Harry Potter Clue

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

macphile
Suspect

Harry Potter Clue

Post by macphile » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:28 am

Looks like Hasbro will be releasing Harry Potter Clue, due this fall. Awesome. :)

There's a preview (and preorder) here.

Brian
Hawkshaw

Post by Brian » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:38 am

Looks very cool.
Clue

kova
Detective

Post by kova » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:42 pm

Hmm. I was holding my breathe it would be more like the classic version, but oh well. Hope it captures the feel of Harry Potter. On another note, I wonder why they didn't do one when there were still books to be released.

Green
Detective

Post by Green » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:21 pm

Because now they're trying to make more money - the books brought in plenty of money, they're going to try to use games and stuff to continue to bring in money from the same franchise.

kova
Detective

Post by kova » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:50 pm

I guess in my logic, they would make more money before when the books were still receiving attention and not just trying to hang on to the franchise. But my logic isn't the one charge.

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:51 pm

kova wrote:Hmm. I was holding my breathe it would be more like the classic version, but oh well.
There's already one like it, though without the official CLUE/Hasbro stamp. The "Harry Potter: Mystery At Hogwarts" game has been available for a few years now.

I might pick this one up, but I'm not sure. I mean, with CLUE going modern now, does this mean we are to expect a bunch of themed CLUE games like we have a bunch of themed Monopoly, Yahtzee, and RISK games? I'd hate to see that happen, and though there have been themed CLUE games before, this one seems like the first step in the wrong direction.

But hopefully I'm wrong, and this is just a new special edition to add to the collection. But is I EVER see a Spongebob or High School Musical CLUE game, I will lose all faith in Hasbro.
"But look what happened to the cook!"

kova
Detective

Post by kova » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:29 pm

Granted I meant I wouldn't think there would a spinoff so quick, I did forget there is an unofficial Harry Potter Clue. :oops: So I take it the first did well enough for an official remake.

I'm sure there will be some spinoffs, but I would hope there isn't a Spongebob Clue (maybe Clue Jr. but not Clue). Surprised its so soon and they are not allowing the new one to get comfortable before a spinoff is released.

chaostheory1489
Private Eye

Post by chaostheory1489 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:06 pm

It does sound sort of interesting, what with how the board can change and all, and it's very fitting with the world it's set in. How good it'll be in practice remains to be seen.

And I agree; as much as I enjoy the special editions, much of that love is because so far they've done an excellent job at choosing the properties. While I don't think Harry Potter is too terrible a choice (no worse than Dungeons and Dragons, I'd imagine), it does feel like the release of this game so soon after the release of Reinvention may be a sign of things to come.

There are many brands that could be used that I'd be ok with, but pretty much anything related to a children's tv show would be too far.

Green
Detective

Post by Green » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:49 pm

Honestly, I'm beginning to expect more and more versions of Clue - yes, maybe even a High School Musical Clue (well, it has six main characters, what do you expect?). It's a game everybody knows with a great concept that most other games don't use - using a story and characters and solving the game through deduction. It's easily adaptable, and I definitely think we'll be seeing more and more versions of Clue.

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:23 pm

I'll gladly buy an HSM CLUE if I can kill any of the main characters during play. :twisted:
"But look what happened to the cook!"

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:18 am

Sooo.... it seems the websites I see online are all showing a release date of 9/30 or 10/1.

But guess who got his TODAY?! That's right! ME! Mwahahahahehehehehehehahahahaha
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

Jane Poirot
Femme Fatale

Post by Jane Poirot » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:40 am

alwaysPeacock wrote:I'll gladly buy an HSM CLUE if I can kill any of the main characters during play. :twisted:
Replace HSM Clue with Hannah Montana Clue and you've got me. :lol:
Anyone who thinks Canadians are meek and mild-mannered has obviously never seen us during Question Period!

ClueGamer
Gumshoe

Post by ClueGamer » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:03 pm

But guess who got his TODAY?! That's right! ME! Mwahahahahehehehehehehahahahaha
Michael, Where did you get yours?

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:41 pm

Can you keep a secret?

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:21 pm

Quick Game Play Overview:

1 of six student cards (harry, ron, hermoine, luna, neville, ginny) is removed from the deck as the one fallen prey to the dark magic and is missing somewhere in Hogwarts. Players play the remaining characters.

Everyone starts with a certain number of house points based on how many players.

Separate the suspect (the villians, not the players)/item/location cards and put one of each in the solution envelope. Deal cards with equal number. Extra go in Dumbledore's office.

Player who's birthday is next goes first.

On your turn, roll the two regular dice and one hogwarts die.

If the hogwart's die shows a star, take a help card.
If the hogwart's die shows a house crest, turn the wheel in that corner of the board one notch clockwise. Note, doors into rooms may open or close and secret passages may change when a wheel is turned.
If the wheel shows the Dark Mark or if the Howgarts die shows the dark mark - take a card from the dark mark deck and read it aloud.

Each dark mark card describes an event likely to have been caused by Dark Forces and each card shows:
what is happening
who is affected
how many house points could be lost
how you can protect yourself against the event

(Example: Characters in Corridors - Someone has poisoned your butterbeer - you do not feel well. - Lose 10 HP - Help Cards: Bezoar, Madam Pomfrey)

If you have a Help Card that protects you, show it to the other players and then place it back in front of you. You are safe.

If you don't, you must pay the penalty by putting that many house points into the house points pile.

When you have used a Help card or paid your house point penalty, continue to the "move" step.

Note, if you lose all of your house points, you must drop out of the game.

If all players run out of house points, the game is over and the Dark Forces have won and the missing student meets an unfortunate end.

The move/suggest portion is just like regular clue except that you can use an Alohomora Help Card to pass through closed doors.

If you land on a star space on the board, you can take a help card. The help card will be an Ally, an Item or a Spell.

You can visit Dumbledore's office to look at any of the face down cards or make an accusation.

Overall, the game has a lot of HP details. I can't wait to actually play it!

chaostheory1489
Private Eye

Post by chaostheory1489 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:32 pm

It kind of sounds like "Clue Jr.: Super Sleuth".

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:51 pm

I'm not supporting that idea, I want the original!

WarnerPlum
Chopper Squad
Location: Sitting in my dusty bedroom in the United Kingdom - now where was that broom...

Post by WarnerPlum » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:15 pm

OOOH, I gotta get it!
"Caveat emptor, Plum: let the buyer beware."
"No, Boddy... YOU beware."
~ Blackmail!

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:25 pm

It uses those same stupid pawns as the current version, though. Can't stand them.

WarnerPlum
Chopper Squad
Location: Sitting in my dusty bedroom in the United Kingdom - now where was that broom...

Post by WarnerPlum » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:28 pm

Not to worry - we can use Lego minifigs!
"Caveat emptor, Plum: let the buyer beware."
"No, Boddy... YOU beware."
~ Blackmail!