Clue: The Guilty Party

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

PeachFreak
Highbinder

Clue: The Guilty Party

Post by PeachFreak » Sat Aug 13, 2011 5:57 pm

Welcome to Boddy Mansion. This mystery game is an adapted version of The Guilty Party for the Wii. It supports four players, so if you wish to play, create a sleuth and sign up below.

Premise:

It is August 1, 1965, and much to his despair, Mr. John Boddy is turning 50. To make matters worse, Mrs. White, his devoted housekeeper, has taken the liberty of planning a fabulous birthday party. However, it seems that she only invited folks who want Mr. Boddy dead. It's absolutely no surprise when the man ends up murdered that very night, bludgeoned to death with a candlestick in the hall. But who is the guilty party? That is for one of four detectives to find out!

Overview and Rules:

There are sixteen suspects, each of whom has a legitimate reason to want Mr. Boddy dead. The only way to solve this case is to narrow it down to just one of them.

The Suspects and the Culprit

Each suspect is physically unique and identified by his or her gender, hair length, body shape, and height. For instance, Miss Scarlet is the only thin, tall female with long hair.

These unique physical characteristics are what you will use to find the guilty party. If you know that a tall, thin, long-haired woman must have murdered Mr. Boddy, the accusatory finger will point directly at the lady in red.

The Game

The game is divided into turns. The idea is to go about the mansion collecting clues and testimony to narrow down the suspects until the guilty party is found.

On Your Turn

Each turn, you are given three action coins. These will be used to solve the case.

1. Draw a card: Each sleuth begins the game with one card and draws one on the beginning of each turn. They will help you do things like unlock doors, avoid traps, and summon suspects to the room you are in. Some will even help you hinder others' efforts. You may play cards at any time during your turn.

2. Movement: You may move anywhere in the mansion. Each move costs one coin, regardless of how far you travel.

3. Interrogation: If you end up in a room with a suspect, you may question them for one coin. I will PM you the information they give you and whether or not this information is true. Once you question a suspect, it may be some time before they have something new to tell you. Each suspect will tell each detective the same thing. (More or less, mind you.)

Each suspect has one specific clue that they will give the first time they are questioned. Any further clues will be 'unlocked' after completing requirements. For example, you question Mrs. White one time and she gives you her original clue. Later, Col. Mustard tells you that Mrs. White may know more than she is letting on. Only those who have obtained this testimony from Col. Mustard can receive the next clue from Mrs. White.

You will always know when a suspect has new information for you.

4. Investigation: Physical clues are available all over the mansion. It costs one coin to investigate them. Some clues will only become available after certain testimony. For example, Mrs. Peacock tells Detective One that she saw something odd in the ballroom. The clue in the ballroom can only be investigated by detectives who have received this bit of testimony.

5. Sleuthing: When you enter a room, you may search it for free if you choose. You will either find a card, a coin, a secret passage, or nothing. Secret passages, once discovered, can be used freely by anyone. Moving through a secret passage does not cost a token and allows free movement between rooms.

6. Ending Your Turn: Your turn ends automatically when you run out of coins. Though, you may choose to end it early and bank your leftover coins for next turn. (You may only carry six at a time.) You may also play a card at the end of your turn to have its effects carry over into your opponents' turns.

For example: Suspects will constantly be moving about during and in between turns (Guilty people tend to flee from you, so keep an eye out for this.) If you play the 'Follow Suspect' card on Col. Mustard at the end of your turn, you will follow his every move until your next turn. This is good for sticking with people you need to question.

A Killer on the Loose

The murderer is always lurking about the house. Every two turns, he or she may, should the mood suit them, do something to hinder your progress. This may include robbing a random player of their cards or tokens. They may also turn off the lights in a room, hiding any suspects or clues within it and forcing you to use two tokens to pass through it.

Or they may lock doors and prohibit your movement. Or they may anger suspects with vicious lies, prompting them to knock you out if you try to question them. ( A knocked out player misses his turn.)

Worst case-scenario, however, they cut the power completely, plunging the house into darkness.

Winning

To win, you must approach the guilty party and accuse him or her. Bear in mind, if the killer suspects you are onto them, they will flee and force you to waste tokens pursuing them. An accusation costs no coins, but you have only two. If you fail at both, you will be kicked out of the mansion for your incompetence.

To narrow down the suspects, you must find enough clues to rule all the innocents out. (I will let you know if there are no clues left to be found, but you need not collect them all to win.)

Proving Your Case:

To win, you must prove your case. The following example shows you how to do this:

Detective One approaches Miss Scarlet and accuses her. Indignant, she demands proof. All the suspects gather to watch the showdown.

Miss Scarlet asks: "How do you know the guilty party isn't Professor Plum?"

Detective One must then present a clue showing that it could not have been Professor Plum. For instance, he presents a clue proving the murderer was tall. All short suspects are now ruled out.

Miss Scarlet, however, insists: "Well, it could have been Miss Peach!"

Detective One must then present a clue showing that it could not have been Miss Peach. For instance, he presents a clue proving the murderer has long hair. All suspects with short hair are ruled out.

This continues until Miss Scarlet is the only remaining suspect. Detective One has then solved the case!

Bear in mind, you have only two accusations. You will fail a showdown if you present improper proof three times. (Or if you realize that you are accusing an innocent or that you cannot eliminate everyone from suspicion just yet.)

The only clues viable in a showdown are those which refer to a suspect’s appearance. For instance, Mrs. White may tell you that she’s certain the murderer’s profession requires a uniform. This clue may point you toward Col. Mustard, but it is not viable proof in a showdown. (You cannot use it to eliminate everyone who does not wear a uniform.)

Likewise, a suspect may give you a truthful alibi. However, you cannot use it to prove his or her innocence. You must rule out suspects by appearance only.

Thus, this applies for all clues which do not refer to the culprit’s gender, hair length, body shape, or height.

Red Herrings

Some clues may appear to tell you something but turn out to be worthless. For instance, you may find Mr. Boddy's parrot saying: "Take a hike, buzzcut."

It may seem the murderer has short hair. However, later, you question Miss Peach and she tells you: "I couldn't have killed Mr. Boddy. I was playing with his parrot at the time. He kept insulting me! I do not have a buzzcut!"

I will tell you that she is being truthful. Clearly, because Miss Peach has short hair, the parrot was talking about her and not the culprit. (This does not automatically prove the culprit has long hair, but the parrot's squawking turned out to prove nothing.)

Those are the rules. Questions, comments, concerns? As I said, the game supports four, so if you wish to play, create a detective and sign up below.
"Like my daddy always says, give me a good neuromuscular poison any day."

PeachFreak
Highbinder

Post by PeachFreak » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:20 pm

EDIT
Last edited by PeachFreak on Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:57 am, edited 4 times in total.

munitzer
Can Opener

Post by munitzer » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:54 pm

Very intrigued, Dr. Prussian would like to throw his hat in the ring.
Last edited by munitzer on Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It is my opinion that your detective stories are the normal recreation of snobbish, out-dated, life-hating, ignoble minds."

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:23 am

Would that hat be a dearstalker Doctor?

Mr. Gary Baldi offers his unique skills to the case.

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:10 am

Time to raise Judge Basil Mauve from the ashes and see if he can be put to work.

Zoo977
Master Detective

Post by Zoo977 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:17 am

Despite the fact her shy demeanor made her sit quietly in the lounge most of the evening, Iris decides to stand up and find who did this. Mostly because she doesn't want to die either, but meh.

PeachFreak
Highbinder

Post by PeachFreak » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:34 pm

The suspect post now pictures the four sleuths. I am putting together the case right now, and we will begin as soon as possible.

PeachFreak
Highbinder

Post by PeachFreak » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:38 pm

EDIT
Last edited by PeachFreak on Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PeachFreak
Highbinder

Post by PeachFreak » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:47 pm

Let us begin. The four innocents have gathered in the hall. Physical clues are represented by question marks. Will the killer be caught? First on the scene is Dr. Prussian

Dr. Prussian, it is your turn. You are currently in the hall. You have three tokens.

You may:

Move to a room of your choice (1 Token)
Use a Card (0 Tokens)
Search the Hall (0 Tokens)
End your turn and bank your remaining tokens
Last edited by PeachFreak on Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

munitzer
Can Opener

Post by munitzer » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:01 pm

Dr. Prussian opts to veture to the balcony.
"It is my opinion that your detective stories are the normal recreation of snobbish, out-dated, life-hating, ignoble minds."

PeachFreak
Highbinder

Post by PeachFreak » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:05 pm

Dr. Prussian bids his fellow detectives good luck and farewell and heads upstairs to the balcony for some fresh air. Upon arrival, he sees Mr. Green standing over the ledge and peering into the distance.

"Looks like rain," the man says. "Suits the night, eh, Doctor?"

Dr. Prussian, it is your turn. You are currently in the balcony. You have two tokens.

You may:

Interrogate Mr. Green (1 Token)
Accuse Mr. Green (0 Tokens)
Use a Card (0 Tokens)
Search the Balcony (0 Tokens)

munitzer
Can Opener

Post by munitzer » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:32 pm

"Unfortunately, yes," Dr. Prussian replied as he filled his pipe. He inhaled, exhaled, and turned to Mr. Green.

Dr. Prussian opts to interrogate Mr. Green.

PeachFreak
Highbinder

Post by PeachFreak » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:23 pm

Dr. Prussian questions the man in green and collects a bit of testimony, his first clue.

However, it looks like Mr. Green has nothing else to say for the time being. Perhaps try back later.

Dr. Prussian, it is your turn. You are currently in the balcony. You have one token.

You may:

Accuse Mr. Green (0 Tokens)
Use a Card (0 Tokens)
Search the Balcony (0 Tokens)

munitzer
Can Opener

Post by munitzer » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:32 am

Dr. Prussian opts to move to the upper landing and then end his turn.

PeachFreak
Highbinder

Post by PeachFreak » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:38 am

Would you like to play any cards at the end of your turn? I forgot to mention that everyone should specify this when ending.

munitzer
Can Opener

Post by munitzer » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:22 am

"Nein," Dr. Prussian replied, drumming his fingers on the railing as he appraised the other detectives below.

PeachFreak
Highbinder

Post by PeachFreak » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:30 am

Judge Mauve is second on the scene. How will the old man fare in serving justice one more time?

Judge Mauve, it is your turn. You are currently in the hall. You have three tokens.

You may:

Move to a room of your choice (1 token)
Use a Card (0 tokens)
Search the Hall (0 tokens)

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:43 pm

Judge Mauve remembers he needs to get that filthy stain off his shirt and travels to the Laundry Room.

PeachFreak
Highbinder

Post by PeachFreak » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:14 pm

With the single intent to strip down to his undies and give his clothes a good washing, Judge Mauve ventures to the cellar. However, upon entering the laundry room, he sees Mrs. Black frantically scribbling in a notepad.

"Basil, darling, you startled me!" she cries, before attempting to explain herself. "This whole thing will make an excellent story, you know. I simply have to make sure I keep a good record of everything that happens."

Judge Mauve, it is your turn. You are currently in the laundry room. You have two tokens.

You may:

Move to a room of your choice (1 token)
Interrogate Mrs. Black (1 token)
Accuse Mrs. Black (0 tokens)
Use a Card (0 tokens)
Search the Laundry Room (0 tokens)

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:24 pm

Interrogate Mrs. Black.