logo
Homepage Forums Clue Games Cluedo Games Stage & Screen Gaming Puzzle Series In Print Miscellaneous Links & Information
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Labor Day Weekend Plans
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TheArtofMurder.com Clue / Cluedo Discussion - Forum Index -> Miscellaneous
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just came back from back-to-sc*ool clothes shopping; it actually wasn't as painful as it used to be, though I did get bored and frustrated a few times.
Michael
Mastermind

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depboy wrote:
Kristev wrote:
No busses on Monday, either. Grand.

Call me spoiled, but I have never, nor will I ever take a public city bus anywhere! Customers at work will ask me questions about the bus schedule on a daily basis and I know I look at them like they have two heads....Ah the luxury of the monthly car payment!

Apparently we are having a bar-b-cue/cookout this weekend, because I invited some (cute) strangers we met at a local bar to the house...Granted I was f*cked up at the time.

I work in New York City and my job takes me all around the island. Yet I, too, have NEVER taken a bus in the 6-7 years I've been here. I will take the subway, however. It's practically a necessity. But I take cabs as much as possible too. There's something about busses that I don't like. I think it reminds me of my early years in college before I had a car. I had to take busses everywhere and rely on their schedules which was a pain in the ***. I always felt trapped.

Good luck with your cookout! Let us know if those strangers show up!
Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the new Indiana Jones movie yesterday and it was AWESOME. Very Happy
cacums
Ringer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
Depboy wrote:
Kristev wrote:

Call me spoiled, but I have never, nor will I ever take a public city bus anywhere! Customers at work will ask me questions about the bus schedule on a daily basis and I know I look at them like they have two heads....Ah the luxury of the monthly car payment!

Apparently we are having a bar-b-cue/cookout this weekend, because I invited some (cute) strangers we met at a local bar to the house...Granted I was f*cked up at the time.

I work in New York City and my job takes me all around the island. Yet I, too, have NEVER taken a bus in the 6-7 years I've been here. I will take the subway, however. It's practically a necessity. But I take cabs as much as possible too. There's something about busses that I don't like. I think it reminds me of my early years in college before I had a car. I had to take busses everywhere and rely on their schedules which was a pain in the ***. I always felt trapped.

Went I visit my aunt's in Chicago, we use the buses a lot...

Not All Stories End in Happily Ever After...
Michael
Mastermind

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the huge pictures...

So I was so excited to have four days off for Labor Day. I thought we'd be able to fix up my "clue" room and still have time to spare. Boy, was I wrong. If you've been here awhile, you may recall my bathroom and kitchen remodel threads. The bathroom took a year. The kitchen is still ongoing after a couple (though, admittedly, there are only a few very minor things to finish). Given our track record for never ending projects, I don't know why I didn't anticipate this would take more than a day or two...

We spent every day nearly all day working on the room... Didn't finish until 9pm yesterday.

I wish I wish I had taken some before pictures for comparison, because the room is so vastly and completely different now.

So picture it... The room is basically a square. From the doorway, you'd see two sets of closets on the left, a wall of windows on the right and a blank wall ahead of you. Before, the room, trim and ceiling were all painted beige and everything blended together. The ceiling sort of curves in on three sides (intentionally) and was cracked everywhere (unintentionally). The far wall was covered in maple colored shelving. The unit was intentionally asymetrical with shelves and jut-outs everywhere and parts of it went all the way to the ceiling. Aside from housing a television we never used, the entire wall was covered in my Clue collection. It looked cluttered and horrible. A futon sat in the middle of the room - sometimes facing the tv, other times against the windows. Another shelf load of crap stood next to the door.

Now the after:

I patched all the cracks in the ceiling and walls. We painted the walls a "Mountain Elk" which is a sort of gray/green - it changes depending on the light. Basic ceiling paint covered the ceiling which emphasises the architectural curves and the doors and trim were painted a bright semi-gloss white.

We wanted to turn the room into a home office (or Study as I like to call it Smile ) so we Ikea-hacked a bunch of materials together to make the desk. Basic shelves for the sides and top, a stainless steel desk top; the back we pieced together from matching colored table tops and doors; we even made the bottom of the desk out of a table top and made it removable to access the outlet behind the unit; we wired up the two square lamps at the top and the light fixture above the desktop to the regular light switch. We used leftover kitchen cabinet handles from that remodel for the unit handles. Where the picture is, we'll be mounting a comuter monitor. The rug is another Ikea special. You can see Noodle's bed on the floor to the left - not that she sleeps in it and the sofabed on the right. A table that matches the desk is there in the middle.

The aforementioned Noodle. Why bother using the doggy-bed??

The other side of the room has the small (and by small, I mean micro...) sofabed with small square table. (Any Ikeans out there will definitely recognize all this junk). Stainless steel-esque lamp good for reading on the sofa. And a nice print on the wall - which incidentally was about the only thing rescued from the old room.

So that's it. Surely you've seen those home improvement shows where they transform a room for under $1000. I love watching them. Somehow we must have channeled that spirit, because that's about all this cost. (Slightly more, but I bet those shows never take into account the cost of incidentals like paint brushes... the bastards...)
Brian
Hawkshaw

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such fabulous DIY, Michael. Smile Great study! You're dog is so beautiful. Very good job, very good indeed.
Michael
Mastermind

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.
Brian
Hawkshaw

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

House trained, I hope. Wink You're dog is so cute. When did you get it?
Michael
Mastermind

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

She's almost 8 months. We got her at 3.

She's litter box trained. But you'll notice the sheet on the sofa. Under it is a waterproof pad. Just in case...
cacums
Ringer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noodle is so precious Very Happy

go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
Depboy wrote:
Kristev wrote:

I have to rely on the bus company's schedules to JUST get me to school on time. Unless I left at 4 AM in the morning (to be there 2 hours early), there's no way I'd make it earlier. And the buses are rarely on time.
Brian
Hawkshaw

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
She's almost 8 months. We got her at 3.

She's litter box trained. But you'll notice the sheet on the sofa. Under it is a waterproof pad. Just in case...

I see. Hopefully that won't happen; you never know, though! She is very beautiful. Smile
Niteshade007
"Master Detective is creepy!"

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

go_leafs_nation wrote:
Michael wrote:
Depboy wrote:
Kristev wrote:

I have to rely on the bus company's schedules to JUST get me to school on time. Unless I left at 4 AM in the morning (to be there 2 hours early), there's no way I'd make it earlier. And the buses are rarely on time.

I refuse to ride the campus buses, and my friends take me for a snob, but honestly, it's because I HATE having to constantly stop every few feet to let more people on. I'd much rather walk. Of course, it's September now and incredibly hot, so I show up to class a sweaty mess, but I figure I'm at least getting some exercise. It's not like I'm going to go to the gym anytime soon.
Tum
Accomplice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Niteshade007 wrote:
go_leafs_nation wrote:
Michael wrote:
Depboy wrote:
Kristev wrote:

I refuse to ride the campus buses, and my friends take me for a snob, but honestly, it's because I HATE having to constantly stop every few feet to let more people on. I'd much rather walk. Of course, it's September now and incredibly hot, so I show up to class a sweaty mess, but I figure I'm at least getting some exercise. It's not like I'm going to go to the gym anytime soon.

I have to take public transportation every week to get to work. Thank god for first class and free upgrades for being a Continental Platinum Elite.
cacums
Ringer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tum wrote:
Niteshade007 wrote:
go_leafs_nation wrote:
Michael wrote:
Depboy wrote:
Kristev wrote:

I have to take public transportation every week to get to work. Thank god for first class and free upgrades for being a Continental Platinum Elite.

This is like one of the longest quote runs on the forum Laughing

Kristev
Crime Writer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My word. I had no idea riding a bus was so unpopular. I wish I lived in NYC.
Michael
Mastermind

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cacums wrote:
Tum wrote:
Niteshade007 wrote:
go_leafs_nation wrote:
Michael wrote:
Depboy wrote:
Kristev wrote:

I agree!
go_leafs_nation
Trigger Man

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
cacums wrote:
Tum wrote:
Niteshade007 wrote:
go_leafs_nation wrote:
Michael wrote:
Depboy wrote:
Kristev wrote:

I agree!

Should we continue quoting it for fun? See how much we can get it to quote?
cacums
Ringer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

go_leafs_nation wrote:
Michael wrote:
cacums wrote:
Tum wrote:
Niteshade007 wrote:
go_leafs_nation wrote:
Michael wrote:
Depboy wrote:
Kristev wrote:

I agree!

Should we continue quoting it for fun? See how much we can get it to quote?

It will go as far as we let it, that is until someone breaks it Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TheArtofMurder.com Clue / Cluedo Discussion - Forum Index -> Miscellaneous All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: