logo
Homepage Forums Clue Games Cluedo Games Stage & Screen Gaming Puzzle Series In Print Miscellaneous Links & Information
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Murder by Death & Clue Movie Similarities

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TheArtofMurder.com Clue / Cluedo Discussion - Forum Index -> Miscellaneous
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:05 pm    Post subject: Murder by Death & Clue Movie Similarities Reply with quote

I just watched Murder By Death on TV for the first time in years, and was struck by how similar the general story and structure was to Clue.

They match each other almost exactly --

Opening establishing the house and staff, butler and maid/cook.
Guests drive through foggy countryside to remote gothic mansion.
Approaching storm, and rain throughout.
Guests arrive one by one, and assemble and served drinks.
Guests invited to dining room.
Host arrives.
Guests told why they have been invited.
Host suggests a murder will be committed.
They split up in groups.
Someone in the kitchen is murdered first.
A group gets locked into a room and the butler has the key in his pocket.
They discover the house has secret rooms/passages.
The host is murdered.
The maid/cook is discovered dismembered/murdered.
All retire to the drawing room, where they divulge their secrets and motives for killing the host.
They all retire to their rooms in pairs (similar to splitting up and searching the house in clue)
All guests are attempted to be murdered, each by a different weapon (the motorist, cop, and singing telegram girl are murdered in clue)
All then return to the drawing room and solve the murder with 6 different endings, each one being a twist on the butler did it.

And last but not least, Eileen Brennan is in it!

Frankly, I did not remember how similar they are. Makes you wonder how big an influence it was on Clue.

I don't think it undermines either film, but it's very interesting. I know they're both inspired by the same genre, tropes and cliches, but they're just so similar.

Funny thing is, I would have loved if they'd been invited to stay the night in Clue, and all had been given bedrooms too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TheArtofMurder.com Clue / Cluedo Discussion - Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: