Clue Movie Soundtrack Released!

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:28 pm

I too just ordered. I'm disappointed that the autographed copies are no longer available. I wonder WHEN they were and how many there were. Maybe they'll show up on eBay.
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:17 pm

Is there one for the TV series?

TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

Post by TheWhitePawn » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:28 pm

Murder by Death wrote:Fantastic! I just ordered mine. It's expensive for sure, but such a limited run, only 3,000 copies.
Psh. I own a soundtrack that only had 500 copies. It took me about 9 years to track down. And now it's available on almost every torrent site... go figure :P

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:01 pm

Michael wrote:I too just ordered. I'm disappointed that the autographed copies are no longer available. I wonder WHEN they were and how many there were.
Odd. I looked at the site literally at noon (3PM Eastern), because they release new albums on Tuesdays. But nothing was posted yet. So sometime between noon and 3:52, it was posted. By the time i ordered it at 5:45, there were no more autographed copies. So however many there were, they sold out in less than 6 hours.

There was a lot of pent up demand for Clue, but boy am I surprised at how quickly it sold. Much more so than Haunted Honeymoon, which they are practically giving away.

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:00 am

Aw, geez. This really sounds great- I'm a huge fan of the movie's score. Unfortunately, thanks to the wonders of the Internet, the only way I could buy it is via my parents' credit card, and I got a definite "no" from them.
The two women exchanged the kind of glance women use when no knife is handy.
~Ellery Queen
At the Scene of the Crime

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:46 pm

I listened to the movie last night and I guess I never realized how much music there was. I look forward to hearing it at full volume without the movie sounds interfering.

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:49 pm

I'm insanely jealous of those who ordered. I'm still trying to convince my parents that ait would be $20 well-spent, but it's a no-go so far... [sighs mournfully]
~Ellery Queen

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:48 pm

Just got my CD. I must say that overall, La La Land Records did a great job, justifying the cost.

The album graphics are first rate, the back of the CD is the ensemble publicity photo of the cast standing outside the house. Though not autographed, it is branded "Limited Edition of 3000 Units".

The recording is nice and clean, and sounds great!

The jewel is the booklet. 20 pages! Great commentary from Lynn, and some previously unknown details and history about Morris and the score. Each cue has a detailed description.

Now for my nit-picks.

The inside booklet photos have some stills from the set, one great one with Jonathan Lynn autographing the 1972 Clue board (there's seomthing for you to seek out Michael)! In addition there are the beautiful famous publicity stills of the actors posing with the weapons ... except for two glaring omissions: Mrs. White and Colonel Mustard. in the case of White, they gave us the great Fosse pose against the white background instead. Mustard in the other hand is a completely different matter. The only pictures of Martin Mull in the entire CD are the ensemble photo on the back and the poster artwork on the front. Seems very odd to me.

The booklet and CD are presented matter of factly. Sadly there is nothing clever about it. I mean this is Clue, it screams out for something unusual. Like a hidden bonus track for the fans, something akin to the 3 different endings. There is an odd little Easter egg on the last track, but it has no significance to me. Perhaps others who hear it may be able to enhance this inclusion for me. I suppose anything more substantial like "For She's a Jolly Good Fellow", would have been prohibitively expensive since each member of the cast would have to be paid, and are allowed to negotiate their own price. Likewise for "Shake Rattle & Roll" and "Sh-Boom" license fees. Heck I would have even gone for Mrs. Ho's over-zealous gong smashing call to dinner!

Finally, this is aimed at La La Land directly. My CD arrived packaged in nothing more than a bubble lined envelope mailer. It is a miracle the CD case was not broken. For a predominately mail-order company, and for a $20 CD, had the jewel case arrived damaged I would have been very upset. I cannot tell you how many CDs I have been sent from friends in is fashion, that had the hinges broken, case cracked, or center spindle crushed during shipping. I mean I did spend $4.00 for shipping, but the postage on the envelope was only $2.00, and my address was hand written. Not particularly professional.
Last edited by Murder by Death on Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:58 am, edited 4 times in total.

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:56 pm

Yay. I can't wait to get mine. But I stupidly sent it to my Georgia house instead of my NYC workplace. So now I have to wait until this weekend...

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:12 pm

Congratulations! Sounds like it's great!

The thing you mention with Martin Mull is definitely odd... I'm not sure how to explain that one.
~Ellery Queen

Lord Caspen
Court Stenographer

OMG

Post by Lord Caspen » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:48 pm

I must to have!

Incidentally: I've asked for this before, but I don't remember getting a good answer. Is there someplace one can find those pics where each character was featured with a weapon? I remember it was Mustard with the Wrench in the Kitchen, and I remember seeing all of them, and I thought it was here, but I can't find them now, and that one in particular is hard to track down.

Anyone else know where they're at? It's important to think: rare. The obvious places probably don't have it, unless you know for a fact where these are at.
It's discouraging to think how many people are shocked by honesty and how few by deceit. -- Blithe Spirit, Noel Coward.

Lord Caspen
Court Stenographer

Themes

Post by Lord Caspen » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:38 am

Listening to the "Bonus" track for "Miss Scarlet/Car in Progress" -- which by the way is a spectacular little number, I love the low, jazzy sound to it, very classy in a seedy way -- it got me thinking:

Did they compose different themes for each of the major characters? And if so, I wonder where that might be obtained?
It's discouraging to think how many people are shocked by honesty and how few by deceit. -- Blithe Spirit, Noel Coward.

MrGreenJeans
Slueth

Post by MrGreenJeans » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:42 am

Has anyone ever played the PC game "The 7th Guest"? Listening to this soundtrack, I'm realizing a lot of similarities between the Clue soundtrack and that of the 7th Guest (clearly T7G borrowed from Clue, since Clue came first by many years!).

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Re: Themes

Post by Murder by Death » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:25 pm

Lord Caspen wrote:Listening to the "Bonus" track for "Miss Scarlet/Car in Progress" it got me thinking: Did they compose different themes for each of the major characters? And if so, I wonder where that might be obtained?
You'll note there are several cues named after the characters. I have not analyzed them, but this is likely the closest you will get to themes. This soundtrack represents every cue they were able to find for the film, including alternate takes, mastered from two different sources. If there was more material recorded, it is likely lost to the ages. However, this seems to be a somewhat complete representation of everything mastered from the original recording session. If such themes existed, then they only exist as sketches worked out between Lynn and Morris sitting at the piano together (evidently Lynn and Morris hit it off during the scoring process). In which case, you're not likely ever to see or hear them, if they even still exist.

As for the Miss Scarlet cue, note they indicate it was not used in the film ... Sure enough I put it up against picture and it changes the scene dramatically - its much more sexually charged between Scarlet and Plum. I will definitely be doing a little YouTubing with this ... Note too that there are several other unused cues that should make for some fun what ifs ...

And Mr. GreenJeans, Morris' score is hardly entirely original itself. John Addison's fantastic score for Slueth from 1972 helped establish this comedic orchestral style, and Morris draws heavily upon aspects of it, as well as the more serious Bernard Hermmann Hitchcock scores. But Hearing this score by itself, I have to admit, this is the perfect music for Clue. Whatever else I think about the movie doesn't quite measure up to my image of Clue, this music is perfect for any adaptation of it. It's absolutely classic.
Last edited by Murder by Death on Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Lord Caspen
Court Stenographer

Post by Lord Caspen » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:13 pm

MBD,

Sexually charged, yes. I hadn't thought of that, but I can see it. What I liked was just the sleaze factor. It gave me a whole new slant on all the characters at once. I began to see the whole picture in fact as sort of a cautionary tale of the old dimestore hardboiled pulp novel variety. Really scummy people with only a thin veneer of civility and polish, trapped together, and of of them's a murderer. Something about the movie version sort of obscure the "cheap" angle for me.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:40 pm

Lord Caspen wrote: Something about the movie version sort of obscure the "cheap" angle for me.
Yes, that "something" is the complete omission of the cue. There is no music under Scarlett and Plum meeting in the film, save some ocassional Therimin stabs.

Clearly Lynn backed-away from the undertones he and Morris decided to score, in favor of the more mystery/suspense element. As I said, watching that scene with this score completely changes it ... Possibly in a way that made Lynn uncomfortable, or gave away too much about Scarlet too soon. That's why I suspect there is a more traditional alternate, which you heard, it softens the pure sleezy seduction Morris' original cue invokes, by "jazzing" it up. This was most likely something that was changed on the scoring session immediately after Lynn first saw it against picture.

Lord Caspen
Court Stenographer

Hmmm

Post by Lord Caspen » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:55 pm

Well, admittedly, it may not follow the filming style as closely as the music ultimately chosen, but I also think I would have really liked to have seen the sleazier version. As much as I really like the film we have, I would have liked the sleazier version even better.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:30 pm

Here is the original cue for Miss Scarlet which was cut in the final mix. Completely changes the feel of this scene.

Interestingly, to Lord Caspen's question, the liner notes suggest that this cue was omitted because score was not used to introduce Mrs. Peacock, or Mr. Green, suggesting perhaps that cues were written for their reveals, though it's not clear (and they are certainly not included on the CD indicative of having never been performed if originally conceived). Certainly the only entrance that was specifically scored is Mrs. White. Mustard has some music under his arrival, but nothing I would call a theme. More general suspense. Peacock's entrance would be awkwardly short, and Plum would have no entrance, sharing Scarlet's music. So the concept was kind of DOA. However, most composers have themes and motives they write for the characters within general cues. In this case, though, White seems to be the only one who got special treatment in the film. I'm going out on a limb here, but I suspect this is because Morris had written for her several times before in other films, and this may be why Mrs. White gets special treatment.

And here's the alternate version of the same cue with a more traditional orchestration.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/5436995359/
Last edited by Murder by Death on Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:04 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:12 pm

Here's the original cue for the match cutting scene, which played without music in the film. I love how Morris captures Wadsworth's glance, etc. in the opening bars.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/5437609816/
Last edited by Murder by Death on Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:39 pm

That last video you posted in particular shows what some really good music can do to a scene. I like the scene in the original, but with the music, it's absolutely brilliant! A mistake to cut it out, IMO. Of course, this was Lynn's directorial debut, so it is possible to forgive some of his errors.
~Ellery Queen