New Clue app for iOS

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:39 am

alwaysPeacock wrote:It also looks like Peacock has some grey streaks in her hair, which I like since I do prefer my lady in blue a bit older.
Ha! I think that's wishful thinking. Those look like highlights to me ... not gray.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:41 am

It looks grey to me. I think I even see some brow furrow lines on her forehead.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:56 am

CluedoKid wrote:It looks grey to me. I think I even see some brow furrow lines on her forehead.
I stand corrected. There is some strange gray highlights on the middle part in vignette Peacock’s hair, but not on the individual characters, where Orchid is depicted. What’s interesting is that those gray highlights don’t appear to be on the original pre-release artwork.

Jonathan Green
Spy

Post by Jonathan Green » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:35 pm

Wild West has just been released!
https://mobile.twitter.com/MarmaladeGam ... 3824334848

I'm getting it!

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:47 pm

Murder by Death wrote:
CluedoKid wrote:It looks grey to me. I think I even see some brow furrow lines on her forehead.
I stand corrected. There is some strange gray highlights on the middle part in vignette Peacock’s hair, but not on the individual characters, where Orchid is depicted. What’s interesting is that those gray highlights don’t appear to be on the original pre-release artwork.
Yes, I'd meant in the cover art, not the lineup of individual characters. That dress is pretty terrible, seen in full. For the modern incarnation of Peacock, I much prefer Marmalade's interpretation over the Hasbro artwork.

But dear god, WHY does everyone have colored shoes to match their outfits?

Excited to check out the Wild West theme, finally see how this board works.
"But look what happened to the cook!"

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:25 pm

Well, we can all thank the Steam community's outrage for this nice development! And I suppose the app has proven profitable enough at this point, Marmalade no longer really needs the bit of money the Hints might have brought in.

Interesting to note the price of the Season Pass/Ultimate Detective's Package hasn't increased. $34.99 USD is probably as much as they can realistically charge anyway. I can't think of anyone who would invest more than that into such a casual video game.

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:23 pm

Some shots from my first Wild West game in the Steam version. This is an excellent board! The carts from the mine & the horses on the Main Street are animated throughout, and even the final accusation screen features animated carts from the mine moving up & down. I also love the visible second floor of the Saloon, and the older character art (Mustard, Brunette, and briefly visible the Hollywood Peacock) on the wanted posters in the Sherriff's Office.

Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Image Image Image

So for suspects we have 5 surnames, and only the one Miss Scarlett. Odd choice. I'm surprised, for the sake of simplicity, they haven't just reprogrammed the notebook to only use surnames.

The weapons are, officially: horseshoe, knife, gold nugget, six shooter, whip, and pickaxe.

Locations have been designated as: graveyard, jail, sheriff's office, bank, main street, saloon, blacksmith's, general store (sadly not Rusty's), and the courthouse.

EDIT:
For your entertainment, here's Plum apparently paying a visit to somebody upstairs at the Saloon. Naughty man …

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:39 pm

alwaysPeacock wrote: Locations have been designated as: graveyard, jail, sheriff's office, bank, main street, saloon, blacksmith's, general store (sadly not Rusty's), and the courthouse.
Well, I called all of those locations as the probable ones, however, I'm really surprised we got a Courthouse, and a Sheriff's Office, and a Jail! That's triple overkill right there. I'd have rather seen a barber shop which was an iconic presence in most old west settings. And I think stables would have been more appropriate than a Sherrif's office, particularly considering one of the weapons is a horseshoe, and also the whip! The Jail could have been part of the courthouse.

@alwaysPeacock called the central arrival point coming out after the mine itself. That's disappointing, as it eliminates it as a location, and of course doesn't make much sense.

In general, I do otherwise like how they've created space between the rooms, which are now buildings, by making some rooms outdoor locations, and creating dead-end alleys between some of the buildings. I think some of us forgot that old west buildings, much like most modern businesses tend to share common walls, so there was never any reason to make each location a stand-alone structure. I just wish we'd gotten a bit more diversity of the locations. Especially since some of the weapons are tied to locations we can't visit. But I'd love to know what the buildings surrounding the board are ...

I don’t like how the top of the mine disappears in some of the pans across the board. Not sure why that’s necessary. Seems like there’s a better way to handle that.

EDIT — and really, what’s up with that mine animation, why do they send the gold 3-4 stories up in the air only to bring it back down again on the other side? This is the silliest mine I’ve ever seen. I can see it coming up and getting emptied by the bank, and then going up and over and down again to get filled, but why does it need to go up 3-4 stories into the air?

Also, they really need to offer a default game preset. By that I mean a way to quickly start a game without going through the complete setup of choosing all the characters. Maybe a user default setting for each theme where the user can select their default character, and how many players and which ones they want — even one global one would be great. Also a quick theme select, to get the same theme characters with the appropriate theme, and the user merely selects their character and then the option of how many other players, but only the theme appropriate ones are automatically populated. With so many themes, I kind of hate going through the setup each time now, and scrolling through up to 7 options per character now. What’s worse is where there’s fewer than one character per theme, being able to quickly choose which are the correct match.

EDIT

Other nitpicks that need improvement:

1) When selecting characters, why is it if I only have 3 playing characters, I can’t select the other three characters represented in the game? I don’t want to play a 6 person game, but if I’m going to the trouble to choose a cast, I also don’t want to play with a random set of characters that don’t match the theme or selection I’m playing with.

2) I hate having to sit through the game setup sequence after the character are chosen ... don’t need to see the cards shuffled and sorted, much less dealt. There’s not even enough time to look at them before they’re put away, so I’d rather just be dropped into the game, and look at my cards if needed. Normally I just go to the detective notes and see what I’ve got there anyway.

3) why not one default setup which automatically goes to my favorite theme and , characters so I can just jump into a quick game without all the setup procedures? Two steps — 1. Open app, 2. Start new default game, 3. Roll dice.
Last edited by Murder by Death on Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:07 pm

AND they've gone & snuck a new weapons lineup into the Murder Express theme!

Lamp, Knife, Coal Shovel, Glass, Velvet Rope (I see you, recycled Hollywood graphics), and Wrench.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:39 pm

alwaysPeacock wrote:AND they've gone & snuck a new weapons lineup into the Murder Express theme!

Lamp, Knife, Coal Shovel, Glass, Velvet Rope (I see you, recycled Hollywood graphics), and Wrench.
I don't love that effort. And what's with the glass? Why not a nice solid champagne bottle? I don't even want to think how hard it would be for someone to kill someone with an Old Fashioned glass. They did the same thing in Peacock's saloon art, the only poster not to feature a weapon, but clearly now somebody thought whiskey glasses would make an effective weapon.

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:51 pm

Ski Lodge, Vampire Castle, and Hollywood have weapons too!! :D :D :D

SKI

VAMPIRE

HOLLYWOOD

This has been a very nice update! I love the Western board and the weapons are a wonderful treat!

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:05 pm

cacums wrote:Ski Lodge, Vampire Castle, and Hollywood have weapons too!! :D :D :D
You’ve just exposed your hand that you don’t really read what the rest of us are posting LOL

If you had, you would also know they added new weapons to the Train as well (though technically the rope is a duplicate of Hollywood). :wink:

Now that they’ve added new weapons to all the themes, and we know they can easily do it ... I wish they’d give us a Classic Cluedo set. Indeed, since we know they can geofence graphics and spelling for characters like Reverend and Mr. Green and Gray/Grey in the same theme, I’d like to see an original 1949 North American set, and an original 1949 Cluedo set for the Classic Theme — what this game needs is a Spanner!

And please, no more duplicates between themes!
Last edited by Murder by Death on Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:14 pm

I mainly poted for the pictures since they weren't on here. The train's pictures were already in the discussion above.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:29 pm

cacums wrote:I mainly poted for the pictures since they weren't on here. The train's pictures were already in the discussion above.
I figured ... just giving you a hard time.

Now that the Wild West and new weapons are less than a day old, shall we start speculating about the next theme?

I really think it needs to be a nautical water oriented theme.

Cruise Ship/Riverboat
Pier/Boardwalk
Seaside village
Island resort (I’m not really craving another mansion location as we have 5 already)

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:50 pm

I'd like to see a Cruise Ship.

Posible weapons (in case marmalade is reading) The six from Clue Mystery at Sea (oar, telescope, gaff, scarf, chain, rope) could work. I'd say replace the Gaff with a Flare Gun and trade one of the strangling weapons for a Harpoon 8)

As for other map ideas, I'd be interested in seeing a theatre/opera house. It might be similar to the Hollywood one in some respects, but I can think of plenty of locations that make it unique in its own way. (Private Box, Wig Room, Lobby, Ballet Rehearsal Room, Stage Door, etc)

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:05 pm

cacums wrote:I'd like to see a Cruise Ship.

Posible weapons (in case marmalade is reading) The six from Clue Mystery at Sea (oar, telescope, gaff, scarf, chain, rope) could work. I'd say replace the Gaff with a Flare Gun and trade one of the strangling weapons for a Harpoon 8)

As for other map ideas, I'd be interested in seeing a theatre/opera house. It might be similar to the Hollywood one in some respects, but I can think of plenty of locations that make it unique in its own way. (Private Box, Wig Room, Lobby, Ballet Rehearsal Room, Stage Door, etc)
I agree about the Theater. A phantom of the opera kind of vibe, maybe even with the underground cavern?

They’d have to change up the Mysteries at Sea quite a bit, since the copyright is owned by Winning Moves.

But here’s a question ... these weapons screens you posted, don’t appear within the game. We’re they created solely for marking? Or is this actually a hint of things to come? A way to pick and chose any weapon you want from any theme for use in any other themed game?
Last edited by Murder by Death on Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:25 pm

MBD: those weapons selection screens are from the suggestion sequence. Only way to quickly get a look at all the weapons, at once. :)

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:27 pm

alwaysPeacock wrote:MBD: those weapons selection screens are from the suggestion sequence. Only way to quickly get a look at all the weapons, at once. :)
Oh, haha ... of course!

It’s too bad we don’t have a screen like that for the rooms too. While we might get the ability to mix and match weapons (though that would complicate their ability to match players to online games as discussed earlier), we can be sure we’ll never be able to mix and match rooms between themes. Imagine the graveyard where the ballroom should be in the Classic Tudor mansion!

We really do need an explore mode in this game to really take in these themes properly.

By the way — does it bother anybody else as much as it does me that the exterior depictions of the locations don’t really match up to the interiors? And would it kill them to show us where the stairs to the second floors are located?

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:18 am

Ah, MBD, we DO have a screen like that for the rooms, too. You get it when you're making an accusation. Or if you get to make an accusation, that is … :P Could that be why you haven't seen it before? ;)

I only realized earlier today they've taken the weapons "tokens" out of the game. They never really looked right to me, but it still might have been fun to see little 3D models of the themed weapons floating in the void over the rooms. I can understand why they didn't take that extra step, though.

But I think most of the themed exteriors match the interiors/playing area pretty well. The Tudor & Classic mansions obviously don't match up at all, and the Vampire Castle is pretty loosely squeezed in there. But Hollywood onward all look pretty realistically arranged to my eyes (as realistic as they can be within the confines of a Cluedo board layout).

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:43 am

alwaysPeacock wrote:Ah, MBD, we DO have a screen like that for the rooms, too. You get it when you're making an accusation. Or if you get to make an accusation, that is … :P Could that be why you haven't seen it before? ;)
Doh. Touché. But unless I’m also never in a position to make a suggestion as to overlook the weapons choice screen, I have to blame this series of gaffs on my need to start taking ginko biloba...
alwaysPeacock wrote:I only realized earlier today they've taken the weapons "tokens" out of the game. They never really looked right to me, but it still might have been fun to see little 3D models of the themed weapons floating in the void over the rooms. I can understand why they didn't take that extra step, though.
At least I’m not the only one whose losing their observational skills! :wink: But when did they remove this? Granted, they never got it quite right, and obviously removing it without us noticing suggests we didn’t really care, but seriously, it’s not Clue without little weapons littering the board. We’ve got he dice which roll over the top of the board, we’ve got the tokens that hop and slide around, so where’s the weapons tokens?
alwaysPeacock wrote:But I think most of the themed exteriors match the interiors/playing area pretty well. The Tudor & Classic mansions obviously don't match up at all, and the Vampire Castle is pretty loosely squeezed in there. But Hollywood onward all look pretty realistically arranged to my eyes (as realistic as they can be within the confines of a Cluedo board layout).
Well I was thinking of the three mansions. And mainly how they have second floors with no visible way to get there, but especially additional wings and out buildings which don’t appear in the overheads, nor with any way to access them. That said, this follows in the great tradition of drawing lavish mansion exteriors which have never matched the floor plan — even the movie did this. Something which we have several threads dedicated to discussing.

I’ll have to do a comparison of the Hollywood, Ski Lodge, Train Station, and Wild West to see. The Wild West is probably the best match so far, and is likely the one I have the least complaint with. But I’m pretty sure all the others have some discrepancies, though perhaps not as bad as the mansions..