A trend with Mrs. White

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Jonathan Green
Junior Detective

A trend with Mrs. White

Post by Jonathan Green » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:03 pm

I've noticed a recent trend with Mrs. White, which is not making her a maid.

Think about it...

Discover the Secrets: A forgotten child star.

Miniseries: An teenage activist.

2012/2014: A lawyer.

Clue Bingo: She looks like this;

2016 (From the concept art): Some sort of Politician or something.

Marmalade: Boddy's estranged sister.
Last edited by Jonathan Green on Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my Instagram account to see my art - :arrow: https://www.instagram.com/david_rodriguez_art/?hl=en

coinilius
Spy

Re: A trend with Mrs. White

Post by coinilius » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:24 pm

Personally, I prefer her as the original interpretation - an older woman and a housekeeper. The housekeeper angle adds to her character, IMO, as she is the only 'working class' character in the original set, and rounds out a nice contrast with the other female characters (including Dr Orchid) in terms of age and position. I like the idea of having more staff suspects/characters as well, like the various butler characters they've had over the years.

Jonathan Green
Junior Detective

Post by Jonathan Green » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:10 pm

coinilius wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:24 pm
Personally, I prefer her as the original interpretation - an older woman and a housekeeper. The housekeeper angle adds to her character, IMO, as she is the only 'working class' character in the original set, and rounds out a nice contrast with the other female characters (including Dr Orchid) in terms of age and position. I like the idea of having more staff suspects/characters as well, like the various butler characters they've had over the years.
I actually don't mind this new trend. Mrs. White from Clue Bingo is one of my favorite Whites.
I imagine Mrs. White as Boddy's fiancee, who use to work as a maid/cook for Mrs. Peacock (Boddy's God-Mother).
But I do wish that Hasbro would have made White a celebrity chef in DTS, as a nod to her former self
Check out my Instagram account to see my art - :arrow: https://www.instagram.com/david_rodriguez_art/?hl=en

The Late Dr Black
Snoop

Post by The Late Dr Black » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:27 pm

My favourite version of Mrs White is the one where she is Dr Black's sister with lilac gloves and a pug pooch. She seems right for a modern setting where the old Mrs White has been bumped off.

My second favourite is the original boot faced cook. She was so realistic as a character.

I loved Mrs White in the film too. Madeline Kahn was a genius. Her character seems to me to be more akin to Dr Orchid now.

coinilius
Spy

Post by coinilius » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:26 pm

Movie Mrs White is a great character but as a kid it always annoyed me how different she was from the ‘boot faced cook’ (love that description) I was used to from the game (That’s not to say I didn’t like the movie).

Jonathan Green
Junior Detective

Post by Jonathan Green » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:31 pm

coinilius wrote:
Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:26 pm
Movie Mrs White is a great character but as a kid it always annoyed me how different she was from the ‘boot faced cook’ (love that description) I was used to from the game (That’s not to say I didn’t like the movie).
I too do enjoy Madeline Kahn's White, but why turning her from a maid to a black widow is something I wonder sometimes. Mrs. Peacock has always been the black widow to me.

PrinceAlarming
Spy

Post by PrinceAlarming » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:55 pm

I tried playing Clue Bingo, but the Clue theme seemed almost irrelevant. Just images to use. The artwork is great and suckered me in, but I’m not a big enough bingo fan to have the theme hardly factor in at all.

I’m just glad Mrs White hasn’t been retconned out of existence. She may have been replaced by Dr Orchid in the base game, but I’m glad she’s still being utilized in various ways and forms even today. It’s Lady Lavender who seems to be missing. I was so glad to see Rusty and Mrs Meadowbrook in the app with the newer themes. But still no Lady Lavender. Perhaps Dr Orchid has done away with her. But wouldn’t it be nice to have two female characters of Asian decent? Even Miss Scarlet has been Asian.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:04 pm

I agree. To truly be inclusive, they need to do away with tokenism all together and attribute a spectrum of race visibility. I think the recent Marmalade games made an effort in this regard.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:00 pm

PrinceAlarming wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:55 pm
I tried playing Clue Bingo, but the Clue theme seemed almost irrelevant. Just images to use. The artwork is great and suckered me in, but I’m not a big enough bingo fan to have the theme hardly factor in at all.

I’m just glad Mrs White hasn’t been retconned out of existence. She may have been replaced by Dr Orchid in the base game, but I’m glad she’s still being utilized in various ways and forms even today. It’s Lady Lavender who seems to be missing. I was so glad to see Rusty and Mrs Meadowbrook in the app with the newer themes. But still no Lady Lavender. Perhaps Dr Orchid has done away with her. But wouldn’t it be nice to have two female characters of Asian decent? Even Miss Scarlet has been Asian.
I think Lavender and Orchid are too similar from a marketing perspective, both the colors, and as Asian characters, who are very similar looking. Yes Scarlett has been Asian, but she was conceived as a stereotypical blonde white woman. I hate to see an original Asian character like Lavender removed from the canon, but at the same time I totally get it. Having both her an Orchid in the same game would be a problem. That said, in a digital game it's certainly less of a problem, but at the same time it still creates some confusion for those unacquainted with the older characters, at a time when Hasbro is trying to establish Orchid in her own right. I would not be surprised if Hasbro has withheld Lavender from Marmalade's use.

Jonathan Green
Junior Detective

Post by Jonathan Green » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:58 pm

Murder by Death wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:00 pm
I think Lavender and Orchid are too similar from a marketing perspective, both the colors, and as Asian characters, who are very similar looking. Yes Scarlett has been Asian, but she was conceived as a stereotypical blonde white woman. I hate to see an original Asian character like Lavender removed from the canon, but at the same time I totally get it. Having both her an Orchid in the same game would be a problem. That said, in a digital game it's certainly less of a problem, but at the same time it still creates some confusion for those unacquainted with the older characters, at a time when Hasbro is trying to establish Orchid in her own right. I would not be surprised if Hasbro has withheld Lavender from Marmalade's use.
I know. When I showed my mom my homemade cards, she thought Orchid and Lavender were the same since their both Asian, even though I made sure to differentiate the two.

coinilius
Spy

Post by coinilius » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:26 am

I currently lean towards imagining Lady Lavender as being a bit more mature aged than Dr Orchid, who is much younger (her relative youth seems much more key a component of Dr Orchid's character). The version of Lady Lavender from Clue Mysteries is the design I associate with her - it just feels more unique. There is room for both with the proper design consideration, but I do agree that from a marketing perspective they have made them a bit too similar.

PrinceAlarming
Spy

Post by PrinceAlarming » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:04 am

Some iterations have Miss Scarlet as Mrs Peacock’s biological daughter. The same could be done for Dr Orchid and Lady Lavender which ties together them looking similar to each other.
Bringing the conversation back to Mrs White, the VCR game has Mrs White and Mr Boddy the biological parents of Sergeant Gray.

coinilius
Spy

Post by coinilius » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:20 am

In my current head cannon Sgt Gray is the son of Mrs White and Sir Black, who was then raised by the Gray family to avoid scandal (Mrs White being married and a servant) his adopted father being the senior Inspector Gray (I've split the Gray character into about 3 different versions).

Jonathan Green
Junior Detective

Post by Jonathan Green » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:13 pm

PrinceAlarming wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:55 pm

I have the same opinion of Clue Bingo, I only got it for the artwork. *beep*, most of the rooms in there are going to be in my cards.
I too want to see Lady Lavender make a comeback. She one of my favorite characters. Lavender and Orchid do have similarities, both being that they’re Asian and they work with plants. But they’re both different as well.

Lady Lavender is a wealthy lady whose husband died of food poisoning. She started a Herbal business all on her own and is looking for backers. She appears to be Chinese.

Dr. Orchid is Boddy’s adopted daughter who has a Ph.D. in Biology and Plant Toxicology. She been experimenting on a plant that holds incredible medical properties. She wants nobody to find out her secret, not even her own adoptive father. She appears to be Japanese.

PrinceAlarming
Spy

Post by PrinceAlarming » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:14 am

With Dr Orchid being adopted, Lady Lavender could be revealed to be her biological mother. Furthermore, Dr Orchid could be only half Asian, opening the possibilities of who her biological father could be.
In regards to being Chinese, Japanese, or even a different ethnicity such as Korean, Vietnamese, etc; it could either be outright stated to tie in culture, heritage, and tradition to the character’s personality and beliefs from their upbringing, or it could be left ambiguous for more people to see representation of themselves among the cast.

Jonathan Green
Junior Detective

Post by Jonathan Green » Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:48 am

I think Dr. Orchid works for Lady Lavender at her herbal shop. Orchid being half Asian is and interesting concept for her, given Clue is set in England primarily.