Clue Movie Soundtrack Released!

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:12 pm

In addition to the other 3 videos I previously posted on page 2, the last alternate cue on the CD is for the End Title Credits. This cue was to be used in place of the song, and had a "Hooked-On-Clue" vibe to it with a pop drum-machine playing under the orchestration. I love the more lush and florid departure of Mrs. White's theme, from the crisp staccato rhythm about halfway through, which I don't recall used quite this way elsewhere in the film. It's sad we never got to hear this before now. While I agree Shake Rattle & Roll was the right choice, this is really a terrific little version of the Clue theme.

Also, it ends :25 short of the ending, so the credit sequence was extended after this was scored. There is no logical place to shift it that matches picture in any relevant way. Interestingly, the song must have always been considered as a possibility because there is a short version of the end title that comes in about halfway through the credit crawl to the end, which would have been intended to cross-fade with the song as many movies do that have a pop-based song score (or vice-versa).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cluedofile/5523015621/
Last edited by Murder by Death on Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:53 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:44 pm

I like the Scarlet music, but I think it ruins the isolated feeling of the scene.

I really like the drawing lots music, but it needs to be played much much more subtlety.

I'm not sure how I feel about the end music. It's okay.
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:31 pm

The End Theme is too Remix-y for my taste. It seems exactly the sort of thing they'd use if they made a modern remake of Clue.

Shake, Rattle and Roll is much more suitable.

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:45 pm

Yeah, I didn't like it very much. The melody itself is excellent, but the way it's arranged is kind of off-putting.
The two women exchanged the kind of glance women use when no knife is handy.
~Ellery Queen
At the Scene of the Crime

Lord Caspen
Court Stenographer

Wow

Post by Lord Caspen » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:31 am

MBD,

Thanks very, very much for the new overlays. I have to say ... I think I rather prefer the more musically-oriented version. There is something nice about the starkness of the match sequence in the actual movie, but the music just gives us so much more depth!

The sexier, jazzier version of Scarlet's theme is much, much better. Gives us so many new layers of meaning to what's going on, and to who these people are. The match-cutting gives us a little bit of commentary on the action, and even its style is somehow reminiscent of the Scarlet theme. You know, there's just so much more personality in this older music!

On a more general note:

Did anyone else notice the theme called "Cook Chase" ...? What the heck is that for?
It's discouraging to think how many people are shocked by honesty and how few by deceit. -- Blithe Spirit, Noel Coward.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Re: Wow

Post by Murder by Death » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:48 am

Lord Caspen wrote:Did anyone else notice the theme called "Cook Chase" ...? What the heck is that for?
It isn't titled very well depending on how you see that scene. When you hear it, you instantly recognize it. Does this help ...
Plum: Who else is in the house?
Yvette and Wadsworth: Only the cook ...
Everyone: The cook!!
They all make a mad dash for the Kitchen.

Lord Caspen
Court Stenographer

Re: Wow

Post by Lord Caspen » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:15 am

MBD,
Murder by Death wrote: Does this help ...
Plum: Who else is in the house?
Yvette and Wadsworth: Only the cook ...
Everyone: The cook!!
They all make a mad dash for the Kitchen.
Naturally that helps. Okay, well, it is titled a little strangely, yes, but I get it.

I do like that theme.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:27 pm

Here's an alternate main title theme. It's the same up to Lee Ving's credit, where the trumpet is replace with the lush romantic orchestration used for Mrs. White's theme. Then instead of the big climax, it turns noticeably darker, even strange, before resuming the same music, placed slightly later. In some respects I like this better, but I don't care for the placement. Had it coincided with Madeline Kahn's credit (rather than Lee Ving!!) it would have made more sense. In the end, I love the circus atmosphere the trumpet sets up (a la John Addison's Slueth) and is in the end the most appropriate choice. But I do love the Romantic Liszt-like piano flourishes, just wish there had been a better place to use it.

This is the only alternate of note. There are some other more subtle variations, but hard to know exactly what Morris had in mind with them (as all of the alternates are sections of the theme meant to be dropped into the original version).

For those who did not like the "pop" version, and I agree CluedoKid – it's very much what they would do today (of note: James Bond, Mission Impossible), but don't discount the fact it's been around since the 70s when films first started to move away from traditional score to attract "pop" audiences, there is a very strange "pop" version of this same alternate variation that goes all the way up to Wadsworth getting out of the car ... MOST inappropriate. Decided not to put you all through that! ;-)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cluedofile/5523602098/
Last edited by Murder by Death on Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:30 pm

WOW! That was fast! Paramount has already disabled most of the videos on YouTube. Well that's what you get for trying to do the right thing and provide as much information to help promote sales of the CD as possible. It's odd because there are so many other Clue videos all over YouTube (is there a spy in our midst?).

Who knows maybe it's good news ... Perhaps there's a Blu-ray coming (since we know the film has been converted to HD) with the alt music in alternate scenes and Paramount doesn't want it out there before they offer it for sale. That would be the best possible motivation for their crackdown.

Anyone who wants to see these, PM me. They are very small files to email.
Last edited by Murder by Death on Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:09 pm

Wow. That's pretty ridiculous.

I like the music itself in those alternate titles, but I agree with you that I'm not too crazy about its placement.
~Ellery Queen

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:28 am

Yay, I just got mine.
I'm reading the materials that came with it now. The first page background info says the movie takes place in New Jersey. NJ isn't in New England.

WarnerPlum
Chopper Squad
Location: Sitting in my dusty bedroom in the United Kingdom - now where was that broom...

Post by WarnerPlum » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:20 am

Mine hasn't come yet.. but I'm willing to bet I'll have it by Friday!
"Caveat emptor, Plum: let the buyer beware."
"No, Boddy... YOU beware."
~ Blackmail!

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:16 pm

Michael wrote:The first page background info says the movie takes place in New Jersey. NJ isn't in New England.
I sort of glossed over that, but you're right.

New Jersey makes a lot more sense geographically from Washington D.C., and is known for elaborate estates of this type, more so than New England in any event.

Otherwise, Connecticuit would be the next most logical alternative, which means the guests have to drive 2.5 hours through New Jersey alone. Fortunately the New Jersey turnpike had been completed two years earlier in 1952, so it helps make this more realistic than making this trip on a two-lane highway.

But the album liner notes bring up an interesting question, was the setting originally supposed to be New Jersey? The script never specifies where we are, and indeed I dont think its relevant to the story at all, so it's interesting that they felt they needed to establish the location. Perhaps they decided on New England in the 11th hour because New Jersey doesn't seem nearly as appropriate a setting for a gothic estate murder mystery, no matter how scary the state may otherwise seem to some. :wink: At the time, New Jersey was seen as a kind of big crime, Mafioso, blue-collar place, not really associated with its real Robber Baron roots, whereas New England has a certain image of weatlth and elitism, regardless of the reality.

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:39 pm

Actually, the movie was originally intended to take place in Florida.

cluedoking123
Senior Detective
Location: Behind you with the candlestick...don't turn around

Post by cluedoking123 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:32 am

Michael wrote:Actually, the movie was originally intended to take place in Florida.
wow! you learn something new everyday!
IT'S ALL TOO SHOCKING!

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:13 am

cluedoking123 wrote:
Michael wrote:Actually, the movie was originally intended to take place in Florida.
wow! you learn something new everyday!
Haha cluedoking123, you need to take a look at Michael's Stage & Screen section, specifically the various script drafts - you will learn a lot!

Michael, I was referring to the original location they were thinking when they changed it from Florida by the shooting draft, which does not specify a location.

That said, notice on page 9, scene 17 of the shooting draft dated Feb 8, 1985, that the scene description references "Palm trees bending, nearly flattened by the gale force winds" ... PALM TREES in New England!?! Definitely a vestige from the earlier script.

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

Post by go_leafs_nation » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:42 am

It might have been something in the vein of the Simpsons, where Springfield's state is bordered by Ohio, Nevada, Maine, and Kentucky. But I highly doubt it.
~Ellery Queen

munitzer
Can Opener

Post by munitzer » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:22 pm

Unfortunately, I did not catch most of the songs when they were on YouTube, but I have caught the alternative titles and credits scores. Candidly, I do not like them, especially the title score. The music does not stay consistent, and the romantic flourish, which I find too close to "The Aquarium" from The Carnival of Animals to suit the movie that follows, is distracting, especially because the score then reverts back to the original.

Regards to the movie being set in other regions and states, Miss Scarlet says that Hill House is "off Route 41." More or less every state in the Union has a Route 41 (including New England states New York, Massachusetts, and Connecticut - also, New Jersey). Interestingly enough, there is U.S. Route 41, which begins (or ends) in Miami and goes north through the state.[/i]
"It is my opinion that your detective stories are the normal recreation of snobbish, out-dated, life-hating, ignoble minds."

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:46 pm

Try the Flickr links.

Yes Inagree munitzer, The final choices for the film are the best as far as the Titles are concerned, but I do like the music itself.

I'm still on the fence about the match cutting scene. I really like the cue, but there is so much music in this film, and the theme in particular is overused. I would have to watch the full film with this scene scored to judge the net effect. I wish the album's liner notes had gone into more detail about why these cues were cut.

I do like the alternate cue over Miss Scarlet, because it paints a clearer picture about what is going on between her and Plum. I would love to know if they filmed the scene from the shooting script inside Plum's car and his POV of the seductive Scarlet, leading him to reverse the car - contrary to the final film's implications, he was hardly being a gentleman. Whats funny about the cue that is actually used in the first half of that scene, is that it is barely audible except for the Theremin stabs. I would not have known there was a cue here unless I did this little project and really listened. Again, I am on the fence, as Michael says: without the music it is much more isolated, which plays to better effect than underscoring the characters, and lets the actors convey a subtle sense of character, to be inferred by the audience, rather than bludgeoning the audience over the head with it. If it were me having made this choice to not use the seductive Scarlet theme, I would not have used any music at all - the effects are all played to great effect here, from the rolling thunder of the approaching storm, to the hooting of the ominous owl, all of which Scarlet is confidently oblivious to.

Nice research on Route 41, I thought to look it up myself, so thanks for doing the legwork. Indeed, I will bet that Route 41 is also a vestige of the original Florida draft, as is the palm trees. It is unlikely it was called "Hill House" as there are no hills in Florida. Perhaps Michael can enlighten us as to the original address off Route 41, or confirm this idle speculation ...

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Re: OMG

Post by Murder by Death » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:19 am

Lord Caspen wrote:Incidentally: I've asked for this before, but I don't remember getting a good answer. Is there someplace one can find those pics where each character was featured with a weapon? I remember it was Mustard with the Wrench in the Kitchen, and I remember seeing all of them, and I thought it was here, but I can't find them now, and that one in particular is hard to track down.

Anyone else know where they're at? It's important to think: rare. The obvious places probably don't have it, unless you know for a fact where these are at.
This is the only one I've ever seen.

http://www.theartofmurder.com/table/sta ... arlog.html