logo
Homepage Forums Clue Games Cluedo Games Stage & Screen Gaming Puzzle Series In Print Miscellaneous Links & Information
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cluedo introduce new character and kill off a classic!!!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TheArtofMurder.com Clue / Cluedo Discussion - Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, looks like it. Where did you find that? I have the old "Case of the Missing Cake" game, but I'm not sure how those figures would work. In the older junior games, all the bases have some kind of clue under them, which get mixed up every game. Not sure how this version works, since I don't see a way for the character bases to change.

Of course the junior version gets figures (I will never let this rest, lol). Fits with the other junior games now, all of which (even Scrabble Junior) come with sculpted figures for the kids to play with (though these don't look as detailed as the Monopoly, Life, and Scrabble figures, all being one solid color).

Glad to see they've fixed the Peacock & Plum starting spaces, which were reversed in the last version of this game.
alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hasbro UK has a new video ad for the updated game, with a brief shout out to Dr. Orchid at the end. They haven't bothered to record a new voice over from their old ad ("Was it Scarlett...in the bedroom?") Seems it's mostly recycled footage from their ad for the 2013 version, with the artwork from the new game digitally inserted.
alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Answered my own question by popping over to Hasbro's website. Looks like the white bases now fit over the plastic, colored bases.

Bit creepy: the figures' eyes have been painted. :/

Not very clear there, but you can get a closer look on the full product page.

Pity they didn't come up with a new mystery, but it's not the first time Hasbro has given the junior game nothing more than a cosmetic upgrade (two versions of Hidden Toys, one in a house, the other in a neighborhood street). I do really like how the box art mirrors the "adult" game, something only the original Clue Jr. and second version of Hidden Toys have done.
IdontKnow
Suspect

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In The Entertainer shop (UK) the version of Cluedo with the bedroom, bathroom and garage was £10.
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alwaysPeacock wrote:
Answered my own question by popping over to Hasbro's website. Looks like the white bases now fit over the plastic, colored bases.

Bit creepy: the figures' eyes have been painted. :/

Not very clear there, but you can get a closer look on the full product page.

Pity they didn't come up with a new mystery, but it's not the first time Hasbro has given the junior game nothing more than a cosmetic upgrade (two versions of Hidden Toys, one in a house, the other in a neighborhood street). I do really like how the box art mirrors the "adult" game, something only the original Clue Jr. and second version of Hidden Toys have done.

Yes, the painted eyes are incredibly creepy -- why would they even go to the expense to do that!? Seriously -- they go to the expense to paint the pawns eyes on the Junior edition, but can't be bothered to include the character tokens in the adult North American edition?

It's funny, despite this push to unify the Clue/do world from board games to electronic, the GRAB N GO edition is keeping Discover the Secrets alive! Sadly the only current edition in which Mrs. White lives on ...

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QUALITY

So, I finally picked up a Clue game. I happened by a Kmart, and found it on sale for $8. What a bargain! So I basically paid $26 to have both editions. So I took a few basic measurements to get an idea of the difference in the manufacture quality between the two games. Turns out there's some significant differences between the two in construction quality.

CARDS -- The CLUE cards are slightly thinner and lighter than the Cluedo cards. However, it seems truly negligible in this case unlike previous editions.
Clue 1.4g/.29mm
Cluedo 1.5g/.33mm

ENVELOPE -- Surprisingly the Clue envelope is almost twice as thick as the Cluedo envelope. Score one for the North American version.
Clue 3.4g/.48
Cluedo 2.1g/.24mm

BOX -- There appears to be a substantive difference between the Clue and Cluedo boxes, with Cluedo being noticeably thicker.
Clue 1.27mm thick -- 4.3cm tall
Cluedo 1.47mm thick -- 5cm tall

BOARD -- Here's where the lower quality of the Clue game really comes into play; it's a much thinner and lighter board which can affect gameplay.
Clue 321g/1.78mm -- Split through dining room and between Billiard Room and Library, fold through ballroom and hall.
Cluedo 384g/2.36mm -- Split through ballroom and Hall, fold through dining room and between billiard room and library

I think these editions continue a traditional difference between these two editions -- the US editions I believe mostly fold vertically, while many of the UK editions fold horizontally. The latter makes the most sense, as the fold only divides one room rather than two. On a quad board I suppose it's the lesser of the two evils, between the splits and folds, but the split only really affects one room equally between the games.

There are some other interesting differences that affect the quality of these games for me.

The US Detective notepads seem cheaper, and notice in the picture below, they are a completely different printing for some reason -- a lighter blue, of which there's much less ink on the page; possibly a cost saving move? Either way, since they are otherwise identical, wouldn't it still be cheaper to print them in bulk for all editions?

While the playing cards don't suffer and significant physical differences, at least in my edition, the US edition is considerably lighter -- less ink = cheaper? Also note the rounded corners, instead of the more squared corners of the Cluedo editions. Different serial numbers clearly indicate different production runs between them as well.

Another area where there's a considerable difference in the printing quality is the game board itself. Note how much lighter the Clue board is compared to the Cluedo board. Is this an effort to save ink costs, or was there a conscious effort to make the North American edition brighter? Or is this just my particular copy?

Also, note how at least in my Clue edition, the split in the board doesn't line up at all. My Cluedo copy doesn't have this problem. Again, this could be merely a problem with my copy, or it could be a general sign of lower quality manifesting itself in the construction and assembly as well.

As discussed above the one are the Cluedo edition is cheaper is the envelope. Interestingly, it's the Cluedo edition which uses less black ink this time -- and they are clearly labeled with different serial numbers distinguishing the obvious physical differences. (Cluedo is on top)

alwaysPeacock wrote:

Would love to see the rest of the Clue cards & suspect figures, when you've time to take pictures/scan them. I'm surprised there's meant to be 29 of them (awkward sort of number), but not too surprised the US edition got skimmed down to 9. It fits with Clue's status as a budget game (compared to Monopoly, Life, and Risk, it's produced more like the newest Sorry, Trouble, and Yahtzee) & the whole "made in the USA" crap Hasbro's been pushing in recent years (b/c "made in the USA" really just means "cheap junk" when it comes to toys, games, and Ford vehicles).

One wonders why Hasbro US even bothered keeping the Clue cards? Surely standard dice in lieu of the custom dice and printing/packing 9 less cards would have been cheaper.

Now I really need to get my hands on the UK/Australian/wherever version. On the bright side, at least we all get to share the tacky Scarlett card with the serial number on full display...

@alwaysPeacock -- I'm curious, you mention earlier about these cheap Hasbro square boxes being part of a "Made in the USA" campaign, but my square box CLUE edition is made in Ireland, and appears to be imported by Canada. Do you have a different version that's actually marked as Made In The USA? My Clue copy has more and different numbers than the Cluedo copy as well.

Last edited by Murder by Death on Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:45 pm; edited 3 times in total
alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was typing up a response, but I've noticed more differences than I can to detail in words. I'm going to get some scans/photos up so you can see for yourself.

Side thought while I get my scanner going: what are the chances of future themed games adopting a pink character in lieu of a white character? Or, perhaps, skipping the colors entirely, like the Star Wars game?
alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Click each thumbnail to view the full sized images. I like to try to keep the photos from taking up too much real-estate on the screen)

First up, bottom panel of the box top, featuring the "Made in USA..." statement, and for some reason, the contact address for Hasbro Australia.

That same text is repeated on the reverse side of the rules booklet. A shorter version with contact information for Hasbro Canada is printed in both English and French on the back of the box.

Miss Scarlett's card:

And the text on the board itself. No mention of Ireland, and mine has another code which feels like it was stamped onto the board -- the letters and numbers have distinctly different texture than the rest of the board. It reads "ELM62072P8," and I don't see that series of numbers on any of the other pieces of the game. Maybe I have a first edition? That'd be cool, though more time consuming to verify than I'd prefer:

As for the split in the board, my Dining Room lines up just fine, though it did take setting a heavy book on the open board to get it to lie flat when I first opened it. Perhaps yours is a fluke.
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alwaysPeacock wrote:
(Click each thumbnail to view the full sized images. I like to try to keep the photos from taking up too much real-estate on the screen)

First up, bottom panel of the box top, featuring the "Made in USA..." statement, and for some reason, the contact address for Hasbro Australia.

That same text is repeated on the reverse side of the rules booklet. A shorter version with contact information for Hasbro Canada is printed in both English and French on the back of the box.

Miss Scarlett's card:

And the text on the board itself. No mention of Ireland, and mine has another code which feels like it was stamped onto the board -- the letters and numbers have distinctly different texture than the rest of the board. It reads "ELM62072P8," and I don't see that series of numbers on any of the other pieces of the game. Maybe I have a first edition? That'd be cool, though more time consuming to verify than I'd prefer:

As for the split in the board, my Dining Room lines up just fine, though it did take setting a heavy book on the open board to get it to lie flat when I first opened it. Perhaps yours is a fluke.

Wow. That's a very different version. Looks like Hasbro is making the square box in various locations. It's likely they are making Cluedo in different locations as well. There is no embossing on my version, though previous Clue versions I have purchased have had that. I wonder if that's a US only manufacturing trait? I wonder if it's a serial number, or merely a part ID? A serial number would make sense from a machine stamp that changes number every pressing. Others would have to weigh in on what that number reads on their boards.

Here's the back of my US edition rules booklet. No mention of Ireland, or Made in the USA. So yet another big difference from yours.

I have also attached the side box panels from both the Clue, and Cluedo games for completeness.

I'd like to know what a red lion in a yellow triangle means -- looks like a caution warning that playing the game is not advised around lions? Wink

Last edited by Murder by Death on Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:56 am; edited 1 time in total
alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My board has the same series of numbers printed outside the Study as your board, so I assumed that was the part number for the board itself.

I can understand printing the Cluedo boards in Ireland...but why also print Clue boards there? Then pay to ship them to North America?

I would love to be able to pick the brains of the higher ups at Hasbro. As friendly and helpful as their customer service reps have always been, I doubt they'd have access to the answers I'd be seeking.

Next time I'm out & about, I'll have a look at the games currently in stock, see if they're labeled like mine or like yours (externally, at least).
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alwaysPeacock wrote:
My board has the same series of numbers printed outside the Study as your board, so I assumed that was the part number for the board itself.

I can understand printing the Cluedo boards in Ireland...but why also print Clue boards there? Then pay to ship them to North America?

I would love to be able to pick the brains of the higher ups at Hasbro. As friendly and helpful as their customer service reps have always been, I doubt they'd have access to the answers I'd be seeking.

Next time I'm out & about, I'll have a look at the games currently in stock, see if they're labeled like mine or like yours (externally, at least).

Here's the embossed number which shows up on the previous Clue edition:

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The Lion in the Triangle is a symbol of safety and quality, backed by a Code of Practice and developed by the British Toy & Hobby Association (BTHA) in 1988. Toys bearing the Lion Mark have been made to the highest standards currently in force in Britain and the European Community (BS 5665/BS EN 71). It is a symbol of toy safety and quality for the consumer.

SOURCE

Even your box was made in Ireland? So, the whole thing... Ugh, see, now I really can't comprehend making the North American game in the same place as the UK game and NOT getting the same suspect tokens in both games.

Also, the back cover of my rules booklet matches yours. I was typing too quickly the other day & implied it was different.
OhNoNotMeAgain
Suspect

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think (am I right?) that there are 2 versions of the version with the bedroom, bathroom, garage, and games room.

One with stairs leading to the bedroom, and one without stairs leading to the bedroom.
cluefan8888
Gumshoe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OhNoNotMeAgain wrote:
I think (am I right?) that there are 2 versions of the version with the bedroom, bathroom, garage, and games room.

One with stairs leading to the bedroom, and one without stairs leading to the bedroom.
You are right.
OhNoNotMeAgain
Suspect

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cluefan8888 wrote:
OhNoNotMeAgain wrote:

You are right.

I thought so because I saw a picture of that board and noticed there were no stairs (I think) to the bedroom and those other rooms and that's why I've remembered it.

I haven't played the board versions much because a) I don't have them and b) I'm the only Cluedo fan in my family so single player versions I prefer.
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alwaysPeacock wrote:
Quote:
The Lion in the Triangle is a symbol of safety and quality, backed by a Code of Practice and developed by the British Toy & Hobby Association (BTHA) in 1988. Toys bearing the Lion Mark have been made to the highest standards currently in force in Britain and the European Community (BS 5665/BS EN 71). It is a symbol of toy safety and quality for the consumer.

SOURCE

Even your box was made in Ireland? So, the whole thing... Ugh, see, now I really can't comprehend making the North American game in the same place as the UK game and NOT getting the same suspect tokens in both games.

Also, the back cover of my rules booklet matches yours. I was typing too quickly the other day & implied it was different.

The CLUE game is not made in the same place as the CLUEDO game (so far as I'm aware). The CLUEDO game appears to be made in China -- All of it. Only some of the parts for the CLUE games are made in China -- the rest are made in the US & Ireland.

But yes, I agree, they are already shipping the dice and miniature weapons to Ireland and the US, so why not ship the token/pawns as well? Granted it costs less to throw them right in the box at the factory in China. And they probably take more care to ship, but we're talking pennies.

But here's something interesting. I was looking at the backs of the Cluedo and Clue boards I have, and discovered there are some embossed numbers. Totally different numbering system than yours, which must be a US system based on the previous TCMG edition made in the USA which I posted above.

CLUE

CLUEDO
alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Clue board does not have any number/letter code on the reverse side. Maybe that's the equivalent of the stamp mine has outside the Lounge, but in a different spot depending on where it was made.

If I can pick up this "Made in Ireland" version during a sale/with a coupon, I might just get it to see if there's any discernable quality differences between that one and the "Made in USA" version I already have.
alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't buy it, but I did take a look at the Clue boxes at my Target store yesterday. Every copy they currently have in stock (6) was made in Ireland. I wonder what happened that made Hasbro move production from the US to Ireland after only a few months on shelves. :/
JepMZ
Suspect

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic pictures, Death

I want to ask if you have any pictures of the back of the figurines?

For transparency's sake, it's for a certain simulator purposes or maybe draw over them or something. I'll probably end up buying that clue Jr game for my own physical sets of figures. They are actually pretty neat, except the odd eyes thing
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JepMZ wrote:
Fantastic pictures, Death

I want to ask if you have any pictures of the back of the figurines?

For transparency's sake, it's for a certain simulator purposes or maybe draw over them or something. I'll probably end up buying that clue Jr game for my own physical sets of figures. They are actually pretty neat, except the odd eyes thing

You mean reverse pics of the Junior figurines or the Cluedo figurines? I have taken pictures from various angles of some of the Cluedo figurines, but haven't made the time to it the way I wanted to. I may line them up this weekend again and do a quick shot from the rear, as the Junior tokens in particular have some amazing detail on the backside.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TheArtofMurder.com Clue / Cluedo Discussion - Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: