Another Cluedo .. pre 2008... 1992 French?

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Aaron21
Spy

Another Cluedo .. pre 2008... 1992 French?

Post by Aaron21 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:04 am

So I bought yet another Cluedo on ebay ( Us source) that is pre 2008 its a 1991 French? Im not sure but it looks to be in French.. board looks to be based on the 1986 US Clue with a different set of characters & different character pawns! I hope I will be able to translate this if played! But overall a neat one!

[/img] Image

Image[/img]
But it is dark upstairs and I am frightened of the dark. Will anyone go with me?

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:51 am

Are those the pawns from Super Cluedo Challenge?

cluedoking123
Senior Detective
Location: Behind you with the candlestick...don't turn around

Post by cluedoking123 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:34 am

I've been trying to get my hands on that for a while now.
IT'S ALL TOO SHOCKING!

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:33 pm

Yes, this is the one I bought specifically because the cards match the characters on the box. The playing tokens are indeed from Super Cluedo, as busts of the characters. Some of my favorite. These turn up in various European editions from this era. However, in may European editions that use this box art, the cards are still the "psychotic" ones from that particular box set, so beware.

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:18 pm

I love this one! Isn't the Mrs. Peacock pawn identical to Miss Peach from Super Cluedo Challenge only blue like in here:

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:41 am

Green seems to have more hair as well.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:15 pm

Yes, Green appears to be the Slate-Grey token, and Blue is the Preach token.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:22 pm

Murder by Death wrote:Yes, Green appears to be the Slate-Grey token, and Blue is the Preach token.
Not it's not, on closer inspection. It appears to be a unique mold, possibly borrowed over from another game.

This is what Slate-Grey looks like.

Perhaps the bigger mystery is why they wouldn't go through greater effort to find molds that better matched the cards?

JoffW
Suspect

Post by JoffW » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:25 pm

Could someone please tell me what French (?) version this is? Pictures would be most helpful. Thanks.

Edit: I'd love the green character bust that does not match the SCC green bust for an additional character (painted).

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:13 am

JoffW wrote:Could someone please tell me what French (?) version this is? Pictures would be most helpful. Thanks.

Edit: I'd love the green character bust that does not match the SCC green bust for an additional character (painted).
Sorry, which one? There's multiple pictures here ...

Also, these busts were sold in other editions as well. Mine came in a Spanish edition for instance. I also have them in a Swiss edition I believe ...

JoffW
Suspect

Post by JoffW » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:15 am

The busts that cacums has pictured - the green bust appears not to be the slate-grey bust from SCC. I really like the SCC busts and have two sets of them, but additional characters would be fantastic for a custom set.

I already have a set of custom cards for my games

But would love to have busts of other characters. Perhaps a project for a talented artist and a 3d laser printer?

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:29 pm

JoffW wrote:The busts that cacums has pictured - the green bust appears not to be the slate-grey bust from SCC. I really like the SCC busts and have two sets of them, but additional characters would be fantastic for a custom set.

I already have a set of custom cards for my games

But would love to have busts of other characters. Perhaps a project for a talented artist and a 3d laser printer?
You're looking for the 1995/96 European editions ... The French version has a very ordinary looking collection of suspects, the Spanish has very dramatic looking suspects. There are also various other versions using one or the other box cover art. See pictures of my editions at the link below.

http://www.theartofmurder.com/forums/vi ... php?t=4112

I believe the German, Denmark and the Netherlands from this period likewise use this same design and tokens...

http://www.theartofmurder.com/table/clu ... rmany.html

As for your custom game ... What board do you use? The one depicted is the basic board which doesn't really work for all those extra rooms and characters ...

JoffW
Suspect

Post by JoffW » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:37 am

I haven't built the board just yet, but the rooms in my card set work perfectly well with the old board. - there's 10 rooms. Eventually, I'll have some cards reprinted to work with a Master Detective board. I'm a fan of the pawn character cards (as you can see); some of the cards need a little work ( some of the characters and the rope).

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:16 am

JoffW wrote:I haven't built the board just yet, but the rooms in my card set work perfectly well with the old board. - there's 10 rooms. Eventually, I'll have some cards reprinted to work with a Master Detective board. I'm a fan of the pawn character cards (as you can see); some of the cards need a little work ( some of the characters and the rope).
Ah yes I see now. You've only added the cellar card, I'd assumed you'd added multiple extra rooms, along with the extra characters and weapons.

But how do you play with all of those characters, or do you just select 6? And if more than 6, where do you start them all? In the center/cellar?

JoffW
Suspect

Post by JoffW » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:11 am

I use 9 characters ( the Super Cluedo Challenge characters). The four characters at the top of the image and Doctor Black are not used. I also use 9 weapons (again the SCC weapons). Normal base Cluedo rules apply.

JoffW
Suspect

Post by JoffW » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:28 am

Players can select any one of the standard six as their playing piece (so start on the usual spaces), any others are randomly assigned to rooms. Eventually, I want to bring together the best of the variants and other rules, into one ruleset to cover a Master Detective style game.

JoffW
Suspect

Post by JoffW » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:41 am

The other thing I''d like to test is dealing a smaller hand of cards for the ''Butler'', along with any ''leftover'' cards (all players start with an equal number of cards). This is like a ''dummy'' hand, where you might have a chance to visit the butler if you''re on a ''snoop'' space (Master Detective board), or low roll, or some other mechanism. So you need to know what evidence the butler holds as well as the other players before you can safely make an accusation.