The Ghost of Mrs White

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

coinilius
Private Eye

Re: The Ghost of Mrs White

Post by coinilius » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:13 pm

ragstorichesfan wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:46 pm
Mine just came today. The Mrs. White cards can be used manually as well as with Alexa. One of her cards allows you to actually look in the confidential envelope snd see one of the answers. I don't think I have seen that in any other edition. Also the Hall has not been replaced with the Bathroom.
That’s a pretty powerful card - Clue Express has a keyhole on the confidential envelope where you can look in and see the colour of one of the cards - but that one has only suspects with brains, brawn and driver attributes, so it still only gives you limited information.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:01 am

So even though they have figurines for all the characters, they take the cheap route and go back to the basic pawns for the others? Ugh. And no Mrs.White card? So $12.99 for a white figurine?

At least the board can be modified to take a new starting spot, and the Cards from the Guess Who hybrid should work fine for White.

coinilius
Private Eye

Post by coinilius » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:06 am

Murder by Death wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:01 am
So even though they have figurines for all the characters, they take the cheap route and go back to the basic pawns for the others? Ugh. And no Mrs.White card? So $12.99 for a white figurine?

At least the board can be modified to take a new starting spot, and the Cards from the Guess Who hybrid should work fine for White.
Well, the other figurines don't match up with the new character designs, so that is probably part of why they didn't want to reuse them apart from White - although they did have to redesign White to fit with that miniature.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:39 am

I think the two Whites look similar, like the same person, one as a socialite, the other a maid. I wonder if there could be a way to reconcile the two identities in the narrative, like maybe White was a wealthy sister of Boddy's, who was blackmailed into service for him, and died on the job under mysterious circumstances? Maybe she found out he was secretly drugging and violating his adopted daughter, Dr Orchid, and so White had to be silenced?

coinilius
Private Eye

Post by coinilius » Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:19 am

CluedoKid wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:39 am
I think the two Whites look similar, like the same person, one as a socialite, the other a maid. I wonder if there could be a way to reconcile the two identities in the narrative, like maybe White was a wealthy sister of Boddy's, who was blackmailed into service for him, and died on the job under mysterious circumstances? Maybe she found out he was secretly drugging and violating his adopted daughter, Dr Orchid, and so White had to be silenced?
I don't know if I'd go for the 'violating his adopted daughter' angle, but the rest works pretty well (I'd go for another reason why Mrs White had to be silenced) - Mrs White, the socialite, was Mr Boddy's sister in the Marmalade game's bio for her, who had returned to the family mansion after her playboy husband ran out on her when her money dried up. She had to then beg Mr Boddy for access to the family money, so maybe he blackmailed her into acting as a domestic as a form of revenge/general dickish-ness?

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:11 pm

This is so brilliantly gimmicky & borderline dumb. :lol:

I need it.
"But look what happened to the cook!"

ragstorichesfan
Snoop

Post by ragstorichesfan » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:42 pm

I have photos up on my clue facebook page. I can't figure out how to post them here. If you want to jump over and bring them here,I wouldn't object. Clue/Cluedo Ultimate Fan site on Facebook.

coinilius
Private Eye

Post by coinilius » Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:15 pm

ragstorichesfan wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:42 pm
I have photos up on my clue facebook page. I can't figure out how to post them here. If you want to jump over and bring them here,I wouldn't object. Clue/Cluedo Ultimate Fan site on Facebook.
That’s a pretty awesome fan page!

ragstorichesfan
Snoop

Post by ragstorichesfan » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:25 am

Haha appreciate!

coinilius
Private Eye

Post by coinilius » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:44 am

My copy turned up this afternoon! Have unboxed but haven't actually played the game yet - I feel like this one will end up being played with some house rules, but but not sure what yet.

coinilius
Private Eye

Post by coinilius » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:08 am

Looking at an old thread on here about the Magic Mirror edition that came out recently, it looks like the White mini-figure they used actually would have been pretty comparable to the mini-figures of the new designs:
Sir Shamrock wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:56 pm
BBP wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:20 pm
Nice work Sir Shamrock!
Thanks BBP!

When comparing the 2002 figures with the Orchid figures, they're pretty similar. The newer ones are a little smaller.

As much as I don't like the idea of Dr. Orchid, her pose might be the best of the new ones

On the topic of pawns through the years, here all the usual suspects

And here's the different colors of the different pawns

I said earlier that they probably didn't use them in this release because they might have clashed with the Millennium era Mrs White figure, but looking at them all side by side and I think she would have worked well with them after all. Maybe they wanted her to stand out more, since she is the draw card of the set?

PrinceAlarming
Slueth

Post by PrinceAlarming » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:31 am

Dr Orchid seems to be the only one looking at Mrs White on the box cover; I wonder why... :twisted:

PrinceAlarming
Slueth

Post by PrinceAlarming » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:36 am

coinilius wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:08 am
Looking at an old thread on here about the Magic Mirror edition that came out recently, it looks like the White mini-figure they used actually would have been pretty comparable to the mini-figures of the new designs:
Sir Shamrock wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:56 pm
BBP wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:20 pm
Nice work Sir Shamrock!
Thanks BBP!

When comparing the 2002 figures with the Orchid figures, they're pretty similar. The newer ones are a little smaller.

As much as I don't like the idea of Dr. Orchid, her pose might be the best of the new ones

On the topic of pawns through the years, here all the usual suspects

And here's the different colors of the different pawns

I said earlier that they probably didn't use them in this release because they might have clashed with the Millennium era Mrs White figure, but looking at them all side by side and I think she would have worked well with them after all. Maybe they wanted her to stand out more, since she is the draw card of the set?
Magenta, Orange, and Grey pawns in the last photo, total of 9 with the original 6. Where did Orange come from? I have a Magenta one for Orchid, and a Grey one from Great Museum Caper, but I don't have an Orange one.

coinilius
Private Eye

Post by coinilius » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:57 am

The orange one comes from Clue Mysteries. They just need to put out a brown one!

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:43 am

Clue Mysteries had a Lavender and a Blue that was slightly lighter than my Standard Peacock Blue (1986-1996) pawn, leading me to believe it was mean to be Azure. The Lavender and Blue were very close in shade to my color-blind eyes.

coinilius
Private Eye

Post by coinilius » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:03 am

Although I don’t have Clue Mysteries (would love to pick up a copy one day), my understanding is that the pawns don’t represent characters in the context of the game - the pieces do seem to have some slight colour differences, like a lightly blue and purple, to the normal pawns, but they don’t seem to be linked to characters.

PrinceAlarming
Slueth

Post by PrinceAlarming » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:04 am

coinilius wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:57 am
The orange one comes from Clue Mysteries. They just need to put out a brown one!
Oh, I guess I do have it an just forgot since I haven't gone through the components of that game in years.

PrinceAlarming
Slueth

Post by PrinceAlarming » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:06 am

Amazon is currently sold out. I mean I'd say it makes sense in the midst of a pandemic; board games don't take priority. So I'll just have to wait it out.

coinilius
Private Eye

Post by coinilius » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:26 am

PrinceAlarming wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:06 am
Amazon is currently sold out. I mean I'd say it makes sense in the midst of a pandemic; board games don't take priority. So I'll just have to wait it out.
While there are certainly lots of things that are disrupted by the pandemic across the world, our Prime Minister here in Australia recently called jigsaw puzzles an essential item.

MajorHoy
Gumshoe

Post by MajorHoy » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:11 am

coinilius wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:26 am
PrinceAlarming wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:06 am
While there are certainly lots of things that are disrupted by the pandemic across the world, our Prime Minister here in Australia recently called jigsaw puzzles an essential item.
In a way, that makes some sense, since things like jigsaw puzzles that can encourage people to stay home and self-isolate are a sort of necessity. Multiple-player board games would work with a family staying at home, but aren't as practical for people who don't live in a multiple-people environment.