logo
Homepage Forums Clue Games Cluedo Games Stage & Screen Gaming Puzzle Series In Print Miscellaneous Links & Information
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Clue comic book coming this summer.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TheArtofMurder.com Clue / Cluedo Discussion - Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zoo977
Master Detective

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
I feel they're taking this diversity thing to the extreme.

That's two. That's literally two gay people my dude.

I was trying to figure some stuff out, just see what I could throw together. This might be spoilery stuff, so I'll put this all in white if you don't wanna read it.

⬥The name of this flower is the Surobi Zinnia. Surobi is a town in Afghanistan, which is kinda where Mustard served while he was doing business with White
⬥Zinnias are used for medicinal purposes, and we've got at least three suspects in that industry. Although, the appearance of the flower does remind me of the opium poppy
⬥Colonel Mustard seems to be taking apart his pocketwatch, is there anything small besides a piece of paper that could be kept there?
⬥The way the pipe is held, it's moving up from the floor, almost like a golf club, but Ochre is by far the shortest of the cast?
⬥Miss Scarlet's asking for flowers, and that's the last thing we see Upton getting
⬥There's that one closeup of Peacock's face where she has a bit of blood over her left eye, but it's not in any other shots of her? I can't really make sense of that at all

Michael
Mastermind

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was really referring to the ethnicities. But really, what are the chances that, within this small group of people, there happens to be an out gay man and an out *beep*?
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say the 2nd comic is skewing off into confusion for me. They found a secret room, but not a secret passage? I find it much harder to understand where I am in the mansion or what is going on, exactly. And one would hope that whatever makes storytelling in a comic unique would have presented itself by e second issue.

As @alwaysPeacock mentioned earlier that the installment seemed anticlimactic and drawn out -- and I can say that one of the reasons I've never been a big fan of comics is that they do tend to draw out multi-issue installments, with the climaxes happening in only a few panels in the final issue. The second issue seems to confirm this will be the case for Clue as well.

I had high hopes from that one cover showing the mansion overhead that we'd get a story that focuses on the things that make Clue unique ... But so far, I'm only seeing generic murder/mystery features, and clever color-coded bedrooms.

All things considered, this installment seems to be killing time by deviating from the classic game. We may get back on track with the next issue, which can also happen in comic series, or it may drag on like this until the final pages of the final issue.
CluedoKid
Con Artiste

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that makes Clue unique in some respect is that it is not like And Then There Were None where people are getting killed one-by-one (at least until Discover the Secrets came about), but instead, it centralizes on one victim. Sure, the movie introduced a handful of staff and extras to kill, but to ramp up the action and allow us to see the different styles of murder unfold. The suspects didn't die.

Here, I feel like like people are getting killed before we get to know them, and while usually I like mysteries with multiple deaths, the trope feels overplayed here.

In this day and age, it's more than plausible to have more than one gay character on the scene, with attitudes (in much respect) having changed, with less people in the closet. Even the features of this website become pretty archaic when a word like leꜱbian becomes *beep* when you try to type it normally.
Snoop

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that IDW has done well with this as a limited series so far. By focusing the story on Surobi zinnia and relating the suspects' motives to that plant, IDW has allowed for a streamlined narrative. No need to dedicate issues in part or full to explain Mr. Green's connections to Mr. Boddy and then Mrs. Peacock's and then Dr. Orchid's and Senator White's. Everyone is connected to the plant. This also ties the limited series to the newest iteration of the game through Dr. Orchid and her "plant of incredible medicinal properties."

Perhaps IDW and Hasbro are using a limited series to test out Clue as a comic property. Transformers and G.I. Joe lend themselves to the continuous comic format more readily than Clue, which ostensibly has a contained narrative of who killed Mr. Boddy. Depending on the success of this five-issue limited series, perhaps they would release another limited series with an accelerated, simplified story or a longer one closer aligned to the game (either in structure or narrative).
Michael
Mastermind

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a convention exclusive pack on EBay. It arrived yesterday so I did an "unboxing" video review I was pleasantly surprised to find it came with Clue Suspect Cards.

https://youtu.be/9XGFfOqSHlk
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
I bought a convention exclusive pack on EBay. It arrived yesterday so I did an "unboxing" video review I was pleasantly surprised to find it came with Clue Suspect Cards.

https://youtu.be/9XGFfOqSHlk

If you're going to refer people to see your collection on this website, after stating you must have all things Clue, you really need to update your collection! LOL

Mr. Boddy first appears on his own playing card in the Mystery At Sea card game.

The cards are very cool. I don't really understand why White and Orchid duplicate colors of other characters backgrounds instead of using their own. Too bad they didn't include Ochre, Amarillo and Hogarth.

It's too bad they didn't issue a full set of cards including weapon art, and rooms. One could use these sets of cards with almost any game board that way. Maybe an actual game board will make its way to market based on the game, wi a new set of cards with each edition? That would be a cool development. In fact, it's too bad they didn't include a part of the board with each issue, so once you buy them all, you have a complete game to be assembled like a puzzle.
Michael
Mastermind

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mystery at Sea is a game I've never played! Haha.

Hogarth, indeed!

You're right though. A board would have been cool to end up with. It would give a reason to keep collecting....
alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The artist for one of Issue 5's covers posted his finished design on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/BXEanoUlZpP/

Just before in his feed is the unfinished version as well, for the curious.
CluedoKid
Con Artiste

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definately some clues in that!

Spoilers

The lead pipe is closest to Orchre.

As is the candlestick to Peacock, which I presume is the most likely weapon that was used for their murder.

And the gun is pointed at Boddy!

Is this to say, Plum may be strangled and Armarillo stabbed?
Fleet Street Look-Out

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting observations. I hadn't even noticed the proximity of the weapon pictures to the suspect portraits. In the artist's earlier post of the pen & ink version, he mentioned he got to read the first few issues before working on the cover. I'd take "first few" as 3. It really does seem to be setting up Green, Orchid, Mustard, and Scarlett as the last ones standing, though. Given the story so far, that seems pretty likely. I was actually expecting Plum to be knocked off by the end of Issue 2.
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael wrote:

Hogarth, indeed!

You're right though. A board would have been cool to end up with. It would give a reason to keep collecting....

You've never played, or don't have? Wink

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh...well, it's not as bad as the Rev. Green whipped up for the 50th Anniversary style Cluedo games...but it's definitely not on par with the rest of the Struzan portraits.

I'll admit, however, that's a much better Boddy/Black than Parker/Hasbro slapped into the Clue Mysteries game. Looked more like the second VCR game's Inspector Pry than the master of an English country estate.
Michael
Mastermind

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Murder by Death wrote:
Michael wrote:

Hogarth, indeed!

I'm pretty sure I have it but have never opened it. All my stuff is in a giant pile right now due to some renovation work. I'm going to do a better inventory soon.
CluedoKid
Con Artiste

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alwaysPeacock wrote:
Huh...well, it's not as bad as the Rev. Green whipped up for the 50th Anniversary style Cluedo games...but it's definitely not on par with the rest of the Struzan portraits.

I'll admit, however, that's a much better Boddy/Black than Parker/Hasbro slapped into the Clue Mysteries game. Looked more like the second VCR game's Inspector Pry than the master of an English country estate.

He still looks really weird, like he doesn't belong in the same set (or era) as the others.
Investigator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Murder by Death wrote:
Michael wrote:

Hogarth, indeed!

He Looks 100
MrGreenJeans
Slueth

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone else read #3 yet? Pretty slow issue comparatively.
Michael
Mastermind

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did that come out today?
cluedoking123
Senior Detective

Location: Behind you with the candlestick...don't turn around

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrGreenJeans wrote:
Has anyone else read #3 yet? Pretty slow issue comparatively.

I don't know. I liked the ending of this issue.
MrGreenJeans
Slueth

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I had already assumed what they reveal at the end of the issue, so it didn't feel all that surprising. Interested to see where they take it from here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TheArtofMurder.com Clue / Cluedo Discussion - Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: