logo
Homepage Forums Clue Games Cluedo Games Stage & Screen Gaming Puzzle Series In Print Miscellaneous Links & Information
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wanted: Any One Master Detective Card
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TheArtofMurder.com Clue / Cluedo Discussion - Forum Index -> Buy / Sell / Trade
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marcus132
Suspect

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:11 am    Post subject: Wanted: Any One Master Detective Card Reply with quote

Hi everybody. This is my first post here, so I'm sorry if I mess it up.

I am having a Clue Master Detective party and I'm assigning each guest a character in advance so they can come in costume.

The problem is, I've invited 11 guests and there are only 10 suspects. D'oh!

Does anybody have one extra Master Detective card that I can buy so that I can make a suspect card for my last guest?

Ideally it would be one of the male suspects (so I can just color his suit in with a Sharpie and make a makeshift "Dr. Black" card -- hey, he's never had a chance to play!) but any card will work in a pinch.

Thanks!
Frostbyte
Slueth

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's going to be tough to find, a single card. I suppose there's a chance someone here has an old copy that got parted out, but odds are your only option is to buy a copy on eBay.

If you are one of the 11 people, you might have to take one for the team and dress up as a non-player host/butler.

Hope it works out for ya, sounds like fun!
Bindle Stiff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 11th could be a detective, trying to solve the murder. Though I guess that's what the other suspects is for.
marcus132
Suspect

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if there's a way to alter the rules so that one more suspect could be added without having a suspect card.

As I see it, the only down side to being a player without a card is that nobody would ever call you into a room (seeing as how you can't possibly be the murderer), so you'd have to trudge through the halls to every single room you wanted to investigate. Can you think of another effect not having a card would have on a player's gameplay?

What if the 11th suspect (Dr. Black) had the option to, instead of rolling, move to the room where the last suspect was called (in a game with 10 players, pretty much every turn will result in suspects being moved around)? I wonder if that would be fair, or if that would cause an unfair advantage for that player. Any thoughts?

Or, what if it was more convoluted? I have a set of 1972 cards. What if Dr. Black had the option of randomly drawing a suspect (of the original gang, obviously) and then had to move to the room of whomever he drew? Is that more fair, or just more crazy?

I'm interested to hear your thoughts. Very Happy
marcus132
Suspect

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcus132 wrote:
I wonder if there's a way to alter the rules so that one more suspect could be added without having a suspect card. Very Happy

Actually, in the time I was waiting for this post to go through the approval process, I came up with a less insane way to add another player.

The problem with making new cards is that they won't match the rest of the deck, so it will be obvious who has them and what they are.

The solution to this problem is to remake ALL the cards. I'll just scan in the existing cards and reprint them with my additional cards.

I'm currently working on a "Master Detective Expansion Pack" that will include Dr. Black, the axe from "Discover the Secrets" and a chainsaw (why not?).

I also made a new detective notebook that includes the new cards, and puts everything in alphabetical order (my pet peeve with the existing Master Detective sheets).

When I get the whole thing done I'll post it to share with everybody. Smile
Michael
Mastermind

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea! I can't wait to see it!
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcus132 wrote:
I'm currently working on a "Master Detective Expansion Pack" that will include Dr. Black, the axe from "Discover the Secrets" and a chainsaw (why not?).

Ahhhhhhhhh! Sacrilege!! Don't do it!! You cant mix DTS with Classic Clue!! Besides DTS doesn't show an Axe, it shows a cheap zinc playing token shaped like an axe.

With a perfectly good axe available in Cluedo Super Challenege & Super Cluedo, why in God's name would you use the Axe from Discover the Secrets? If you don't have that card, I will be happy to send you a scan to save you from yourself. Wink

And where are you gonna get the chainsaw? While the idea is just fine, make sure the artwork matches the other cards (one of my chief complaints with the DTS cards).

marcus132 wrote:
I also made a new detective notebook that includes the new cards, and puts everything in alphabetical order (my pet peeve with the existing Master Detective sheets).

None of the Clue/do games' Detective Notes are in alphabetical order. Not sure why it's a pet peeve with just MD.

Wich come to think of it, it is kind of odd that they are not in any particular order ... And kind of sexist that the men are always listed first - shouldn't they be in start order if not alpha?
marcus132
Suspect

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Murder by Death wrote:
With a perfectly good axe available in Cluedo Super Challenege & Super Cluedo, why in God's name would you use the Axe from Discover the Secrets?

Don't worry. I just meant I'm using the axe token from Discover the Secrets. I'm designing these cards to match the style of Master Detective.

Murder by Death wrote:
And where are you gonna get the chainsaw?

A few years at Comic-Con they were giving away "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" keychains that make a reasonable match for a Clue token. I've got one of those.

After I post my cards, if anyone else wants to use them, a search of "chainsaw charm" on eBay yields a lot of useful results for a chainsaw token.

Murder by Death wrote:

None of the Clue/do games' Detective Notes are in alphabetical order. Not sure why it's a pet peeve with just MD.

I just mentioned it because that's the game I was working on. Smile
marcus132
Suspect

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still working on them, but here's a sneak preview of the cards.

Black
Bindle Stiff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A chainsaw is a little but too grosome for cluedo, not mention loud.

But still, not to bad.
CluedoKid
Con Artiste

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Black looks like a pimp.
Suspect

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black wrote:
A chainsaw is a little but too grosome for cluedo, not mention loud.

You're not wrong. It doesn't quite fit in with the other weapons, either in style or in time appropriateness.

But, to be the devil's advocate, it's only a shade more gruesome than using an axe and about as noisy as a revolver, both of which are canon Clue weapons.

Also, I just like chainsaws. Wink
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Black doesn't look like a pimp at all. He looks like a 40s detective, and there's precedent for this representation - look no further than Clue The Movie and the portrayal of Mr. Boddy as a kind of bad boy thug with an unshaven look, dressed somewhat similarly. And we never saw him enter, so he may well have been wearing a hat just like this. I know Colonel Mustard was wearing one quite similar.

As for the chainsaw, it's your game so do what you want. But unlike a revolver which only makes one loud bang, which can be masked by thunder, a champagne cork popping, etc., not only does a chainsaw take a while to start, and make a ton of noise in the process, once operating it makes even more noise. And the time it would take to actually murder someone would go on for several seconds as well, all the while they were screaming bloody murder. There's no way to sneak up on your victim either, so my guess is they would be screaming at the top of their lungs from the moment you produced and began starting it up, running away from you and probably throwing everything that wasnt nailed down at you - all making considerable noise.

I don't think it's too gory for Clue/do, just impractical - then again that's dependent entirely on the setting.
Michael
Mastermind

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the Black card. It's perfect. And I like the idea of a chainsaw because it mixes the feel up. Mrs. Peacock killing someone with the poison is one thing. Mrs. Peacock killing someone with a chainsaw brings her character to a whole other level of crazy that sort of rips us out of the whole civilized country house mystery and into something else entirely!
marcus132
Suspect

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Murder by Death wrote:
I don't think it's too gory for Clue/do, just impractical - then again that's dependent entirely on the setting.

I don't disagree with any of you. It's a ridiculous weapon for Clue. But that's kind of what tickles me about it.

When I post the art for the cards I'll include the layered Photoshop file, so you guys can easily replace the chainsaw with whatever you like. Smile
Frostbyte
Slueth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those cards look great, good job!

I really like this image from his Suspect card in the Mystery at Sea card game.

Yeggman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Frostbyte, that must be a first. I think we all thought that card was... well... terrible.
Slueth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the more I think about it, I'm just happy to see him period. He's been a faceless character for so long.
Court Stenographer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:42 pm    Post subject: Hmm... Reply with quote

The only concern I have is that you can't see his face. Sort of defeats the purpose of the portrait part of the cards, I'd say.

I'm not thrilled with the chainsaw, though I admit a rabid, chainsaw wielding old lady does give one a certain morbid glee.

Still, I think the Blunderbuss might have been a more apt choice.

Finally, did you consider expanding the rooms as well by employing the Cloak Room?

But that all said: it is very good work, and I applaud your industry and sense of taste. You found a most appropriate solution, on very little notice, it seems to me, and did a simply bang-up job on matching the overall style of the original cards. Nicely done!
marcus132
Suspect

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Hmm... Reply with quote

Lord Caspen wrote:
The only concern I have is that you can't see his face. Sort of defeats the purpose of the portrait part of the cards, I'd say.

I'm not thrilled with the chainsaw, though I admit a rabid, chainsaw wielding old lady does give one a certain morbid glee.

Still, I think the Blunderbuss might have been a more apt choice.

I posted the finished cards here, including a template so you can make your own cards with whatever art you like:

http://theartofmurder.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=114110#114110

Lord Caspen wrote:
Finally, did you consider expanding the rooms as well by employing the Cloak Room?

I did briefly consider it, but I ended up not doing it. If I were to add more cards, that might be one I'd do. Again, if you like, you can easily add it using the template. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TheArtofMurder.com Clue / Cluedo Discussion - Forum Index -> Buy / Sell / Trade All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: