New Clue Dr. Orchid 2nd Edition with Card Revealing Mirror

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

New Clue Dr. Orchid 2nd Edition with Card Revealing Mirror

Post by Murder by Death » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:26 pm

And what is this!?

A $20 version with a gimmicky card revealing “mirror”!? Seriously!?

On the other hand it looks like the US edition is finally going to get the suspect token figures.

https://shop.hasbro.com/en-us/product/c ... 1AF53B09F6
The Clue game gets an update with a card revealing mirror that holds the answers to the mystery. In this suspenseful game, players have to find out who's responsible for murdering Mr. Boddy of Tudor Mansion in his own home. Get the scoop on the mansion's rooms, weapons, and guests and start detecting! Was it Plum with the wrench in the library? Or Green with the candlestick in the study? Eliminate information throughout the game in this whodunit. When a player is ready to make an accusation, they secretly press the button on the mirror to reveal Who, What, and Where. A correct accusation wins the game!

• Includes gameboard, card-revealing mirror, 6 character tokens, 6 miniature weapons, 30 cards (6 character cards, 6 weapon cards, 9 room cards, and 9 clue cards), pad of detective notebook sheets, 2 dice, and game rules.

• Features a card-revealing mirror
• Who committed the murder in the mansion?
• Eliminate the suspects and discover whodunit, with what and where
• The mirror reveals the 3 answer cards
• Correctly guess the murderer to win

• Ages 8 and up
• For 2 to 6 Players
• Adult Assembly Required.
• 3 x 1.5V AAA alkaline batteries required. Demo batteries included.

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Re: New Clue Dr. Orchid 2nd Edition

Post by alwaysPeacock » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:34 pm

Jesus H, they gotta slow down! :lol:

I’m like ... kinda thrilled? We’re FINALLY getting the proper character figures! I don’t entirely understand why a envelope has been supplemented by a magic mirror, but sure. It’s Clue. Disbelief is firmly suspended.

So I guess this is our deluxe offering for the 2018 holiday season? I’m not counting the Target exclusive “farmhouse” edition. I’m thinking along the lines of Monopoly vs Monopoly Electronic Banking, or the old days of Clue vs Master Detective. Games & editions which are available at any retailer.
"But look what happened to the cook!"

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Re: New Clue Dr. Orchid 2nd Edition with Card Revealing Mirror

Post by alwaysPeacock » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:08 pm

MBD: If nothing else, you should be pleased to see Clue back in a classic long box instead of the square. I just hope there’s real storage beyond the cut out & tray for the mirror.

Also the more I look at it, the more I hope the box art is a placeholder/concept. It’s a very shoddy Photoshop job, IMO.

And will the story materials in the rules be updated to justify the mirror? Is Boddy a ghostly presence now? It seems the current artwork is too bright for a supernatural element. And where is this mirror? I HAVE QUESTIONS.

I wonder if the effect is as impressive as the demo. Maybe it’s possible to create a small vignette from the 3 cards inserted into the device with some clever mirror pieces & filters, but I can’t fathom how it would do that. Now I’m just more intrigued and already $20 poorer mentally.

Jonathan Green
Spy

Post by Jonathan Green » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:37 pm

alwaysPeacock wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:08 pm
And will the story materials in the rules be updated to justify the mirror? Is Boddy a ghostly presence now? It seems the current artwork is too bright for a supernatural element. And where is this mirror? I HAVE QUESTIONS.
Telling from the wall color and the board, the mirror is most likely in the Dining Room.
Check out my Instagram account to see my art - :arrow: https://www.instagram.com/david_rodriguez_art/?hl=en

Lord Leo Le Blanc
Snoop

Post by Lord Leo Le Blanc » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:21 am

Mirror mirror on the wall. Why are you in this game at all? :lol:

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:33 am

This seems like an unnecessary re-release of the now over-done Orchid edition. Utilize some creative things like this with new artwork, please.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:12 pm

cacums wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:33 am
This seems like an unnecessary re-release of the now over-done Orchid edition. Utilize some creative things like this with new artwork, please.
Well, the 2011 edition lasted until 2013 when they just offered it in a cheaper box with a flip side. And that persisted until 2016. In this case it’s gone backward, from the cheap box for two years, to the more expensive box. If history is any predictor, we’re gonna have to live with this edition for 2-3 more years. In the meantime, we’ve gotten two more orchid editions in the Silver Line version, and now the Rustic editions. Two more if you count the Mystery Game with Dr. Rose, and the Vegas game with another Rose character, but no White characters.

Will Orchid still be there in a couple more years? You’d think by now we’d have seen White again in at least one of these games.

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:00 am

I think with the way that Marmalade has repopularized White might be a nod in the right direction. I'd say we'll come back around to the standard set sooner than later. Much like DTS took away the Mansion, rebranded the archetypes, weapons, and the whole vibe of the game, we had to sit with the uncomfortable DTS spinoffs that were obviously marketed to the younglings that we're playing it anyway. I think Clue is back on the track with the Orchid edition and the Marmalade App. The whole ambiguous time-period/isolated murder mansion is back in the Orchid edition. The 1979-1997 pawns are back (which I know some people lament, I personally favor those pawns). Mrs. White may be missing, but the vibe of the game isn't entirely thrown by her absence (unlike Football Pro Jack Mustard in the Spa with the Baseball Bat). Dr. Orchid works well with the ensemble, but not exactly as a replacement. My solution (which goes along with changing and improving; the global theme nowadays) keep Orchid, add White back in, and throw in an eighth suspect so we can utilize those empty starting spots at the dead-end hallways.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:31 pm

cacums wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:00 am
The 1979-1997 pawns are back (which I know some people lament, I personally favor those pawns). ... My solution (which goes along with changing and improving; the global theme nowadays) keep Orchid, add White back in, and throw in an eighth suspect so we can utilize those empty starting spots at the dead-end hallways.
No, the old pawns are back for the US version of the game only, but Cluedo has the figurines for the rest of the world, which it appears Clue now has too. Hasbro should have never short changed the US market like that, but maybe that was all part of their plan to begin with ... to get rich Americans to buy the same game twice. It's hard to see them going back to the old fashioned pawns except for anything but the cheaper editions, given that Clue/do Jr. doubled down on the figurines as well.

I'm all for adding optional suspects. I'd also argue for 9 standard suspects, weapons, and rooms. Make Dr. Black one of the suspects, and go back to the rule that chooses the murder victim at the start of each game. All but the rooms could be optional which shorten or lengthen gameplay as desired. Heck we could do it now -- 3 suspects and 3 weapons, just cross them of the detective notebook at the start.

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:47 pm

Apparently this is already available for purchase from Hasbro, though it’s still not listed on sites like Walmart, Target, and Amazon. Some internet digging found a catalog of new games for retailers to order stock for their shops: this game is officially known as Clue Classic Reveal, has been available since August 1, and is sold to retailers for about $16 (so only about a $4 markup for the consumer).

I can’t decide if I want to order it directly from Hasbro, and pay shipping, or wait a few weeks for it to start turning up on store shelves. :?

Lord Leo Le Blanc
Snoop

Post by Lord Leo Le Blanc » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:05 pm

I'm honestly curious how the Mirror works. Like it doesn't look big enough to hide cards. I always find it fascinating when Clue has things like electronic gimmicks. I never bought the previous Orchid game. I do like the figures in this game. Tough I may rather get the Cluedo version of the first Orchid game and not the mirror thing.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:20 pm

alwaysPeacock wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:47 pm
Apparently this is already available for purchase from Hasbro, though it’s still not listed on sites like Walmart, Target, and Amazon. Some internet digging found a catalog of new games for retailers to order stock for their shops: this game is officially known as Clue Classic Reveal, has been available since August 1, and is sold to retailers for about $16 (so only about a $4 markup for the consumer).

I can’t decide if I want to order it directly from Hasbro, and pay shipping, or wait a few weeks for it to start turning up on store shelves. :?
You really want this as soon as you can get it, and even pay shipping? For the gimmicky mirror? That’s literally the only apparent difference between the game you’ve already got — didn’t you get the pawn figurines finally? And even finally the Cluedo edition? I mean, I understand wanting to add it to your collection, but why not wait for a sale after it hits the stores?

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:37 pm

Lord Leo Le Blanc wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:05 pm
I'm honestly curious how the Mirror works. Like it doesn't look big enough to hide cards. I always find it fascinating when Clue has things like electronic gimmicks. I never bought the previous Orchid game. I do like the figures in this game. Tough I may rather get the Cluedo version of the first Orchid game and not the mirror thing.
I’m also curious. It’s clearly showing artwork that is not on any of the cards, along with a narrative. The perspective of that photo makes it look too small to hold the cards, but it does appear to have a slot to insert them, which seems to be the point as no envelope is included among the contents. It seems mechanical, and for this price, it’s hard to imagine a color LCD screen and computer chip. How the cards trigger whatever scenarios are within the mirror is not immediately obvious on the cards. Maybe magnetic ink? But again, at these prices there can’t be an imbedded chip. I suppose it’s possible that we’re seeing the promo art that illuminates in the Store, and in practice we see just the card bottoms. And if so, how the players are supposed to manage to load them in the proper orientation, and the proper order, without looking is a mystery. But I’m pretty sure I don’t want to find out enough to shell out $20 for it.

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:19 am

I would imagine the mirror unit opens from the back, and the cards are loaded in a particular order, probably with some kind of notches to ensure they’re aligned properly. It does look tall enough to display the text at the bottom of each card if they’re fanned vertically inside the unit. As for how to load it without looking at the cards: if players in the ‘80s could manage the three card holders for Super Cluedo Challenge without peeking, I’m sure today’s players can handle this thing, lol.

Though why it needs batteries is beyond me. Maybe it does employ some kind of technical trickery to achieve a more impressive reveal. Otherwise it would just need a knob to maneuver the cards to “magically” be revealed. Which would certainly not command the $20 price tag.

I just hope there’s no tingly sound effect from the unit. It’s a (highly improbable) murder investigation—not a magic show/seance.

As for buying it now directly from Hasbro vs waiting: I could take the opportunity to stock up on about 3 games & not pay for shipping. They’ve got a few titles I’ve been wanting to play anyway, so it wouldn’t hurt to splurge a bit (and enjoy the sight of a massive box on my doorstep in about a week’s time — everyone loves getting mail, after all). I play a lot of games that aren’t Clue, so dropping $50 on multiple games at once isn’t unusual for me (except when I’ve dropped $30-50 on single games from the higher end publishers, which would render that price for multiple titles a rarity).

The alternative, of course: wait to start seeing it on store shelves. Email Hasbro with a little lie about needing another copy of the rules booklet for the game, and wait for the PDF to arrive. Then anyone can just read about how the mirror is meant to work.

Personally, I’m more miffed they didn’t take the opportunity to spruce up the board along with the suspect figures & mirror thing. A colorized version of the redesigned board from the new rustic edition would be a nice touch. Heck, while they’re at it, making the “deluxe” weapons set from the MD/50th Anniversary/Silver Line editions the new standard set wouldn’t be unwelcome either. I could Frankenstein my own game, sure, but I’d never get the cards right. /rant

Lord Leo Le Blanc
Snoop

Post by Lord Leo Le Blanc » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:02 am

I agree with Peacock. Because the only new thing is the mirror. I'd have to choose if I want this or the Cluedo made before it. Considering it's the same thing. Tough it begs the question. do I buy this or wait till they make another gimmick Clue that not only has Orchid and the mirror but something else added on top of that as well. like Solving the mystery on the second story of the mansion on the other side of the board or having White, Brunette. Rose, and Gray join the fun.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:04 am

alwaysPeacock wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:19 am
I would imagine the mirror unit opens from the back, and the cards are loaded in a particular order, probably with some kind of notches to ensure they’re aligned properly. It does look tall enough to display the text at the bottom of each card if they’re fanned vertically inside the unit. As for how to load it without looking at the cards: if players in the ‘80s could manage the three card holders for Super Cluedo Challenge without peeking, I’m sure today’s players can handle this thing, lol.

Though why it needs batteries is beyond me. Maybe it does employ some kind of technical trickery to achieve a more impressive reveal. Otherwise it would just need a knob to maneuver the cards to “magically” be revealed. Which would certainly not command the $20 price tag.
Fair point about Super Cluedo Challenge, however that’s not the standard game, either. But for this gimmick to work, the cards do need to be oriented properly. I’ve no doubt they could do it without peeking, but it’s clearly a lot more effort than just sliding the three cards into an envelope, especially considering this is merely to create an unecessary dramatic, if not cheesy, effect. And if they aren’t loaded in the correct order, then it’s a little less effective for all that trouble — instead of: who, what, where; maybe it’s reversed. Not the end of the world, but ...

The batteries are presumably to power the LED lights (seen in the marketing photo) which illuminate the contents inside the box so they can be seen through the mirrored, or darkened transparent film. It evidently works like the windows of an office building in which you can’t really see in during the day, but everything is visible at night when the lights are on. I just wanna know what the conceit is ... why does the mirror know who, what and where?

Frankly, they should include an optional envelope for those who do not want to go to the trouble, or whose batteries are dead.

I just wish they’d give us an optional Mrs. White card since we know the artwork exists.

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:20 am

So for some reason this is available on the Amazon.in site HERE. They’ve got slightly higher resolution copies of the promotional photos ...

... including this look at the back of the box, revealing exactly how this mirror works:

I was RIGHT :!:

But at the same time, so was MBD. That’s a moderately dramatic lighting angle on the Scarlett card, but the overall effect? Definitely not worth $20/+ USD. When this hits the shelves here in the US (sometime this month, if my research is accurate), I’ll be waiting for a DEEP discount before I add it to the collection.

This is such a wasted opportunity on Hasbro’s part. Orchid has been canonized suspect for 3 years, and this is their next step with her original lineup? Sure, they’ve dropped the introductory blurbs about her presence. I figured they were due for that before long anyway. Slipping a few more suspects into the lineup (White, and maybe Brunette or Grey), making the poison a permanent weapon (if the house has been “reopened” surely the old lead piping would have all been cleared away), and packing them in a box with this mirror thing and the fully realized character tokens might have justified the price tag.

On the flip side: I can’t imagine this will sell well unless Hasbro intends to make it the defacto standard edition (bad idea if they are, but also no way anyone but a collector or an idiot would put this in their shopping cart when the smaller box edition is retailing for $8-10 right next to it). If nothing else, grabbing a copy or two during a sale may prove fruitful in the resale market, when this edition inevitably goes out of print after a year (wishful, but probably realistic, thinking) and one could sell it at any price as a “collectible” item. :roll:

There is also a listing buried in Walmart’s website, but it’s listed as out of stock. At this point I’m wondering if Hasbro goofed & launched promotional images we were never meant to see. I’ll believe this game exists when I can see it in person. :?:

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:30 am

A lesser-known cacums fact: The back of the box is as important to me as the cover. I really like this one a lot. In fact, I favor the back of the box better than the cover.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:31 pm

alwaysPeacock wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:20 am
So for some reason this is available on the Amazon.in site HERE. They’ve got slightly higher resolution copies of the promotional photos ...

... including this look at the back of the box, revealing exactly how this mirror works:

Definitely very different effect than the promotional photo I posted above. It does make me wonder whether that’s actual demo artwork to be removed prior to use (which is very misleading if so), since it’s unlikely a complete set of playing cards would be split up and inserted into this mirror prior to packaging.

This is exactly how I thought it would work from the start, which is why the promo photos made no sense to me. And it’s the reason I kept saying it would be difficult to achieve the pictured result when loading it. Obviously during setup, in order to achieve this very curated result in the mirror reveal, the categories have to be carefully kept track of when shuffled and a card removed. Players will have to keep track of which pile is the suspect, weapon and room, while face down, in order to insert them in the proper order. And they will have to make sure they orient them correctly such that all cards are bottom end down. Again, it’s not rocket science, but it’s not as easy as slipping a stack of three cards into the envelope either. And for what exactly? It’s inevitable that at the final nail biting moment when the cards are dramatically revealed many games will end in the cards being inserted in the incorrect order and likely upside down, probably requiring their removal to confirm the actual solution.

I suppose if all is prepared correctly it simplifies the ending in which the accuser determines whether they are correct at the press of a button, prior to revealing for all. But it also seems less dramatic in that way as well. I don’t know how you all do it, but I tend to hold the cards close as I review, then if correct, dramatically lay them out one by one in the correct order and orientation as I announce them. Turning a gimmicky mirror around and pressing the button on the front while holding it so all can see seems a little awkward and anti-climactic to me.

As for spending the extra money on it, many may opt for the savings over the smaller square box, but those of us on this forum would definitely buy the more expensive version, not for the mirror, but the tokens. Many of us have bought the Cluedo version for exactly this reason. Many of us haven’t gone to the expense though. I’m not sure I would have picked it up if not for traveling to Oz when it was released. And I paid around $19US for it, which seems to be the going rate outside the US. So Hasbro is just bringing the game inline with the pricing for the rest of the world, probably hoping that the cheap gimmicky mirror helps justify the price increase. My guess is they will not continue to offer the cheaper edition alongside this game at most retail locations. The cheaper square version is likely to only show up on the shelves of a Walgreens, rather than the Targets.

And then there’s the construction of this thing as well. The “mirror” is undoubtably either a thin film that’s easily punctured, or a stronger coated plastic panel that is easily scratched, eventually making the mirror hazy at best. And then there’s the 3 AAA batteries, an unecessary expense and wasteful use of batteries that will likely just go on to damage the environment, or leak and corrode in the box.

All things considered this mirror business is a real low point for Hasbro.

EDIT: Yes the higher res photos reveal more about how this works. My guess is that the custom artwork is indeed intended for the demo. You can see the card stops which put the cards at the correct height to reveal the captions. Showing the correct presentation on the back of the box ensures Hasbro can't be accused of false advertising. It appears to be a long picture of Scarlett with the Candlestick in the Billiard Room with a caption at the bottom, which has been printed in three different places on the same size card, so that the entire vignette lines up as one seamless image when the three cards are inserted.

NOTE: the cards in this edition have been changed, so that instead of a white banner across the cards with the name, the bottom half of the card is completely white so that they line up as a solid white narrative to the bottom, separated only by the black border of the cards.

By the way, on the front box cover, why is the knife floating in midair, or otherwise stuck randomly to the wall ... is it supposed to imply some kind of supernatural occurrence? I can't wait to see how the mirror is described in the instructions -- could it be that Mr. Boddy's spirit reveals to the suspects what actually happened through the family heirloom, supernatural mirror?

cacums wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:30 am
A lesser-known cacums fact: The back of the box is as important to me as the cover. I really like this one a lot. In fact, I favor the back of the box better than the cover.
To be fair, the back of the box is not really substantially different than the original box back. It just has the dumb mirror now.

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:36 am

To be fair, re the knife: if you look closely you can just make out two hooks around the knife, holding to the wall for display. I still think it’s a fairly uninspired redesign, but I do appreciate how it almost harkens back to the 72-92 box covers now that the suspects & weapons are in an actual room.

As for loading the mirror, it’s really not gonna be difficult. It’s already easy to tell the 3 decks of card apart before they’re shuffled together, and if the back of the card isn’t upside down then the text on the face should also be aligned properly. I really don’t see how anyone who isn’t legally blind could f _ k it up. It’s so simple, you’d have to make an effort to put the cards in out of order or facing the wrong direction.

And I’ve a feeling you may be right about this becoming the defacto standard edition. My Walmart hasn’t had a Clue game in sight for nearly a month (though they did finally get the new junior edition, which I’ve subsequently bought just for the creepy adorable figures), and my Target has only a handful of the square boxes on the shelf at any given time (though plenty of the retro, parody, and rustic editions). While I can appreciate seeing the North American edition brought up to par with the European editions (physically, though we still don’t have the full deck of Clue Cards), I still think, at best, this is a $15 product. The markup from about $16 for retailers to $20 for customers is enough to convince me to wait patiently for a good sale/promo period.

Re, the back of the box: I hate all of Hasbro’s contemporary box backs. None of them sell the game inside to new players, they just show off the pieces. But Hasbro is lazy, and riding on pure brand recognition to sell their classic titles rather than trying to hook a newcomer.