Clue: Mystery at the White House

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Clue: Mystery at the White House

Post by Murder by Death » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:16 am

So I found this graphic online and thought it would make a cool Cluedo edition. Since it's the White House, it would be Clue. Here's the setup:

Industrialist Mr. Boddy has been invited to a state dinner and a night in the Lincoln Bedroom. A little after 3 AM, Mr. Boddy is found dead at the foot of the service stairs of the State Floor. The secret service confirm that no one entered the second floor or the ground floor prior to the discovery of the body. The only suspects found on the State Floor were Mrs. White, the White House maid, and 5 guests also in attendance at the state dinner and also spending the night in the third floor guest rooms: Miss Scarlet, Colonel Mustard, Mr. Green, Mrs. Peacock, and Professor Plum. All six suspects were acquaintances of Mr. Boddy, including his former maid, Mrs. White.

I think for any of this to be plausible, it would have to be a pre-WW II era before security would have been as tight as it likely is today. Although the movie Murder at 1600 made it seem plausible.

The game uses a standard set of suspect cards and weapons. The rooms, however conform to the rooms of the State Floor of the White House.

But, if the actual floorplan of the White House is to be used, then the rules for movement are going to have to be modified somewhat. Here's what I've got so far:

*The solution envelope is placed on the green "Clue" area with the red "X" covering the service stairs, which is inaccessible from all other rooms and the corridor.
*All the players start in the ENTRANCE HALL, which they must first exit before re-entering on a separate turn.
*Play proceeds up and down the central corridor using only one die.
*A room may only be entered from the corridor, unless a player rolls a 1 or a 6 from inside a room, then they may chose to move into any adjacent room without returning to the corridor. All other rolls require an exit to the corridor.
*There is only one secret passage from the EAST ROOM to the PANTRY.
*The FAMILY DINING ROOM and the STAIRS may only be entered from other rooms by an exact roll of 1 or 6. This adds an extra challenge since once in those rooms, the only way to exit is by again rolling a 1 or a 6. Since a player can make a suggestion only once in the same room, they forfeit a turn until the precise roll is made. It might also make a useful trap for an opponent by calling them into the room during a suggestion. Likewise, an exact roll is required to exit the PANTRY after arriving by secret passage, or otherwise return to the EAST ROOM.

I think that covers the oddly configured board. Anybody else have some ideas how to better work moving around this board?

Otherwise, one simply renames the standard Clue rooms on the basic game board which then has no direct correlation to the floorplan of the White House, which is part of the fun of this kind of edition.

This is just an idea ... not really planning on working on this anytime soon. Suffice it to say, the floorplan and cards could be richly decorated to reflect the elegant interiors of the White House, as well as some interesting biographies of the suspects and possibly some interesting histories and depictions of the weapons.

Last edited by Murder by Death on Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:26 am

Very nice. It's a bit plain though.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:07 pm

Black wrote:Very nice. It's a bit plain though.
Thanks Black. It's not mine per se. I just did some minimal modification to asses its value as a Cluedo edition. I've no doubt the artwork could be fantastic based on this template. This is more of a concept exploration.

Researching the history of the White House even more, which makes the setup more plausible, would use the original design of the White House in a setting prior to 1902, when a corridor ran the entire length of the first floor so all rooms would be accessible from the corridor without alteration, or course the current interiors wouldn't be authentic. But that would eliminate some of the complicated dice rules.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:56 am

HA! How funny, somebody already sort of did this:

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black » Sat Dec 26, 2009 4:20 am

I see you used face your manga for the suspects

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:32 am

I wonder if the secret service is now monitoring my site...
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:53 am

The renditions of the suspects are horrible. :?

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:33 am

Michael wrote:I wonder if the secret service is now monitoring my site...
I thought the same earlier

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:00 pm

cacums wrote:
Michael wrote:I wonder if the secret service is now monitoring my site...
I thought the same earlier
Ha! Well we left the president out of it, so hopefully not.

Adam I agree, Col. Mustard and Prof. Plum look like identical twins except for the sideburns! And I'm still trying to figure out how to play this game ... there's some stairs right in the middle of Col. Mustard's path and the rooms sort of have clear doorways, not to mention I don't know how green and white get into the place. Not sure what that person had in mind when they did it, perhaps just a joke?

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:22 pm

This football clothing may differ from year to year, however He uk possesses usually fixed the structure for barcelona shirts globally.England's different clubs get continually set the standard with regard to liverpool football shirts design. You may notice a color routine or style and design with a england football shirts in addition to believe that you have seen the item just before, it should be recently been the design and style worn with a workforce in the British isles.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Re: Clue: Mystery at the White House

Post by Murder by Death » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:03 pm

This recent post in the "Current Thoughts" thread reminded me of this thread.
TheButlerButInnocent wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 11:18 am
The cold open for the September 7 episode of The Late Show with Stephen Colbert riffed on Clue. Interesting that they used the Clue logo from the 70s-90s, not the current one. However, the writers and production designers who work on his show probably fit in the age range for which those were the games on their board game shelves.
I think this post got lost in the "Great Server Crash of 2011". It needs updating!