Clue(do) Rules: Any "House Rules" or other variations when you play?

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

MajorHoy
Gumshoe

Re: Clue(do) Rules: Any "House Rules" or other variations when you play?

Post by MajorHoy » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:16 am

One issue that could be a problem is that in the older one-die version of the game, I believe Mrs. Peacock could enter a room in seven moves at the start of the game while everyone else needed eight moves. (May not seem like a big deal, but when you are only rolling a single 6-sided die, that additional space could mean you need three turns instead of two before you have a chance to get any information.)

coinilius
Private Eye

Post by coinilius » Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:46 pm

That is true - one dice in Cluedo is kind of frustrating in general, the change to 2-dice was a good one, IMO (and even with 2 you can have frustrating rolls).

Jonathan Green
Detective

Post by Jonathan Green » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:09 pm

coinilius wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:46 pm
That is true - one dice in Cluedo is kind of frustrating in general, the change to 2-dice was a good one, IMO (and even with 2 you can have frustrating rolls).
My thoughts exactly!
Check out my Instagram account to see my art - :arrow: https://www.instagram.com/david_rodriguez_art/?hl=en

coinilius
Private Eye

Post by coinilius » Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:55 am

Jonathan Green wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:09 pm
coinilius wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:46 pm
My thoughts exactly!
Here's a link to a thread over at Board Game Geek about variants that don't use dice:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/231956 ... 3#15806423

PrinceAlarming
Slueth

Post by PrinceAlarming » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:43 am

MajorHoy wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:46 pm
How do people determine who gets which character to play and who begins the game?

I know there's a rule of taking the piece closest to where you are sitting and then having Miss Scarlet(t) begin the game, but do you ever do it differently?

Does anybody prefer to let people ask for which ever character they would like, or maybe just put all the colored playing pieces into a container (like a bag or hat) and having each player close their eyes and blindly choose who they will be playing as?
Do you always let Miss Scarlet(t) start, or do you ever have players roll a die to decide who will move first?
I call dibs on Prof Plum immediately once we decide to play the game. But, I also use the rule that Miss Scarlet goes first. Whether or not that helps me out by going last, I don't know, but it makes the other players happy to take turns before me. Usually if I'm playing with my parents they'll pick which ever character is in front of them. If one of them is sitting with Mrs Peacock and Prof Plum, they just pick Mrs Peacock since I picked Prof Plum.

PrinceAlarming
Slueth

Post by PrinceAlarming » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:14 am

I've read a few variants on BGG and wanted to come up with some of my own. I use a common strategy of deducing who has what cards, especially when playing on the app because it's just so much easier to do, but I thought about testing out a variant to ruin that strategy. My idea that I want to test is as follows:

1) When you make a suggestion, the next player who has a card to prove your suggestion wrong hands it to you so that you can mark it off your sheet.

2) That card is then placed face down in that room you made the suggestion in.

3) The next player to enter that room takes the card and marks it off on their sheet.

4) If that player wants to make a suggestion in that room, they must play that card from the room face up into a Discard Pile for everyone to see before making a suggestion. Otherwise they add the card to their other Clue cards.

5) The Discard Pile only has the last revealed card showing. Players may not look through the Discard Pile until the game is over. This keeps the revealed cards from being too heavily relied upon. Players must be sure to write down each revealed card, because once it's covered up no one can see it again for the rest of the game. This could be enforced more strictly by having only one card face up as the Discard Pile, the rest being removed from the game one by one as they're replaced, face down in the game box.

If the player taking the card from the room hasn't seen it yet, it would probably be best to just keep it early on in the game if there's a lot of players; but in a three player game, it would be best to just reveal it since the other two must have already seen the card.

If you feel as though most people have already seen this card, whether or not it's new to you, it might be better to just reveal it to make a suggestion.

If you've already seen this card, having the option to reveal it to make a suggestion keeps your turn from being wasted, but could also give more information to other players that brings them closer to figuring out the solution quicker.

This can also be a fun way to play for cut throat players, the next player can quickly take their turn to enter another room with a card to add to the Discard Pile, potentially causing other players who aren't paying close enough attention to miss what the last card was. One the other hand, for people who don't like cut throat maneuvers: players can also agree before starting the game to prevent this from happening by making the next player wait until everyone has confirmed that they've had a chance to mark it down before replacing it with another.

Again this is a variant that I just came up with and need to test, so there may be some issues with it that I haven't faced or realized yet as it is just a concept at this point.

coinilius
Private Eye

Post by coinilius » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:10 am

You'll have to test it and see how it works! If I get a chance, I might try and play it with that variant as well and give you some feedback :D

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:49 am

I used to play the "Killer & Accomplice" version of Master Detective where you simply put two suspects into the envelope and suggest two people with each suggestion. It made for several quicker games as opposed to one long one.

I feel like it was a forum trend around 2008-2009.

coinilius
Private Eye

Post by coinilius » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:57 am

I’ve played that variant as well, Cacums (probably a lot of people here have!) :lol:

PrinceAlarming
Slueth

Post by PrinceAlarming » Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:53 am

coinilius wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:10 am
You'll have to test it and see how it works! If I get a chance, I might try and play it with that variant as well and give you some feedback :D
We're having another game night on Tuesday. I'm torn between teaching everyone games that they haven't played before and testing this idea I have. I'm half tempted to just try my idea, since I only ever get to play Clue with my family.

coinilius
Private Eye

Post by coinilius » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:24 am

PrinceAlarming wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:53 am
coinilius wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:10 am
We're having another game night on Tuesday. I'm torn between teaching everyone games that they haven't played before and testing this idea I have. I'm half tempted to just try my idea, since I only ever get to play Clue with my family.
You should give it a try and see how it goes!

BBP
Detective

Post by BBP » Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:11 pm

Or you could host an experiment here! :)

coinilius
Private Eye

Post by coinilius » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:03 pm

Someone was talking about having a forum game again so that could be an option

PrinceAlarming
Slueth

Post by PrinceAlarming » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:32 am

How does it work on the forum?

Jonathan Green
Detective

Post by Jonathan Green » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:20 pm

PrinceAlarming wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:32 am
How does it work on the forum?
Something like this:
viewtopic.php?t=5333
Check out my Instagram account to see my art - :arrow: https://www.instagram.com/david_rodriguez_art/?hl=en

Black
Bindle Stiff

Post by Black » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:32 pm

I'm working on a Clue game for an online community I work for (since it's using fan characters that aren't Clue, I won't post it here) but I've came up with tiebreakers just in case when playing, no one accuses the solution correctly and believes me, it happens a lot in this house (mostly by me)

These are interchangeable but just for this example, I'll be using Super Cluedo Challenge as my example for this.

The solution to the game was CAPT. BROWN in the LIBRARY with the SPANNER

1) The winner of the game is the person who accuses the murder correctly - "Congratulations, you solved the murder correctly"

2) If no one accuses correctly, the murderer wins the game - "You have gotten away with your crime" (I.E. If someone was playing as Captain Brown in this game, they would win) :!:

3) If no one is the murderer, then the person who guessed the most correct wins - "You've got enough right to get a conviction"

4) If there is a tie, then the person who correctly accused the murderer wins - "You've identified the murderer to get a conviction" (I.E. Two players both got 2 correct, Player 1 got Room and Weapon and Player 2 got Room and Suspect -> Player 2 is the winner)

5) If there is still a tie, then the player out of the tied players with the most clue cards win - "You've gathered enough evidence to support your theory" :?:

6) If there is still a tie, all tied players share the victory

:!: In games where you don't play as a suspect, such as CLUE FX - Ignore this rule and skip to 3
:?: In games where you can't collect extra clue cards, such as original and master detective, then players share the victory