logo
Homepage Forums Clue Games Cluedo Games Stage & Screen Gaming Puzzle Series In Print Miscellaneous Links & Information
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Christmas is coming...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TheArtofMurder.com Clue / Cluedo Discussion - Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got to see the luxury edition up-close today (marked down to $75, thanks to a roughed up outer box, but still beyond my expendable income at present). I agree with everything you said about the flat rooms, MBD. It took me a good minute to realise what I was looking at -- initially it looked like all the rooms had a ton of windows & doors. Overall, I'd prefer to (eventually) get my hands on one of the sunken "3D" boards.

Also, the game was unexpectedly heavy. Can't imagine the shipping costs for anyone buying one of these online.
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, is this the game?

https://www.amazon.com/Winning-Solutions-Luxury-Clue-Board/dp/B01N2G9PJM/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_sims?ie=UTF8

They say it weighs 5 lbs. and 13 lbs to ship.

They credit it to Winning Solutions, which is odd that it doesn't appear on their website. So I take it the wooden box serves as a compartment to store everything? That's better than a separate box. Is it a nicely lined storage compartment.

I realize my mistake, I think the Giant edition is the same size as a normal game board, which is obviously much larger than the sunken room versions. So I was confused by Michael's answer, until I realized. So it's a full-sized game board with a wooden storage case? That's crazy -- who has room to store something like that?
alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't recall how thick the box was, but that looks correct. The packaging around the edition I found was very plain, a black/dark green box with a clear front to see the board, with a panel across the middle with the classic Clue logo.

And I'm certain it weighed much more than 5 pounds. It was shockingly heavy when I picked it up.
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alwaysPeacock wrote:
I can't recall how thick the box was, but that looks correct. The packaging around the edition I found was very plain, a black/dark green box with a clear front to see the board, with a panel across the middle with the classic Clue logo.

And I'm certain it weighed much more than 5 pounds. It was shockingly heavy when I picked it up.

Well whatever it weighs, Amazon's only charging $4.50. I'm sure if we shipped it ourselves we'd pay at least 3x that.
Michael
Mastermind

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's the one. I like the wood case, but the drawer is only deep enough to hold two rows of playing pieces. The first time I pulled it out, it fell on the floor because I wasn't expecting it to be so short.
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
Yes, that's the one. I like the wood case, but the drawer is only deep enough to hold two rows of playing pieces. The first time I pulled it out, it fell on the floor because I wasn't expecting it to be so short.

Wow. That's too bad. So is it intended more for the playing tokens, cards, weapons and dice? So what's behind the drawer? Empty space? What a waste.

I get the impression that the furniture pieces are supposed to remain on display ... as otherwise, where are you going to store such a large box, which isn't much of display without the furniture.

I assume the furniture pieces are also made of painted plastic resin? It's too bad, really, if so. For $200 list price, they should have been pewter die cast at a minimum -- especially now that the players can handle them.

Restoration Hardware stated numerous times that the silver furniture in their Franklin Mint edition was in fact actual pewter, but that still seems unlikely to me, as it's sealed under glass, and there would be no reason to go to that expense. It would be a different thing altogether if the glass could be lifted (on hinges), and the furniture pieces could be lifted out and examined.
Michael
Mastermind

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pieces actually felt like very cheap plastic. I was worried I would bend/break them taking them out of the box.

I had to repair my Franklin mint game originally as the billiard table came loose. You take the bottom felt circles off to reveal screws. Removing the screws let's you pull off the top. The restoration hardware edition is probably similar.
Michael
Mastermind

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In rereading the RH edition thread, the email from their customer service states that the pieces are cast metal.

I'd like to get that edition. It's pretty, but I have a hard time justifying the crazy high price for it. Even harder to justify putting it on my Christmas wish list as that's the way I pretty much get all my Clue stuff these days...
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
In rereading the RH edition thread, the email from their customer service states that the pieces are cast metal.

I'd like to get that edition. It's pretty, but I have a hard time justifying the crazy high price for it. Even harder to justify putting it on my Christmas wish list as that's the way I pretty much get all my Clue stuff these days...

Well at $365 I would certainly expect the furniture pieces to be pewter. It still makes no sense to make them out of pewter and then seal them under glass.

It's no taller than the Winning Solutions edition which costs $120 less, which I believe you have, so unlikely to have more storage.

I'm still stunned that this new edition only has a short drawer. Is there at least room for you to build your own drawer to utilize the entire space underneath the board?
Michael
Mastermind

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't touched it since Christmas Day. I don't know how deep that drawer hole goes, but I imagine the whole way. Seems like the extra space would make for a good hiding spot.
Michael
Mastermind

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The inside is hollow. It just has some wood stoppers so the drawer doesn't go in too far.

I guess the FM edition is the same way, but the fact that the door spaces don't align with the artwork is really noticeable on a flat surface.

Lastly, the box reverse:

Michael
Mastermind

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just noticed that the back of the box shows the globe in the study and the book stand in the library. Realistically, I think this makes more sense, but that's not the way it is in the FM edition. I wonder if that's a mistake or if they changed the card to reflect this setup.
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
The pieces actually felt like very cheap plastic. I was worried I would bend/break them taking them out of the box.

I had to repair my Franklin mint game originally as the billiard table came loose. You take the bottom felt circles off to reveal screws. Removing the screws let's you pull off the top. The restoration hardware edition is probably similar.

Right, but the lightweight plastic furniture is merely glued through holes in the bottom of the card stock rooms -- would that construction be able to support pewter? Either way, you're right, I would imagine the top has to attach in a similar fashion. I'd pick one up at a local store and try to verify this, and return it, except it only appears to be available online with a $35 shipping charge, and likely must be returned that way as well with my own more expensive dime.

Michael wrote:
I just noticed that the back of the box shows the globe in the study and the book stand in the library. Realistically, I think this makes more sense, but that's not the way it is in the FM edition. I wonder if that's a mistake or if they changed the card to reflect this setup.

Thanks for the pictures. Interesting, so the card for this game has been changed to reflect the switch as well? Do the room pieces have labels on the bottom directing you as to that room placement as well?

I have to admit, I really miss the sarcophagus in the Lounge from the FM edition.
Michael
Mastermind

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No labels on the pieces. I opened up the cards (first use of my replica movie dagger) and verified that the box depiction is incorrect.
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
No labels on the pieces. I opened up the cards (first use of my replica movie dagger) and verified that the box depiction is incorrect.

Ha!

I also just noticed on the box that Winning Solutions has a new branding: WS Game Company suggesting they are much more now than a custom game manufacture for RH, Frontate and others. That's why it's even more curious that this game does not appear on their website.
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I've been to a couple of Marshall's and found them quite picked over. But one of them had tell-tale signs that they might have once carried the Clue game. Here's an interesting Scrabble edition from Winning Solutions Games. It's the Scrabble "BLING" edition (which theme Discover the Secrets would fit perfectly into). What's weird is that this game does not appear on Winning Solutions website either. There seems to be a whole line of similarly packaged "luxury" games that WS is not selling directly.

In thinking about these Franklin Mint derivative editions, I've been wondering something -- has there ever been a CLUEDO version of this cheaper alternative edition? We know the artwork exists to do it, but it seems like it's never been licensed outside the US.
Michael
Mastermind

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They probably make them specifically to be sold in the discount/outlet stores.
CluedoKid
Con Artiste

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael wrote:

I guess the FM edition is the same way, but the fact that the door spaces don't align with the artwork is really noticeable on a flat surface.

Worse yet, it looks like they totally screwed up the configuration of the Hall and Billiard Room. The hall has the fireplace where the front door should be. The billiard room side door is at the other wall, far away from the entry space!
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CluedoKid wrote:

Worse yet, it looks like they totally screwed up the configuration of the Hall and Billiard Room. The hall has the fireplace where the front door should be. The billiard room side door is at the other wall, far away from the entry space!

It looks like the Billiard Room walls flipped sides 180 degrees, while the Hall got turned 90 degrees to the right. This began with the Giant edition apparently, and persists in the new versions, with no attempt to correct it. But I have to admit that I never noticed this, even when we were discussing it on the original thread.

http://www.theartofmurder.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4338
CluedoKid
Con Artiste

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has this ever happened for any of the 3D versions or just with this 2D mutant?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TheArtofMurder.com Clue / Cluedo Discussion - Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: