Clue Current Thoughts

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:54 pm

I was looking through some old threads for inspiration and his avatar was taking up most of the screen.

MrGreenJeans
Slueth

Post by MrGreenJeans » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:09 pm

Got it. Anecdotally, you inspired me to update my avatar.

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:12 pm

I've thought about updating my avatar... but I've had the same one for the better part of a decade. It would be weird to not be a Revolver in the Library. It would be as weird as Michael changing Mr. Brown. xD

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:36 pm

Michael used to have Inspector Grey as his avatar. Not sure what he had before that.

Sir Shamrock
Spy

Post by Sir Shamrock » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:20 pm

Ok, so this is going to sound a bit odd, but in the Clue book series by A. E. Parker wasn't there a part when the characters break the forth wall. Like the suspects were talking about what game to play and then Prof. Plum said "That's my second favorite game, right after CLUE of course.". I reread them all recently but couldn't find the quote anywhere. Anyone knows what I'm talking about?

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:39 am

I believe it was the Clue Jr book series with Wendy White, Georgie Green, Mortimer Mustard, etc. I remember the kids bringing up the board game quite a bit. Most of the friends/neighbors/teachers had color-coded names.

Sir Shamrock
Spy

Post by Sir Shamrock » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:58 pm

Mystery solved everyone! It was in the 14th book The Dangerous Diamond in chapter 3 Bowling for Dollars on pages 24-25 where Prof. Plum says "Bowling is the second greatest game ever invented, after CLUE of course."

Thanks for all the help!

Sir Shamrock
Spy

Post by Sir Shamrock » Wed May 02, 2018 1:31 pm

Does anyone know about how long the pieces of rope are in the 1949 Cluedo, 2002 Clue, and Clue Master Detective?

Zoo977
Master Detective

Post by Zoo977 » Mon May 14, 2018 9:52 pm

Not anything huge but wanted to practice drawing Phoenix Wright style evidence sprites. Decided to trace over photos of the Master Detective tokens of the original six weapons just for fun

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Stop winking at me, you oversexed Frenchman!

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Tue May 15, 2018 12:53 am

Awesome! I like it better than the MD cards!

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Tue May 15, 2018 5:13 am

Ooh! Very nice. I like them a lot! You should make it your signature banner.

cluedoking123
Senior Detective
Location: Behind you with the candlestick...don't turn around

Post by cluedoking123 » Tue May 15, 2018 8:30 pm

Those are amazing! Great job! :D
IT'S ALL TOO SHOCKING!

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Thu May 17, 2018 12:42 pm

You should do the Horseshoe and Poison too!

Sir Shamrock
Spy

Post by Sir Shamrock » Mon May 21, 2018 5:08 pm

My brother and I were playing Clue Disney Haunted Mansion that we had found at an estate sale a few days ago, and he joked that the ghost pieces could represent possible victims.

And frankly, that's a wonderful idea!

Doing so could add an element of excitement by finding who was the murderer, where, how, and who was the victim.

Plus the ghost pieces as it is look wonderful with the 2002 pieces, and each one could easily look like they were recently murdered.

With adding that element, you can go from 324 to 1944 possible solutions, which helps with replay ability (19440 if you include the 10 time options from the Clue DVD game).

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Mon May 21, 2018 5:46 pm

Sir Shamrock wrote:My brother and I were playing Clue Disney Haunted Mansion that we had found at an estate sale a few days ago, and he joked that the ghost pieces could represent possible victims.

And frankly, that's a wonderful idea!

Doing so could add an element of excitement by finding who was the murderer, where, how, and who was the victim.

Plus the ghost pieces as it is look wonderful with the 2002 pieces, and each one could easily look like they were recently murdered.

With adding that element, you can go from 324 to 1944 possible solutions, which helps with replay ability (19440 if you include the 10 time options from the Clue DVD game).
It's so simple I can't believe no one thought of it before.

The problem of course is that you'd know immediately which cards were the ghost or weapon cards when used with another game. You'd have to print a custom set for use with whichever game. The good news is, that's easier than ever to do.

The other way to play is simply, who killed which victim where? Did Mickey kill the Traveler in Seance Room? I find the premise for any Clue game much more appealing if someone is murdered.

Lord Caspen
Court Stenographer

Hmmm

Post by Lord Caspen » Mon May 21, 2018 8:28 pm

If you have that many possible solutions, I think you need to use the Master Detective rules for disproving, where every player who has at least one card has to show one.
It's discouraging to think how many people are shocked by honesty and how few by deceit. -- Blithe Spirit, Noel Coward.

BBP
Investigator

Post by BBP » Tue May 22, 2018 12:43 pm

Murder by Death wrote:
The other way to play is simply, who killed which victim where? Did Mickey kill the Traveler in Seance Room? I find the premise for any Clue game much more appealing if someone is murdered.
Aye!
I really couldn't stand that Clue is for 8 and up (or 3 and up according to the PC game) and about a murder, and then there's a DVD game made, with more suspects and rooms and even an extra category, for 10 and up - and that's about a lousy theft. Really takes the zazz out of the game.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Tue May 22, 2018 2:52 pm

Murder by Death wrote:
I find the premise for any Clue game much more appealing if someone is murdered.

Most agreed, which is why I picked murder for my Willy Wonka interpretation. 🙂

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Tue May 22, 2018 2:56 pm

BBP wrote:
Murder by Death wrote:
Aye!
I really couldn't stand that Clue is for 8 and up (or 3 and up according to the PC game) and about a murder, and then there's a DVD game made, with more suspects and rooms and even an extra category, for 10 and up - and that's about a lousy theft. Really takes the zazz out of the game.
And that's an excellent point. That's one of the reasons I can never understand why people don't like a particular game because of the premise it's sold under. Take the DTS spinoff, Secrets in Paris. That is an absolutely beautiful game, and a nice twist on the usual stodgy old mansion.

Simply discard all the rubbish DTS stuff, ignore the theft of the prized artwork using a theatrical prop, and play the game normally with your own premise. Mine is, a group of friends touring Europe during their gap year, wake up in Paris after a night of partying, to find one of their mates murdered. The motive writes itself, and if you're struggling for one, just watch The Talented Mr. Ripley!

monsieurchartreuse
Suspect

Post by monsieurchartreuse » Wed May 23, 2018 2:31 pm

I wanted to post a thread earlier, but it seems I was eaten because of "forbidden language"!

My thoughts right now are on the Clue games that use miniatures/figures, particularly the various grey plastic ones, and potentially figuring out who made/designed them and if there are others in that style.