logo
Homepage Forums Clue Games Cluedo Games Stage & Screen Gaming Puzzle Series In Print Miscellaneous Links & Information
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Franklin Mint Table

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TheArtofMurder.com Clue / Cluedo Discussion - Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quadsworth
Slueth

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:53 pm    Post subject: Franklin Mint Table Reply with quote

I thought that there was no table for the franklin mint edition, but am I mistaken? If there is not, does anyone know if the board will fit on the Monopoly or Scrabble tables?
Quadsworth
Slueth

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know?
cacums
Ringer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't...
Button Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they can come both with or without tables.
TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think there was a table for Clue. I think Michael said he had his custom made.
Mastermind

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean, Mike custom made his own. It was my first attempt at furniture making. Cost $300 and took a whole year! I look back and laugh...

But when the game was out in the stores, we were told that there was a table (and chairs!) made, but I suspect that was misinformation as I've NEVER seen them anywhere.
Poirotfrmda818
Button Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen the Monopoly chairs, but not Clue ones.
Quadsworth
Slueth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So do you think the clue board would fit on the monopoly table?
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quadsworth wrote:
So do you think the clue board would fit on the monopoly table?

What did you end up doing?

I just came across this listing on eBay for a Monopoly set with some really good pictures of the table.

On checking the specs, it looks like the Clue board is only 2 inches larger than the Monopoly board. Looking at the table, there is a slightly raised portion in the center which acts as a slot into a similar depression in the bottom of the game to hold it in place. With any luck the Clue game will have the same diameter opening, but if it's larger, a trimmed piece of weather-stripping in the void should hold the board firmly in place.

Note the Monopoly board overhangs the table by about an inch. Another two should not make a difference. Interestingly, the scrabble game is about an inch smaller than the Monopoly game, so if I were to guess, I'd say the table was designed to fit all of the games. Also, seeing how the table assembles for the first time, it appears that the pull-out player desks are optional, meaning the Clue board should sit firmly in place on the table mount against the non-skid nubs.

If you or anyone has a picture of the bottom of the Clue game, that would really answer a lot of questions about the compatibility. But I think the biggest challenge is not whether it will work, but whether you can find one at a treasonable price.

Found a picture of the bottom of the Clue set. It looks like it would fit fine on the Monopoly Table.

While I get the table, I never really understood the chairs. They are not particularly comfortable looking and the branding on the chair back just seems cheesy, far from the elegance the set otherwise exhibits.
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this today. Looks like this eBay seller discovered the FM edition would sit on a Scrabble table. So one more option to search for, in the event you haven't already built your own.

Matthew
Suspect

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the official Franklin Mint Cluedo pedestal.
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
You mean, Mike custom made his own. It was my first attempt at furniture making. Cost $300 and took a whole year! I look back and laugh...

But when the game was out in the stores, we were told that there was a table (and chairs!) made, but I suspect that was misinformation as I've NEVER seen them anywhere.

I've still NEVER seen an official Franklin Mint table for Clue.

I think we've discussed this before, but to refresh my memory, is your table (pictured below) just a table without drawers to pull out to take detective notes, and place cards on?

Michael
Mastermind

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, just a simple table with molding on the side.
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael wrote:

Have you actually played a few games around it? Is there enough room for each player's cards, and to make notes on the detective notebooks? Oh, and a drink! Wink

Or do you use it just for display, and move it to a larger table for game play?
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started doing a little more research into this, and discovered I had this eBay auction from 2010:

Basically this is identical to the table sold with Monopoly from another listing:

If in fact that's the case, I think I finally see what's going on here.

The more common tables are the Monopoly and Scrabble tables:

Frankly, I'd love to have either of those tables for my Clue game. I love the pull-out drawers to hold the playing components. But those drawers are part of a separate piece of furniture which sits on top of the table. The Scrabble top is smaller and has chamfered corners, so it has its own stand. The Monopoly has a different set of drawers which actually sits slightly under the game, with the table itself, sitting slightly under the drawers.

Unfortunately, the dimensions don't quite work out for the drawers to work with the Clue game.

Clue dimensions:
22 5/8" square (outer)
18 7/8" square (inner)

Monopoly dimensions:
~20 3/4" square (outer)
~15 1/2" square (inner)

Monopoly drawer base dimensions:
~19 1/2" square (outer)
~15 1/4" square (inner)

While I do not have the exact measurements of the table top dimensions, from the picture it appears clear that it's slightly smaller than the drawer base. In fact it only needs to be ~5/8" smaller in order for the Clue game to sit snugly on top of it. Unfortunately, if using the Monopoly drawer base, there would be little supporting the Clue game, or to secure it to the pedestal.

Given that the eBay seller in 2010, confirms he bought the table for his Clue game, from the Franklin Mint, it seems pretty clear that the FM made only one table for both Monopoly and Clue, but in the case of Monopoly it included the drawer base, and in the case of Clue, just the table base. This makes more sense as the Clue game is the only one which has a base that flares out from the top of the game. Both Monopoly and Scrabble are the same size at the top of the game as the bottom.

After thinking about how I could modify the drawer base to accommodate the Clue game, I came to the realization it probably wouldn't be a good idea. In addition to stability problems, the Monopoly game already hangs over the base by about 1 1/4", and the Clue game would overhang by an additional 2", so over 3". Not only would that obscure a lot of the drawer's playing surface, but it would make them harder to reach to slide in and out, especially the two top drawers.

Unless The Franklin Mint made an entirely different table to support the added bulk of the Clue game, and a larger set of drawers, this may well be the final confirmation that no custom table exists for the Clue game, and definitely no set of drawers. Which is really too bad. I was thinking about it, since the three games have their own color schemes -- Monopoly: green, Scrabble: red/purple, and Clue: black -- it could have had it's own custom drawers with black felt replacing the Monopoly green. Looks like I'll have to build it myself now. One thing I'd definitely do is build in a rotational base like the Scrabble table. On such a large playing surface, being able to rotate the side of the board where a players business is occurring, to be closer to them would definitely be helpful. Monopoly was one game in particular that would have benefitted from that, though the way these games are designed, I'm sure the stationary bankers drawer made more sense.

But looking at these games side by side, I'm wondering why the entire drawer in the Clue game wasn't lined in black felt? And for that matter, why did the drawer need to pull out so far?

Last edited by Murder by Death on Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:19 am; edited 3 times in total
Michael
Mastermind

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Murder by Death wrote:
Michael wrote:

Have you actually played a few games around it? Is there enough room for each player's cards, and to make notes on the detective notebooks? Oh, and a drink! Wink

It's just for display. As is most of my collection as nobody will play with me! I think I can count on one hand how many times I've played this edition and I'm pretty sure it's never been at this table...
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
Murder by Death wrote:
Michael wrote:

It's just for display. As is most of my collection as nobody will play with me! I think I can count on one hand how many times I've played this edition and I'm pretty sure it's never been at this table...

#SAD! Crying or Very sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TheArtofMurder.com Clue / Cluedo Discussion - Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: