logo
Homepage Forums Clue Games Cluedo Games Stage & Screen Gaming Puzzle Series In Print Miscellaneous Links & Information
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cluedo introduce new character and kill off a classic!!!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TheArtofMurder.com Clue / Cluedo Discussion - Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CluedoKid
Con Artiste

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen the latest edition (not that I've looked) but when I had the 1996 edition, it was bilingual. Also, the lead pipe was correctly referred to as tuyau de plomb.
Gumshoe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lead pipe was called « Matraque » since the first edition and until the last edition.. I only saw the term « Tuyau de plomb » in the Cluedo CDI or in the equivalent on PC.

Now Hasbro uses « Barre de Fer » in the last edition.

Note that 3 rooms have been renamed :
- Véranda (Conservatory) is now called Jardin d’hiver
- Salle de Bal (Ballroom) is now called Salle de Réception
- Hall (Hall) is now called Entrée
alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CluedoKid wrote:
I haven't seen the latest edition (not that I've looked) but when I had the 1996 edition, it was bilingual. Also, the lead pipe was correctly referred to as tuyau de plomb.

Seems I've answered my own question. A cursory glance at the Canadian sites for both Amazon and Hasbro shows every recent edition has been bilingual (makes the 2013 2-sided edition's box cover VERY crowded with text), but the current edition, if the photos are accurate, is only in English.

Oddly, the French Canadian Hasbro site doesn't even display the newest edition, but instead still markets the cheap 2-sided game. To be fair, though, Hasbro doesn't actually maintain their websites terribly well (Hasbro UK offers a page for CLUE, yet displays photos of the larger Cluedo game), so it's very likely they just haven't bothered to update all of their international sites in accordance with the actual products available in stores.

Professeur_Violet: my Franch is very rusty (and was never terribly good to begin with). Do the new room names & translation of "lead pipe" align better with the new artwork? Would they be considered more faithful translations of what the original English version tries to convey? Or do they just seem like completely arbitrary changes after decades of different labeling?
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought by law any product offered in Canada had to be labled in French and English? Has this changed?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TheArtofMurder.com Clue / Cluedo Discussion - Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Page 11 of 11

Jump to: