Movies based on Board Games

All other non-Clue/Cluedo discussion.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

coinilius
Junior Detective

Movies based on Board Games

Post by coinilius » Sat May 16, 2020 5:13 am

We all know about the movie version of Clue, but what about other movies based on Board Games are out there? Putting aside Dungeons & Dragons and Warhammer related movies, the only other ones that I can think of are Battleship (2012) and Ouija (2014) (and by extension, Ouija: Origin of Evil (2016)), both of which were presumably part of a push by Hasbro to create movies based on their properties.

Are there any other board games that you think could be turned into movies? Ridley Scott was announced for a Monopoly movie many years ago, but that slipped into Development *beep* (although Kevin Hart was attached to it as recently as 2019). Monopoly as a 'Trains, Planes and Automobiles' style movie could work, but do classic board games have enough 'going on' to really base a movie on?

Zoo977
Master Detective

Re: Movies based on Board Games

Post by Zoo977 » Sat May 16, 2020 5:45 pm

Honestly I point to clue as a forbearer for board game movies as well as the 80s trend of VCR games.

Because well, it’s the only classic that really has a story. A classic murder mystery with campy elements, it’s a great formula. And I guess in both situations, studios saw it work one time so they immediately went “do it for all the properties” while ignoring that the example that worked is kind of an outlier. Clue *has* a plot.

And that way it’s kind of tragically ironic there’s plans for a monopoly movie; it was made as a criticism of landlords, and more relevantly by extension, soulless greed under capitalism. I’m certain the inventor would look at the modern state of the franchise and weep
Stop winking at me, you oversexed Frenchman!

coinilius
Junior Detective

Re: Movies based on Board Games

Post by coinilius » Sat May 16, 2020 6:02 pm

Monopoly has an extremely interesting history, with backstabbing and IP theft - the original Landlord's Game was designed to be a 'practical demonstration of the present system of land grabbing with all its usual outcomes and consequences' as well as educate about Georgism (complete with rules for two different types of play, the Landlord's Game and Prosperity, giving players the chance to play monopoly and anti-monopoly games).

Here's a really good website for information on the Landlord's Game:

http://landlordsgame.info/

Including this wonderful looking version:

I actually like the Battleship movie, it's dumb fun and harmless enough, although the aliens are most interesting when they are just their strange looking ships leaping around. The Asylum knock-off movie, American Warships, actually depicts the mechanics of the game slightly better too :lol: