Guess Who Clue, Hasbro mashups

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Guess Who Clue, Hasbro mashups

Post by alwaysPeacock » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:41 am

Didn’t see a post about this yet, so: Hasbro has launched another Target exclusive series of games. This time it’s mashups of their popular brands into some charming party games. Twister Scrabble. Jenga Monopoly. Of interest to us: Guess Who Clue.

But look closely at the promo image & you’ll spot three surprises: a poison weapon card, a return of Mrs. White in her new aesthetic, and a very familiar face to any of us who play Marmalade’s digital edition, Monsieur Brunette. This alone makes me more inclined to add this silly spin off to my library {and all but solidifies my long held belief that Hasbro commissioned new art for ALL of the suspects with their last redesign, and that artwork was provided to Marmalade as a basis for their International suspects pack — those bonus suspects are just too cohesive with the base 7 (counting White because we all know she came from concept art) to be purely Marmalade’s creations}.

TL/DR: I’m more hopeful now that Hasbro might actually deliver a new expanded spin off game in the next year, now we can see they’ve got the extra artwork to work with.

Also, hi everyone. Not dead, just haven’t signed on in a good while. Too tired most days to stay on top of every new development in the fandom, and generally discouraged when I pop on & see the spam bots are still raging on.
"But look what happened to the cook!"

cacums
Ringer

Re: Guess Who Clue, Hasbro mashups

Post by cacums » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:54 am

I am very excited for this! Not only are we getting a CLASSIC character and a semi-classic weapon that has been part of Clue since the 1980s, it shows that there is hope for Brunette and White to fill out those other two empty starting spaces by the Kitchen/Dining Room and Study/Hall. Perhaps that is why the Hall door was removed? To get us used to the new board layout when they decide to invite more characters into the board game?

Either way, I will definitely be adding this to my collection. I'm very intrigued to see how the game is played.

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:20 am

I might pick up a copy this afternoon. I’m very interested to see if the deck of cards (the larger ones you’d draw from & have to guess to win) form a complete deck (namely, are all 9 standard rooms accounted for). If so, all anyone needs is a set of colored pawns to match & a poison token from another edition, and you’ve got yourself a ready to go expansion for any modern Clue board. Just have to print up a corresponding notebook to use with it.

EDIT: *ALSO* those aforementioned cards are EXACTLY what the standard edition’s deck should have looked like from the beginning! The Evidence stamp, the “taped on” strips of paper labeling everything. Matches the aesthetic of the rules book perfectly. Notwithstanding the potential new room, but if the impending anniversary edition doesn’t give this kind of attention to details to its cards, I’ll be sorely disappointed. We certainly don’t need another pack of bland portraits with massive white stripes over them.

coinilius
Suspect

Post by coinilius » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:20 am

That is actually very interesting, the game looks like it has a nice design for what is otherwise a pretty throw-away mash-up game concept (and Guess Who and Clue are a pretty sensible mash-up, given the themes). An expanded version of the board game with extra players that include White and another character would be good if it does eventually happen (although I’d actually personally prefer a new male character than an existing one, to balance out Dr Orchid without drawing form the existing stock of characters).

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:50 am

coinilius wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:20 am
I’d actually personally prefer a new male character than an existing one
I would love to see the inclusion of a Silver or Gold character. Throw a little metallic shine to the character pawns. Perhaps a Mr/Sir/Judge Gold since the weapon tokes are silver.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:38 pm

This is all so expensive. And I just realized Target no longer has the Rustic Edition for sale... ugh I kept waiting for a sale and now it’s gone!

coinilius
Suspect

Post by coinilius » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:37 pm

cacums wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:50 am
coinilius wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:20 am
I’d actually personally prefer a new male character than an existing one
I would love to see the inclusion of a Silver or Gold character. Throw a little metallic shine to the character pawns. Perhaps a Mr/Sir/Judge Gold since the weapon tokes are silver.
Judge would be a great title for a new male character!

Looking at the rest of the mash-up games line, some of the others actually look kind of interesting as well - the Scrabble/Twister mash-up could be fun, and useful for educational games with young children.

alwaysPeacock
Fleet Street Look-Out

Post by alwaysPeacock » Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:16 am

Basic gameplay:

Your “notebook” game board:

And the artwork you’re all most eager to see ... two new weapons!

And our old friends:

The game features 8 each of suspects/weapons/rooms. The Conservatory didn’t make the cut, so the deck can’t quite serve as an alternative for a DIY expanded game (but a simple scan of the face sides of all of these cards, plus a little skilled image editing, could easily get the job done. Or, just play a game without the Conservatory?) 16 Special Action cards round out the deck.

Setup is much like standard Clue: separate the suspects, weapons, rooms, and randomly select 3 cards for the solution. Then each player randomly selects one of the remaining suspect cards to keep facing them in the slot (so from the beginning, you can eliminate one suspect - yourself - from your notebook board). The remaining Evidence cards are shuffled with the actions to create the draw pile mentioned in the rules. Game is as detailed above, then you can make an accusation at the beginning of your next turn if you think you’ve narrowed your board down to the 3 solution cards. Announce your solution, check the cards. Correct? You win. Wrong? Your opponent must immediately make their own guess, and steal the victory if they’re correct on all 3.

I played a quick trial game with a friend this evening. It’s actually fun! Some players will struggle to think up clever questions since you have only the smaller artwork on your notebook cards to study for details, but there’s a decent balance between elimination by observation & elimination by luck of the draw.

Minor details: love the card backs. Love the cards, period. These retained the book cover texture layer from the standard game’s rules booklet, even wrapping it around as the border on the facing side. The cards are just as thin as the new standard, but they look much better/more atmospheric. I have qualms with the molds used for the boards: they’re blatantly the usual Guess Who board, but molded in brown plastic. The, now useless, winning streak peg holders could have been swapped for a Clue logo. The rules also kept text from Guess Who referring to matching the color of the small cards (red border or blue border) to the color of the boards ... which is a moot point, here.

TL/DR: a respectable option for a travel/quick play version of Clue, with the added bonus of new suspect & weapon art. 3.5/5*

coinilius
Suspect

Post by coinilius » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:05 am

That does look very nice, the artwork and card designs have been done in a really nice way. A shame the Conservatory didn't make it in for the complete set of rooms, but hopefully we'll get a new version of the actual Clue that follows this art direction.

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:49 am

Time to make a trip to Target!

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:41 pm

Yes, @alwayspeacock ... simple to scan and print onto a sticker the conservatory artwork, and stick on top of a spare card from this set. In this case, the spare card for me is Mssr. Brunette. Better yet, just have everyone agree that Brunette is the Conservatory for the purposes of the game.

Once again I feel Hasbro has been tone deaf here. They go to the trouble to add an original ethic character in the name of Orchid, but for this game they not only add back the old white lady, but also another white character. Oh yes, I’m sure there are many arguments for Brunettes mixed heritage, especially as depicted here, but honestly he was created as a white guy, and always has been. Why not Prince Azure? An original black character, who also has an international pedigree. That would have satisfied the demographic representation of diversity Clue badly needs. I get Brunette holds greater nostalgic interest for some older fans of the game, but seriously, better to be progressive these days. And Azure should hold plenty of nostalgic sway for a younger demographic too.

So that leaves 7 suspects, 9 rooms, and 8 weapons. That should make for an interesting Clue game format. Now we just need a Mrs. White token/pawn that matches the new game figurines, and we’re all set.

Still @ $20, I’m not eager to pick this up just for a set of cards. Then again, I waited too long to pick up the Rustic Edition to go on sale and now it’s sold out. Hopefully they will restock before Christmas, but it could very well be the end of its availability.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:35 pm

Murder by Death wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:41 pm
Why not Prince Azure? An original black character, who also has an international pedigree. That would have satisfied the demographic representation of diversity Clue badly needs.
But would it be enough? Why stop at only one black guy, and/or one Asian etc? This could be a chance to diversify in multitude.