New Clue app for iOS

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:06 pm

I know the traditional weapons were still floating around the Tudor & Classic boards when they released the mini update to add the first batch of themed weapons. I remember them very clearly visible in the Steam version. I've spent more time in themed games since then, but I'd guess this last Wild West update is when the tokens were fully removed. It does lose a little of its board game essence without them, but like I said: they never really worked. A room could only display one weapon at a time, so we never got that scattered piles of tokens effect that makes the physical game so endearing.

I think the problem was the realistic look they gave the tokens. If they'd been a bit bigger & presented in a grey/metallic look, they might have registered better against the colors in the room art.
"But look what happened to the cook!"

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:09 pm

alwaysPeacock wrote:I know the traditional weapons were still floating around the Tudor & Classic boards when they released the mini update to add the first batch of themed weapons. I remember them very clearly visible in the Steam version. I've spent more time in themed games since then, but I'd guess this last Wild West update is when the tokens were fully removed. It does lose a little of its board game essence without them, but like I said: they never really worked. A room could only display one weapon at a time, so we never got that scattered piles of tokens effect that makes the physical game so endearing.

I think the problem was the realistic look they gave the tokens. If they'd been a bit bigger & presented in a grey/metallic look, they might have registered better against the colors in the room art.
And maybe that's what they do. After all, the player tokens don't look like the realistic artwork either. Again, they have the dice, the colored tokens; just represent the weapons in pewter like the actual game, and the problem will be solved. Add highlighting to the active weapon, and dim the weapons already in the room.

Maybe we should all give Marmalade some feedback for future updates. As long as they are doing new skins, they have an opportunity to tweak the board mechanics.

(and give me a custom weapons set for the original Classic theme befitting the original characters!)

RE: Steam — I’m so mad they don’t have a Mac OS version. I tried streaming my iPad to my Apple TV connected to my 65� TV. It’s glorious, but unfortunately only fills 1/3rd the screen in portrait mode. It wouldn’t be so bad if there were a landscape mode for the pads and phones, but there isn’t. I also cant use a game controller.
Last edited by Murder by Death on Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrGreenJeans
Slueth

Post by MrGreenJeans » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:52 pm

In my experience, Marmalade has been very responsive to my various questions / bug reports to them via FB messaging.

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:44 pm

MrGreenJeans wrote:In my experience, Marmalade has been very responsive to my various questions / bug reports to them via FB messaging.
Same here! I've even had replies over weekends, when I'd always assumed they weren't on hand for inquiries/bug reports. And they're so friendly, too, which is especially nice since I've had to bug them more than once now to transfer my purchases between different platforms.

MBD: I know it'd be a bit silly for, presumably, just one game, but a secondhand/refurbished Windows laptop can be had for pretty cheap if you shop around. HDMI to TV and boom, big screen Cluedo. Macs were never really intended to be serious gaming machines, so I can understand why it was easier for Marmalade to adapt the game first for PC gaming.

But I'm sure they're aware there's an untapped market in the many consumers deeply enmeshed in the Apple ecosystem. It's possible they're already trying to figure out how to replicate the experience for Macs or Apple TV (though in the latter, I'd hope for some trickery to use the mobile phone/tablet as a notebook. I can't see how it would be user friendly trying to navigate a massive, logic puzzle checklist with an Apple TV remote or game controller).

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:44 pm

alwaysPeacock wrote:
MrGreenJeans wrote:In my experience, Marmalade has been very responsive to my various questions / bug reports to them via FB messaging.
Same here! I've even had replies over weekends, when I'd always assumed they weren't on hand for inquiries/bug reports. And they're so friendly, too, which is especially nice since I've had to bug them more than once now to transfer my purchases between different platforms.

MBD: I know it'd be a bit silly for, presumably, just one game, but a secondhand/refurbished Windows laptop can be had for pretty cheap if you shop around. HDMI to TV and boom, big screen Cluedo. Macs were never really intended to be serious gaming machines, so I can understand why it was easier for Marmalade to adapt the game first for PC gaming.

But I'm sure they're aware there's an untapped market in the many consumers deeply enmeshed in the Apple ecosystem. It's possible they're already trying to figure out how to replicate the experience for Macs or Apple TV (though in the latter, I'd hope for some trickery to use the mobile phone/tablet as a notebook. I can't see how it would be user friendly trying to navigate a massive, logic puzzle checklist with an Apple TV remote or game controller).
I'm definitely not interested in buying a PC. I won't even use one at work. Besides, having it on a PC doesn't solve my problem of being able to stream it to my Apple TV.

That said, I'm pretty sure that the game was first released on Windows for the same reason the first mobile game was released on iOS. It's the broadest most lucrative platform for the game. Marmalade has developed for both Android TV and Apple TV, so I look for an Apple TV port at a minimum in the near future, and Apple is about to bring about porting of iOS apps to the Mac this Fall. While that doesn't really solve my desire for landscape orientation that the Steam app is offering, I'm also expecting that Marmalade decided to work out the bugs with the widest gaming platform first, before porting to the Mac.

In any event, how do you navigate the checklist on your PC? I'd guess with a mouse, or trackpad? If so, there would be no difference doing it on the Apple TV in particular, with it's remote touchpad, not to mention it also pairs with a BT mouse. In that respect it's no different, as the finger movement to distance ration is the same on both platforms.

But I don't disagree, I would hope eventually they could then adapt the game with remote notepads accessible via tablets and phones, such that all players could not only track their notebooks, but also share private card reveals. I'm guessing that's a little ways off. For now a direct port on both platforms would be perfect.

Jonathan Green
Spy

Post by Jonathan Green » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:42 pm

So I was watching a YouTube video of someone play Clue on Steam and he was playing rhe Wild West theme. And I just noticed in the background of the Sheriff's Office is a map of Arizona state. Does that mean that Clue Wild West takes place in Arizona? Also you can see some cameos in the wanted posters in the Sheriff's office. Colonel Mustard (Tudor), M. Brunette (International), and Starlet Peacock(Hollywood).

Edit: The url to the video: https://youtu.be/OCuJmwCgRN8

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:35 am

I got a bit bored tonight & remembered the Steam version of the game can be played in 6 different languages! The English option appears to be locked into Clue/Cluedo based on your region (so, no Rev. Green for me), but the other options are German, French, Italian, Spanish, and what I'm told is Simplified Chinese.

For funsies, I decided to play a game in French, and another in German. Both rebranded the game as Cluedo immediately, but most amusing were some of the name changes to the auxiliary suspects. As far as I could tell, the French names were all pretty straightforward, but in German … Miss Peach is "Frau Wiesental", Mme. Rose becomes "Madame Monique" and poor M. Brunette becomes "Sir Albert" (or, just "Albert" in his train station persona). :lol:

Image Image Image

EDIT: not that I really understand what they're for, but Marmalade has added achievements & trading cards to the Steam version of the game. As far as I can tell, completing a set of trading cards unlocks achievement badges to display on your Steam player profile, and individual trading cards can be sold on the Steam Community to exchange for credits to use towards some DLC purchases in the Steam store … :?:

… I think. I do know I've earned these trading cards from making purchases in the game, and for playing X amount of time over X consecutive days. They're really nothing much to look at (a close up of a suspect in their killing pose, with their character biography) but if anyone really wants to see them, I'm happy to take some screenshots.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:56 pm

The weapons and rooms as they line up through all the themes. This is likely how they manage to allow anyone with any theme to play with anyone else playing any theme, and why we’re not likely to get the ability to customize weapons across themes, unless they’re limited to one per group, i.e. whatever an individual player chooses lines up with the same placement across all themes.

It’s interesting that the basic weapons and rooms are alphabetized, but the other themes, are placed according to their relationship with the basic themes. It’s also interesting to see that they have similar rooms between the themes, but fail to line them all up. For instance why aren’t all of the Libraries and Lounges paired up across themes in the same locations? Of course, I’m sure the easy answer is that as new theme ideas came up, they didn’t always want to conform to the location of a previous room’s location —which explains the Graveyards and Bedrooms, but not sure why they didn’t make an effort to line up the basic rooms.

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:04 pm

I've been meaning to make a chart like that in my spare time, so thanks! Interesting, to me, how so many of the weapons seem to align with their themed counterparts (the Glass & Ski Pole in a row of firearms being the most noticable exceptions I can spot at a quick glance. Maybe the horseshoe, crossbow, amulet, and potion, too).

Any iOS players finding the app a bit broken after this recent mini update? The Steam version is fine, but on Android it's taking a solid minute to get past the first loading screen & many in game icons need multiple taps to register. And an old glitch with the Peek hint card* has returned, where the border of the card blows up to fill the whole screen but the card artwork remains suspended in a big white box.

I'm hopeful the big update will iron these out, though I'm a bit miffed to have my primary mobile copy borderline crippled for another week or so.

*I'm using up the Hints I've got left while I still can, but only in my solo games. I don't actually find them very game changing in multiplayer, but I'd feel dirty if I were the only player to whip them out.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:22 pm

alwaysPeacock wrote:I've been meaning to make a chart like that in my spare time, so thanks! Interesting, to me, how so many of the weapons seem to align with their themed counterparts (the Glass & Ski Pole in a row of firearms being the most noticable exceptions I can spot at a quick glance. Maybe the horseshoe, crossbow, amulet, and potion, too).

Any iOS players finding the app a bit broken after this recent mini update? The Steam version is fine, but on Android it's taking a solid minute to get past the first loading screen & many in game icons need multiple taps to register. And an old glitch with the Peek hint card* has returned, where the border of the card blows up to fill the whole screen but the card artwork remains suspended in a big white box.

I'm hopeful the big update will iron these out, though I'm a bit miffed to have my primary mobile copy borderline crippled for another week or so.
iOS doesn't have this loading issue. I haven't checked the Peek hint cards bug yet.

Maybe you can make the suspect Theme alignment chart? ;-)

Yeah, they've obviously made an attempt to align the weapons by type across the themes. Presumably they have a matrix like this as well. Given that, I would have hoped for some better choices. I'm still really disappointing by the drinking glass. It's really not that much of a weapon, and one that has to be used deftly with a great degree of accuracy to ensure its effectiveness. A champagne bottle would have been much more effective as both a bludgeoning instruments as well as a stabbing one.

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:57 pm

Android got an update yesterday night. Smooth as butter, now.

I do really wish Murder Express had kept a gun option in its weapons lineup. I think the glass is fine, but at the expense of a classic Clue killing option? Not so much. Clue has always required some suspension of disbelief, but to me glass is a little too camp, even for Clue.

In Steam news: they've added a placeholder page for new achievements to unlock & display on your profile. No indication yet what they'll be, but I look forward to having some Cluedo bragging rights on my profile, soon.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:46 pm

alwaysPeacock wrote: I do really wish Murder Express had kept a gun option in its weapons lineup. I think the glass is fine, but at the expense of a classic Clue killing option? Not so much. Clue has always required some suspension of disbelief, but to me glass is a little too camp, even for Clue.
Either way, a drinking glass is one of the weakest “weapons� they’ve presented so far. The skis and poles aren’t much higher on the list for me. The icicle is pretty campy and with dubious effectiveness, but it conveys its nod to camp. The others don’t. They just seem lame. But there’s precedent for that ... I’ve never been a big fan of the Now semi-classic horseshoe.

However, if at some point they allow us to customize our games and chose one weapon per group to maintain online match integrity between themes, then we’ll be able to choose a gun from the “Revolver� group when not otherwise available as part of the theme.

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:18 am

alwaysPeacock wrote:I do really wish Murder Express had kept a gun option in its weapons lineup.
I was hoping for a Revolver similar to Passport to Murder's representation.

The glass reminds me of the decanter stopper that Mrs. White used in Season 4 of the British TV Series. Sure it could be a weapon but should it be? If I could have a new weapon, I'd go for Scissors from the Barber Shop.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:14 pm

Did we ever discuss the Hollywood Studio theme at length?

I just noticed there are video monitors in the editing room, but if this is supposed to be classic 1940s Hollywood, as it looks and sounds, there wouldn’t be any video monitors. And even if it were 1950s, they wouldn’t have used video monitors to edit.

Also, in addition to the obvious Scarlett as vampire in the horror film foreshadowing the Vampire theme, there’s also Mustard as Sherriff in movie poster as well as a prominent sci-if poster staring Dr. Orchid. I wonder, given the success of Star Wars, and GOTG, and the success of the Lost In Space reboot, whether they won’t give us a sci-if theme soon? That could be good fun!

Jonathan Green
Spy

Post by Jonathan Green » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:54 pm

Murder by Death wrote:Did we ever discuss the Hollywood Studio theme at length?

I just noticed there are video monitors in the editing room, but if this is supposed to be classic 1940s Hollywood, as it looks and sounds, there wouldn’t be any video monitors. And even if it were 1950s, they wouldn’t have used video monitors to edit.

Also, in addition to the obvious Scarlett as vampire in the horror film foreshadowing the Vampire theme, there’s also Mustard as Sherriff in movie poster as well as a prominent sci-if poster staring Dr. Orchid. I wonder, given the success of Star Wars, and GOTG, and the success of the Lost In Space reboot, whether they won’t give us a sci-if theme soon? That could be good fun!
Also to add there's a cameo of a other character from Marmalade's older games in the Prop Room. A blue penguin from spinguins. Check it out, you can on the steam version.
"Our love is God." - Jason Dean, Heathers (1989)

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:57 am

Murder by Death wrote:Did we ever discuss the Hollywood Studio theme at length?

Interesting point about the monitors. I'd never really given it that much thought, but you're right that they're very anachronistic when set against the rest of the theme. An unmanned monitor in an editing room flicking between different images, presumably from different movies, all by itself? Not likely. Unless the film is just running, and Director Scarlett is a very avant-garde auteur.

To the rest: I've been pointing out these little Easter eggs for ages! It all started with new White's portrait appearing in the Tudor Lounge before the first batch of extra suspects was released. Then the Library in the Classic theme featured a book titled "Dial M for Multiplayer," hinting both at the movie-land theme on the horizon, and at their pending multiplayer option (which seems to have taken longer to get up & running than they'd planned -- didn't it finally launch with the Snowy Peaks theme?).

I wouldn't be surprised if those posters were always meant as hints of future themes. A sci-fi or space theme would be absolutely fantastic, I agree. Seeing how Murder Express & Wild West both nearly aligned with heightened interest in Murder On the Orient Express and Westworld, respectively, I'm sure the folks at Marmalade are doing their best to keep their theme launches as relevant as possible to be attractive outside of their dedicated fan base, too.

Sadly, I've not found any discernable Easter eggs in any of the themes released after Hollywood Studio. If they're there, they're very well concealed.

And I love the Spinguin hiding out in the Props Room. There's another Marmalade character on a snowboard in the Snowy Peaks Observatory (can't recall which game, but I know I've seen the graphic before either on their site, or Peter Dobbin's Instagram). The artist also confirmed to me on Instagram that he recycled a drawing of a banshee (done for his book on mythical creatures) in the Classic Hall's wall art (look for the stretched, screaming face visible near the right edge when the room stops panning).

The Late Dr Black
Snoop

Post by The Late Dr Black » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:09 am

Having had a new version of Rose recently.

I was wondering about the next set.

Would anyone else like another "internationals" style set ?

My suggestion would be.:
Inspector Grey
Mrs Meadow-Brook
Prince Azure
Dr Orchid
Rusty the Gardener
Mrs White

Most of the others have had a recent/ multiple updates.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:44 pm

The Late Dr Black wrote:Having had a new version of Rose recently.

I was wondering about the next set.

Would anyone else like another "internationals" style set ?

My suggestion would be.:
Inspector Grey
Mrs Meadow-Brook
Prince Azure
Dr Orchid
Rusty the Gardener
Mrs White

Most of the others have had a recent/ multiple updates.
I don’t think that’s how they’re going to do it. They would just likely add any new characters to the international set that already exists.

All have 7 now except:

Peacock — 6
White — 5
Orchid — 3
Brunette — 2
Peach — 2
Rose — 2
Gray/Grey — 1
Azure — 1
Meadow-Brooke — 0
Rusty — 0

I wouldn’t expect to see any more Mrs. White until Orchid catches up a little. Without adding any other new characters, they have plenty with the under-represented characters.

My guess, is they’ll just keep adding new versions of the international characters as they have been to each new theme. I suspect they create a version of each character for each theme, and choose the best ones, holding the others back for add-on characters later, after they’ve stopped their regular theme updates. They’re due to replace the standard 3 men too, all the substitutions have been the women only, which is kind of unfair.

They had their moment to add Rusty to the Wild West theme, and missed it. So if we’re ever going to get him and Mrs. Meadow Brooke it’s likely going to be add-on packs to the existing International version.

I do wonder how much Hasbro is dictating the character choices, and whether they have a specific reason for holding any of them back. The only thing that comes to mind is that as a basic character, Rusty doesn’t offer an inspirational character with respect to his occupation. But replacing Mrs. White with Dr. Orchid was more about female empowerment than it is with the men. Still ... where are they? Is it the 6 & 6 symmetry?

And frankly while they’re at it, I’d really like to get a Mr. Boddy/Dr. Black.

What we really should be guessing is which of the three men will be replaced by a new Azure, and Gray/Grey? My guess is first Green and then Plum. So far they seem to have kept Scarlett and she pairs with Mustard as the two possibly always present.
Last edited by Murder by Death on Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

The Late Dr Black
Snoop

Post by The Late Dr Black » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:17 pm

Question: is it just me or does anyone else, sometimes like to think that the "Glass" in the Train edition, is either broken and used as a blade or full of poison or cyanide and drunk by the victim.

I just had Dr Orchid with the Glass in the Sleeper Room. I couldn't help thinking she slipped iarsenic in his drink as a nightcap!

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:30 am

The Late Dr Black wrote:Question: is it just me or does anyone else, sometimes like to think that the "Glass" in the Train edition, is either broken and used as a blade or full of poison or cyanide and drunk by the victim.

I just had Dr Orchid with the Glass in the Sleeper Room. I couldn't help thinking she slipped iarsenic in his drink as a nightcap!
Thank you ... that is the rationalization I needed to make the “glass� work. Of course it’s for poisoning. Though I guess in a pinch it can always be broken off and shoved in the jugular of a sleeping or otherwise unsuspecting and incompactated victim.