When did the Hall lose a door?

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

coinilius
Private Eye

When did the Hall lose a door?

Post by coinilius » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:30 am

I'd noticed this before in photos of the current board, but I hadn't owned a copy of the Dr Orchid version of Clue(do) until I picked up the Ghost of Mrs White and really had the chance to play the game and think about it - when did the Hall lose it's side door?

The Hall in Discover the Secrets still had one, so why has the newer version taken that out? It doesn't help the flow of the game, it just means it takes more steps to get into the Hall - if anything, adding a third door would have been a lot more of a help to game play. It makes sense for the Bathroom when they replaced the Hall with that (briefly), but it had been removed long before that version came out.
Last edited by coinilius on Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jonathan Green
Detective

Re: When did the Hall loose a door?

Post by Jonathan Green » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:32 am

coinilius wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:30 am
I'd noticed this before in photos of the current board, but I hadn't owned a copy of the Dr Orchid version of Clue(do) until I picked up the Ghost of Mrs White and really had the chance to play the game and think about it - when did the Hall lose it's side door?

The Hall in Discover the Secrets still had one, so why has the newer version taken that out? It doesn't help the flow of the game, it just means it takes more steps to get into the Hall - if anything, adding a third door would have been a lot more of a help to game play. It makes sense for the Bathroom when they replaced the Hall with that (briefly), but it had been removed long before that version came out.
It disappeared in the 2016 edition. I don’t mind honestly, at least it looks nice.
Check out my Instagram account to see my art - :arrow: https://www.instagram.com/david_rodriguez_art/?hl=en

coinilius
Private Eye

Post by coinilius » Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:05 pm

I thought it must have been just the 2016 edition - like I said, I checked with the Discover the Secrets board and it was still there on that design, and that was a more radical redesign of the board. I still wonder why they decided to make that change, though.

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:29 am

I hate that missing door. At least modern Clue games include two dice, but it does make it a pain to have to visit the Hall (Bathroom?).

Personally, I think Marmalade’s marriage of the classic rooms/aesthetic with the condensed layout of the 2013 board is an ideal happy medium & I wish Hasbro were willing to be so bold.
"But look what happened to the cook!"

coinilius
Private Eye

Post by coinilius » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:33 am

alwaysPeacock wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:29 am
I hate that missing door. At least modern Clue games include two dice, but it does make it a pain to have to visit the Hall (Bathroom?).

Personally, I think Marmalade’s marriage of the classic rooms/aesthetic with the condensed layout of the 2013 board is an ideal happy medium & I wish Hasbro were willing to be so bold.
Yes, the lack of a door slows down travel even more, even with 2 dice - adding another door would have been preferable!

Even though it is adapted from the 2013 board, I do agree that the Marmalade game board design works well... even though I have always found that the 2013 board just rubs me the wrong way!