New "Star Wars Clue" from Hasbro

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

New "Star Wars Clue" from Hasbro

Post by alwaysPeacock » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:01 am

Um...wow. I'm not a big Star Wars fan, but this looks pretty fantastic for a themed edition. Though I can't really tell from the photo if there's another side to this multi-level board, or if it's all played on one side.

Official Description:
It's the Clue game transported to the world of Star Wars. In this game, it's a period of civil war, and players have managed to sneak onto the Empire’s ultimate weapon, the Death Star! Be the first player to find out which planet Darth Vader plans to destroy next, which room the Death Star plans are hidden in, and which vehicle is the correct escape vehicle. The cards revealing the correct planet, room, and vehicle are placed in the mission folder at the beginning of the game -- no one sees what these are until the end. The player who correctly identifies what's in the folder wins!

Includes 6 Star Wars character pawns, 5-piece cardboard gameboard (bottom level, back wall, 2 supporting walls, top level), mission notepad, die, 6 vehicle tokens, 6 planet tokens, mission folder, 21 Clue cards (red deck), 19 corridor cards (black deck), and game guide.

• Play as Luke, Leia, Han, Chewbacca, R2-D2, or C-3PO
• Save the Galaxy from destruction by the Empire
• Figure out Darth Vader's next target
• Find the secret plans to the Death Star
• Steal the correct vehicle to escape
Official Product Page
"But look what happened to the cook!"

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:08 am

Although now I'm a little miffed Hasbro would pump extra resources into this for sculpted character pieces (colored plastic, from the photos) and not do the same for the US version of the newest standard game. Seriously, they can't cost that much to make...

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:34 pm

Funny, the round game board reminds me of this knockoff game also based on a sci-if franchise:

http://www.theartofmurder.com/forums/vi ... php?t=3793

But it's cool to see a "3D" multi-level game. I'd love to see a house version designed this way. Clearly secret passages must allow transit from lower to upper floors?

The premise of some of these games is just too convoluted to be realistic. What's wrong with a new Emporer has assumed control of a new Death Star. Discover who killed the Emperor with what and where. I mean kids know there's a lot of killing in Star Wars. The whole point of clue is that someone murdered someone. Let's at least keep that basic principle, unless it's really a kids game.

As far as the plastic figures, I agree. Hasbro's charging another $15 for this version, so I guess that justifies the expense. The U.K. Charges $17 (and that can't just be VAT) for the plastic characters -- which are definitely not worth that, despite the nicer packaging. On the other hand the extra $15 has to cover licensing of the Star Wars brand from Disney, a lot of custom equipment, and a 3-D game board as well. I'll be interested to see how much the Cluedo version retails for (surely Hasbro intends to sell this worldwide).

I wonder what the quality of this game is? How flimsy the cardboard is for this price -- which is arguably quite low considering?

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:47 pm

Here's the YouTube video. I was hoping to find one for the new Clue iOS electronic game, but it's not up yet. Hard to believe they haven't done a video demo yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7NE5A3B3qg

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:25 pm

This game seems incredibly cheap. Is anyone eager to get it? The pawns aren't even the 6 basic clue colors, so the tokens aren't even really of interest to me. Seems like Hasbro just tried to capitalize on the new movie over the holidays.

I think Michael got this edition, so I'm eager to hear what's on the backside of it ... Is it aesthetically pleasing, or just raw/blank cardboard? So far I haven't been able to find a picture of the back of it anywhere online. But we're definitely seeing all there is as far as gameplay.

The only thing I'm interested in this game for is as a template for making my own 3D mansion board game. I'm actually surprised that we haven't been discussing it more, as isn't this the first multi-level clue game ever published?

This might make a great new Master Detective template, maybe even adding a third level with an Attic, and a bedroom and bathroom as the added rooms. If only they would add Wadsworth, Yvette and Mrs. Ho, it would be perfect. But they won't. I'd just settle for adding Mrs. White back.

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:04 pm

I wouldn't say I'm eager to get this game, but I do take a scan of every toy aisle/department I come across, just in case it pops up. I haven't seen it anywhere except online. I'm not a huge Star Wars fan, but I know a lot of my board game playing friends would enjoy the crossover. Me, I'd enjoy the novelty a multi-tiered Clue game.

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:46 am

I just got this for Christmas, so I’m pretty behind on it all. But I’m doing a giveaway for the game on my YouTube channel in case anybody wants to enter for a chance to win it.

https://youtu.be/7Kg-QuRwmog
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:27 pm

Michael wrote:I just got this for Christmas, so I’m pretty behind on it all. But I’m doing a giveaway for the game on my YouTube channel in case anybody wants to enter for a chance to win it.

https://youtu.be/7Kg-QuRwmog
Nice! Somebody gave you a duplicate didn't they!? Haha

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:25 pm

No. It’s only $25. I average more than that every day in ad revenue! So I like to give back. ;)
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

BBP
Investigator

Post by BBP » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:54 am

Nice to see you! :D

Wish I could enter...