Interview with Rob Daviau (ClueDVD)

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Elrond
Gumshoe

Interview with Rob Daviau (ClueDVD)

Post by Elrond » Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:29 pm

Rob Daviau was the designer for the ClueDVD game back in 2005. He agreed to answer some questions:

1) In 2003, Hasbro re-launched Clue with a unified story and artwork style across the various media. By 2007, the franchise included 4 games (Clue, ClueFX, Clue DVD, and Clue Mysteries), 2 books, a fast-food promotion, and several other spin-off games (Clue Suspects, CluedoParty, Clue Express). Could you tell us about your involvement in the re-launch?
Pretty much none at all. Or so little that I don’t recall at this point. I was working for [Hasbro] and I recall it being [my boss’] idea and then he executed the whole thing. I don’t think I saw anything until he was done and showed us the style guide. I sat across from Craig as he did ClueFX, did Clue DVD, don’t recall who did Clue Mysteries (Michelle?), and was unaware of the other products until you told me about them.

2) The main games (Clue Mysteries, Clue FX, Clue DVD, and Clue) tell a unified story beginning in 1924 through John Boddy's murder in the original game (set in 1926). Obviously, this required a lot of internal work to keep characters and storylines straight. How did you manage this in the development of Clue DVD?
I don’t really remember. I’m sure I looked at it to make sure that I didn’t violate it but Clue DVD was mostly new information so it was easy not to step on the historical information in the style guide.
3) Two characters (Miss Peach and Lord Grey) were developed for the Clue universe and used in Clue FX and Clue Mysteries but they weren't used in Clue DVD. Why were these characters left out? Was there a story developed to explain their absence?
I don’t know why they were left out. I don’t think we expected to use all the characters in all the games. We had a pool to draw from as needed. Since I was adding time of day as a fourth category to keep track of, I don’t think I wanted too many suspects.
4) Michelle Duval stated that a refresh/sequel to Clue DVD was planned. Were you part of this? How much work was done on it? Were there any stories developed for it? How far did this get, and why was it cancelled? Any chance you'd consider trying to re-ignite this as a sort of "blast in the past" for those of us who came of age during this time period? ;) (Related to this, in 2008, Hasbro dropped this entire incarnation and re-launched it with a contemporary style. What were your thoughts/reactions to that?)
This is the first I’m hearing of it. If there was any discussion, it was brief and quickly abandoned. I have no ownership of the Clue IP so I can’t do anything outside of Hasbro. As for why it was dropped, I suspected a new marketing person was assigned to the brand. Whenever that happened (and it happened often), they felt compelled to “shake things up” and do something new, even if it was a bad idea.
Not a lot of new information but great that he would share his memories!
Last edited by Elrond on Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

coinilius
Slueth

Re: Interview with Rob Daviau (ClueDVD)

Post by coinilius » Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:07 pm

I love these kinds of interviews, even if they don’t give too much new information - you often see people being interviewed on things they worked on years, even decades in the past and they are recalling all these facts - it feels refreshing and much more ‘normal’ to have someone admit they don’t really remember all the details :lol:

It was great that he could share his memories of the time, though, and there’s some interesting little insights into the Hasbro process.

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:24 am

I wish we could find someone from the Clue Chronicles game from the 90s. It ended on a cliffhanger and I believe there were supposed to be 2 more. It irks me to no end to not know how the story was supposed to end!
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

Jonathan Green
Detective

Post by Jonathan Green » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:43 am

Michael wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:24 am
I wish we could find someone from the Clue CD rom game from the 90s. It ended on a cliffhanger and I believe there were supposed to be 2 more. It irks me to no end to not know how the story was supposed to end!
I’ll try to contact Glennis, she was a producer on the game and Scarlett’s voice actress, she has a Facebook page.
Check out my Instagram account to see my art - :arrow: https://www.instagram.com/david_rodriguez_art/?hl=en

idkahoy
Suspect

Post by idkahoy » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:46 am

Michael wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:24 am
I wish we could find someone from the Clue CD rom game from the 90s. It ended on a cliffhanger and I believe there were supposed to be 2 more. It irks me to no end to not know how the story was supposed to end!
It irks me too. Were Popov, Kell and Sabata to return for the remaining 2 stories??

If yes, how would they have been fitted into those mysteries??

idkahoy
Suspect

Post by idkahoy » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:56 am

Jonathan Green wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:43 am

I’ll try to contact Glennis, she was a producer on the game
Ooooh! Thanks.

Jonathan Green
Detective

Post by Jonathan Green » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:38 pm

Check out my Instagram account to see my art - :arrow: https://www.instagram.com/david_rodriguez_art/?hl=en