logo
Homepage Forums Clue Games Cluedo Games Stage & Screen Gaming Puzzle Series In Print Miscellaneous Links & Information
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Franklin Mint Reproduction
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TheArtofMurder.com Clue / Cluedo Discussion - Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cacums
Ringer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could also be portrayed as so--

Green spaces are outdoors, Grey spaces are indoors. It makes the same outdoor/indoor locations as Master Detective did. I believe someone once mentioned the Convervatory not being attached to the house.

btw, I do agree that the SCC layout is the best, a couple years back I even did a full mansion blueprint of it if anyone cares to see.
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael – I was reading your earlier post about repairing the billiard table leg on your Franklin Mint edition, where you said it easily came apart just by taking the screws out of the bottom.

Do you have any indication that the Premiere board comes apart as easily?

Also, out of curiosity ... you saw the Frontgate board in person, right? Did you happen to see what kind of box it came in? I know how you are into boxes Wink ... just wondered if it was different from the RH box to further distinguish them from each other.

And Cacums, need you ask? LOL, probably best to start a new thread for Mansion blueprints, or put it under current thoughts so as not to highjack this thread to badly Wink (of course you idea means white, green and Peacock start outside the house - which is OK too I guess – there were a lot of firsts with the Franklin Mint edition)
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Micahel – do you think it would be possible to list the board dimensions for all the games in your collection?

The reason I ask, is that with my Premiere edition on its way, I started thinking about how different it might be from the Franklin Mint edition. Boy was I surprised at how big the differences are! The same might be true for many of them (It would be great to get a sense of the size from the smallest travel game to the largest edition).

First I compared the FM & Premeire editions with an original standard gameboard. Note that the standard game board is about 19.5 inches square. The FM edition is about an 3 inches bigger at 22.64 inches square, and the Premiere edition is about 2 inches smaller at 17.75 inches square. Note the light blue square sandwiched between the two deluxe editions (it's the 1949 US board).

Next to that, you will see the FM edition with a comparison to the Premiere rooms. I was shocked at just how much smaller they were. And for the first time I realized that they used none of the FM molds for the miniatures, as the ones in the Premiere are quite a bit smaller to fit the same scale in the smaller rooms. Some of the room art is different as well, not just smaller. In particular I noticed the light cast onto the carpet of the dining room from the windows is in different places. The poor Ballroom and Hall get further trimmed to fit into the smaller area as well, as the scale does not quite fit.

The bottom picture shows the standard board edition (in red) overlaid onto the FM edition. Except for the conservatory and kitchen which is slightly larger, all of the rooms in the FM match the standard gameboard exactly. Only the deluxe case of the FM extends beyond the original gameboard. Otherwise it is the same. That's a LOT of extra space just for decoration. But, the entire Premiere edition fits within just the FM's rooms area! Frankly I would have preferred larger rooms on the Premiere ed. to the wider permitter of the encasement. I fear it may feel too small after being used to a standard playing board. And I just realized, that FM edition is almost too big! Pictures simply do not do the scale justice.

cacums
Ringer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite an interesting comparison.

(of course being the person who looks at pictures before I read, it took me a while to see what was being compared in the last picture)
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it today!

Michael you are right. The box is absolutely beautiful. Too bad the box will rarely be seen. Seems a shame to throw it away for those who intend to display the game, and don't have the room for the box.

The overall presentation is quite nice as well. Generally, it looks nicer than any pictures I have seen of it. Aside from the criticism which has already been said about this edition, the one new overall comment I have is that I was surprised to see the rooms are printed on glossy cardboard. I had always imagined a matte finish. Is this true for the FM and last years version as well? It just looks sort of cheap to me, especially when light reflects off the walls and carpets. The game does not seem as small as I thought it would. So that FM edition must seem massive! Sadly, it is a bit too small to make a decent stand-alone end-table. But the biggest gripe I have is that the smaller board means smaller tiles. This means a standard game pawn, including the pawns included with the game, do not fit entirely within one square tile, but spill over the edges on all sides. My pewter pawns really spill over the sides. They are almost unusable. Finally, the furniture in the rooms is dramatically out of scale for the rooms. The globe in the library looks like a sculpture one might find in front of a building. The only thing which is to proper scale is the fountain in the conservatory, and it actually seems too small for the space.

Now for my specific edition: Like Michael's mine came with the dining room table broken off with an entire leg broken off. Fortunately it was anchored into the floor with one leg, so it did not break loose and scratch the plexiglass. In addition, the entire Hall module has come unglued from the top of the underside of the board and is sitting at a 10 degree angle to the outline. In addition, the rooms in general seem to be poorly assembled. The ballroom is literally bowed down on each side. Several of the rooms I can see the attachment tabs sticking out past the borders, and few of the rooms are square within their borders. Walls and floors are warped and bowed as well. Is this typical? The gold colored door and secret passage portions of the board over the lounge are bent slightly as if someone tried to fix them. Overall the workmanship is incredibly cheap on the room assemblies. In addition, when I received it, one of the felt pads had been ripped off the bottom and the equipment box had been slightly crushed on one corner, making it difficult to pull the box apart.

Imrpovements: Fortunately the gameboard appears to be assembled with 8 screws and will hopefully come apart the way Michael's FM edition did. The fact I have to get in there to fix the dining table and the Hall and adjusting the other rooms, means that I will likely go ahead with my project of painting the furniture to be realistic portrayals rather than the horrible metallic bronze paint, meant to mimic the 24K gold plating on the FM edition. I will look for miniature rugs and other accessories as well.

Overall, this edition is a bit disappointing, especially considering the damage and poor workmanship. If I had paid $159 for it I'm not sure I would keep it. Given the 50% discount, it beckons me to turn it into an improvement project. I must admit I am most put off by the fact that my pewter pawns are too large for the scaled square spaces, so even if I modify the game to my liking, my favorite pawns will still look out of place with it.

Last edited by Murder by Death on Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:35 pm; edited 3 times in total
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting observation: On the bottom of the Restoration Hardware Edition, it says manufactured by Winning Solutions, Inc. Manchester, MA. Their website lists them as a toy manufacturer. Winning Moves Games is located in Danvers, MA, literally 6 miles down the freeway West of Manchester.

Is this merely a coincidence that two major manufacturers of Clue are 6 miles apart and have the same name? Or could Winning Solutions be a custom manufacturing and importing arm of Winning Moves?
fendue
Biometrics Examiner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another interesting thing about the Premier Edition: There are only 2 spaces in between the Conservatory and Ballroom, while the regular edition has 3.
cacums
Ringer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And theres one space between the Ballroom and center logo and two between the Hall and center logo when in a standard edition it is the opposite
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I NEVER noticed that! Restoration Hardware totally screwed that up!

The conservatory would have been a relatively simple fix, just like the secret passages, but perhaps they did it for artistic reasons. It is still not a justification for changing a classic game.

But the centering of the cellar/envelope space is just a mistake. They had plenty of room to do it properly.
TheWhitePawn
Yeggman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Murder by Death wrote:
The conservatory would have been a relatively simple fix, just like the secret passages, but perhaps they did it for artistic reasons. It is still not a justification for changing a classic game.

I think they did it to give every player an equal starting advantage. Mrs. Peacock normally has a shorter journey to her first room than any other player.
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheWhitePawn wrote:
I think they did it to give every player an equal starting advantage.

That's not bad (plus it has the added benefit of being cheaper to implement). But you have to wonder why they didn't do that 60 years ago. Then again, perhaps Pratt had a specific reason for giving Peacock such an obvious advantage. Wink

But there's no excuse for the altered logo placement. It appears to be exactly centered (8 tiles from the top and bottom edges), so I would say it's for aesthetic reasons, except it is off-center side-to-side (9 tiles left, 8 tiles right). And it's off-center on the FM board (9 top, 7 bottom), as in the original.

It's going to drive me crazy. I'm probably going to have to fix that when I'm in there as well.

Last edited by Murder by Death on Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:45 am; edited 1 time in total
cacums
Ringer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How?
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cacums wrote:
How?

...am I going to fix it?

I'll post pictures of the take-apart. I have already removed the bottom of the box and there is another set of tiny screws that hold the rooms and glass against the top, so I'm going to need to take my time.

I'll know better once I get int there, but I should be able to just use an exacto-knife and cut the center out and the second row of tiles under it above the Hall, and just reverse them. Or, I may have to scan the whole board in photoshop and then re-print it on large format photopaper at a print shop, then replace just the green tiled section. I won't know until I get in there and see how well I can mask the edits.

I think that missing tile at the conservatory is gonna bug me too. May have to fix that, somehow. It may have eliminated the slight advantage Mrs. Peacock had, but it also created a precedent in that no other doorway is less than 3 spaces from another. As I pointed out, they made a decision 60 years ago to favor a minimum number of spaces between rooms over any players starting advantage.

I guess the biggest problem I have is this is supposed to be THE collector's edition of the classic game, yet they have changed some long-standing established conventions of it.
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It bugs me that there is no Cluedo edition of the Premiere edition, and that the FM Cluedo edition did not have a Rev. Green. So I decided to make a Rev. Green card of my own. It's a photo of an actual Victorian era vicar superimposed on the Mr. Green card. I think he works with the other photos. He's slightly different then most Revs. being so young but I think it kind of works with this particular set. Also, I'm not sure if the green frock is authentic, but it's an artistic license. Thoughts?

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's great concept-wise. A little too photo-realistic and supersaturated to fit with the others, but I know your simply proposing an alternate interpretation and an interesting one at that. Good job.

I will say that the frock looks particularly good.
Hatchet Man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice!
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, yes Cluedokid it was just a mockup to see if I liked it and whether he passes mustard (no pun intended) with other discriminating Cluedophiles.

The problem with scanning the actual cards is that they have halftone printing artifacts, which one can duplicate in Photoshop, but why? I'll probably go back to the original Struzan art and print directly from those to make my new card set.

While I'm at it, I'm going to make better weapons and rooms cards. As I mentioned, I'm going to try to paint the painted objects in the rooms as realistic representations. I think then I want to try to take pictures a la the inset of this Franklin Mint ad of the object in the room (since I have to take some of the rooms apart to fix them anyway), then Photoshop it to match the Struzan art style. Same with the weapons – I may go TheWhitePawns' route of using the MD set.

Oh, WhitePawn, I came up with another more logical practical reason for changing the Conservatory shape. The way the FM game works, if that space had been taken out of the conservatory, there would have been no good way to represent the door on what would have been a triangular surface. More than evening up the advantage Peacock had, it solved an artistic problem, even though the current door does not precisely line up with the space. It's much less jarring than a triangular door that came to a point at the bottom.

Niteshade007
"Master Detective is creepy!"

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the phrase was "pass muster," not mustard...
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Niteshade007 wrote:
I thought the phrase was "pass muster," not mustard...

It is. Perhaps I meant the pun after all. Wink The other phrase I could have used is "cut the mustard", since they mean the same thing. I think my addled brain combined them.
Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Putting take-apart Premiere edition all on one entry.

Last edited by Murder by Death on Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:10 pm; edited 3 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TheArtofMurder.com Clue / Cluedo Discussion - Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 20 of 22

Jump to: