logo
Homepage Forums Clue Games Cluedo Games Stage & Screen Gaming Puzzle Series In Print Miscellaneous Links & Information
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cluedo introduce new character and kill off a classic!!!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TheArtofMurder.com Clue / Cluedo Discussion - Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JepMZ
Suspect

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Murder by Death wrote:
JepMZ wrote:
Fantastic pictures, Death

I want to ask if you have any pictures of the back of the figurines?

For transparency's sake, it's for a certain simulator purposes or maybe draw over them or something. I'll probably end up buying that clue Jr game for my own physical sets of figures. They are actually pretty neat, except the odd eyes thing

You mean reverse pics of the Junior figurines or the Cluedo figurines? I have taken pictures from various angles of some of the Cluedo figurines, but haven't made the time to it the way I wanted to. I may line them up this weekend again and do a quick shot from the rear, as the Junior tokens in particular have some amazing detail on the backside.

Oh! My bad! The Cluedo figures. I won't be using the Cluedo Jr reverse pics but yeah, I'll definitely be admiring those pics too! Thank you for all these photographs! They are so crisp and clear.
Black
Bindle Stiff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick advert I found

https://youtu.be/_hB5SaJXpLQ

The advert is around 2:41
alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got my hands on a UK edition of the new game. Long story short: a friend was going to pick one up for me while she was abroad, but discovered the game wouldn't fit in with the rest of her luggage. I got lucky & found an unopened copy with a slightly smushed box on eBay for only 6 GBP. After converting to USD & adding shipping, I paid less than $20 USD all together. Cool

It's definitely a better made product than the Clue version. All the paper parts feel nicer (the cards are ever so slightly thicker), the board has a lovely textured back, the printing is much more vivid looking than the Clue counterparts, and, of course, the suspect figures. They feel surprisingly sturdy, and are much taller than I'd expected them to be. Though I did notice Rev. Green's playing piece is wearing a normal button-up, collared shirt, exactly like the Mr. Green artwork in Clue. So, there really is no reason (other than making the game locally & cheaply) Hasbro North America couldn't have used these figures, too. Rolling Eyes
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alwaysPeacock wrote:
I finally got my hands on a UK edition of the new game. Long story short: a friend was going to pick one up for me while she was abroad, but discovered the game wouldn't fit in with the rest of her luggage. I got lucky & found an unopened copy with a slightly smushed box on eBay for only 6 GBP. After converting to USD & adding shipping, I paid less than $20 USD all together. Cool

It's definitely a better made product than the Clue version. All the paper parts feel nicer (the cards are ever so slightly thicker), the board has a lovely textured back, the printing is much more vivid looking than the Clue counterparts, and, of course, the suspect figures. They feel surprisingly sturdy, and are much taller than I'd expected them to be. Though I did notice Rev. Green's playing piece is wearing a normal button-up, collared shirt, exactly like the Mr. Green artwork in Clue. So, there really is no reason (other than making the game locally & cheaply) Hasbro North America couldn't have used these figures, too. Rolling Eyes

He's wearing that shirt because as we learned at some point, Rev. Green's clerical collar came later, and they just slapped the clerical collar on over the existing artwork. Much like they're doing on the Marmalade game ... So clearly they couldn't be bothered to update the token to match.
alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Murder by Death wrote:
He's wearing that shirt because as we learned at some point, Rev. Green's clerical collar came later, and they just slapped the clerical collar on over the existing artwork. Much like they're doing on the Marmalade game ... So clearly they couldn't be bothered to update the token to match.

That makes sense. I knew there had been some talk about it on here, I just wasn't prepared to dig through this thread to find it.

For what it's worth: I did notice Hasbro's Scattergories & Taboo games have recently been given a nice update in the quality of their components (most notably, Taboo has the buzzer again, instead of the dog-toy squeaker thing they were using). So I like to think there's a sliver of a chance the Clue game may get either A.) better playing pieces, or B.) at least a new "deluxe" spin off type game in the next year or two. Personally, I'd love to see the new Mrs. White as a playing piece, tiny dog and all.
alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, MBD, I looked back in this thread at the photos you posted of the Cluedo game you picked up in Australia. Unlike your copy, mine only states "Made in Ireland," and features an even smaller serial number on the Miss Scarlett card. Otherwise, all of your musings on the color & paper stock differences seem to match with mine. The Clue game is definitely lighter/brighter (ever so slightly) than the Cluedo game.

I've no idea why Hasbro would split production between Ireland, USA, and China for one game. I could understand it if the Clue games were consistently made in the USA & China, while the Cluedo games were consistently made in Ireland and/or China, but they haven't been. Maybe Hasbro gets different prices in certain regions at different times of the year?
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alwaysPeacock wrote:
Also, MBD, I looked back in this thread at the photos you posted of the Cluedo game you picked up in Australia. Unlike your copy, mine only states "Made in Ireland," and features an even smaller serial number on the Miss Scarlett card. Otherwise, all of your musings on the color & paper stock differences seem to match with mine. The Clue game is definitely lighter/brighter (ever so slightly) than the Cluedo game.

I've no idea why Hasbro would split production between Ireland, USA, and China for one game. I could understand it if the Clue games were consistently made in the USA & China, while the Cluedo games were consistently made in Ireland and/or China, but they haven't been. Maybe Hasbro gets different prices in certain regions at different times of the year?

There could be tariff considerations, and other issues were not privy too. It may just be keeping a particular plant open and manufacturing, so better to spread the duties around. Also, probably cheaper just to ship a box of tokens to Ireland, than entire assembled boxes which can be easily crushed in shipping.
Mr_Scarlett
Snoop

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cluedo-Qui-tu%C3%A9-Madame-Leblanc/dp/2011956528/ref=sr_1_15?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1503169607&sr=1-15&keywords=cluedo

Seems that Mrs. White was killed off after all!

Qui a tué Madame Leblanc translates as 'Who killed Mrs. White?'

Shame it's in French only, I'd be interested to read it. Any French speakers on here?
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr_Scarlett wrote:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cluedo-Qui-tu%C3%A9-Madame-Leblanc/dp/2011956528/ref=sr_1_15?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1503169607&sr=1-15&keywords=cluedo

Seems that Mrs. White was killed off after all!

Qui a tué Madame Leblanc translates as 'Who killed Mrs. White?'

Shame it's in French only, I'd be interested to read it. Any French speakers on here?

While these are obviously licensed novels, I'm not sure they are canon. This website has a more detailed description which includes Mrs. white as the "faithful governess". And we all know that's not the description that's been given in the Marmalade game.

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=&sl=fr&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.laprocure.com%2Fcluedo-volume-tue-madame-leblanc-katherine-quenot%2F9782011956521.html
Mr_Scarlett
Snoop

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canon or not, I find it interesting that in this official book she is not only confirmed as deceased for the first time, but murdered by one of the other characters!

Maybe that would have been a good premise for the re-launch of the board game, have Mrs. White as the victim.
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr_Scarlett wrote:
Canon or not, I find it interesting that in this official book she is not only confirmed as deceased for the first time, but murdered by one of the other characters!

Maybe that would have been a good premise for the re-launch of the board game, have Mrs. White as the victim.

Yeah, except I don't think any one of us want Mrs. white dead. Like the comics and the video games, my guess is these books were licensed even before Hasbro knew what they were doing with Mrs. White, and they likely determined the course of the story, without any input from Hasbro. Keep in Mind one of the main characters may be dead in the comic too, and quite likely murdered by another of the suspects. Mystery at sea also had the players select a victim from the cards, who was ultimately murdered by another suspect. So it's not the first official publication to do so.

It's definitely an interesting concept, and certainly not one any different than killing Mr. Boddy off every game. But like most of us, I'm hoping for an expansion game that gives us Mrs. white as an optional character along with some new rooms and weapons, and officially killing her off would eliminate that option -- not that I would put it past Hasbro, but I think even they realize now killing off one of the original 6 is a bad idea which won't go over with the fans.
Professeur_Violet
Gumshoe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I'm french ! I'll try to find it and tell you a little bit more.
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A thought occurred to me today ... Why did Hasbro go back to the original mansion? And I don't just mean the original rooms, and layout, but the exact same shape as the original 1949 mansion, with the unique serrated semi-circles around the ends of the hallways to nowhere ...? Is it to protect their trademarks? Or copyrights? After two attempts to completely change the game's shape and layout, they went back to the exact same design. No one would blame them for updating the exterior shape of the mansion and shape of the rooms so long as they kept the basic layout and room assignment. It just struck me as odd that they returned so literally to the original game designs.
alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt they gave it that much thought, really. I'd bet the person responsible for the line about the reopening of the house is who we have to thank. By using the original border designs, they could plant their subtle wink to the handful of people who would get it (namely anyone of a certain age who happened to have bought one of the last 2.5 editions, and the people like us who know every inch of every edition ever).

Plus, it's the one board design element which has been used in multiple editions since 1949. Frankly, it was probably just a matter of pulling up their blank digital copy of the board & inserting the new artwork. Tweak some colors, boom, classic board with a facelift. EDIT: I have realized the colored domes around the start spaces have been cut in favor of coloring the space itself. Otherwise this new board is pretty much the original outlines, edited Conservatory and Hall walls notwithstanding.

Also: during Clue's awkward phase (2009-2016), Amazon reviews for the DTS and later "C.L.U.E. Houses" editions were overwhelmingly negative. This wasn't the game people remembered, it was poorly made, etc. Many reviewers were recommending shoppers buy the Classic Edition from Winning Moves instead.

So in theory: Hasbro designs a line of Clue games young people don't care about, and older people hate. They're losing business to the companies licensing the brand for their deluxe classic games. Maybe Hasbro can make more money selling the original Clue game themselves. More people will buy the $8 game than the $30+ game if it looks like the game they grew up with. But how do we get people interested in buying a new, old school Clue game? New suspect! Retire Mrs. White.

Press release, and here we are now. A year later, we have a crappy "deluxe" edition, and a mobile app which has made significant additions to Hasbro's own canon. I was hoping we'd have a new spin off game by now. Unless they're dropping it on us right after Halloween, but that seems like cutting it close if they want to market it as a holiday gift.
WhatNow
Suspect

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've thought Reverend/Mister Green could be a female character instead.

A female vicar or businesswoman could be interesting.

And, therefore, 1 of the women becomes a male.

Miss Scarlet(t) could become Mr Scarlet(t) - Mrs Peacock's stepson.

Etc.
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WhatNow wrote:
I've thought Reverend/Mister Green could be a female character instead.

A female vicar or businesswoman could be interesting.

And, therefore, 1 of the women becomes a male.

Miss Scarlet(t) could become Mr Scarlet(t) - Mrs Peacock's stepson.

Etc.

Excellent suggestion!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TheArtofMurder.com Clue / Cluedo Discussion - Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to: