logo
Homepage Forums Clue Games Cluedo Games Stage & Screen Gaming Puzzle Series In Print Miscellaneous Links & Information
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Clue comic book coming this summer.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TheArtofMurder.com Clue / Cluedo Discussion - Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael
Mastermind

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject: Clue comic book coming this summer. Reply with quote

http://horrorfreaknews.com/comic-based-board-game-clue-will-murder/15564
CluedoKid
Con Artiste

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder who some of the characters are...

also looks like it will be have both Mrs. White and Dr. Orchid. Cool!
Master Detective

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Scarlet looks like she just stepped out of the Jem comic books I mean

They're the same person right

I love this design and the jem comics ssshhhhhhhh
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH dear.

So who are the other four people in this picture? The staff that the 6 guests are supposed to follow their instructions?

Orchid is there, but who's the woman in White? Could Mrs. white be a character once again?

Can't imagine this will have much to do with the new board games, and electronic games. Seems like a wasted effort to re-brand and build a new franchise.

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm kind of excited about this. I like how the first preview image suggests that the environment these characters exist in is very much the game board brought to "life."

Very cool to see what might be a new spin on White alongside Dr. Orchid. Maybe (probably not) Hasbro will take some inspiration from this to launch a new spin-off game which would add White back to the lineup. Again, not likely (side note: I would honestly be perfectly happy with a revamped Super Cluedo Challenge/Passport to Murder style game. Hasbro has proven they're crap when it comes to innovation, so simply dusting off an out of print game would be fine by me).

It's pretty easy to pick out the classic 6 and Orchid in the overhead image. As for the others...not sure. There's a picture of two men who could easily be a butler and Boddy/Black. Not sure who the woman between the "butler" and Plum is supposed to be (a reimagined Peach, maybe?), and I'm just as stumped by the man with the green tie, standing behind the blue jacket I assume is Peacock (maybe...Inspector Brown?).

Scarlet is really the only who seems completely out of place. She doesn't even look like she belongs in the same universe as everyone else.

I really don't mind that the writer & artist appear to be taking this in their own direction. I'm not a comic book aficionado, but it's my understanding this sort of drastic reimagining is not uncommon in comics. I recently learned there's been a whole line of comics announced based on classic cartoons, with reimagined Flintstones & Scooby Doo characters & the like. I highly doubt anyone is trying to rebrand Clue/do. Hasbro will have its game & do whatever they decide to do with the brand (so far, not much), and the comics will be their own thing (much like the movie really).
CluedoKid
Con Artiste

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Green makes me think of Paul Ryan.
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re-brand is a misleading term -- unify the brand is what I had in mind. Like the great decade of the 2002 edition and the unified spinoffs, puzzles novels, etc.

This may fly with comic book aficionados, but it does nothing but fragment the brand. Clue the movie existed at a time before Parker and Waddingtons had really started spinning off the franchise and building brand strength. But that's not how these franchises are built today -- fragmenting them can wreak havoc With brand recognition and franchise expansion.

Either way, they look interesting and I'm curious to see the approach they take.
JepMZ
Suspect

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very interested! I'm really hating what they did with Miss Scarlet tho. What on earth were they thinking?
alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minor update on this: the publishers have released the cover art for the first issue (one main cover for the series, I gather, and three more for each first issue featuring three different endings). And it looks like this will be a five part series, to be available starting in June.

Product page with covers: http://www.idwpublishing.com/product/clue-1/
cluedoking123
Senior Detective

Location: Behind you with the candlestick...don't turn around

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for keeping us updated Very Happy
alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More cover art has been released, along with promo blurbs for each issue (three listed so far on the publisher's website). The images are pretty large, so I'm using thumbnails here for the sake of space. Click to view all the details:

ISSUE 1: (available June 2017)
When the mysterious Mr. Boddy turns up dead at his own dinner party, everyone’s a suspect! Miss Scarlett, Colonel Mustard, Mrs. Peacock, Professor Plum—all the familiar faces from the famous board game are back, with a couple new twists. But will Boddy’s Body be the last to fall, or is it just the beginning? Follow the clues and solve the mystery in IDW’s new CLUE series!

ISSUE 2 (available July 2017)
After multiple murders rock the mansion, our earnest investigators discover a mysterious room that may hold all the answers. Meanwhile, Upton works to make all the guests happy—and keep them alive!

ISSUE 3 (available August 2017)
As suspicions continue to mount, we learn more and more about our guests’ strange connections to a mysterious flower with curative properties. Plus, our faithful butler reveals a shocking truth that will change everything!

I'm assuming the other images we've already seen (Scarlett posing with a microphone, and Green & Orchid posing with the lead pipe) will be featured on Issues 4-5. Looking at the release dates, I guess we'll have plenty to keep us entertained (or horrified) through October (just in time for Hasbro or someone to reissue yet another bookshelf game for the holidays...)
cacums
Ringer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty excited for this!
Con Artiste

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too. Some of the characters look unconventional, sure, but it's still exciting.
Ringer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Butler looks to be with Mr. Meadow-Brook.
Snoop

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to Midtown Comics' website, Clue #1 will be released tomorrow. Release dates are subject to change, but IDW's website lists Clue #1's release as "June 2017", and since IDW releases on Wednesdays, tomorrow is their last chance.

Late last week, A.V. Club posted a preview with the first few pages and panels.
alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very excited to finally get my hands on this. I've been checking IDW's site every other day for an actual release date. Never realized Wednesday was their regular release day, would have made the waiting easier.

I'm adding those first issue too my last minute birthday list (b-day on Saturday). Hopefully that will work. Smile
TheButlerButInnocent
Snoop

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first issue is out!

I tried posting a separate thread to discuss Issue #1, but I think that since I am so new (also: hello! hi! hey! howdy!) I cannot start threads yet. I think it would be good to have separate threads for each issue so that we can have in-depth discussions and speculate without running the risk of spoiling anything for anyone.
alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the madhouse, "Butler." I don't recall any kind of probationary period back when I first joined, but given the...antics, of some recent new members, I wouldn't surprised if Michael flipped some digital switch just for that purpose.

More to the point: I like your idea for the separate thread for each issue. Although, since they seem poised to be released once a month, I'm more of the camp that one month is long enough for any "spoilers" to be fair game. There's also no guarantee everyone here will buy the comics, and those members may just want a kind of second-hand review of the story & series.

Or, much like our thread on the mobile game, we can continue to confine all talk of the comics to one thread. You'll have noticed each post alternates between a white or light grey background. If you want to post something that's potentially spoilery, you can check to see which color background your post will have, and edit the text to display in the same color.

EDIT: I attempted to demonstrate the effect, but got the wrong shade of grey. It's almost foolproof on a white background post, though. Someone here might know which shade of grey (I hear there's about 49 or so...) works best.
alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Testing on a white background:

(spoiler) BOO! I'M A GHOST! (spoiler)
TheButlerButInnocent
Snoop

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alwaysPeacock wrote:
More to the point: I like your idea for the separate thread for each issue. Although, since they seem poised to be released once a month, I'm more of the camp that one month is long enough for any "spoilers" to be fair game. There's also no guarantee everyone here will buy the comics, and those members may just want a kind of second-hand review of the story & series.

Or, much like our thread on the mobile game, we can continue to confine all talk of the comics to one thread. You'll have noticed each post alternates between a white or light grey background. If you want to post something that's potentially spoilery, you can check to see which color background your post will have, and edit the text to display in the same color.

A single thread makes more sense, especially considering that there is the option to make the text blend in with the background. Thanks for the tip!

alwaysPeacock wrote:
EDIT: I attempted to demonstrate the effect, but got the wrong shade of grey. It's almost foolproof on a white background post, though. Someone here might know which shade of grey (I hear there's about 49 or so...) works best.

49 or so shades of gray? That explains why there has been Sergeant Gray ... and Lord Gray ... and Earl Gray ... and Mr. Slate-Gray!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TheArtofMurder.com Clue / Cluedo Discussion - Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: