logo
Homepage Forums Clue Games Cluedo Games Stage & Screen Gaming Puzzle Series In Print Miscellaneous Links & Information
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Favorite Patent Weapon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TheArtofMurder.com Clue / Cluedo Discussion - Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What's Your Favorite Patent Token?
The Bludgeon/Shillelagh
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
The Bomb
23%
 23%  [ 3 ]
Thy Syringe
46%
 46%  [ 6 ]
The Poker
30%
 30%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 13

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:14 am    Post subject: Favorite Patent Weapon Reply with quote

Finally after exhausting all the "official" tokens with the last horseshoe and the rest poll ( http://www.theartofmurder.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4221 ), we're down to the tokens that never were.

Since these tokens only exist in Anthony Pratt's patent application, and have never been manufactured for any game, the choice here would be which of the remaining unused patent tokens would you like to see included in a future game version?

Imagine, it's 2014 – the 65th anniversary of Cluedo – Hasbro has seen the error of its ways, DTS is a flop, and the series on the HUB has been cancelled. To re-launch the classic Cluedo game, a deluxe 65th Anniversary edition has been designed, returning crusty old Colonel Mustard to his rightful place, along with the rest of the usual suspects. To celebrate Cluedo's beginnings, it includes a brand new 7th weapon, first submitted by Pratt himself in his patent application in 1944, and never before used in a Cluedo game (to distinguish the 65th Anniversary game from the 50th Anniversary game which came with the poison).

So which of the Patent weapons should next be created for a new edition?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cluedofile/5623199341/

Take the FX & Mystery at Sea weapons poll! http://www.theartofmurder.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=115677

Last edited by Murder by Death on Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
cacums
Ringer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syringe. I don't know why.... it's so tiny yet deadly.
Master Detective

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The syringe. As I see it, you could stab, poison, or (if skilled enough) behead someone with it (shove it in their neck, tear it all the way around).
cacums
Ringer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zoo977 wrote:
(if skilled enough) behead someone with it (shove it in their neck, tear it all the way around).

I'm fairly certain the needle would break in the first drag.
Master Detective

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cacums wrote:
Zoo977 wrote:
(if skilled enough) behead someone with it (shove it in their neck, tear it all the way around).

I'm fairly certain the needle would break in the first drag.

Hence the 'if skilled enough'. Plus, some have really strong needles.
go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wouldn't work. It takes a tremendous amount of force, and it's hard to chop someone's head off with a knife as it is. Trust me, I've come across plenty of beheading in my reading... Wink

The bomb is too messy, impractical, and far-fetched for me. I'd prefer either the poker or the shillelagh. Which, I'm not quite sure- both make lovely bludgeoning weapons, though a poker is more traditional...
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm forced to agree, the syringe can only really be used to inject something stealthily, like in Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None ... It can't really be used to stab either since the length and gauge of a needle couldn't really do any leathal damage even if jabbed in the eye. Perhaps that's why it has been avoided, since the poison accomplishes a similar death in a much more obvious way, while the syringe requires great stealth and precision to administer a lethal injection.

I chose the bomb, specifically for how ridiculous it is. For all the weapons introduced over 60 years, and given the tongue-in-cheek nature of the game, they have all been rather serious, practical, and conservative. For that reason, I thought it was time to introduce something silly into the game. Surely this is why Pratt conceived of it in the first place. It's also completely different from any other weapon in the game. Plus, I think a bomb token would be fun to play with, and spark a lot of conversation.

If I were being completely realistic, and keeping with my ideals of Clue/do, then I would have to choose the fireplace-poker. But in a standard game, that's 4 bludgeoning weapons out of 7, and that's kind of boring. So perhaps that would be a good one to replace the lead piping and add something more interesting like the syringe - then again the connection with narcotics might not sit well with parents.

Now if I were re-issuing Master Detective, I'd definitely pick the shillalah over the horseshoe for the vacation home setting.

Last edited by Murder by Death on Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zoo977 wrote:
The syringe. As I see it, you could stab, poison, or (if skilled enough) behead someone with it (shove it in their neck, tear it all the way around).

Haha! Maybe in a cartoon...
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an interesting weapons expansion pack:

https://www.stlfinder.com/model/cluedo-original-weapons-expansion-pack/4311539

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go with the poker. The bomb just isn't a practical option for a country house, and the shil-whatsit is just another bludgeoning option. The poker could easily be a bludgeoning tool, or with enough force & a sharpened tip, could impale the victim. The syringe just seems like a delivery option for poison, and a tricky one at that.

As for why Pratt thought of a bomb in the first place: it was war time. I doubt he was the only Englishman with bombs on the mind in the '40s.

Granted, its presence would be no less ludicrous than the whole premise of the game, and were it to actually show up in a new traditional (meaning not a themed/licensed) game, I wouldn't question its inclusion. But much like my thoughts on Hasbro never taking a vote for a new weapon, I think the world has become too uptight to embrace a bomb in a family game. Imagine the backlash it would get just from the American market (we don't even have the revolver depicted on the box art, which I'm sure was intentional and not just a casualty of cropping the art for the smaller box).
alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re that expansion set of weapons: I have a friend with a 3D printer. I'll have to see if he'd be willing to print a set of these for me, because they do look pretty good. The hardest part of incorporating them would be designing & printing corresponding cards to blend in with a chosen Clue/Cluedo deck.
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've debated the ridiculousness of the central conceit for years. Obviously there would be no confusion over HOW Mr. Boddy was murdered with the current list of implements -- well at least 3 of them for sure. It's also been suggested before that with the exception of the rope, all could make effective bludgeoning instruments, which is one of the reasons why I'm in favor of losing the rope as well (though it's one of the most recognizable of the trademarked weapons). The poker fits perfectly in place of the lead pipe, and is something most people are far more familiar with -- and somehow to me much more lethal and scary than a random pipe with little other use. Given the original Cluedo set-up instructions, the lead pipe probably has more to do with the desire to have weapons correspond to rooms they could be realistically placed into.

However, I think we all need to remember that based on descriptions of the original pre-cursor "live action" role-play game they played called "Murder", that there's a good deal of farce and over-the-top parody in this game as well. So much so, that it ultimately doesn't matter what the weapon is. So, as you observe, a bomb is just as valid in the question of what weapon was used to kill Mr. Boddy by a group of amateur sleuths as understanding the difference between a gunshot wound, stabbing, bludgeoning, or strangulation. The syringe is right out of AND THEN THERE WERE NONE. So we've already seen that used in a "real" plausible way.

Ultimately I agree a Bomb is not going to go over well, and neither is any kind of gun in any US contest. So as long as Hasbro doesn't do a contest that opens the choice up to all of the weapons, and just a selection of new Bludgeoning, and/or maybe even stabbing items merely to replace the rope, lead pipe, and wrench, then it's probably doable. Of course right now, in light of recent events in the US, and contest that in any way even appeared to promote violence would likely be condemned and boycotts would ensue.

As for the expansion weapon/card set problem -- that's where eBay comes into it, if however limiting. It's relatively easy to pick up a spare set of cards for most of the common editions, with which to create expansion sets. Then again, to ensure cards are uniform, once could use any deck of Clue cards, and print stickers for the card faces, even if they are duplicates of the artwork on the card. That way they all have stickers in the event someone can perceive the difference. I've got high quality scans of all of my cards for just that reason -- though I've so far not done anything about it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TheArtofMurder.com Clue / Cluedo Discussion - Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: