Kill Mr. Boddy (Michael Has Won.)

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

PeachFreak
Highbinder

Kill Mr. Boddy (Michael Has Won.)

Post by PeachFreak » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:57 pm

This is a forum game I will be hosting, based on Kill Doctor Lucky. I think a few people are familiar with the rules, but I'll post them soon for those who aren't. The game can support up to seven players. If you wish to play, please choose your character. Playable characters are the MD bunch.
Last edited by PeachFreak on Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Like my daddy always says, give me a good neuromuscular poison any day."

Poirotfrmda818
Button Man

Post by Poirotfrmda818 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:09 pm

Mrs. Peacock, please.

kova
Detective

Post by kova » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:57 pm

Miss Scarlet for me. =p

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:00 pm

Sgt. Gray
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

MissScarletDidntDoIt
Crime Lab Scientist

Post by MissScarletDidntDoIt » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:21 pm

Professor Plum, please

PeachFreak
Highbinder

Post by PeachFreak » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:28 pm

The Rules

Winning:

Kill Mr. Boddy. Simple enough, right?

The Board:
Mr. Boddy's mansion has 32 rooms, including 24 named rooms, 6 hallways, and 2 staircases. When you try to kill Mr. Boddy, you must be alone in a room with him and out of sight of the other players. Sight lines work like this: If a player can stand in one room and look straight (vertically or horizontally) through any number of doorways into your room, he or she can see you. So, someone in the kitchen can see and be seen by people in the Master Suite, the west stairs, the two hallways, the Trophy Room, and the Winter Garden.
You can't be seen diagonally through doors, though, so for example, someone in the Foyer cannot see someone in the Carriage House.
The Gallery overlooks the Dining Hall. You can see through the railing above or below, but you cannot pass through it. People in the Gallery can see and be seen by every room straight down to the Piazza, plus the Nursery, Master Suite, and the Library.

To Begin:

Mr. Boddy will begin in a random room, with playing order chosen at random. All players begin in the Drawing Room.

On Your Turn:

On your turn you can do several things: Take a free step, play move and room cards, try to kill Mr. Boddy, and/or draw a card.
However, drawing a card is not always allowed. You can't draw a card on a turn you played cards or made a murder attempt, and you can't draw a card if you end up in an unnamed room.

Step 1- Moving

You make one free step in any direction to an unnamed room. Hallways and stairwells count as rooms. For example, you cannot go straight to the Trophy Room from the Kitchen - you must step through the hall between them.
Along with your free step, you can also play move or room cards during this part of your turn. You can play as many of these as you like, before or after your free step.
Using Move Cards- These cards move you or Mr. Boddy any number of steps equal to the value on the card. This movement is in addition to your free step. When you move Mr. Boddy, move him as if he were a regular player, not by room numbers.
Using Room Cards- These cards move you or Mr. Boddy to a specific room. You can use your free step before or after playing this card.

Step 2- Making a Murder Attempt

In this step, you may try to kill Mr. Boddy. To do this, you must be alone with him in a room and out of sight of the other suspects. When you make a murder attempt, you may use a weapon card. If you play a weapon card, your attempt uses the murder value of that card. You may also make a murder attempt without a weapon card, in which case you use whatever's on hand to attack Mr. Boddy (Or poke him in the eye with your finger over and over. Whatever floats your boat.) You may make only one attempt per turn, using one weapon.
Some weapons have a higher score when used in certain rooms. For example, the rope has a value of 8 when used in the Gallery. (In case you feel like hanging Mr. Boddy over the railing.)
If you have any spite tokens, your murder total is automatically increased by the number you have. This doesn't require you spend them. For example, if you have 3 tokens a "Murder Value: 2" card would earn a value of 5.
Spite Tokens are earned after each failed murder attempt.

Foiling a Murder Attempt

Once you've made a murder attempt, everyone gets a chance to foil it using Failure Cards and Spite Tokens. Starting with the player on your left, each player gets the oppurtunity to play Failure cards/ and or spite tokens to add to the Failure Total. Failure cards have values of 1, 2, or 3. Each player may play as many as he or she wants, but they are removed from the game upon being played.
Spite tokens have a failure value of 1. Each player can spend tokens as he or she wants. When a player spends these tokens to foil your murder attempt, he or she gives these tokens to you.
If the Failure Total is equal to or greater than the Murder Total, the murder fails and you collect a spite token. You may refuse to play Spite Tokens or Failure cards, thus forcing Failure cards out of other players hands. But be careful, if the attempt is not stopped, that player wins!

Discarding:

Used move, room, and weapon cards go in a discard pile and can be reshuffled into a deck once the deck runs out. Failure cards are out of the game for good once played.

Drawing:

You can draw a card at the end of your turn if you're standing in a named room and you didn't play a card or make a murder attempt that turn. This represents snooping around for something useful, but if you're in a hall or stairwell, there's nothing to find.

Moving Mr. Boddy:

Mr. Boddy moves after each player's turn. He will follow a predictable route around his mansion, moving to the room with the next highest number. If he is standing in a numberless room, he moves into the adjacent room with the highest number. If he reaches 19, he moves back to 0 (The Drawing Room) next turn and the process repeats.

Turn Order:

Until everyone has taken their first turn, nothing can change turn order. But on any other turn after that, Mr. Boddy can change the turn order by moving into an occupied room. If his regular move takes him into a room with another player, it is that player's turn regardless of the turn order. (If Mr. Boddy moves into a room where there is more than one player, whoever's turn is nearest in regular order takes his or her turn.) Thus, the same person may go several times in a row when using proper strategy. However, this cannot be used to make multiple murder attempts, since that occurs after your movement.

CMustardwPipeinLibrary
"old Mustards don't really appeal to me"

Post by CMustardwPipeinLibrary » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:11 pm

Col. Mustard
"Are you trying to make me look stupid in front of the other guests?"
"You don't need any help from me, sir."
"That's right!"

Are you gullible? Click here to find out!

Lord Caspen
Court Stenographer

Me, too!

Post by Lord Caspen » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:18 pm

Mrs. White, if you please.
It's discouraging to think how many people are shocked by honesty and how few by deceit. -- Blithe Spirit, Noel Coward.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:00 am

And I'll be Mr. Green.

WarnerPlum
Chopper Squad
Location: Sitting in my dusty bedroom in the United Kingdom - now where was that broom...

Post by WarnerPlum » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:13 am

"Caveat emptor, Plum: let the buyer beware."
"No, Boddy... YOU beware."
~ Blackmail!

PeachFreak
Highbinder

Post by PeachFreak » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:11 pm

Er...and?

Anyway, I'm beginning to deal cards now. They're wont' be actual "cards" since I don't feel like recreating every card in the deck, but will be text based.

For Example:
Weapon: Killing Joke (Murder Value:3)

One thing I ask is that each player keeps track of his or her own cards and spite tokens. Remember what you discard and what you draw, etc. I too will try to keep a general idea, but seven players with ever-expanding hands becomes a bit much at times.

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:13 pm

Oh, good... so there will be cheating involved! My favorite type of game!

PeachFreak
Highbinder

Post by PeachFreak » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:17 pm

Eh, like I said, I'll be keeping track as well, so if you try to use something you don't have, I'll call you on it. Plus, I'm keeping the 'flavor text' part of the Failure cards so I know which have been used already.

PeachFreak
Highbinder

Post by PeachFreak » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:29 pm

This is the playing order:

Michael (Sgt. Grey)
CMustardwPipeinLibrary (Col. Mustard)
Cluedokid (Mr. Green)
MissScarletDidntDoIt (Prof. Plum)
Lord Caspen (Mrs. White)
Poirotfrmda818 (Mrs. Peacock)
kova (Miss Scarlet)

Mr. Boddy will begin the game in the Hedge Maze.

PeachFreak
Highbinder

Post by PeachFreak » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:10 pm

Well, we begin. Feel free to roleplay on your turn. Failure cards should provide interesting storytelling scenarios.

Sgt. Grey (Michael) it is your turn.

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:24 pm

Stg. Gray slammed the last book back into the library’s bookcase. Boddy had thousands of tomes and he’d looked through every single one. What he was searching for hadn’t been in any of them.

“Keep looking. Tear the whole place apart if you have to. Room by room. It’s got to be there, somewhere,� his employer – not Mr. Boddy, but his REAL employer – said over the phone. Gray had never met the voice. No faces. No names. That was the way the Employer liked to do business. And he – or she - paid heftily for the privilege.

Coming out onto the Gallery, Gray noticed several people milling about in the Drawing Room. His stomach lurched. Where had all of these people come from? He recognized one or two faces instantly as people Mr. Boddy would not have been pleased to see in his house. Gray worried that he couldn’t afford to be fired now when he was so close… and if Mr. Boddy had found out that he’d ditched his security post in the Piazza, he’d be toast.

Gray slipped through the Gallery to the Nursery and then into the Lancaster Room before he dared to take a breath. What idiot, he stopped to wonder, would build such a magnificent mansion with so many windowless rooms? But even though the room was secure from prying eyes, there was no time to waste standing still and pondering such trivialities. He hurried down the side stairs and into the Trophy Room from where he could peek inside the Drawing Room. “Oh, no,� he accidentally said aloud. The situation was worse than he’d imagined…

[Sgt. Gray (Michael) enters the Trophy Room and takes a Card. ]

PeachFreak
Highbinder

Post by PeachFreak » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:34 pm

Mr. Boddy has moved into the Carriage House.

Col. Mustard (CMustardwPipeinLibrary) it is your turn.

CMustardwPipeinLibrary
"old Mustards don't really appeal to me"

Post by CMustardwPipeinLibrary » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:25 pm

Col. Mustard noticed a mysterious man sneaking into the Trophy Room. So, naturally, he walked in to join. Turns out, it was Sgt. Gray!

"Ah, I was wondering where you were! I had heard that you would be guarding the Piazza, so that people wouldn't be able to get to that old chap Boddy, but I didn't see you out there. Don't worry - I won't tell anybody. Truth is, I don't see why Mr. Boddy needs protection so badly."

And he was telling the truth - he was completely oblivious to the danger that Mr. Boddy was in. Though, glancing around the room, he came up with an idea...

[Col. Mustard (CMustardwPipeinLibrary) enters the Trophy Room and takes a Card.]
"Are you trying to make me look stupid in front of the other guests?"
"You don't need any help from me, sir."
"That's right!"

Are you gullible? Click here to find out!

PeachFreak
Highbinder

Post by PeachFreak » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:42 pm

Mr. Boddy has entered the Piazza to discover Sgt. Grey's absence...

Mr. Green (Cluedokid) it is your turn.

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:17 am

WarnerPlum wrote:'Ey, I had this idea first!

http://www.theartofmurder.com/forums/vi ... hp?p=35403
Off topic while we await Cluedokid... but this is actually the third time we've tried to play the game (though the first unsuccessful attempt was in a non-Clue format). http://www.theartofmurder.com/forums/vi ... sc&start=0

I'm still disappointed that I never got to see Fred Dex, the local UPS driver come to life. :(