Clue(do) Rules: Any "House Rules" or other variations when you play?

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

MajorHoy
Gumshoe

Clue(do) Rules: Any "House Rules" or other variations when you play?

Post by MajorHoy » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:49 pm

I had made a thread a couple of months ago called "Clue(do) rules: Making an Accusation" <viewtopic.php?f=1&t=19825> where I explained that when I use to play Clue with my family, we required players to at least be in a room (ANY room) before making an accusation.

Now I'm curious about what variations on the printed game rules you folks may use in your Clue(do) games.

One I can remember was that we would allow players to choose what other player they could ask about their suspicions, not just automatically starting by asking the person to your left. And to make things more challenging, the person asked would respond by showing just the person who asked a card for one of the guesses. If they didn't have the card for either the person, weapon, or the room, they would instead show the back of a card to the person who asked. (That way, nobody would necessarily learn anything until they actually had the opportunity to make their own suggestions to another player.)

What about anybody else? Any additions or variations to the printed rules you've tried out in a game?

Jonathan Green
Detective

Re: Clue(do) Rules: Any "House Rules" or other variations when you play?

Post by Jonathan Green » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:19 pm

Don’t show players the same card over and over again.
Check out my Instagram account to see my art - :arrow: https://www.instagram.com/david_rodriguez_art/?hl=en

coinilius
Slueth

Post by coinilius » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:36 am

Cluedo reminds me of Monopoly in that it is such a ubiquitous game that everybody thinks they know the rules for it, but haven't necessarily read through the actual rules in a while (if ever). House rules are a lot more rampart with Monopoly (Hasbro have even released a House Rules variant to cash in on this), but it definitely happens with Cluedo as well.

MajorHoy
Gumshoe

Post by MajorHoy » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:21 am

coinilius wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:36 am
Cluedo reminds me of Monopoly in that it is such a ubiquitous game that everybody thinks they know the rules for it, but haven't necessarily read through the actual rules in a while (if ever). House rules are a lot more rampart with Monopoly (Hasbro have even released a House Rules variant to cash in on this), but it definitely happens with Cluedo as well.
Also, the "rules" for the game itself have changed over time.
Older versions of the game only used one six-sided die and had cards for the six suspects, the six weapons, and the nine rooms where the murder could have happened, but later (not sure when) Hasbro added a second die and additional cards.

BBP
Detective

Post by BBP » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:48 am

At least one older Dutch version also has less squares, so you could still make it into a room on your first turn.

According to the Dutch rules I grew up with you may stand as long in a room as you please but you may not use a secret passage more than twice in a row.

coinilius
Slueth

Post by coinilius » Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:26 pm

MajorHoy wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:21 am
coinilius wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:36 am
Also, the "rules" for the game itself have changed over time.
Older versions of the game only used one six-sided die and had cards for the six suspects, the six weapons, and the nine rooms where the murder could have happened, but later (not sure when) Hasbro added a second die and additional cards.

That's a really good point as well, the rules have been tweaked quite a bit over the years, which has the add on effect that people can come to the game with different ideas of how to play based on the version they grew up with or encountered first.

I'm not sure how some of the things like the bonus cards that have been added to newer games impact on house rules - I don't have any versions of Cluedo which include them, although I have a couple of versions of Battleship where Hasbro have added bonus cards into the mix as well (on the topic of house rules/home made variants, I've actually been playing a version of Battleship where we incorporate cards from the Battleship card game into the mix as well - you have a hand of cards each and play the peg cards to say how many shots you can fire per turn, so if you play a 4 peg card you can call out four coordinates).

Over at Board Game Geek, there are a number of threads in the Clue forum section where people have discussed playing the game with different house rules, often through misinterpretation of the rules as written or through wanting to spice things up a bit. A common house rule/misconception is that a lot of people will just ask anyone when making suggestions, rather than going around the table starting with the person on your left.

And BBP, that is an interesting point - different countries have had some very different versions of the game to each other over the years, which introduce even more chances for board and rule variations.

Jonathan Green
Detective

Post by Jonathan Green » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:30 pm

Jonathan Green wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:19 pm
This more of a "House Rule", so we don't feel cheated out.
Check out my Instagram account to see my art - :arrow: https://www.instagram.com/david_rodriguez_art/?hl=en

MajorHoy
Gumshoe

Post by MajorHoy » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:23 am

Jonathan Green wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:30 pm
Jonathan Green wrote:
Actually, that's one rule I don't feel is necessary. If people are silly enough to ask about something they may already have been told, it shouldn't be another player's responsibility to tell them they already knew it. If a person already knows the player to the left has a certain room card, then they shouldn't keep going to that same room if they want to find out about the person or the weapon. If they're shown that room card again, they should move on to different rooms if they aren't ready to make an accusation.

Elrond
Gumshoe

Post by Elrond » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:04 pm

MajorHoy wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:23 am
Jonathan Green wrote:
Jonathan Green wrote:
Actually, that's one rule I don't feel is necessary. If people are silly enough to ask about something they may already have been told, it shouldn't be another player's responsibility to tell them they already knew it. If a person already knows the player to the left has a certain room card, then they shouldn't keep going to that same room if they want to find out about the person or the weapon. If they're shown that room card again, they should move on to different rooms if they aren't ready to make an accusation.
Agreed. This is part of the strategy in Clue - to zero in on gathering exact pieces of evidence from specific people.

Jonathan Green
Detective

Post by Jonathan Green » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:58 pm

Elrond wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:04 pm
MajorHoy wrote:
Jonathan Green wrote:
Agreed. This is part of the strategy in Clue - to zero in on gathering exact pieces of evidence from specific people.
I mean showing the same card to the same player.

Say I have Peacock and Knife, and someone makes a suggestion with Peacock, I’ll show them Peacock.
After one round the same player makes a suggestion with Peacock and Knife, but I decided to them Peacock again.
Imagine if that same player Peacock over and over again every time that make a suggestion with her. Gets annoying right.

Elrond
Gumshoe

Post by Elrond » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:59 pm

Jonathan Green wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:58 pm
Elrond wrote:
MajorHoy wrote:

Say I have Peacock and Knife, and someone makes a suggestion with Peacock, I’ll show them Peacock.
After one round the same player makes a suggestion with Peacock and Knife, but I decided to them Peacock again.
Imagine if that same player Peacock over and over again every time that make a suggestion with her. Gets annoying right.
Why would they keep making same suggestion if they know it’s wrong?!

Jonathan Green
Detective

Post by Jonathan Green » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:01 pm

Elrond wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:59 pm
Jonathan Green wrote:
Elrond wrote:

Why would they keep making same suggestion if they know it’s wrong?!
Bluffing or trying to get more clues

MajorHoy
Gumshoe

Post by MajorHoy » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:06 pm

Jonathan Green wrote:
Elrond wrote:
MajorHoy wrote:

Look, if that player can't be bothered to make a note that somebody already showed them a card (in your example, for Mrs. Peacock), it DOES get annoying if they expect other people to have to keep track of what has already been shown to them when they can't keep it straight themselves.

If people are silly enough to ask about something that another player has already shown them, then they deserve to be shown the same card again and again and again until they learn to ask about something else (either cards they themselves already have or something they haven't already been shown by anybody).

The only time a rule that states you can't show the same card more than once to the same person makes sense is when the players are maybe under 7 years old or something.

Jonathan Green
Detective

Post by Jonathan Green » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:02 pm

MajorHoy wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:06 pm
Jonathan Green wrote:
Elrond wrote:

Look, if that player can't be bothered to make a note that somebody already showed them a card (in your example, for Mrs. Peacock), it DOES get annoying if they expect other people to have to keep track of what has already been shown to them when they can't keep it straight themselves.

If people are silly enough to ask about something that another player has already shown them, then they deserve to be shown the same card again and again and again until they learn to ask about something else (either cards they themselves already have or something they haven't already been shown by anybody).

The only time a rule that states you can't show the same card more than once to the same person makes sense is when the players are maybe under 7 years old or something.
The only people I play Clue with are my cousins, mostly the younger ones. This is why we have that rule because sometimes they forget to note it.

Jonathan Green
Detective

Post by Jonathan Green » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:12 pm

A little story: two years ago, around Christmas, a now ex boyfriend of my sister's was visiting us. We decided to play Clue. A few rounds later, my older cousin makes an final guess, and gets it wrong. Now my sister ex's kept telling my cousin he didn't have cards he asked for, when he did, and my sister did nothing about it.

MajorHoy
Gumshoe

Post by MajorHoy » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:18 pm

Jonathan Green wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:02 pm
The only people I play Clue with are my cousins, mostly the younger ones. This is why we have that rule because sometimes they forget to note it.
Then it really depends on how young / observant they are (or if there other challenging issues involved, such as learning or behavioral conditions).
---------------------
Jonathan Green wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:12 pm
A little story: two years ago, around Christmas, a now ex boyfriend of my sister's was visiting us. We decided to play Clue. A few rounds later, my older cousin makes an final guess, and gets it wrong. Now my sister ex's kept telling my cousin he didn't have cards he asked for, when he did, and my sister did nothing about it.
Well, when somebody lies about that stuff (or is so incompetent they don't realize they had what they had in their hand), that's a different story.