logo
Homepage Forums Clue Games Cluedo Games Stage & Screen Gaming Puzzle Series In Print Miscellaneous Links & Information
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Clue app for iOS
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TheArtofMurder.com Clue / Cluedo Discussion - Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. :/ It's that update which made the app even open properly again on my phone. I do wish they'd concentrate on pushing out large, significant updates instead of these incremental, piece-by-piece fixes.

In other news: Marmalade's Facebook posted a link to an interview with the artist behind all the new character & room artwork, Peter Dobbin. The interview also links to a gallery on Dobbin's website featuring some of his concept art. Includes some larger room views & alternate poses for some of the suspects, and alternate bios for the classic style suspects. It also features the "international" suspects in profiles similar to the standard six, which specifically labels Mme. Rose as Hispanic. +1 for diversity. Wink
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alwaysPeacock wrote:
Yep. :/ It's that update which made the app even open properly again on my phone. I do wish they'd concentrate on pushing out large, significant updates instead of these incremental, piece-by-piece fixes.

In other news: Marmalade's Facebook posted a link to an interview with the artist behind all the new character & room artwork, Peter Dobbin. The interview also links to a gallery on Dobbin's website featuring some of his concept art. Includes some larger room views & alternate poses for some of the suspects, and alternate bios for the classic style suspects. It also features the "international" suspects in profiles similar to the standard six, which specifically labels Mme. Rose as Hispanic. +1 for diversity. Wink

Wait are you saying after updating to that version, the characters still do not appear?

From my own experience, I hit the same blank character page on my iPad after the previous update, and then manually updated to the July 20 update, which restored full functionality.

My iPhone updates automatically, and I never noticed this problem. Which OS are you running? Which iPhone? Mine's the SE running iOS 10.3.3. My iPad is running 9.3.5

The Clue software version is 1.3.3 on both.

If you're saying the 1.3.3 update didn't fix your problem, then you most likely have another problem elsewhere. You might need to do a complete System restore.

Let me know, I have an old iPhone 5s that's running 10.3.2, and Clue 1.3.2, and it works perfectly. I'll wait for you to clarify before updating, to see if I can reproduce the problem.

As for diversity -- a Hispanic con-artist with a French name. Got it.
alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's still not working for me, even after a full wipe & redo of my phone (running iOS 9.3.5). On the bright side, Marmalade's support is very responsive via Facebook messenger. They're looking into it (especially since similar complaints have started coming in through the App Store reviews) and they've added 50 free Hint Cards to my account. Which is very nice of them.
alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The update for Android launched today. Only one complaint: while hint cards & leaderboards are synced through your Facebook account, the character packs are NOT. The app kept telling me I already owned the add ons, but wouldn't let me use them. I had to clear my data & purchase them again before logging in with Facebook to gain access. Bit of a pain, but at least I had my gift card balance to use, so it's not as if I've paid twice for the same things.

I am pleased to see the Classic board isn't nearly as blurry as I was expecting it to be.

It definitely isn't as polished as the original board, though. The new intro video, though, is CRAP. Looks almost as bad as the DVD game's animations. And on my tablet, it's not full screen. Is it full screen on an iPad?

cacums
Ringer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got the iPhone 6 Plus and I find myself playing this a little too often.
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alwaysPeacock wrote:
The update for Android launched today. Only one complaint: while hint cards & leaderboards are synced through your Facebook account, the character packs are NOT. The app kept telling me I already owned the add ons, but wouldn't let me use them. I had to clear my data & purchase them again before logging in with Facebook to gain access. Bit of a pain, but at least I had my gift card balance to use, so it's not as if I've paid twice for the same things.

I am pleased to see the Classic board isn't nearly as blurry as I was expecting it to be.

It definitely isn't as polished as the original board, though. The new intro video, though, is CRAP. Looks almost as bad as the DVD game's animations. And on my tablet, it's not full screen. Is it full screen on an iPad?

No it's not full screen on the iPad. It starts out letterboxed then expands to full screen as it enters the mansion.

I never found anything to be blurry, just low res -- I.e. I can see the individual pixels that make up the animation, rather than a photorealistic depiction. And it's kind of starkly designed. The overhead view is not as noticable as sweeping movement through the rooms. It's a bit disappointing considering the state of video games today ... Then again, I paid $3 for it.
alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cacums wrote:
I just got the iPhone 6 Plus and I find myself playing this a little too often.

It's a little embarrassing how many games I'll play in a day. Especially now I can mix and match the suspect lineup. If they do add multiplayer and alternate boards, I may cease to have a life.

This screenshot perfectly illustrates what I was trying to describe earlier about the final vignette sometimes not displaying correctly:

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone else catch the little Easter egg in the classic mansion's library?

It goes by too quickly in the game, but if you zoom in on that & look at it upside down, you'll see a large poster/book on the table. "Dial M for Multiplayer."

Clever, but a pity there's no indication of the timeline for multiplayer launching.
alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some stray observations (because I have too much time on my hands, and therefore play this mobile version way too often):

Has anyone taken a good look at the artwork on the walls in the Classic Mansion's Hall? I think it's meant to be some kind of stained glass windows. Anyway, art deco era Mr. Boddy/Doctor Black must have had a twisted sense of style. What exactly are these screaming, banshee looking creatures doing in this house? (Just above the icon for opening the notepad.). I'm pretty sure there's two more of them, but the pan across the room happens too quickly to get a clear view of the rest of the art.

Also, it finally occurred to me why the Classic board seems so sparsely furnished. What never happens on the Classic board that happens frequently on the regular Tudor Mansion board? Answer: the suspect tokens never have to weirdly float through the furniture. It's been intentionally designed to avoid that odd effect. Makes the house look a bit cheap, but points for some dose of realism.

Finally, a fun nugget I discovered accidentally. On either board, if you quickly double tap your screen during the intro video, the video will cut away and very, very briefly you'll get to see a fully rendered (surprisingly detailed) rooftop of the mansion before the board art pops into view. Odd they'd go to the trouble of designing those graphics just to cover them up. I wonder, maybe, if an earlier intro video (before they chose moving across the front lawn through the front doors) might have flown over the house, the roof dissolving away to reveal the board, and these typically unseen graphics are just a remnant of that abandoned concept (but then, why fully design a rooftop for the Classic board, too?).

Last edited by alwaysPeacock on Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:38 am; edited 1 time in total
LeonardoMyst
Suspect

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello.
New here.
I posted a reply to this thread, but it must've been too long of a post. Looks like it's stuck in limbo.

Anyways, love the game. I'll try to keep my posts shorter.
LeonardoMyst
Suspect

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Figured my post would appear eventually, but since it hasn't I'll give a readers digest condensed version...

I've noticed that if I have opponents of closer challenge rating, I win more than if I mix easy and hard opponents.
If I have a hard opponent, putting an easy opponent in the mix seems to give the hard enemy a boost.
I've found I do better against hard enemies if the others are medium or hard.
alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sometimes have glitches posting, mostly in Chrome or Firefox. Just to be safe, if I'm typing up something lengthy, I'll always copy-paste into a text document just in case I have to log out & try again.

As for the AI in this game: it's good. They've done a very good job of programming a mix of novice - experienced players. I usually find if I'm playing against Easy opponents, one of them will suggest, very early on, one or more of the correct parts of the solution. So, I narrow my focus to whatever the AI suggests in its first two-three turns, and I can have the game done in 4 turns or less (frequently, I've had Easy 3 player games done in 2 turns). Also, the Easy opponents never make bluff suggestions (as far as I can tell).

I rarely play the Medium opponents because those games take the longest, for some reason. It seems they can make bluff suggestions, but they're prone to repeating parts of their suggestions that don't give me any new information through the process of elimination (example: the opponent before me might suggest a card I've already showed them, so I just show it again without getting to possibly learn what the next player may/may not be holding).

The Hard AI is my favorite, especially in a full 6 player game. These opponents almost always make bluff suggestions, and they're good at not falling into any traps I might set with my own bluffing. They make smart suggestions based on patterns in other players' suggestions, and since I bought the Warning hint, I can see 2-3 of these opponents are usually close to an accusation after 3 turns. These games usually last 5-6 turns, and I probably win 50% of the time (either due to lucky timing, or because I shamelessly use a Block to steal the accusation for myself).

It will be interesting when multiplayer launches, since I've gotten so accustomed to the quirks/patterns of how the AI plays the game. Hopefully there's some kind of reward system for the multiplayer games, since the current daily reward (collecting magnifying glasses to redeem for a hint card) is pretty weak, IMO. It was much better when they just gave you hint cards for playing daily.

Question: does anyone find that the game runs a bit slower in the Classic board than the Tudor Mansion board? To my eyes, it looks like the camera moves slightly slower on that board, and it makes those games feel like they take longer to finish. It's certainly not a more graphics-heavy board than Tudor Mansion, so I can't figure why it wouldn't run better than it does.
LeonardoMyst
Suspect

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think the only glitches I have had so far have been user error.
I'll sometimes mark things in a hurry and not realize it selected the cell below the one I was aiming for. Which can be disastrous if you either don't realize it or can't remember what was in that row when you try to change it back.

I haven't been brave enough to try all hard opponents, but from your post it sounds it won't be so bad. At least if I lose it'll be swift. Lol.

I agree with the rewards. As it is my continuing playing is fueled mostly by my love for the game and lack of other intelligent gaming options. I have to set my own goals, which for the moment is 'rank higher than I did last week'.

My first week I ranked at 595 on Global and 240 on National.
My second week (this last week) I ranked at 156 on Global and 60 on National.

Oh, and I haven't noticed any difference in speed on the two maps.
I have seen comments in the apps reviews, though, that complain about having to wait during the AI turn. I rather like how it plays out, myself. And those people probably never played the board game or aren't taking notes like they should.
alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't mind a fast play option, especially when just playing against AI. Their mobile version of Life let's you fast forward the AI turns, after all. For Clue, it could be a simple as AI opponents snapping to the rooms (rather than watching the whole animation of moving around the board), and the suggestion sequence jumping right to the final vignette with √ and X marks for players who did/didn't show a card. Since time is part of the scoring mechanism, it could result in higher scores if we have the option to bypass the animations & get right to the evidence & elimination.

I hope their next update includes some more shop content in addition to the multiplayer features. From their Facebook comments, it seems a lot of people want the option for a larger, Master Detective type of game, with more weapons and rooms. I'd happily give them another $3-5 for a bundle of extra weapons & the bigger board.
alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meanwhile, in Probably Not News, Marmalade posted this to their Facebook earlier today. If a 4 shows up tomorrow, at least we'll know it's a countdown to something.

Perhaps it's wishful thinking, but if the filmstrip is alluding to a new pack of suspects based on the Clue movie cast, I'll take back every bad thing I've ever said about this company.
TheButlerButInnocent
Snoop

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/MarmaladeGames/status/910488888636043264

Hollywood! Where dreams come true! But for Valley Studios the dream has become a nightmare. Mr Boddy has been killed. Find out more soon...

Looks like a cross between Discover the Secrets and Archer Dreamland.
alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh. The artwork they've posted is nice...but I'm underwhelmed. Then again, this is the same company which has released Safari, Birthday, and other oddball themes for The Game of Life, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised Clue is getting similar treatment.

Still, it's not what anyone was asking for (a Master Detective/Super Cluedo expanded game option). If it's priced similarly to the Life themes (about $3 USD) and includes some new looks for the suspects, I'll invest in it. But if it's just the board for $3/+ I'll probably wait for a promo.

EDIT: Looking at the full sized image from Facebook, that might be a redesigned Peacock (or a new suspect) on the screen in the cinema screening room on the far left. HATE the "Clueland" sign in the picture on the far right.

(click to enlarge)

The Facebook post also names Boddy as the president of "Valley Studios," a character note I guess they didn't have room for on Twitter.
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh. It's basically the Alfred Hitchcock edition, isn't it? Only this time, I doubt they'll be dressing up as their favorite characters from classic films -- just generic crap. Oh well ... let's see what they come up with ... I'll be very interested to see how they restructure the game layout -- whether it's completely different or just some kind of simple redress of the same mansion, where rooms are buildings instead. At least it's a period look.

But yeah, CLUELAND is exactly the kind of thing that some Hasbro executive probably suggested, and the reason we keep getting so many dissapointments from them. So does that mean it's going to be CLUEDOLAND outside North America?
alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This video teaser seems to answer part of your questions. Looks like a redress, with rooms as buildings/lots branching off of a central studio building.

Hmm, Cluedoland...good question. They may not bother changing it. The Shop icon on the home screen shows a Cluedo box, even in the Clue app.

After seeing that teaser, though, I'm a little less apprehensive about it only because the graphics already look far more polished than their clearly rushed attempt at the Classic mansion. I hope that gets cleaned up in future updates, and that ALL the Classic suspects get custom playing pieces, not just Mrs. White.
TheButlerButInnocent
Snoop

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curious to see if these are original suspects or reimagined canon suspects.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TheArtofMurder.com Clue / Cluedo Discussion - Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 17 of 19

Jump to: