logo
Homepage Forums Clue Games Cluedo Games Stage & Screen Gaming Puzzle Series In Print Miscellaneous Links & Information
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Clue Movie to Become Stage Production
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TheArtofMurder.com Clue / Cluedo Discussion - Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael, how big was the audience? How did they respond?
Michael
Mastermind

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing the theater held around 500 people. It was full. I was a little surprised that it seemed the average patron was retirement aged and commented as much to Tum. The seating was pretty uncomfortable, but I'm 6'4 so that's usually the case for me. Thankfully it was slightly staggered so I didn't feel too bad for the person behind me. I was in the center of the third row.

The stage curtain had a sort of watery effect on it reminiscent of the sky shots in the opening credits of the movie. I think they lost an opportunity to project the movie title on it.

The play opens with wadsworth entering the hall to some dramatic thunder and lightning effects which I thought was great. He quickly calls over the maid and cook for instructions and then goes straight to introducing all the suspects as they arrive one after another. There was some talking directly to the audience about paying attention to clues and whatnot somewhere in there too.

They did incorporate variations on the musical score which I did enjoy.

The first scene is dinner. It follows close to the movie. There are lots of jokes about the bad smell of the soup which was also mentioned as guests arrived (instead of the dog *beep* smell I guess).

Here's where the storyline starts to differ. Boddy arrives, but he's clearly orchestrated the whole evening instead of wadsworth. He goes to the study to wait for them.

During dinner we watch Mrs peacock absurdly lick her spoon after every bite. We saw when she arrived that she recognized the cook and it was mentioned so there is nothing subtle about her relationship with her.

After dinner in the study, boddy goes on about how he's blackmailed them for being unAmerican. He handcuffs a briefcase supposedly containing evidence to wadsworth. We also learn here that Plum is a communist who teaches drama or something. It was a setup to make self referential jokes I think. Anyway, the weapons get passed out. They are comical. The candlestick irritated me to no end. It was a stubby sort of decorative thing. Not very leathal. The light go out. Boddy is killed.

Peacock drinks the brandy. Yvette screams off stage. They bring her back. Boddy is gone. Peacock goes to the toilet. Eventually she returns with the stupid doll representing boddy's dead body clinging to her back. They find the briefcase key on him and open it to find a letter that instructs them that for some reason boddy will give them a chance to find their evidence against them if they can solve three clues that will lead them to it. So they split up to search. (There's no drawing lots, they just head out). but around this time they also decide to lock the weapons in the broom closet.

(Continued...)
CluedoKid
Con Artiste

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have photos from the production besides just the stage?
Mastermind

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They go to throw away the key. The motorist comes. They lock him in the lounge.

(I forgot the scene in the kitchen happened earlier where they find the cooks body in the refrigerator).

Anyway, wadsworth blatantly tells the audience he didn't throw away the weapons keyand we should pay attention to what happens to it. Next comes one of the dance type numbers where all the suspects go back and forth from door to dooor around the stage and you see the key pass from hand to hand until the lights go out thanks to the storm. (I should also mention that when Plum and Scarlet arrived, they said the bridge washed out behind them, which now makes me wonder how the motorist arrived. Anyway, this is the reason it will take the cops 60 minutes to arrive and wadsworth constantly reminds us how much time is left. It's not funny...). In the dark, we see a figure in shadow (but clearly male with a trench coat and top hat) unlock the broom closet, get the wrench and kill the motorist).

In the ballroom, mustard and Scarlet figure out the first clue. Something about little boy blue and the high sea... well Scarlet dramatically pushes back a curtain like the movie to reveal a piano. They hit a c note and a portrait of boy blue opens up. They follow it to find the dead Motorist. (There is even some talking to the audience about how it's supposed to be a secret passage from the conservatory, not the ballroom. It doesn't make sense...).

I do t recall exactly the timing of the next two clues. One led them to the library to listen to a record. The other I can't recall at all...

Anyway, the cop arrives. The guests pull the bodies/dolls out into the hall and they dance all around with them to make it appear they aren't dead. The cop goes to use the phone (in the billiard room...). Maybe this was when the lights went out. Anyway, the cop gets killed in the dark. The singing telegram arrives and is killed. Eventually the group finds them and for some reason has to go to the conservatory. (I think to find the last clue). Anyway, there under a tarp, we find the dead Yvette.

Then wadsworth reveals that he knows who did it and he's going to tell them how it happened. So he does so In a VERY abreiviated fashion. I recall in the movie script that Lynn points out that the humor in this is how fast wadsworth races them through everything. That is completely lost here. It's not fast or funny.

There's some back and forth where all the guests try to steal the "evidence" so they can blackmail the others. Eventually Mr green reveals he's with the FBI. (There was no evangelist scene, by the way...). He shoots wadsworth. There is a lot of talk about how green is bad at his job for letting so many people die. Then he goes home to sleep with his wife.

The end.

Overall, I didn't really hate it. I just don't think they did the movie justice in any way. The slapstick comedy wasn't that funny. The costumes didn't come close to the awesomeness of the movie. Not by a long shot. The sets made the house very Tudor when it should be gothic. The study's portraits were of a fancy looking man and woman instead of something political which surprised me as they REALLY played up the political aspects of the plot. And the woman's portrait was missing her eyes. I kept expecting something to happen with that but it never did. I mentioned in another post a subplot about wadsworth getting blackmailed for stealing a cat. That eventually gets shot down and falls on stage instead of a chandelier. (It got messed up though and fell about 5 minutes too early. It was kind of funny wondering what that was all about as the characters ignored it...). Another random cat falls later when the last bullet is fired off. It made no sense either. I think the writer was going for stupid shock jokes instead of the wonderful subtlety of the movie. That disappointed me.

I forgot too that they referenced the name of the house several times as Boddy Manor instead of Hill House. Maybe that explains why it's Tudor. This is only one of many changes that are completely unnecessary. It even creates a goof because later wadsworth/boddy claims to have rented the house.

Oh well, that's about all I can think of for now. If you have any other questions, let me know.
CluedoKid
Con Artiste

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do they play up the gay trope with Mr. Green in this? Also, did they feature the Kitchen/Study passage?
Mastermind

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Green was gay. This actually reminds me of a change I didn't understand. Wadsworth outs him instead of him outing himself. He then sits next to Peacock. She looks in her purse and then offers him a stick of gum. No other reaction... there was also some motive thrown in for killing the singing telegram girl (they went to acting class together taught by Plum?). Wadsworth tries to say Green killed the girl so green explains whoever has the gun killed the girl...

Anyway, he wasn't overtly gay. If they didn't explain it, you'd have never known unless there was some really subtle acting going on. So subtle he just disappeared into the background.
Michael
Mastermind

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think they did the kitchen secret passage...
Michael
Mastermind

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I don't have pics, but google Clue on stage review and you'll find production pics posted the other day.
Michael
Mastermind

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another example of the movie's humor taken tooo far: when white says her husband was found with his you know what cut off, instead of the leg crossing, the men all stumble around the stage with their hands covering their crotch and moaning. It's this method of taking the subtle humor and throwing it in your face that makes me angry.
alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your description of the plot changes sounds like how someone who had only seen the movie once (in theaters) might describe their vague memories of it to someone many years later. Meaning I imagine the playwright did exactly that when he sat down to adapt it for the stage. Lynn's screenplay is already very heavily reliant on wordplay & rapid fire dialogue, I would have thought it easy to adapt for the stage. Apparently not.

It sounds almost painfully unfunny. Slapstick is difficult for most actors anyway, and too much of it can get tiring for everyone involved. I hold out some hope that after this premiere production the script will get some fine tuning before regional & amateur rights are made available. It would be an easy seller for most little theatre companies & colleges anyway, the writers would be guaranteed some steady (not big) income for life.
alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol

Quote:
Foster contacted Struthers last year to tell her he was doing a workshop of “Clue” and that he wanted her to be a part of it.

“I had played the board game my whole childhood with my sister Sue and my cousins John and Betsy, so I know the game really well,” she says. “He asked if I had seen the movie, but I hadn’t, so he sent me a script. To tell you the truth, I didn’t like it. It wasn’t funny and it didn’t grab me.”

Foster assured Struthers the script was going through a rewrite and would be funny, and she trusted him and accepted the part.

Source: http://www.centraljersey.com/time_off/sally-struthers-has-a-clue-at-bucks-county-playhouse/article_8c16fe42-31b1-11e7-bf28-0bf2801fc599.html
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds horrific.

Hundreds of high school and amateur productions come off better than this sounds.

I can't believe the fundamental changes they made to the game, let alone the movie.

So how did the audience react? Were they generally more amused than you, or did the whole thing just fly over their heads?
Michael
Mastermind

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't quite recall how the audience reacted. In general there was a lot of clapping and laughing.

I will say that seeing the lines delivered in a different way made me notice a couple things I never picked up on in the movie. For instance when Mrs. White says it's a great trick (re the lounge door being locked) she would naturally say something like that of course because her husband was an illusionist. I don't know why I never made that connection before.

There was also some pretty good choreography. There was a lot of interesting dramatic poses. There was a scene where the characters run in slow motion. And when Wadsworth says he will take them through the events of the evening, they all do a sort of a rewind movement which was somewhat amusing, but really takes you out of the scene unnecessarily.
Bostancic25
Suspect

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone. This is my first time posting here, though I have been a fan of the board game itself for a while. It recently helped me cope through some tough times and for that I'll always be grateful to it.

As for the play which I saw tonight. I'm actually from Bucks County PA, and the theater is only a 15 minute drive from my house, so you can imagine my excitement when it was announced they were developing a stage play based on this game to premier of all places in my back yard. I think going into it with an open mind it lived up to my expectations. I've always been one to accept that adaptations will never be word for word of the source material, though I have met a number of people who don't see it that way, which is totally cool. They did their best to present a murder mystery comedy in a style I think Anthony E. Pratt always wanted us to imagine his game as (though I've always seen it in a much serious and darker manner). It did have it's deviations from the movie that Michael here described above. When I looked past them though, I saw a play that did bring the movie to life in front of me for 90 minutes, no intermission. The audience all seemed to be enjoying it and I know my mom though it was hysterical. If you do have your reservations about seeing it, I suggest giving it a try. I thought it was good for what it was intended to be.
Michael
Mastermind

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realize that the majority of the people who saw the show in my group probably haven't seen the movie. Or if they had, they weren't going into it with my discriminating eye. Clearly I'm biased as I think the movie is pretty close to perfection.

The dumbing down issues really bothered me. No congress person's wife would behave like Peacock does... Mustard bordered on over the top stupid. (But I still enjoyed his acting. I think because he reminds me of someone). White did a good job really channeling Madeline Kahn, but I'm not sure why as none of the other actors really tried to imitate the movie actors. Miss Scarlet was alright but her bright red hair was distracting. Green didn't have a great role at all and was mostly un-memorable. Plum was completely changed - I suppose to eliminate the sexual humor. This would explain Yvette's boring maid costume.. I guess the cook being Russian did work in context with the political focus of the plot, but she wasn't convincing at all. And as I pointed out before, Wasdworth was acting like a ring leader instead of a butler.

Anyway, if there's a bright spot in all this, maybe we can hope for a new movie release - perhaps with extra footage or commentary.
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mentioned the ending was the everybody did it ending? Does that mean it's the exact same as the everyone did it ending from the movie?

If so, then there's really no surprise ... It's like watching an episode of Columbo, knowing who the murderer is, to see how Columbo solves it, or in this case adapts the movie to stage.

@Bostancic25 raised a point for me -- this is the kind of play I expect to have an intermission, to get the audience talking about whodunnit. If there's no real mystery then there's no reason to discuss it, other than the differences between the film and adaptation, which clearly can have polarized results.
Michael
Mastermind

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the ending is pretty much the same, but the whole reveal is very abbreviated. When Wadsworth is explaining how it was done, he reveals each murder as he explains it instead of saving the reveal till the end. There is no real aha moment. The only semi-twist is Wadsworth trying to frame green for the singing telegrams murder.

Last edited by Michael on Thu May 11, 2017 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
CluedoKid
Con Artiste

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see Yvette is black, like my Yvette for my Murder, Mystery and Mayhem game. Actually, they look nearly alike.

Is the cop black in this one? Afterall, they did change the cook's ethnicity.
Mastermind

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cop was white.
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
Yes, the ending is pretty much the same, but the whole reveal is very abbreviated. When Wadsworth is explaining how it was done, he reveals each murder as he explains it instead of saving the reveal till the end. There is no real aha moment. The only semi-twist is Wadsworth trying to frame green for the singing telegrams murder there is no real aha moment. The only semi-twist is Wadsworth trying to frame green for the singing telegrams murder.

That's too bad. The ending is what Clue is all about. And the multiple endings is what really makes it Clue. A stage play could have had different characters offer different endings (suggestions), perhaps from the movie, culminating with the actual ending (accusation) being revealed -- it would have made it far more interesting -- they could have even depicted the unused 4th ending to make it a surprise for those familiar with the film. The reality is the endings of the movies weren't necessarily the best part of it, and having everyone do it -- as the only ending -- kind of defeats the premise of Clue.

It's also interesting that they removed that aspect of the audience participation from this play, which was present in the musical, and the original stage play, as well as to some extent the movie, if only by random draw.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TheArtofMurder.com Clue / Cluedo Discussion - Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: