logo
Homepage Forums Clue Games Cluedo Games Stage & Screen Gaming Puzzle Series In Print Miscellaneous Links & Information
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Clue Murder Mystery Dinner Party

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TheArtofMurder.com Clue / Cluedo Discussion - Forum Index -> Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pattyb
Suspect

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:26 pm    Post subject: Clue Murder Mystery Dinner Party Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm trying to plan a murder mystery dinner party based on the Clue Game and wonder if anyone can suggest ways to modify the rules for actual role play instead of board-based?

For example, how should guests move from room to room? I'm not very creative and keep getting stuck on giant dice... -not a great idea, I know.

Many thanks for your help!
alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum and as for dice, I think that's an interesting idea. To me, large dice would emphasize being trapped in a living board game. If you don't want to use dice, you could have each person draw a number between 1 and however many people are playing. The person with the one will move first and so on. To advance to a room, simply walk to the room. Once in the room, voice your suspicions and the person you suggest must join you in that room. If you can be disproved, you must trade your number for the next lowest, if you can't be disproved, you get the next highest number. Obviously one and six don't apply sometimes. When a person is ready to accuse, they must announce that they are doing so, and then goo find the person they are accusing. The accused and others will hide while the accuser tries to find the person they guessed. They have three chances to find the person before the accused escapes and the game resumes as normal, with the accuser losing their next turn. If the accused is caught, they are than taken to the room where it happened as is the weapon. If correct, the accused is put in prison and the accuser wins a prize. If wrong, the accuser goes to jail and any evidence thay have collected so far becomes publice vidence, meaning that it is read off for everyone to hear. The wrongly accused gets an extra turn. Play continues until the real murderer is discovered along with the location and weapon.

Have fun. Very Happy
Michael
Mastermind

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just create a mystery in the method of the How to Host a Murder games using the Clue suspects. You could put out a Clue board and tokens that guests could use to help them keep track of people's and weapon's alibis.

-Michael
Michael
Mastermind

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, welcome PattyB!
Depboy
Missing Person

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in January, my boyfriend and I purchased a house. In February, we had a house warming party. The theme? Clue! So, the way it went down was I divided the guests into teams, (example: team Scarlet). I had a tray of weapons and let them hold them and get familiar with them. Each room of the house was a room that the murder could have occured in. To play the game, I made clue cards and handed them out to each of the teams. Three of the cards were put into my top shirt pocket. One with a suspect, one with a weapon and one with a room. This was the solution. I gave them detective notebooks and I made them watch the Intro to the Clue VCR Game and made sure they took notes. I also went over the history of clue (the year it was invented, the original six suspects, things like that). We started with Team Scarlet and they were asked a trivia question about clue. They had three answers they could choose from. If they answered correctly they could go into the room of their choice and make a suggestion. If incorrect, the next team could get to answer a question. Eventually everyone narrowed it down to the kitchen. It was fun having 12 -16 ppl crammed into our small kitchen. Here's a website I made with photos of the teams. http://hometown.aol.com/depboyjr

As thanks you cards I made each person a clue card and gave them to them.
pattyb
Suspect

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 10:15 am    Post subject: Clue Murder Mystery Party Reply with quote

Hey, thanks for the great ideas and for the warm welcome...

I like the idea of continuing to use cards - that addresses the biggest problem I had about finding clues. The whole idea started with the How to Host a Murder games. My team of colleagues at work was highly interested in doing a game night but the problem is most of the box games have a maximum of 8 players and we have about 16. From there, the idea evolved to playing Clue "in real life" and my house is perfect for it - it's a split level so lots of action can happen without witnesses... I thought I might actually have to write a whole plot myself, but using the Clue Game definitely cuts out a lot of the work. Plus, we can keep playing and have the solutions change - just like the board game.

Keep the suggestions coming!
ClueBoy12
Informant

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

omg! This reminded me! My friends and I were at my friend Graces house, and we decided to make a movie, when i was reluctent my friend mikey suggested we make a Clue movie to get me to do it. So now that i was in we started getting costumes from her basement, I was Scarlet with a big pink shiny wig and some other shinny red objects we found in the costume box! I was also Plum later when scarlet was killed off by peacock(my friend mikey who wore a white hair wig, a pill box hat, and a dress!!!) My friend caroline was a disturbed Mrs. White(hillarious), Grace was the camera person, her little brother was green(a disgrace to green) Rolling Eyes Her little sister was yvette (she was really bad so we killed her off in like the 1st minate Rolling Eyes ) and my friend arrille was col. mustard(she was really good for being a woman playing a man!) anyway it was lots of fun and we're already planning another one! I''ll tell you when that happens!
Special Investigator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chad! How can you forget the most important person -- Mr. Boddy! I want to know who killed Mr. Boddy, where and with what!
ClueBoy12
Informant

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't fret, he is going to be in our next one, she i should say, seeing as he is being played by a she!
Spy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a pretty different Clue-based housewarming party that I threw a few years ago -- I just posted about it in another forum http://theartofmurder.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=496. Guess I should've poked around the other forums first.

Anyway, it was really fun and I liked the fact that it didn't involve the standard cards, tokens, etc. But coming up with all the puzzles in the first place was tough!
ClueBoy12
Informant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i really need to have a clue party sometime soon... Cool

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Clue Murder Mystery Dinner Party Reply with quote

Use the movie instead of the board game as the way to get people from room to room. I was wondering though, how do you obtain the rights to the show, or is there no rights? Please e-mail me at [email protected] .

Thank you,

Nick
ClueBoy12
Informant

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got my hands on a copy of Michaels grapes of wrath game, i can hardly wait to play!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TheArtofMurder.com Clue / Cluedo Discussion - Forum Index -> Gatherings All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: