logo
Homepage Forums Clue Games Cluedo Games Stage & Screen Gaming Puzzle Series In Print Miscellaneous Links & Information
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Clue app for iOS
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 21, 22, 23  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TheArtofMurder.com Clue / Cluedo Discussion - Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this theme a lot more than I thought I would from the initial promo images. It needs some fine tuning here & there (no ambient sound effects in the rooms, from what I can tell, and on Android the frame-rate is a bit choppy), but it's definitely a fun, silly spin on the usual suspects. Still peeved none of the other boards/themes include custom playing pieces, but c'est la vie.

This is turning out to be a nice way to "collect" a bunch of themed Clue/do games without having to sacrifice any physical storage space. If they do ever offer extra weapons or an expanded board, that Ultimate Detective's Package will have been a great investment. Though I do hope Hasbro has their own spin-off game in the works, and doesn't leave all the fun to the digital realm. The new edition has been on shelves for just over 2 years now. I can't recall, in recent Clue history, such a gap between a new standard edition & some kind of spin off being unveiled (I'm not really counting the current Junior edition, since it's 95% the same one they've been peddling since the early 2000s).
The Late Dr Black
Suspect

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see the next theme being Christmas 🎄 ho ho ho

Scarlett is in red and ermine trim akin to Santa's lil Helper
Mustard for my money would be a nutcracker (typically the German soldier ones)
Green is an Elf I would guess
Plum maybe a Snowman ( purple scarf? ) or an Ebenezer type.
Peacock maybe a Caroller or similar typical Victorian dress
White is the Christmas Angel

No idea what Orchid might be
Black sadly the victim again, possibly an Ebenzer type miser. Who knows?
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alwaysPeacock wrote:
I like this theme a lot more than I thought I would from the initial promo images. It needs some fine tuning here & there (no ambient sound effects in the rooms, from what I can tell, and on Android the frame-rate is a bit choppy), but it's definitely a fun, silly spin on the usual suspects. Still peeved none of the other boards/themes include custom playing pieces, but c'est la vie.

This is turning out to be a nice way to "collect" a bunch of themed Clue/do games without having to sacrifice any physical storage space. If they do ever offer extra weapons or an expanded board, that Ultimate Detective's Package will have been a great investment. Though I do hope Hasbro has their own spin-off game in the works, and doesn't leave all the fun to the digital realm. The new edition has been on shelves for just over 2 years now. I can't recall, in recent Clue history, such a gap between a new standard edition & some kind of spin off being unveiled (I'm not really counting the current Junior edition, since it's 95% the same one they've been peddling since the early 2000s).

Does that mean you bought the unlimited theme package?

I'm not sure what you mean by Hasbro not having a spinoff game ... what spinoff game did they have between 2011 and 2013, and 2013 and 2016? Also, hasn't it only been a little over a year since the latest game came out? I don't think you're counting variations on the standard game either, because you didn't mention the Silver Line game, and I wouldn't count them either. So I'm not sure what expansion games you're referring to since DTS was replaced by TCMG?

I don't even really count the JR. Games as expansion games at all since, they typically aren't played by adults. So that really only leaves branded theme games, or special nostalgia/deluxe editions. As far as I know there's been no "expansion" editions such as MD, or Super Cluedo since arguably the 2013 edition with the boardwalk theme on the flip-side of the standard board. And that's the only one since TCMG replaced DTS.

All editions since 2009:

http://www.theartofmurder.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4715

Personally, I'm not expecting Hasbro to really focus on the board game business now that Marmalade seems to have managed to finally get Cluedo done properly on digital, especially if they get multi-player gaming right. I think Hasbro will probably keep publishing a standard edition, and keep revising it with marketable changes, but it's hard to imagine them committing resources to a physical expansion/spinoff game that takes new design and retooling. I hope I'm wrong, but why spend the money to inventory a physical game, when it can easily and cheaply be achieved digitally?

A better option might be for them to license expansion games to third parties like USAopoly, which can produce an expansion board, and parts for existing Hasbro games, or otherwise deal with the costs for limited runs for niche markets.
alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, bugger me. It only FEELS like last Autumn was very, very long ago. I blame the current state of affairs here in the states for that sense of slogging through time...

Even so, after Clue(do) went modern for a spell, we got the card game, the Paris edition, and Secrets & Spies courtesy of Hasbro. So, two spin offs and one randomly themed edition. And even though we might not personally count them, junior editions of popular games are, technically, spin offs of the original product.

So, for now, that leaves us with the card game, Star Wars edition, and a cosmetically updated junior edition, along with the "deluxe" Silver Line game and the new standard.

Not much, really. Even if the mobile game is a success (which it is, if anyone looks at the rankings in the Top Selling Board Games lists in the App & Google Play stores), Marmalade doesn't own the brand. If Hasbro gets lazy & Clue(do) slides into board game history, the mobile version will, eventually, have to freeze into whatever condition it's in at the time, and then, after some time, be removed from the mobile stores.

What Hasbro should do with Clue(do) is what they did with Risk: develop a spin off/companion edition of the classic game re-engineered for more serious tabletop gamers. It could help the brand shed the stigma it (and most Hasbro properties) has in the gaming community as an outdated, simplistic, gateway game. Gamers will happily spend upwards of $50 on a well made product, and the familiarity of the Clue(do) branding could attract some of the more casual players to give a more involved experience a go, too.

Yes, that would be a niche product. But that's what serious board game players & collectors want & are willing to pay ridiculous prices for. Even if they work out a deal for USAopoly or Winning Solutions to manufacture & distribute this imagined Super-Duper Clue(do), it's still better for the brand's image than just the $8.99 standard edition readily available at Walmart.

I actually think (having recently dusted it off for a game night) they were on the right track with the "Discover the Secrets" edition. It was just too cheaply made & hideously designed to totally work. It tried too hard to be the classic game and something new, at the same time. If Hasbro had had the bawlz to truly reconceive what the game Clue(do) could be, I think we'd have been given a far more satisfying product.

Either way, unless Hasbro sells of the brand to someone else, it's their job to keep it alive. The national nostalgia hard-on will eventually subside, and I imagine then we'll see less licensed editions based on popular properties.

Oh, as for the Ultimate Detective's Package: alas, the Android version updated itself when I wasn't looking, so I missed out on the lower price. I went ahead & paid the regular price for the Vampire theme. I was already in 3 themes deep, and I can't imagine they'll really come up with enough varied & interesting themes over the next year for me to need immediate access to all of them. Eventually they'll churn up one that I'll be able to live without.

In other news: I struck up a dialogue on Instagram with the artist behind the mobile game, Peter Dobbin. He's not actually allowed to say much about his work on the mobile game beyond sharing concept art as the new themes are released, BUT he did confirm that screaming face on the wall in the Classic board's Hall is a banshee. He recycled this artwork to save himself a bit of time, and because he'd assumed nobody would notice the face due to the sharp angle on the wall.
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alwaysPeacock wrote:

The national nostalgia hard-on will eventually subside, and I imagine then we'll see less licensed editions based on popular properties.

I'm not sure nostalgia has that much to do with those editions ... people just like to buy things that connect with something they're fans of, and if they can combine two things they like, so much the better ... many of the current brand-based editions are for current hits, like THE BIG BANG THEORY, SUPERNATURAL, SHERLOCK, WALKING DEAD, RICK AND MORTY, and even STAR WARS. I would expect that to continue regardless of the nostalgia fad that brought us THE GOLDEN GIRLS edition decades after it went off the air.

By the way, you mentioned the card game as a current spin-off, but I'm not sure to which you are referring? The last card game of which I'm aware is based on the 2013 game. Is there a new one since?

alwaysPeacock wrote:

Oh, as for the Ultimate Detective's Package: alas, the Android version updated itself when I wasn't looking, so I missed out on the lower price.

Wait -- do you mean from the lower $24 price when the Hollywood edition came out, or the current $30 price with the Halloween edition? Did yours go up from that?
cacums
Ringer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say, I really like all the "skins" the game comes with. I love mixing and matching. Using them all I did - Modern Mustard, Mad Scientist Plum, Hollywood Green, Hollywood Peacock, Retro Scarlet, and Retro White

Still kinda kept the main clue vibe.
Fleet Street Look-Out

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Murder by Death wrote:
alwaysPeacock wrote:

The national nostalgia hard-on will eventually subside, and I imagine then we'll see less licensed editions based on popular properties.

I'm not sure nostalgia has that much to do with those editions ... people just like to buy things that connect with something they're fans of, and if they can combine two things they like, so much the better ... many of the current brand-based editions are for current hits, like THE BIG BANG THEORY, SUPERNATURAL, SHERLOCK, WALKING DEAD, RICK AND MORTY, and even STAR WARS. I would expect that to continue regardless of the nostalgia fad that brought us THE GOLDEN GIRLS edition decades after it went off the air.

By the way, you mentioned the card game as a current spin-off, but I'm not sure to which you are referring? The last card game of which I'm aware is based on the 2013 game. Is there a new one since?

alwaysPeacock wrote:

Oh, as for the Ultimate Detective's Package: alas, the Android version updated itself when I wasn't looking, so I missed out on the lower price.

Wait -- do you mean from the lower $24 price when the Hollywood edition came out, or the current $30 price with the Halloween edition? Did yours go up from that?

To clarify: since the card game is still readily available, it still counts as a current spin off product, updated artwork or not. And the Android app got updated to the Halloween loading screen & higher price for the UDP before I had a chance to grab it at the lower, pre update price.
alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marmalade hasn't announced it yet on social media, but multiplayer has arrived! (along with a new wintry theme)

Quote:
Happy Holidays! Our gift to you – multiplayer! Pit your wits against other detectives online, or in a private game with friends and family.
Mystery has a festive edge in the new Snowy Peaks theme! Who murdered Boddy in the winter mountain retreat? Was it ski instructor Scarlett? Or snowboarder Mustard?

Oddly, they've opted to give us a winter themed Peach instead of Peacock! I like seeing the additional suspects getting new looks, but...who will I play? Wink

Online multiplayer, for now, seems limited to either a 3 or 6 player game. I haven't tested setting up a private game yet...perhaps that's something we can coordinate in a new thread, so we can finally know which of us is the best detective.

And the mountaintop ski resort is VERY reminiscent of Fatal Illusion. I like it.

Players are also gifted 5 hint cards after updating. And you'll notice the price to unlock all current & future themes is now at 50% of its total cost.
alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just played an online multiplayer game. It's not flawless - transitions from one player's turn to the next could be smoother - but it was definitely a lot more fun knowing I was playing against real people instead of the computer.

Online multiplayer games have their own special set of Hint cards. It also populates the suspect lineup with any random combination of suspects (my game had the Ski Resort Green in the lineup, even though I don't own that theme. I suppose it could either be randomly generated, or based on the themes owned by all the players combined).

First player is selected by a spinner. When you're waiting for an opponent to do something, a bubble of (...) displays by their avatar. Upon making an accusation, the cards are automatically flipped over for you. These games are also scored slightly differently, and have their own leaderboards.

The game also won't advance to the next player until every player has tapped Continue. This is useful if, like me, you like to take a lot of notes after suggestions.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This appears to be an Android ONLY update at the moment. Looks like the tables have flipped and although launched first on iOS, Android is getting the multi-player update first. Interesting.
alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Murder by Death wrote:
This appears to be an Android ONLY update at the moment. Looks like the tables have flipped and although launched first on iOS, Android is getting the multi-player update first. Interesting.

AH! How exciting. Then again, the leaderboards were originally an Android only update, too. Perhaps it's easier for them to test major features like this on Android, where the Play Store is more forgiving of a less than perfect new feature than the App Store can be.

And for now, it's definitely not perfect.

I had to abandon a game earlier. It completely froze up after a suggestion and after staring at the screen for 5 minutes, I figured I'd just move on. So far I've won all my online games, and I was even in the top spot on the leaderboards for a while. Got a notification about half an hour ago I'd been dethroned.

Granted, I seem to have been playing against a lot of not very good players, lol. Got to witness a false accusation earlier. That was kind of fun.

Certainly explains why there hasn't been a big announcement on the social media pages yet. It's very much a work in progress, but overall, I'd say it's 90% successful. Some fine tuning here & there and it will be perfect.
PeachFreak
Highbinder

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it seems to have reached iOS! I like the new board and characters, and I enjoy that Mrs. White and the dog got a new variation. The new theme music starts off little weird, I think. I mean, I think I get the point of starting peppy and then getting sinister, but it's a little "gingerbread house" for the grand swooping opening animation.

Either way, online play is great fun. I'm enjoying going up against other players.
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a little confused. It appears as though my iOS app thinks I'm a player called: "PlatinumMagpie792", as I tried to set up a game to have my friends join. THe same when I try to join an online game. How exactly did I get this name? And can it be changed? It also seems to have a place to add an avatar, yet there is no way I can find to upload one. Odd. Must I go through Clue digital life as "PlatinumMagpie792"?
alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't sign in with a Facebook account, the game will randomly assign your device a username, which cannot be changed. Only Facebook users will have a real name & photo displayed in the app.

So, in theory, you could create a Facebook account under an alias, with whatever kind of image you want for a profile photo, and link that account to the app. Assuming you don't actually use/don't want to link your real Facebook.
alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the curious: they've expanded the Rules section of the app to include details about the new multiplayer experience. Worth noting is all the timers used to keep the game rolling along, and the chance for all players to score some points by taking a stab at the accusation after another player wins the game (I haven't witnessed this yet, because I haven't lost yet). Cool

On another note: how pretty is the Snowy Peaks theme?! I agree with the comments about the music, but visually I think it's one of their best. Vampire Castle still runs with choppy, slow animations on my tablet, but the new winter one is smooth as butter. The Ice Room (random, but okay) looks perfectly creepy in the suggestion vignettes.

I'm, personally, a bit sad to not have a wintry Peacock, but it's great they're starting to give all the other suspects some love, too. Maybe each of the coming themes will feature one of the extra suspects in a new design until they've all been done (so, that's at least 4 more themes to cover Rose, Brunette, Grey, and Azure).
cacums
Ringer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely love the Winter Update! Miss Peach is fantastic. Professor Plum is quite attractive if I do say so Wink

My only qualm. Why Sauna AND Hot tub? Surely a room for eating like a Cafe or Lobby would have slipped in nicely.

As for multiplayer, pm me if you are interested! I think some forum Clue is well over-due (hehe that rhymed)
Slueth

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if a forum member game is being organized to play on the app, i most definitely want in!
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrGreenJeans wrote:
if a forum member game is being organized to play on the app, i most definitely want in!

Is a forum member game as simple as setting up a game and giving everyone the private game code?

The only obvious problem with organizing a forum game, is finding a time that would work for any 6 of us. Based on the play timers, it would seem that we all would have to commit to a 30-60 min game at the same time across numerous time zones.

I'm not sure how we'd do that exactly. Maybe a sign up sheet with available times? Then the game organizer would set up the game and advertise it for a specific time? Then at the allotted time, post the code, and the first 6 to join get to play?

Takes some of the easy spontaneity out of it. Then again, there's no reason the games must be played with all six suspects. I guess only three are needed? Can an online game be played with two real people and a third AI player?

We probably need a game thread, where games can be announced and organized. It's too bad this forum doesn't have a way to notify us when someone responds to a specific post, since there's probably enough of us free at any given time to just post a code, and have up to two more people join the game at almost any time.

As far as I know we can only get notifications when someone replies to our specific post?

Michael is this something that can be added to the forum?

Last edited by Murder by Death on Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:16 pm; edited 3 times in total
MrGreenJeans
Slueth

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Is a forum member game as simple as setting up a game and giving everyone the private game code?

i believe so! You're correct that time zones will be a challenge. However, I hope we can figure out a time or way to make it work.

For example, I'm free tonight! (CST time zone)
LeonardoMyst
Suspect

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Discovered multiplayer last night.
I did enjoy it, however...
I also had a game stall out during someone's suggestion and had to quit.

A few things that concern me:

1. The sheet needs an undo button. I find that with live opponents I feel a bit rushed and often I'll go to tick something and accidentally mark the item below. Then, if I notice and try to correct, it may erase the previous marks for that item.
If I just slow down a bit while playing multiplayer, I should overcome this. But in the meantime it can be a bit annoying.

2. It sometimes takes a long time to get a six-player game started. I imagine part of this is because it's attempting to match up by mansion. And the more locations added to the game will only fracture the player base even more. I only have the first two mansions and I'm limited to playing with them in multiplayer.
I think an idea that could help is to have a themed week, where all multiplayer games take place in a set mansion that changes out at the first of the week.
Either that, or have it selected randomly.

I do find that I score much better with real players. And I have yet to try the hint cards.
Although, I did lose one game because of issue #1 above. I had marked something by mistake and ended up with the wrong weapon and room.

Btw... I'm in Central, also.
I think it would be fun to have a weekly game night.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TheArtofMurder.com Clue / Cluedo Discussion - Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 22 of 23

Jump to: