CLUE "Silver Line" Edition

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:43 pm

Just picked up a copy of the Silver Edition at Toys R US -- all US Stores have gone into liquidation mode today. I was able to pick up the last copy on the shelf for 30% off, or $20.95. It wasn't a huge savings, but I was not going to pay $30 for this thing ...

Except, I started thinking about whether because it's a Toys-R-Us "exclusive", whether it would be a much bigger collectable given that shortly after the game appeared in the stores, that T-R-U went out of business. I suppose it's possible that Hasbro will continue making the edition, and offer it to Barns & Nobel, or Target, or something.

However, if this was a one shot, and Hasbro filled the order, then "broke the mold", this may very well be worth a lot (well more than usual) in the future. I see the "exclusive" label is a sticker on the outside of the plastic wrap, so that's kind of unfortunate, as it's not part of the box -- such that if Hasbro does another run for Target, or someone else, then there won't be any way to distinguish this "exclusive" edition from another. I guess I can save the plastic with the sticker, and that may make this edition more valuable in the future, but somehow I doubt it.

Anyway, looking forward to exploring this edition finally. By the way -- the regular Clue game (feat. Orchid) is on sale for less than $7, if anybody needs that one for themselves, friends or family, or just to preserve unopened. They had tons of them at my store -- almost like Hasbro had just sent them a huge shipment before they announced they were closing.

For those of you who can get to Toys R Us this weekend, go -- the crowds were spectacular at mine -- the shelves will be empty very soon ... I doubt they make it to May 15th before they close the doors. It's very sad.

Sir Shamrock
Spy

Post by Sir Shamrock » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:07 pm

Lucky! It was only 10% off at mine!

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:28 am

I'm curious if your board is as poorly aligned as mine, MBD. Might make me feel better knowing if the whole run was assembled without any quality control.

I hadn't thought about the potential resale value of this edition. Especially with TRU going under, it would have helped to have that "exclusive" sticker affixed to the box itself.

Not that I imagine I'll ever sell off any of my editions. I'll let my heirs decide what to do with the mountain of Clue products when my time comes, lol.
"But look what happened to the cook!"

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:27 pm

@alwaysPeacock -- sorry to say, my board is almost perfect. There's a small crease under the printed portion, which appears to be in the underlying cardboard, for some reason, but it's almost impossible to see without looking at it from an angle in the right light.

Speaking of which, the board is a lot more interesting-looking than I was expecting it to be. You had mentioned on various occasions that this edition needs to be seen in person, and I would now agree with that. The kind of foil, tin-type, looking affect on the colored rooms, really works nicely with the rest of the look. That is kind of lost in pictures. I'm still curious as to how well the highly polished silver moving tiles will wear over time, but otherwise, it's a very cool-looking board.

In fact, the game as a whole, works pretty well -- even the generic moving tokens. Everything is subtly muted, with a nice sheen that again, the pictures don't do justice. While I tend to agree with everything @alwaysPeacock has said in his review, I want to especially comment on the biggest failing of the game, and that is the cards. While the backgrounds of the cards have gone from blue to a welcome gray (something the Marmalade game needs to do a better job matching from theme to theme), the suspects and rooms are otherwise too vibrantly colored. They don't really match the the look of the rest of the game -- especially in person. At a minimum, they should have tried to match the silvery sheen by muting the colors. And while I know it's more expensive to change the cards, I would have loved to see something like the 2000 UK edition which looks into the rooms from the outside -- something that would have worked well with the B&W/color theme as well as the box cover -- which is excellent! And is it me, or are these cards smaller than the regular game? They're probably the same size, but given that they are custom cards anyway, it would have been nice had then been larger. And why not use this opportunity to include the full set of bonus cards included with the Cluedo edition of the game?

Oh yes, and the dice are horrible. Black & white would have been sufficient, as the silver just looks cheap.

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:36 pm

I almost purchased it, but I'm sadly still a little sore about the whole Orchid/White thing. I already have Orchid in one edition and can't really justify getting a second version of basically the same game. Had I not had the standard Orchid edition, this might be the one I'd spring for.

It is a really nice edition, too. If only we had the Mrs. White option. :(

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:12 pm

cacums wrote:I almost purchased it, but I'm sadly still a little sore about the whole Orchid/White thing. I already have Orchid in one edition and can't really justify getting a second version of basically the same game. Had I not had the standard Orchid edition, this might be the one I'd spring for.

It is a really nice edition, too. If only we had the Mrs. White option. :(
I should really have a bunch of new Mrs. White cards printed up to match these Orchid editions, along with a corresponding sticker to cover the Orchid stating space, and sell them on eBay until they shut me down. ;-)

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:04 am

I would buy it in a heartbeat!

Sir Shamrock
Spy

Post by Sir Shamrock » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:31 pm

For the last month, I got a job at Toys r Us (for the Clue games of course) and it seemed like first the Monopolys sold out within the first few months of the sale, then Clue went out but the end of May (managed to get 3!), then Scrabble came dead last with 2 weeks left until the end.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:45 am

Sir Shamrock wrote:For the last month, I got a job at Toys r Us (for the Clue games of course) and it seemed like first the Monopolys sold out within the first few months of the sale, then Clue went out but the end of May (managed to get 3!), then Scrabble came dead last with 2 weeks left until the end.
What was the final markdown on Clue?

Sir Shamrock
Spy

Post by Sir Shamrock » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:39 am

70% I believe