Rose in the Carriage House with the Candlestick? the rest of the text is taken directly from the original box

I think the notebooks are a real shame, especially considering how smart it could have been to print them double-sided & offer columns for up to 24 games per sheet (depending on how a player uses them, of course). I don't miss the big empty space for notes, as I often fold my original notebooks over anyway when I play the game.

That's really all I can say without the box being opened. I'll snap some good photos tonight & put up a more detailed comparison once I'm home and can set the two copies side-by-side.
alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright. I've opened the box & examined the components. Took a bunch of photos, but as I'm in the mountains this weekend, it may be some time before I can share them properly. No decent wifi unless I go camp out at McDonald's, so...

First, the obvious: this is not made of the same heavy stock as the original '88 release. I didn't think it would be, so I'm not disappointed.

The board is definitely thinner & lighter than the original, but it's got a nicely textured back which I consider a welcome cosmetic upgrade. The downside is the actual playing surface has a much glossier finish this time around, and the game loses some of its premium status because of the aesthetics. The graphics are beautifully printed, though. Crisp lines, vibrant colors, clear text. It looks good despite the potential for glare.

The cards are difficult for me to judge because my original deck is so lovingly worn, I can't guess how those cards would have looked when brand new. The card stock is noticably thicker than the deck included in Hasbro's current standard Clue, but again it seems slightly glossier than the older cards. The cards have also been very well printed, and none of the captions appear to have been altered. The backs are not the same bordered design from the original release.

The rules booklet has been reproduced in full, with the addition of some explanatory text about the changes in suspect bios over the years & the decision to adhere to keeping them exactly as they appeared in '88.

The weapons tokens appear, at a glance, to be the same sizes as the original set. They're decidedly lighter, though, feeling very similar to the metal used for the Silver Line edition (but with the appropriate gold-ish coloring this time).

All of the pieces come housed in resealable bags. A definite plus for me.

And now... The Shortcomings...

The suspect tokens. I know the bowling pin tokens are the cost efficient option these days, but I'd have really loved to see the original ball & cone pawns reproduced.

The dice are hideous. I'm definitely replacing them with something closer to the original version.

The notebooks... I can see the logic in scaling them down, but they're not nearly as impressive as the original sheets. A friend pointed out if a sheet is folded with the lists on the outside, the interior can still be used for additional notes. So, compromise? Maybe? I'd have preferred double sided if they were going to scale it down.

So, why now? Well, CMD has been brought up by a lot of people who play the new mobile game. I wouldn't be surprised if the digital revival of Gray, Brunette, Rose, and Peach had some influence on this reproduction being produced. Besides, enhanced Scrabble and Monopoly games are always readily available. It's about time everyone had access to a souped up Clue again.

The big question: is this worth it? For me, yes. I love playing CMD, but hate wearing out my older copy. Now I have one I can play with without worry. If you already have a copy of CMD in really good condition, you don't need this reprint unless you're a really dedicated collector. If your copy is worn out or incomplete, or you don't have CMD & can't bring yourself to shell out $50--$200 for it on eBay...then here you go! $30, boom, enjoy!

This is probably, definitely, the final nail in the coffin for the prospect of any new expanded editions directly from Hasbro with the new suspect designs. But I have LONG wanted this game to be remade/reprinted, so I'm actually very pleased with what we've got.
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@alwaysPeacock -- thanks for the review!! I look forward to seeing some pictures, especially if you could do side-by-side with the originals where there are differences.

What's really disappointing here is how little effort was put into re-issuing this edition. The pawns in particular are a big disappointment. This is a "deluxe" game, and the weapons tokens are evidence of that. Even at the time it had a "deluxe" feel, considering the standard board version. My original copy of this game certainly sounds like a nicer version than this one, and is still in excellent condition.

I'd look at the Frontgate Bookshelf re-issue of the 1986 edition, the basic counterpart to MD -- an edition created by the custom sister company of Winning Moves; Winning Solutions. At a minimum, make the pawns metal. Better still would be to use figurines -- pewter even like so many special branded editions. But I'd take the plastic versions like came with the 2002 edition, or even the current monochrome Cluedo version.

Then there's the board graphics -- what's wrong with a little gold trim, or contrast enhancements? Better yet, why not update the graphics with SuperCluedo artwork -- a version NEVER released in the US. That would have been a great way to update this game and make it something special. I also like the way they mixed and matched the graphic elements of the WM Classic Clue edition -- it offers something more than just a reprint.

Then here's the detective notebooks -- wasteful, and hardly deluxe.

I definitely won't be buying this game. About the only reason to buy it, as you say, is if the copy you have is well worn and you need a new one. However, I would love to see the new material integrated into the rules booklet. Reprinting that is about the only silver-lining here (no pun intended), and deserves some acknowledgement as they could have taken e cheap way out. Then again, the booklet is available in its entirety on the Hasbro website.

All told -- too little, too late.

As for the Marmalade connection -- where's Lord Azure? Maybe creating an optional additional character for play was warranted here.

My hopes on Hasbro doing an expansion game aren't quashed by this ... If anything, it might fuel demand for a modern expanded edition, adding Orchid, and White in the same game, also as Marmelade has done, and incorporating Lord Azure, who is otherwise orphaned at this point. Indeed, the fact that MD is such a basic re-issue helps with that theory -- it leaves room for Hasbro to release a more deluxe version with the updated look.
alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair: Winning Moves specializes in reproducing vintage/classic editions of games as closely as possible to their original designs (their bizarre Clue Classic hybrid edition the sole exception I can think of). All they're required to do to maintain their niche is license the original designs, reprint them, and sell a nostalgic product at a moderately premium price. The suspect pawns* aside, they've done exactly that here, sticking to their usual formula & quality (the fact they bothered to reprint the box insert is a big deal, considering the Classic edition came in a massive box with the worst possible storage tray). That's why Azure (prince or lord) isn't on hand. He wasn't in the original release, and it's not WM's job to change anything.

It would take interest from a more luxe company, or even just Hasbro themselves, to get a redesigned/cosmetically enhanced CMD on store shelves. Considering how horribly Hasbro did with their Silver Line editions, I hope they don't decide to try it themselves again.

*Regarding the pawns: it's very likely there's no game parts manufacturer's who even make those ball & cone style pawns anymore. I've been hunting for a replacement yellow pawn for YEARS, and the closest match I've ever found for the shape is twice as big as the original CMD pawns. CMD originally had a Waddingtons copyright on the box, so it's possible those pawns were designed & manufactured explicitly for that game, alone (akin to the busts in Super Cluedo Challenge, at least before the European market reproduced the core 6 for their own standard editions). As unattractive as I find the bowling pin pawns to be, I really can't fault WM for taking the more economical approach if it meant keeping the game just under $30 USD at retail. Wooden Halma style pawns would have worked, but all the ones I've run across are even smaller than the original CMD pieces, and certainly don't look/feel like anything special.

And Miss Peach should be an orange pawn. I'm Georgia born & raised, and I know for a fact peaches are not a pale, vaguely fleshy color. /rant

It's also worth pointing out the Classic hybrid edition came along after WM gave us a full reproduction of the 1949 edition of Clue. So straight reprints are very much their standard practice. I'm convinced the Classic edition was a smart, if rushed, response to the DTS debacle, especially considering how many Amazon reviews from that time recommend the WM-C edition over the DTS game. They needed a colorful game to appeal to a wider crowd, unconcerned with the 1949 nostalgia factor, and they still had the 1949 card artwork on hand from their 1st Edition series, so I can understand why they went the way they did (though I would have just used the '86 board, which was already a colorized version of the '49 version, but again, WM probably just had the '96 graphics on file from some other project & kept it easy for themselves).

That edition also used the bowling pin pawns. Maybe WM gets a really good deal for those, so they default to them.
alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's also just struck me that this year marks the 30th Anniversary of Clue Master Detective. Could explain why it's just appeared at the start of 2018 instead of a few months ago for the holidays. Definitely justifies why it's been reprinted at all, even if the 30 years point isn't mentioned anywhere on the product.
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alwaysPeacock wrote:
It's also just struck me that this year marks the 30th Anniversary of Clue Master Detective. Could explain why it's just appeared at the start of 2018 instead of a few months ago for the holidays. Definitely justifies why it's been reprinted at all, even if the 30 years point isn't mentioned anywhere on the product.

Ah. That's fine, but there are plenty of anniversary launches before the beginning of the anniversary year, especially in order to capitalize on the holiday sales. On the other hand, as a license from Hasbro, that might well have been a condition of the license, to intentionally not compete with the Silver Line Edition, or even the Dr. orchid edition (as its first full holiday worldwide). Frankly, the fact it marks the 30th anniversary edition makes my frustration worse.

As for the other points you raise -- whatever other valid thoughts, the pawns are attrocious. And yes, they could have offered anything else besides the cheapest possible option. I'd pay $35 for a decent set of pawns, especially some deluxe pawns. I bought the regular DETETIVE game, but until I opened it it, I was prepared to take it back and exchange it for the 3D edition, since that box specifically stated "metal" weapons, while the regular edition did not. Fortunately, the weapons were metal. I wasn't going to pay $30 for plastic weapons, and was prepared to pay the additional $5 even though I didn't need or want the 3D glasses.

With that in mind, while I realize it is NOT WinningMoves job to redesign the game -- remember, before they found a niche role in re-issuing classic games for nostalgia, they landed on the radar with The Limited Gift Edition -- a special version of the 1996 edition with an extra weapon even! It also had deluxe touches like special tokens, and some new weapon designs, and all this a year before Hasbro's 50th Anniversary Edition. Add to that their success in designing other original games, like the card games, Suspects, and a personal favorite, Mystery at Sea, based on the 1996 artwork, which gave us Mr. Boddy for the first time as an optional suspect. Also, keep in mind Winning Moves IS a more "luxe" company: Winning Solutions, that owns the Franklin Mint versions.

So no, it's not without precedent that Winning Moves could have done something else. Add to that, I'd never heard of Master Detective until I joined this forum a decade ago. And I loved Clue, and was a board game enthusiast as a teenager. So an exact reprint doesn't exactly hit the nostalgia button. As an expansion game, yes, it might be an exciting new offering for some who've never heard of it. Then again, I already have it -- so there's no motivation for me whatsoever to buy it. And that's going to be true for many previously aware of the game, who already have clean copies they obtained off eBay. Why intentially cripple your potential sales market by taking the cheap way out?

Seriously, as a collector, I may buy the Silver Line edition, just to get the silver version of the unique MD tokens only. But there's absolutely no reason for me to buy a reissue of MD. The thing about the 1949 re-issue, is that they offered something that was almost certainly in poor condition due to age and materials from the 1950s. But thats not true for MD. And this is just my opinion, but I don't really see value of an accurate MD reprint. It wasn't that interesting a design to begin with, and doesn't carry the prestige of being an authentic reprint of the original 1949 edition. Even the 1949 re-issue offered that special silver metal rope token -- worth the price of the game for me right there. What does MD offer? Cheaper tokens.

Don't get me wrong. You have a valid point in tying to offer a game for price point, especially one that may appeal to a whole generation of board gamers previously unaware of it. But in an age of digital, the only defining characteristics of a physical game, is the quality of the parts. If not pure nostalgia, the original MD is remarkably dated by today's standards, on all fronts, except the weapons tokens -- the one redeeming quality for those that don't have them. And you can be sure this game exists purely because Hasbro used them for their silver line edition. I wouldn't be surprised if Winning Moves had to pay for them, with Hasbro benefitting.

We can only hope this means we will still get a proper updated expansion edition from Hasbro ...
alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd forgotten WM did the LGE. That explains why they had the recolored '96 board on file for the Classic edition.

You're absolutely right that WM has a long history of designing their own spin off & deluxe editions. I was thinking more about recent history. It seems ever since they did their First Editions line, they've been leading the pack re: accurate reproductions of vintage, pre Hasbro cuts, games.

I hadn't considered the SL edition as a potential competitor in the holiday season, but I bet you're quite right that had something to do with the timing of the release. Which is a shame, since the SL game was such a disappointment (though aesthetically, it did a lot of things right).

The good news for the pawns though: anyone who wants to can very inexpensively get a set of wooden pawns online, or from a local games/hobby shop. I may do that myself. Even though they still won't be exactly the right size & shape, they'll look & feel nicer than the pins.

If Hasbro could work out a deal with Marmalade, I'd love to see their International suspects join the new standard six in a physical game. Then again, it's always possible those portraits were based on something Hasbro's artists had already mocked up (Peter Dobbin, the artist for Marmalade's game, isn't allowed to confirm/deny that. I've asked), and by year's end we'll have a new CMD/Super Cluedo on shelves.

Re, the dated aesthetics of the original CMD: you're not wrong. The weapons cards, in particular, look very tame/soft compared to the more vivid images we've seen since '88. And the suspects are very much from another time period, compared to the more timeless looks of the '96, '04, and '15 portraits. That being said, '80s nostalgia is very "in" now, so maybe that will work in its favor.

But probably not. I'd be very surprised if this reprint is on shelves for long. It's definitely a niche product with limited appeal (and it's not advertised anywhere, which certainly won't help it). I imagine it will stick around through the year, then begin to become scarce post holidays 2018. Or WM will kill off their Classic edition & push this CMD harder. Or something else entirely.
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed.

To your last point, and circling back to an original point of mine -- that's why a re-issue of the Super Cluedo edition would have been ideal for the US. This game is likely only going to be available in North America. Winning Moves in the UK is totally different, though it will be interesting to see if they do a similar release of MD or Super Cluedo.

But again, just releasing a reprint of Super Cluedo as an updated version of Clue MD would have been a must have for old and new Clue enthusiasts alike, and given the difficulty of obtaining from overseas, an edition which will seem brand new, and more current looking than MD, to most.

It's a shame really.
cacums
Ringer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't seem to find a way of purchasing it. Winning Moves doesn't have it listed on their website. Can someone point me in the right direction?
Suspect

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears to be a Barnes and Noble exclusive. It was released December 12th. It's where I got mine anyways.
cacums
Ringer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered it from B&N should be here sometime this week Smile yay
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cacums wrote:

Did you not already have a copy of MD? Or was it worn and in bad shape?
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alwaysPeacock wrote:

The suspect tokens. I know the bowling pin tokens are the cost efficient option these days, but I'd have really loved to see the original ball & cone pawns reproduced.

The dice are hideous. I'm definitely replacing them with something closer to the original version.

Here you go:

Link: eBay: Original Tokens 1

Link: eBay: Original Tokens 2

Link: eBay: Original Tokens, Weapons, and Dice

Interestingly, I did a search of completed listings on eBay, and found the average price of the Master Detective games, in pretty good condition, to be around $30. Many sold for less than $30 (of course there's shipping to account for, which B&N probably charges less for, but they will also charge sales tax which most eBay doesn't), and several more priced under $40.

It does make me wonder if this new game will drive original prices on eBay up or down.

I took a look @Pherin91 photos, and I do like the addition of the magnifying glass with the text "a bigger mystery to solve" on the box cover. Obviously it helps explain at a glance how this is different from regular clue.

I'm a bit disappointed by the board. I always hated how the Master Detective logo felt squeezed in on the sides. They could have definitely improved that.

In comparing it to the $30 DETECTIVE game I just bought, I definitely feel like a got the better deal. 11 rooms, 8 suspects, and 8 weapons, on a standard sized board. Clue could definitely go that route. MD has 12 rooms, 10 suspects, and 8 weapons. So clearly they're already very similar concepts.
alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it was on shelves in time for the holidays? Huh. I wonder if B&N advertised it in any of their holiday materials, since WM is doing jack all to promote it themselves.

Another point as to why someone would buy this reprint: it's drastically cheaper than most eBay listings for the original game (especially when you add in the cost of shipping such a heavy package). I got lucky. After years of seeing it sell online anywhere from $50-$200, I stumbled upon a copy at a yard sale for...$2. It's missing the Mustard pawn, and the box insert has collapsed, but otherwise it's in fair enough shape. The point being: anyone who just wants to play CMD in physical form now can for a relative bargain, compared to buying it secondhand online.

And add me to the camp that would love, LOVE to see the 2001 Super Cluedo reissued. Silly name changes aside (Monsieur "Death" ffs...) it's a gorgeous looking game. I'd also love to get my hands on Passport to Murder, even if Super Cluedo Challenge isn't the best of the advanced games (visually stunning in both forms, but I've found gameplay frustrating & too reliant on luck over process of elimination).

For me, Cluedo Super Sleuth sounds like the best of both worlds: advanced tabletop game mechanics combined with the classic Cluedo gameplay. These days, tile based games are everywhere, so a revamped, tiled Clue/Cluedo would certainly have a broad appeal to both casual players who know the branding, and to more "serious" gamers who think all Hasbro classics are too dated to play anymore.
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alwaysPeacock wrote:
So it was on shelves in time for the holidays? Huh. I wonder if B&N advertised it in any of their holiday materials, since WM is doing jack all to promote it themselves.

Another point as to why someone would buy this reprint: it's drastically cheaper than most eBay listings for the original game (especially when you add in the cost of shipping such a heavy package). I got lucky. After years of seeing it sell online anywhere from $50-$200, I stumbled upon a copy at a yard sale for...$2. It's missing the Mustard pawn, and the box insert has collapsed, but otherwise it's in fair enough shape. The point being: anyone who just wants to play CMD in physical form now can for a relative bargain, compared to buying it secondhand online.

And add me to the camp that would love, LOVE to see the 2001 Super Cluedo reissued. Silly name changes aside (Monsieur "Death" ffs...) it's a gorgeous looking game. I'd also love to get my hands on Passport to Murder, even if Super Cluedo Challenge isn't the best of the advanced games (visually stunning in both forms, but I've found gameplay frustrating & too reliant on luck over process of elimination).

For me, Cluedo Super Sleuth sounds like the best of both worlds: advanced tabletop game mechanics combined with the classic Cluedo gameplay. These days, tile based games are everywhere, so a revamped, tiled Clue/Cluedo would certainly have a broad appeal to both casual players who know the branding, and to more "serious" gamers who think all Hasbro classics are too dated to play anymore.

You're right. If it was in the stores December 12, one has to wonder why the website still has no artwork. Poor Barnes & Nobel. Does anyone even shop in bookstores anymore? They've had such a hard year. And hard to buy it online if there's nothing to see.

Do a completed price search on eBay -- the average prices are pretty reasonable at around $30, and games in good condition. Chances are, more people will discover MD on eBay than B&N, both old and new versions. Like I said, who even goes into a bookstore any more?

Since Super Cluedo was never released in North America, they could change the names to anything they want -- and they should. Frankly there's no reason not to simply reprise the MD names, and merely update the artwork.

Super Slueth with some re-worked rules would be a great re-issue. Passport to Murder is a hard one. I don't think Super Challenge rules work. But certainly a reworking of the rules would make it a beautiful re-issue.

Last edited by Murder by Death on Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Side note: I bought THESE pawns some years back intending to use them in lieu of the incomplete wooden set in my original CMD. They're very sturdy despite having hollow bases, and from what I can tell, they seem identical to the set included with the redesigned Super Cluedo. While not an exact match for CMD (Sgt. Gray would have to be the black pawn, unless you painted that one piece, and Peach would have to be the orange pawn) they're certainly a more attractive option than the tall, dull pins included in the WM reprint.

Amazon is also a decent resource for finding unpainted wooden pawns, if a more creative player wanted to paint their own to their preferred color hues.
cacums
Ringer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Murder by Death wrote:
cacums wrote:

I do but it was given to me by my now deceased grandmother. I try not to use it for sentimental reasons. I mainly pull out Super Cluedo for an MD styled game. But Mr. De'Ath and Mme. Mystique don't tickle me the same way M. Brunette and Madame Rose do.

alwaysPeacock wrote:
they're certainly a more attractive option than the tall, dull pins included in the WM reprint.

Am I the only one who doesn't actually hate those pawns? I was first introduced to them and actually liked them in the 1949/1996 cluster reprint.
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cacums wrote:
Murder by Death wrote:
cacums wrote:

I do but it was given to me by my now deceased grandmother. I try not to use it for sentimental reasons. I mainly pull out Super Cluedo for an MD styled game. But Mr. De'Ath and Mme. Mystique don't tickle me the same way M. Brunette and Madame Rose do.

alwaysPeacock wrote:
they're certainly a more attractive option than the tall, dull pins included in the WM reprint.

Am I the only one who doesn't actually hate those pawns? I was first introduced to them and actually liked them in the 1949/1996 cluster reprint.

Well that's an excellent justification of a purchase of this reissue. Somewhat rare, but essentially a variation on the replacing a worn edition rationale.

I agree about Super Cluedo. Which is why I suggested they should have used that artwork in an updated MD edition which was never released in North America, and use the proper MD names instead. If they had, I would have already placed my order. And the superior artwork on the back of the box might make for a few more purchases by those who are unfamiliar with either edition.
alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't completely hate the pin style pawns. They're a step above the standard Clue/Sorry style pawn, for sure, but knowing the charms of the original CMD wooden pawns makes these seem a bit...lackluster.

To start, a statement from a WM rep regarding this release, in response to an inquiry I sent before purchasing my copy:

Quote:
The game is currently available EXCLUSIVELY at B&N. It is not for sale anywhere else. It is a reproduction. The only thing we improved was the extra space on the score pad.

The game comes with the tri-fold gameboard that is the exact size of the original game. It also comes with the 30 weapon/suspect/room cards for the game and 8 brass weapons. The pieces in this version, however, are plastic rather than wooden in the original. The detective notepad now features 2 sheets in one rather than the one game sheet with a large space for notes. The rules booklet still has the Clue History and Strategy guide, and is largely the same as the original with only a few minor grammatical errors corrected, but otherwise contains all of the same content in the 12 page booklet.

Sincerely,

Evelyn Cuoco
Consumer Liaison
Winning Moves Games
Classic, Retro, Cool and Fun
75 Sylvan Street, Suite C-104
Danvers, Ma 01923
1-800-664-7788 x 114
http://www.winning-moves.com
[email protected]

I wouldn't agree that the detective notebooks have been improved, but to be fair, I never really used the big open space on the original sheets (at least not in any kind of set/practical way). I'd be happier if these new sheets were double sided. I'm also not sure if these new weapons are brass. The coloring is right, but they're somewhat lighter than the original set. If they are brass, perhaps WM found a way to make them with less metal than the original set, while maintaining the correct scale.

Now for the photos. I've finally had a chance to lay out both editions to compare them. Click to enlarge, as usual:

Boxes, with size comparison:

Side-by-side, and the '18 board on top of the '88 board:

Suspects:

Weapons:

'88 paper components:

'18 paper components:

So it's a very well made reproduction, with enough minor differences to keep future collectors from becoming confused. The board, weapons, and notebooks have been made with modern standards in mind, that is, they're not using more paper/metal than is really necessary to achieve the desired effect. The coloring isn't 100% accurate, but there's no loss of quality from one edition to the next. The graphics are still as sharp on the new board as they are on the old board -- same for the cards. The weapons token also feel as if they've got some kind of coating on them. If that's the case, perhaps this set won't lose its shine over the years, as so many older weapons sets tend to do.

Since this is a B&N exclusive, it wouldn't surprise me if Hasbro were using this to test the waters for an expanded game. Perhaps by the time the 2018 holiday season rolls around, Hasbro will be putting their own Super Clue/Cluedo on shelves with all the updated graphics such a release would deserve. Though would they drop Rose to keep Orchid in the lineup, or would they expand the lineup from 10 to 12 & incorporate Azure (as the mobile game has done) or even Rusty (whose presence would make a bit more sense than that of a foreign royal)?
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice review.

The colors look a bit richer on the '18 edition, even if the board seems lighter. It looks slightly more modern than the old board as a result. Or maybe it's just the pictures.

I'm not sure I care for the card back design, not sure why they eliminated the white edge. But it does look new and modern. I wonder how they will wear.

Interesting they went with a green box back with a red box top. Holiday release choice?

The new board looks much thinner, does it feel as substantial, or more flimsy?

Do the new weapons tokens more or less match those included in the Silver Line edition in terms of weight and size? I'd love to know if they all weigh the same and the same as the originals.

Did you take pics of the inside of the box? I was curious to see what you were referring to in an earlier post.

Im also not sure I like how asymmetrical the logo looks now with the way they've slapped the Clue logo on there ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TheArtofMurder.com Clue / Cluedo Discussion - Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: