New Clue app for iOS

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:23 am

I've seen gameplay of this version of Clue and I do have a VERY big nit pick which doesn't really effect anything. Why are all the suspects left handed? I wouldn't have minded so much if one or two of them were lefties but all six seems odd.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:44 am

Has any one got Orchid as the killer yet? And have a screen grab of it?

OhNoNotMeAgain
Suspect

Post by OhNoNotMeAgain » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:03 am

Black wrote:I've seen gameplay of this version of Clue and I do have a VERY big nit pick which doesn't really effect anything. Why are all the suspects left handed? I wouldn't have minded so much if one or two of them were lefties but all six seems odd.
I hadn't thought of that.

Good point there.

I suppose it's easier, graphics wise, to have the characters in a similar pose, using the same hand, etc.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:12 am

Murder by Death wrote:Here's a video featuring most of the music and a sample of the gameplay and animation:

https://youtu.be/ujBcJOm0W50

alwaysPeacock wrote:Good, sweet baby Jesus, the pawn movement is horrendous! Why can't they just slide around? I can see how, maybe, the developers were trying to imply someone picking up and setting down the token, but it's very unnatural. Otherwise, it looks great. Love that camera effect entering the house at the beginning. Still not sure what the staircase is supposed to be leading down to, but whatever.
CluedoKid wrote:One thing I will commend the original Cluedo on is the suggestion of the existence of an upstairs.
As was pointed out earlier, the bedrooms in this depiction are basically in the basement, which thanks to the elevated main floor of the house, allows them to have Windows. While decidedly unusual, it's not unprecedented. Of course that acceptance does nothing to reconcile that interior layout with the exterior artwork.

I hadn't thought of that @cluedokid ... But you're right, any effort to imply an upstairs ended in 1972 for Clue and 1996 for Cluedo, where the center of the board led downstairs to the basement only. I'm actually surprised we haven't had this conversation before. Not only has a bedroom never been depicted in a US/UK edition until TCMG, eliminating a set of stairs up, relegated any bedrooms to the basement, and forever resigned depictions of a second floor on the mansion to some kind of non-functional facade -- maybe it's how Mr. Boddy/Dr. Black maintain appearances -- he has a fake second and third floor that make it appear he's wealthier than he really is. Meanwhile he sleeps on an old pull-out sofa in he basement (maybe he lets Mrs. white sleep in the bed as part of her compensation to keep her on -- maybe that's why she's not in this game, because she refused to live that way anymore ... or perhaps maybe she's an illegal and post Brexit, he now keeps locked up in the basement so she won't be deported).

I think we all have to agree that despite the literal depiction on both the board and this game, there is a stairway going up somewhere. Most likely in real life there would be a mirror staircase directly above it to the second floor.
Last edited by Murder by Death on Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:32 pm

CluedoKid wrote:Has any one got Orchid as the killer yet? And have a screen grab of it?
You mean in handcuffs at the end? I've already posted Mustard, and these are the ones I've gotten since. I'm only missing Scarlett and Plum.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:36 pm

One question lingers ... why change the room and mansion design so dramatically from the board? Even if the hallways are removed, why not keep the room designs the same?

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:07 pm

HA, I'm loving Peacock's endgame pose.

As for the redesigned rooms: I guess it was just a matter of maintaining the spirit of the physical game while adapting it to their slightly more realistic layout. Still no discernable sink in the Kitchen, though...
"But look what happened to the cook!"

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:09 pm

Here is Scarlet. Plum is the only one I haven't gotten yet.

How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:14 pm

alwaysPeacock wrote:HA, I'm loving Peacock's endgame pose.

As for the redesigned rooms: I guess it was just a matter of maintaining the spirit of the physical game while adapting it to their slightly more realistic layout. Still no discernable sink in the Kitchen, though...
Peacock's pose is quite likely the most suggestive of all of them. Maybe it's my dirty mind, or maybe someone's pulling a fast one in the art department.

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:16 am

Murder by Death wrote:
alwaysPeacock wrote:HA, I'm loving Peacock's endgame pose.

Peacock's pose is quite likely the most suggestive of all of them. Maybe it's my dirty mind, or maybe someone's pulling a fast one in the art department.
So you might say Peacock's a bit of a...dirty birdie? :wink:

Although Orchid does seem pretty chill about her cuffs. Perhaps she's studied more than plants earning her doctorate...

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:32 am

Here's the last one ... This really feels like the worst one too:

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:46 am

Orchid and Scarlet and MAYBE Green are the only acceptable ones in my opinion. The designers failed when coming up with realistic "attitudes" of the characters all around.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:50 am

Plum

Adam106
Hatchet Man

Post by Adam106 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:13 am

Let's hope Plum's innocent in future games - for all our sakes...
alwaysPeacock wrote: Although Orchid does seem pretty chill about her cuffs. Perhaps she's studied more than plants earning her doctorate...
Lmao! It's those Nicki Minaj-style power heels that I can't get over.

Zoo977
Master Detective

Post by Zoo977 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:34 am

Honestly, I'm loving most of the endgame poses. Orchid, Mustard, Peacock, and Scarlet all carry some good personality - Green's isn't bad, but he just seems bland. And of course Plum's the worst one, because I hate this plum so. much.

Honestly, the more I look at the art, the more I think the artist was hired based on their Scarlet artwork? Her art has been almost consistently better than most of the other character art in all iterations, in my opinion.
Stop winking at me, you oversexed Frenchman!

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:52 pm

I kind of like Plums. He looks like a total psycho, contrasting with his card.

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:09 am

I'm reminded of the cover art for the Clue books series. Some sometimes questionable reinterpretations of the suspect art from the board game. I recall one cover featuring such an odd angle on the 1992 version of Mr. Green, he looked about 10 years younger and, at a glance, appeared to be sporting a badly done Mohawk.

I'd like to know why all 3 women have such pronounced 80085 (because apparently I can't type the most polite word for the female chest bags...). Their board game predecessors are practically flat chested compared to their app designs.

Turns out I'm due for a change of phones (mainly because my current phone is so old, the battery drops to nothing after even a 5 minute call, among other quirks), and since I've found a good price for an older, refurbished iPhone, I went ahead & bought the app via iTunes. Should be able to play the game myself, in about a week. :)

Fun find: I poked around the .ipa file for the game, and every file name which uses the game's name is labeled as Cluedo. Even the folder containing all the relevant data is "Cluedo.app," which isn't surprising since it's come from a UK based developer. Must be frustrating, on some level, to build a game/app 1.) with a name you're not accustomed to using, and 2.) that your local friends & family can't experience.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:14 pm

alwaysPeacock wrote:I'm reminded of the cover art for the Clue books series. Some sometimes questionable reinterpretations of the suspect art from the board game. I recall one cover featuring such an odd angle on the 1992 version of Mr. Green, he looked about 10 years younger and, at a glance, appeared to be sporting a badly done Mohawk.
Ha! This one?

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:21 am

LOL, yes, that's the one!

So my new (new for me, but previously owned) phone came today. I've played this app version three times now. I'm sure it does benefit from the screen real estate of an iPad or the new, larger iPhones, but I've had no issues interacting with it on the 3.5 4S screen. The dice rarely roll low enough to need to bother taping anything but the rooms.

Nothing new to add to the discussion. It's translated the board game nicely to mobile, and that's about it. Online multiplayer is definitely a must-have if it's going to survive. Maybe an achievement system, too.

I have had one error, though. I did a 3-player game against Orchid and Green (guess who I played...). Orchid won, but on the accusation screen, the text referred to Miss Scarlett making an accusation, not Orchid. Has this happened to anyone else?

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:34 am

Not that, but I did see It say "colonel Mustard solves the crime" when it was in fact Mr Green.