The "Murder, She Wrote" (TV and novels) thread

All other non-Clue/Cluedo discussion.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

MajorHoy
Gumshoe

The "Murder, She Wrote" (TV and novels) thread

Post by MajorHoy » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:40 pm

Just thought I'd see if anybody here watches (or watched) the U.S. TV show Murder, She Wrote which starred Angela Lansbury as Jessica Fletcher and originally aired from 1984 to 1996 (as well as four TV-movies between 1997 and 2003).

Or has anybody read the many mystery novels based on the series? There were a few published in 1985-1986 (written by James Anderson and the last one by David Deutsch), but then a new series was begun in 1989 and is still being published at present. Most of that series were written by Donald Bain (co-writing with "Jessica Fletcher"), but after Bain's death in 2017, Jon Land took over the writing and had his first one published in 2018.

The current series is up to the 50th book.

MajorHoy
Gumshoe

Re: The "Murder, She Wrote" (TV and novels) thread

Post by MajorHoy » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:49 pm

For the record, I sometimes watched the TV show with my parents when it was originally on CBS, and these days I sometimes watch repeats (re-airings?) late at night on Hallmark Movies & Mysteries.

I haven't read any of the books, but I've got my Mother reading them these days.

coinilius
Slueth

Post by coinilius » Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:59 am

I used to watch 'Murder, She Wrote' back in the day, though apart from maybe catching a random rerun on day time tv haven't revisited it. I never knew that it had such a second life as a series of novels, though!

There was a 'Murder, She Wrote' board game released in the 80's as well - I've never seen it in real life, so have never played it, but it sounds like an interesting (if somewhat bonkers) deduction game.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/243 ... -she-wrote

Hmm, the game concept could probably be adapted into a Clue variation where you get to actually murder people, with some work.

MajorHoy
Gumshoe

Post by MajorHoy » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:12 am

coinilius wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:59 am
. . . There was a 'Murder, She Wrote' board game released in the 80's as well - I've never seen it in real life, so have never played it, but it sounds like an interesting (if somewhat bonkers) deduction game.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/243 ... -she-wrote

Hmm, the game concept could probably be adapted into a Clue variation where you get to actually murder people, with some work.
Here's another link describing how it worked (from https://murdershewrote.fandom.com/wiki/ ... oard_Game)):
Each player gets a coloured pawn, rings, and an identity tile. The players secretly look at their identity tile (so that no one will know who the murderer is), and then put their color marker into it. Each character on the board is given a facedown alive tile. Players then leave the room and take turns returning to the room for a moment. This process is so that the killer can replace one of the Alive tiles with a dead tile; This is how the first murder occurs.

Then the game begins. Players roll the dice and move around the board on their turn. When a player ends his/her turn at a location, you can look at the character’s Alive/Dead tile to check their status. Then you place a colored ring onto the “Last In” circle next to that character, sliding any other rings down a space. The key is that, when looking at the tile the player must throw it back into the bin of tiles and replace it. Detectives put back the exact same type of tile, but the killer can replace an Alive tile with a Dead tile, killing the character. A detective wins if he/she goes to the Accuse space and correctly guesses the identity of the killer. The killer wins if he/she is able to kill 5 people and go to an Escape space.
The game is suppose to be for 4-6 players.

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:46 am

I had this game as a kid. I found it at a garage sale. I don't think I ever actually played it though and have no idea whatever happened to it...
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

coinilius
Slueth

Post by coinilius » Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:59 pm

There’s some video reviews of it on YouTube, I’ll try to remember and post a couple when I get home from work - it looks interesting if a bit simple as far as the deduction side of things go, it’s more low level strategy and bluffing by the sound of things. It would be worth owning for that box art alone! Lol

MajorHoy
Gumshoe

Post by MajorHoy » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:17 pm

coinilius wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:59 pm
. . . It would be worth owning for that box art alone! Lol
About the art on the box, . . .
Not really that convincing to me that she's suppose to be "Jessica Fletcher".

coinilius
Slueth

Post by coinilius » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:33 pm

I know - maybe they couldn’t get the licence to use her actual appearance and had to make a ‘close enough is good enough’ rendition :lol:

EDIT: Here are a couple of videos about the 'Murder, She Wrote' board game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ac0tTjLzitA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcBqemi0kNg

The second video is about a (IMO kind of crappy looking) redesign of the game from a later re-release, where the art work is replaced with photos. The photos don't have the same charm, IMO, of the slightly weird original artwork. IT does a photo of Angela Lansbury on the box, though so at least you can instantly tell it's supposed to be Jessica Fletcher lol

idkahoy
Suspect

Post by idkahoy » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:04 am

There used to be unabridged (I'm guessing) readings of the MSW books on WinMX but the user's not there now, I think.

MajorHoy
Gumshoe

Post by MajorHoy » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:29 am

idkahoy wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:04 am
There used to be unabridged (I'm guessing) readings of the MSW books on WinMX but the user's not there now, I think.
Since the Murder, She Wrote novels (at least those I've looked at) are written with "Jessica Fletcher" as the narrator, I would hope they had Angela Lansbury do the readings. (It might be too much of a disconnect to have somebody else's voice for Jessica, especially since the TV show can still be seen in syndication.)

idkahoy
Suspect

Post by idkahoy » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:16 am

MajorHoy wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:29 am
idkahoy wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:04 am
Since the Murder, She Wrote novels (at least those I've looked at) are written with "Jessica Fletcher" as the narrator, I would hope they had Angela Lansbury do the readings. (It might be too much of a disconnect to have somebody else's voice for Jessica, especially since the TV show can still be seen in syndication.)
I don't know who read them. I only noticed them on WinMX at that time.

coinilius
Slueth

Post by coinilius » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:43 am

You can listen to some extended audio samples from audio book versions of the 'Murder, She Wrote' novels here:

https://audiobookstore.com/audiobook-se ... mysteries/

These ones definitely aren't by Angela Lansbury.

idkahoy
Suspect

Post by idkahoy » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:06 am

coinilius wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:43 am
You can listen to some extended audio samples from audio book versions of the 'Murder, She Wrote' novels here:

Coin, thanks for the info. I guess Hoy wouldn't be interested with them.

coinilius
Slueth

Post by coinilius » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:29 am

idkahoy wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:06 am
coinilius wrote:

I've never listened to audio books so I'm not sure what they are like but, uhm, the samples from those books are not a reading style I would want to listen to. I'm sure Angela Lansbury would have done a much better job!

MajorHoy
Gumshoe

Post by MajorHoy » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:26 am

coinilius wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:29 am
idkahoy wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:06 am
coinilius wrote:

I've never listened to audio books so I'm not sure what they are like but, uhm, the samples from those books are not a reading style I would want to listen to. I'm sure Angela Lansbury would have done a much better job!
I like old radio shows and such, but I'm not really into audio books.
I had a bought a few in the past (ages ago on cassette tapes!) but those were of non-fiction books that were almost a conversational-/performance-style, read by the people who wrote them and had very well-known voices.
As for a Murder, She Wrote book, I'm not really all that big on the printed books where I read very small portions of them. Adding in a narrator's voice other than Angela Lansbury speaking as if she was "Jessica Fletcher" relating the story just would be another disconnect for me.

MajorHoy
Gumshoe

Post by MajorHoy » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:50 am

MajorHoy wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:17 pm
coinilius wrote:
About that illustration of "Jessica Fletcher", I finally figured out who it reminds me of:

Her name is Mary Jo Catlett, and she's been on quite a few TV shows in the past, including a housekeeper on the Diff'rent Strokes TV show from the early 1980s (which I never really watched, but it seemed like it never refused to die when it was later rerun in syndication).

MrBoddy2003
Investigator

Post by MrBoddy2003 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:07 am

MajorHoy wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:50 am
MajorHoy wrote:
Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:17 pm
coinilius wrote:
About that illustration of "Jessica Fletcher", I finally figured out who it reminds me of:

Her name is Mary Jo Catlett, and she's been on quite a few TV shows in the past, including a housekeeper on the Diff'rent Strokes TV show from the early 1980s (which I never really watched, but it seemed like it never refused to die when it was later rerun in syndication).
She Also Voiced Mrs. Puff On Spongebob Squarepants. And She Was On Diff'rent Stroke At The Same Time As Dixie Carter, Who Went On To Do Designing Women, Which Goes To Show You How GAY I Am
Frankly, Scarlett, I Think You're A Tramp!!!!

coinilius
Slueth

Post by coinilius » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:41 pm

Haha that is definitely more of a resemblance!

PushingUpRoses on YouTube does a great series of videos on 'Murder, She Wrote' episodes:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCTNXq ... h8gx0EKOtQ

Michael
Mastermind

Post by Michael » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:38 pm

I watch her videos too!
How do you know what kind of pictures they are if you're such a lay-dee?

coinilius
Slueth

Post by coinilius » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:41 am

Michael wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:38 pm
I watch her videos too!
She has some great videos! And not just on ‘Murder,She Wrote’ - she also has a couple Clue/Cluedo videos lol