logo
Homepage Forums Clue Games Cluedo Games Stage & Screen Gaming Puzzle Series In Print Miscellaneous Links & Information
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Murder On The Orient Express 2017 Movie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TheArtofMurder.com Clue / Cluedo Discussion - Forum Index -> Miscellaneous
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject: Murder On The Orient Express 2017 Movie Reply with quote

This looks so good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI5dSBCymMI

I'm not wild about the Imagine Dragons song -- but it does work well, and should help draw a younger audience in that otherwise wouldn't be interested in this film ...
idk30
Suspect

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Murder On The Orient Express 2017 Movie Reply with quote

Murder by Death wrote:
This looks so good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI5dSBCymMI

I'm not wild about the Imagine Dragons song -- but it does work well, and should help draw a younger audience in that otherwise wouldn't be interested in this film ...

I wouldn't be surprised if the murder has been altered because it's so well known.
cluedoking123
Senior Detective

Location: Behind you with the candlestick...don't turn around

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my only qualm with this is Poirot's mustache. Otherwise it looks beautiful.
idk30
Suspect

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cluedoking123 wrote:
my only qualm with this is Poirot's mustache. Otherwise it looks beautiful.

Yeah, Ken's moustache looks OTT BUT each Poirot has to have their own "look".

I'm waiting for Crooked House, too. The official poster looks good - with Gillian Anderson standing out in her wig.

I wish in the Crooked House book the killer had been someone else.
alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm nervous, but excited-nervous. I don't think this story has ever been given an ideal screen adaptation, even in the Poirot series with Suchet at the helm. I hope there's some kind of twist in the story & ending, otherwise there's no point for most of the audience to be there.

And I'm the farthest thing from being a prude, but I've not been thrilled with the BBC's decision to inject as much sex as possible into their recent adaptations. Hopefully Branagh & Co. have a little more faith in the source material than the Beeb has displayed, in that regard.
WhatNow
Suspect

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2nd official trailer of MOTOE at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mojQrEQpbSs
cluedoking123
Senior Detective

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh wow. That looks a bit more action packed then the book haha
cluedoking123
Senior Detective

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guys. I saw the movie and...it was...a thing....at one point Bouc is like "all you have to do is sit and use your little gray cells." and out of no where Poirot just starts yelling about that's not how being a detective works and thats not what he does and I'm like "KENNETH?! HAVE YOU EVER READ AN AGATHA CHRISTIE POIROT NOVEL?!" And at the very end of the movie they make a reference to Death on the Nile that is just....devastating. lol. It's very pretty and on a list of all the Orient Express movies that exist I rank this at number 2 (1 being the original movie with Albert Finny and Lauren Bacall).
alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, I can't stand the Albert Finney movie, so I was going into this hoping for anything better than that.

Mostly, I was pleased. Kenny's Poirot is not the Poirot as written by Christie (except here & there), and that's probably my biggest gripe with the film. Why does he carry around a photo of a lost love & pine over it at night? Why does he fly off the handle & start screaming at people? Why is he constantly outside, where it's cold & dirty (to open up the film, I know, but it's hardly Poirot's style)? I like Kenny B's work, but I think pulling double duty on this film proved nothing more than a vanity exercise. He should have stayed behind the camera this time, and let someone else try their hand at the Belgian detective.

The rest of the cast was fine, but nothing special. Nobody really WOW'd me, and only the Count & Countess felt underdeveloped & shoehorned into the story. I blame that on casting a renowned dancer instead of a properly trained actor as the Count.

I love how it was filmed. The long tracking shots. The overhead shots looking down into the compartments. Technically, it's very well done, and I'd enjoy watching it again just for eye candy.

I still think the David Suchet as Poirot version is the best filmed version of the story. This new cinematic film is...fine. It's got Christie back in the mainstream for a minute, and that's always fine by me.

As for the parting reference to Death On the Nile...I'll admit it got a chuckle from me. It's clunky, but fun. If Orient Express does well enough, perhaps we'll get a follow up Kenny Poirot adventure in a couple of years.

And let us all be grateful this film wasn't anywhere as bad as the 2001 TV version with Alfred Molina, available in all its contemporary "glory" HERE on YouTube.
CluedoKid
Con Artiste

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also like the Suchet verison, though it had mixed reviews. It was definitely dark.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TheArtofMurder.com Clue / Cluedo Discussion - Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: