New Clue app for iOS

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:17 pm

The Late Dr Black wrote:Just realised that in the Hollywood edition.

Rusty's goods is now missing!!!
??

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:43 pm

Murder by Death wrote:Here’s the complete theme pack grid.

I need some help with the character assignments though. I’ve used the Marmelade postings for all of them, but the Snowy Peaks theme really didn’t give character descriptions. So I used the background room art work as starting points. Maybe I missed some postings, and there are more detailed backgrounds for these chatracters, so any input would be appreciated toward fine tuning the character list.

I also added some color coding to map out the room alignment. Some duplicate function rooms are consistent across the board, others are randomly located all over. Seems like they could have been a little more consistent with this, but maybe not.

Suspect observations:

I just realized that the default suspects are based on the player character. So if I pick the Hollywood Mustard as my character, the other characters I don’t select are automatically chosen based on that theme, regardless of the theme I’m playing in. So there’s still no way to customize every individual suspect in a game, without making them all playable.

Scarlett appears as Miss Scarlett in the Tudor, Classic, Wild West and Snowy Peaks sets. White appears as Mrs. White in the Tudor, Classic, and Snowy Peaks sets. Peach appears as Miss in the International and Snowy Peaks sets. Outside of the Tudor, Classic and International sets, no other titles are used, for some reason.

They’ve changed the race and ethnicity considerably across the characters, I wonder if they will ever change any of the male or female characters to the opposite gender? Could we ever have a female Green, or male Peacock?

Grey/Gray is the only character with a different localized English spelling. Is there a reason one wouldn’t work on both sides of the pond? As an aside, the Spanner/Wrench variation only occurs on the Murder Express theme, but the weapon itself is only depicted as an adjustable wrench. It’s surprising they went with the localization of the name in just that theme, but not all of the themes where a wrench is otherwise depicted, especially the Classic theme.

The Late Dr Black
Snoop

Post by The Late Dr Black » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:46 am

Murder by Death wrote:
The Late Dr Black wrote:Just realised that in the Hollywood edition.

Rusty's goods is now missing!!!
??

When I played the "Hollywood theme " the other night I realised that in the "Western set" the goods store is no longer called Rusty's . It now says Rivolli or something similar .....

Noticed this by chance, maybe a new Easter egg ?

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:29 am

It still says Rusty's Goods on my phone. Maybe I missed an update.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:59 pm

cacums wrote:It still says Rusty's Goods on my phone. Maybe I missed an update.
yeah it definitely says "Rusty's" on my iPhone too, and it's running the latest update. I'll check my iPad tonight.

Just checked the iPad. It also says Rusty’s on the latest update.

Maybe this is an Android update that has yet to come to Apple?

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:11 am

Definitely not, lol. The last Android update was just to correct an issue with loading times after the hints were first disabled (removed from the shop, and no more daily coins).

According to Col. Mustard in the Steam forums (Marmalade's username), the next update (major overhaul of the hints system) is going to be delayed while they iron out some issues with it. Fine by me, as I'd rather not see a repeat of the fiasco which was the launch of the classic theme.

And yeah, it's always been impossible to create a fully customized suspect lineup without playing a 6 player game. Probably just easier for the game to fill in the gaps with options from your playing piece's theme.

Another tidbit from the Steam forums: the team really wants to adapt Master Detective/Super Cluedo, but Col. Mustard says it's unlikely to happen because it would fragment their online players too much.

On one hand this makes sense: the system currently matches anyone regardless of their chosen theme, and everything is mapped to play out in sync. It's crude, but simple. Throw a completely different map into the mix, and the current system would lead to longer waiting times while it finds the few other players looking to use the same map.

Yes, some premium digital games already support multiple boards/maps (Ticket to Ride is an excellent example). But those are supported by a very different kind of lobby system, and I can attest it is sometimes very difficult to start a game if I've not chosen a more widely used board. Marmalade would have to completely rebuild their Clue/do app if they wanted to add a lobby like the kind those Asmodee games utilize, and I don't believe their price point would justify it (premium digital board games are usually between $6-9 USD for the base game. On the other hand, expansions tend to fall into a $2-5 range, so many Marmalade should have followed the premium model from the beginning).

On the other hand: I think most people would be happy with a MD/SC kind of map even if it could only be a single player vs AI option. Even a theme that plays with 9 options in each category would be an interesting spin, to me at least.

Also: they've no plans to do any straight adaptations of any one decade's suspect lineup. The current Hasbro versions and the classic 1949 suspects are as far as they'll go in that direction, but they are open to the idea of basing a new themed suspect on any particularly beloved pre-existing character design that enough people ask them to adapt.

My vote would be for an Asian Scarlett. For American players, so many of us grew up with Scarlett depicted as a classic "exotic femme fatale", it would be a shame to not pay homage to that version of her character. Besides, if all the other ladies can be swapped around ethnicities, it's about time Scarlett wasn't another striking, glamorous, blond woman (or striking, glamorous older woman who was probably blond in her youth).
"But look what happened to the cook!"

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:04 pm

alwaysPeacock wrote: Another tidbit from the Steam forums: the team really wants to adapt Master Detective/Super Cluedo, but Col. Mustard says it's unlikely to happen because it would fragment their online players too much.

On one hand this makes sense: the system currently matches anyone regardless of their chosen theme, and everything is mapped to play out in sync. It's crude, but simple. Throw a completely different map into the mix, and the current system would lead to longer waiting times while it finds the few other players looking to use the same map.
On the other hand: I think most people would be happy with a MD/SC kind of map even if it could only be a single player vs AI option. Even a theme that plays with 9 options in each category would be an interesting spin, to me at least.

Also: they've no plans to do any straight adaptations of any one decade's suspect lineup. The current Hasbro versions and the classic 1949 suspects are as far as they'll go in that direction, but they are open to the idea of basing a new themed suspect on any particularly beloved pre-existing character design that enough people ask them to adapt.

My vote would be for an Asian Scarlett. For American players, so many of us grew up with Scarlett depicted as a classic "exotic femme fatale", it would be a shame to not pay homage to that version of her character. Besides, if all the other ladies can be swapped around ethnicities, it's about time Scarlett wasn't another striking, glamorous, blond woman (or striking, glamorous older woman who was probably blond in her youth).
I agree. Make MD/SC a single player option, or a by-invitation only multi-player option. I suppose there’s a fear that people playing such a game would disminish those who are playing the random online contests, but I doubt it would have a significant effect. Then again, it’s a lot of work for what would be a potentially more limited audience. And then would it be a one-off game in the one theme, or would they have to introduce themed skins as well?

I wish they’d have just stayed silent about the previous game editions, now I’ve lost much of my enthusiasm. Yes they need an Asian Scarlett, or a Scarlett in any other race/ethnicity for that matter. But Asian Scarlett isn’t necessarily a specific design from the previous games, but a concept shared by several editions of different designs/appearances. And you’d have thought they’d have figured that out on their own already.

I’d have to review all the suspects over the years to see if there’s any one particular design that stands out as worthy of depiction. But it’s really not the same as having the complete set of characters and theme. I mean what would they do if we all wanted them to depict the Mr. Green in the smoking jacket and cigarette holder from the 1963 edition? How would that fit with 5 other of their original suspect designs?

I wonder if this means there’s no hope of doing third party franchise themes like Scooby Doo, Golden Girls, or the Simpsons either? And perhaps most importantly, the one and only pre-existing theme I’d really like to see — Clue the movie. I’d say that last one is the one I want to see most adapted. Give me an expansion butler character, a French maid character, a cook, a beat cop, a singing telegram performer, a brunette Scarlett in a green dress, etc. and a mansion decorated like the film and set during a storm. That hands down has to be the most beloved pre-esisting group of characters of all time. If they don’t do that one, I’ll be very disappointed.

MrGreenJeans
Slueth

Post by MrGreenJeans » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:21 am

And perhaps most importantly, the one and only pre-existing theme I’d really like to see — Clue the movie. I’d say that last one is the one I want to see most adapted. Give me an expansion butler character, a French maid character, a cook, a beat cop, a singing telegram performer, a brunette Scarlett in a green dress, etc. and a mansion decorated like the film and set during a storm. That hands down has to be the most beloved pre-esisting group of characters of all time. If they don’t do that one, I’ll be very disappointed.
You could totally make Brunette, Peach etc into the ancillary characters from the movie. Wadsworth Brunette, yvette Peach, Telegram Orchid, etc etc

Or do you make Mrs White into Yvette, and Orchid into movie White?

Either way, the framework is there. Come on Marmalade!

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:16 am

The hint system update is out!
Image Image Image

Not too many other changes. Was holding out some hope the Hollywood & Classic suspect tokens would be surprise updated too, but no. The only other noticable change is in the menu for choosing your suspect pieces:

The base version suspect is presented first, followed by the themed versions in reverse release order. Oddly this doesn't apply to Peach, Rose, Azure, and Grey, who are only presented in reverse release order (the ones who, so far, have been given themed makeovers).
"But look what happened to the cook!"

PeachFreak
Highbinder

Re: New Clue app for iOS

Post by PeachFreak » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:23 pm

New theme is on the way. Venetian Masquerade?

"Like my daddy always says, give me a good neuromuscular poison any day."

Bostancic25
Suspect

Post by Bostancic25 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:45 pm

I remember in the courthouse of the wild west board there were two pictures of a victorian man and a victorian lady that made me think a medieval castle theme would be next, and the new weapons seem to hint towards that being a possibility

Jonathan Green
Spy

Post by Jonathan Green » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:59 pm

Here's hope for Azure and/or Grey being in this one. I getting Hunchback of Norte Dame feel for the teaser. Probably takes place in France or Italy.
"Our love is God." - Jason Dean, Heathers (1989)

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:08 pm

PeachFreak wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:23 pm

Are we really looking at a mandolin and umbrella as weapons?

I’d say Venetian Masquerade is exactly it ... there’s a Venetian mask in the lower left hand corner reflected in the water, and a gondolier reflected in the water on the right hand side.
Last edited by Murder by Death on Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jonathan Green
Spy

Post by Jonathan Green » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:17 am

Murder by Death wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:08 pm
PeachFreak wrote:

I think thats a parcel, not a umbrella. It has a very sharp tip so that could be deadly.

ColonelMoutarde
Suspect

Post by ColonelMoutarde » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:45 am

Scarlet - Mustard - Green - Peacock - Peach - Plum - Rose - Brunette
White - Grey - Orchid - Azure - Lavender - Rusty - Meadow-Brook - Gray

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:36 am

I like The Parasol as a weapon. I was rather sad when it wasn't the murder weapon in Season 3 of the UK tv series. Looking forward to this one :D

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:39 am

Jonathan Green wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:17 am
Murder by Death wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:08 pm
PeachFreak wrote:

I think thats a parcel, not a umbrella. It has a very sharp tip so that could be deadly.
Yes fair point on the tip being sharp and pointed, and potentially deadly. And yes a parasol makes more sense riding around in gondolas, though Venice gets its fair share of rain. That said, parasols aren’t exactly known for their strength, I’d put more faith in a proper umbrella, and that’s not saying much as far as a murder weapon.

Still better than a drinking glass. At least they have a heavy bottle this time, and full of poison, though there’s something to be said for a wine glass stem being plunged though an eye socket ...

But the mandolin as a murder weapon really chafes me ... I mean sure anything can be a murder weapon with the right set of circumstances, but I wish they’d try to keep it a little more plausible in general. I suppose the strings of the mandolin could be used as a garrote, but that’s not immediately obvious from the depiction ... I’ll eagerly await the depiction of it in use with this release ...

All things considered, a boat oar would have made me happier ...

https://survivallife.com/self-defense-umbrella/

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:22 pm

ColonelMoutarde wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:45 am
I wonder what the board layout will be this time?

Will the canals surround the rooms, with an outdoor venue of famous landmarks surrounding a central square like the Wild West skin? Maybe the suspects emerge from the catacombs beneath Venicein the center? Or will it just be a mansion on the canal with a boat dock?

Jonathan Green
Spy

Post by Jonathan Green » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:10 pm

I think the man in the boat (not the caped one) is Azure! He's wearing blue.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:35 pm

They now say it’s an Epic event ... I wonder if they intend to give us another expanded suspect lineup like Mystery Express. Definitely another period skin ...

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... %2As%2As-R
Jonathan Green wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:10 pm
I think the man in the boat (not the caped one) is Azure! He's wearing blue.
He appears to have dark-colored skin, and Azure is due for a themed character debut. But I also wonder when or if they’re going to start switching genders of the characters. Maybe this is Sir Peacock?

This would be a good one to give us a universal Reverend Green character for those of us in North America.