logo
Homepage Forums Clue Games Cluedo Games Stage & Screen Gaming Puzzle Series In Print Miscellaneous Links & Information
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Clue app for iOS
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TheArtofMurder.com Clue / Cluedo Discussion - Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrGreenJeans
Slueth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:20 am    Post subject: New Clue app for iOS Reply with quote

There's a new Clue app available in the App Store (not sure if it's on Droid too, but is definitely available for iPhone/iPad) - it's called Clue: The Classic Mystery Game and retails for $2.99. It's developed by Marmalade Game Studio.

It's a pretty faithful adaptation of the classic board game as far as play style, weapons, rooms, and characters (except we have Dr. Orchid instead of Mrs. White). A couple differences I noticed included all players starting in the center (a la Master Detective) and the doors to the rooms have shifted a bit.

The biggest flaw (and it's pretty big in my mind, the lack of Mrs. White notwithstanding) is that there is no multiplayer currently, so you can only play against CPU. This really limits replay value IMO. Perhaps it'll come in a future update.

Artwork is solid. Nice to see an actualized true Clue game finally available in the app store.
CluedoKid
Con Artiste

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! The artwork is solid...but is it not the same art from the recent edition, digitalized? Or are we getting something totally new?
Slueth

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seems mostly the same, although the in-room views of the suspects holding weapons over the body (when you make suggestions) is pretty neat!
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting: the artwork seems very different, especially the Col. Mustard artwork. Also, the board layout appears to be more closely related to the last TCMG layout. Is it possible that was
a last minute change? Or is it just because they put all the start players in the center, rather than the edges? Or both? I actually prefer the room cards with a first person
perspective rather than a birds eye view. I might have to some screen grabs and do a new set of cards for the board game.

Last edited by Murder by Death on Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
CluedoKid
Con Artiste

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the art here better than the board game version. Smile

I like that Dr. Orchid's eyes are less gigantic. She looks more human.
Hatchet Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CluedoKid wrote:

Me too!

The Peacock's a huge improvement! The up-done hair is way better and looks like they've gotten her out of that ill-suiting dress and back in classic blue.

MrGreenJeans wrote:
seems mostly the same, although the in-room views of the suspects holding weapons over the body (when you make suggestions) is pretty neat!

And yes I really like those too!

I've looked and unfortunately this isn't available in the UK App Store yet. Sad
CluedoKid
Con Artiste

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Btw, it has suddenly crossed my mind. Has anyone noticed this is probably the first edition where Miss Scarlett is the oldest female?
Con Artiste

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam106 wrote:
CluedoKid wrote:

Me too!

The Peacock's a huge improvement! The up-done hair is way better and looks like they've gotten her out of that ill-suiting dress and back in classic blue.

Totally, Plum looks much better too, and Green more murderous. He looks so soft in the board version.
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CluedoKid wrote:
Cool! The artwork is solid...but is it not the same art from the recent edition, digitalized? Or are we getting something totally new?

Digitization has nothing to do with it in this age of "Retina" displays. The new first-person perspectives on the mansion are fantastic. That shot of Col. Mustard in the Conservatory reminds me
of the movie. It's fantastic.

In fact, looking at the cards in this game, I realize that instead of that nebulous cloud backdrop, they should have presented the weapons, and to a lesser extent the characters, in the
context of the house. Let's see the candlestick sitting on the buffet against the wallpaper of the dining room for instance, or the revolver laying on the desk in the study, or mounted in
a display case on the wall of the Library. That's what's missing to make this game really complete.

Adam106 wrote:
CluedoKid wrote:

Me too!

MrGreenJeans wrote:

And yes I really like those too!

I've looked and unfortunately this isn't available in the UK App Store yet. Sad

Could they be doing a localized "CLUEDO" version for the UK App store? Was the previous one based on Discover the Secrets localized for Cluedo? Technically, the Clue brand is not
licensed to be sold in the UK. It's a rather small change for a developer to make, and aside from the changing the Mr. Green to Rev. Green artwork, not much else to change. It would
also be nice if there were an option to use Mrs. White instead of Dr. Orchid -- certainly an electronic game makes this much easier to offer than the board game (although it's not
hard in the boardgames either).

Last edited by Murder by Death on Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
CluedoKid
Con Artiste

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Orchid should have been a "seventh" suspect, instead of dumping White totally.
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll post some screen shots of the individual rooms when I have time. They're pretty cool. I do like how the game moves you through the mansion, and the artwork. The only problem
I have it's a little hard to play on a tiny iPhone screen. I'm anxious to try the iPad version, and it would be very cool if the App were compatible with the Apple TV -- in which case, the fact
you can't have multiple players is really a drag.

They appear to have redesigned the mansion slightly (other than eliminating the spaces between the rooms) -- while it appears that we have another Master Detective Escher-like
staircase in the center, what's actually happening is that they've added three large steps up between the dining room and kitchen, and Library and Billiard Room, on each side of the staircase.
The long center stair case starts at the upper level and drops down to a landing to which the two side staircases descend from the lower level, and then join the center staircase
which descends to the lower floor. Note that as a result, the side door of the Billiard room exits onto a small staircase now, to get back down to the Library level.

It's also worth pointing out that the side door to the Hall is intentionally eliminated, as well as the side doors to the Dining Room, and Ballroom.

And, the rooms themselves are furnished somewhat differently. In particular there is only one pool table in the Billiard Room.

And a final irony surely to stick in @alwaysPeacock's side is the token/pawn/movers are all the plastic figurines from the Cluedo edition of the game, despite this
being the Clue edition which shipped with standard pawns in the North American version!

Last edited by Murder by Death on Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:51 pm; edited 4 times in total
Adam106
Hatchet Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Murder by Death wrote:
Could they be doing a localized "CLUEDO" version for the UK App store? Was the previous one based on Discover the Secrets localized for Cluedo? Technically, the Clue brand is not licensed to be sold in the UK. It's a rather small change for a developer to make, and aside from the changing the Mr. Green to Rev. Green artwork, not much else to change. It would also be nice if there were an option to use Mrs. White instead of Dr. Orchid -- certainly an electronic game makes this much easier to offer than the board game (although it's not hard in the boardgames either).

Terrible fan I am I actually can't remember if the Discover the Secrets game was available here haha. If might've been but I never bought it because, well, it was Discover the Secrets. Unless any other UK members can clarify?

I hope we do get some version of it over here. Sad

And I agree with all the Mrs White comments. The fact that they even made a card for her just gives me a face to mourn over now.

Last edited by Adam106 on Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Adam106
Hatchet Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Murder by Death wrote:
I'll post some screen shots of the individual rooms when I have time. They're pretty cool. I do like how the game moves you through the mansion, and the artwork. The only problem I have it's a little hard to play on a tiny iPhone screen. I'm anxious to try the iPad version, and it would be very cool if the App were compatible with the Apple TV -- in which case, the fact you can't have multiple players is really a drag.

Neat! I take it you've already bought it, Murder by Death? Thanks for sharing what you can for us! Smile
CluedoKid
Con Artiste

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also played, I got Peacock, lead pipe in the library. I agree about low replay value, the art is cool though. The staircase is weird. Seems to suggest bedrooms in the basement?
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CluedoKid wrote:
I also played, I got Peacock, lead pipe in the library. I agree about low replay value, the art is cool though. The staircase is weird. Seems to suggest bedrooms in the basement?

Oh you mean because there's no stairs going up?

Agreed that's a bit odd. Then again, all the tokens/pawns start floating in mid-air in the stairwell. But there's no up staircase on the game board either.

Either way, the guests will sleep soundly in a windowless basement. Wink

EDIT: Looking at the overall layout, there are several steps up to the front door, and from there, several more steps up to the rear of the house. Which means, that at a minimum,
there could be high narrow windows in the rooms in the basement.

Last edited by Murder by Death on Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naturally, this isn't available in the Google Play Store yet, but I'm no worried. Marmalade Studios gave us a great version of The Game of Life last year, so I imagine their Clue game will get to us eventualy. It's worth noting they did eventually introduce online multiplayer for Life, as well as different themed worlds to play in (Halloween, Christmas, Birthday so far) so I'm sure they'll do the same for their Clue game somewhere down the line.

And yes, the old mobile game based on DTS was released in a Cluedo version. I know because that's the only version I have been able to download less than legally to play on an old Android mp3 player.
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alwaysPeacock wrote:
Naturally, this isn't available in the Google Play Store yet, but I'm no worried. Marmalade Studios gave us a great version of The Game of Life last year,
so I imagine their Clue game will get to us eventualy. It's worth noting they did eventually introduce online multiplayer for Life, as well as different themed worlds to play in (Halloween,
Christmas, Birthday so far) so I'm sure they'll do the same for their Clue game somewhere down the line.

And yes, the old mobile game based on DTS was released in a Cluedo version. I know because that's the only version I have been able to download less than legally to play on
an old Android mp3 player.

Good to know! A multi-player game would be great for the Apple TV. And a holiday themed version would also be awesome for Clue.

DTS didn't require a Reverend alteration, as the Green character was just named "Green". So I wonder if they will actually change both the name and the outfit for Reverend Green in
the Cluedo version? If so, I really hope they later allow a Mrs. White option to replace Dr. Orchid, buried in the settings, as the game gets more sophisticated -- or at a minimum,
a 'Mrs. White visits for Christmas' edition ...

Last edited by Murder by Death on Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How's the music in the game? Do the characters move when you make a suggestion, or is it just a still "portrait" of the murder?

The more I look at the screenshots, the more I like the board layout used here. Seems fitting for a mobile game, which usually should play faster than a traditional tabletop game. Does the app version use the Clue cards, or no?

Odd there doesn't seem to be a Cluedo version available, especially since the designers are based in London.
CluedoKid
Con Artiste

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The music is jazzy, but repetitive. Nothing outstanding. There is no animation, just stills/tableau of the murder scene. It is good the game moves quick, but there isn't anything really special by the end of, to invite continual replay (even though I have). Still though, it's a fun diversion, and the art is an improvement over the boardgame one.
Mastermind

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the artwork. Hate the movements of the pawns. I wish that was animated.

When the screens zooms in on the Study, you can momentarily see rather realistic portraits. Designers?

I like the clue game in the lounge. It bothers me that the birds eye view doesn't match the animation view.

I've only played one game. Made the mistake of using all six suspects. Took a long time while at work. Ended up being Scarlet, Pipe, Study.

I look forward to playing again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TheArtofMurder.com Clue / Cluedo Discussion - Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 1 of 22

Jump to: