logo
Homepage Forums Clue Games Cluedo Games Stage & Screen Gaming Puzzle Series In Print Miscellaneous Links & Information
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Let's Play Clue - Game #1
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    TheArtofMurder.com Clue / Cluedo Discussion - Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael
Mastermind

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:49 am    Post subject: Let's Play Clue - Game #1 Reply with quote

Okay, I know there are some "Live" clue games going on, but I haven't had the pleasure of looking into that yet and I'm in the mood for one of the old fashioned Clue games we played on other forums like yahoogroups.

Anybody up for a game?

Basically, we pick a theme - anything from regular Clue to something far more exotic.

Each player will choose a 2 characters, 2 rooms and 2 weapons. A GM (game master - maybe I can recruit Tum) will mix all the "cards" and deal them out to the players via PM. He will also decide the turn order.

A short game introduction story is created and then we role-play by writing a short paragraph or so during each of our turns where our character makes a suggestion. Then we go 'round in order to see if other players can disprove - all while role-playing. Once the suggestion is disproved, it is the next player's turn to suggest. There is no dice movement nor is there a showing of the disproved card - merely an announcement that the suggestion was disproved or not. A 48-hour window would be allotted between turns or the turn is forfeited. But hopefully players will keep the game moving more quickly than that.

The winner is the first person to make an accusation. Accusations can be made after a suggestion if either the suggestion receives no disproval or the player announces his potential intention to disprove during his suggestion. This way the game play can continue as soon as the suggestion is disproved without waiting for the suggestor to announce his turn is over - again unless he/she announced his intentions beforehand.

So who is in?

I suggest making this first game Clue themed (from any version) until we get the hang of it and can move on to other ideas.

Here are my submissions:

Madam Rose
Sgt. Gray
Hall
Drawing Room
Candlestick
Garden Gnome
Niteshade007
"Master Detective is creepy!"

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, I'll join.

My submissions are:

M. Brunette
Miss Peach
Ballroom
Carriage House
Revolver
Bucket
Michael
Mastermind

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, we need at least one more player...
Kristev
Crime Writer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lady Lavender
Prince Azure
Conservatory
Study
Knife
Poison
CluedoKid
Con Artiste

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Scarlet
Dr. Black (let him live for once and he can be a possible killer)
Billiard Room
Gazebo
Blunderbuss
Axe
Mastermind

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay. Four is a good number. If anybody else wants to join, please do so tonight by 8pm Eastern at which point I'll ask Tum to send out everybody's cards and we'll post the official list of suspects, rooms and weapons as well as the turn order.

I suggest that once we are set, we play one round without any suggestions just to introduce our characters as well as set the stage for the mystery. Then in round two... the game's afoot!
CMustardwPipeinLibrary
"old Mustards don't really appeal to me"

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll join if there's room. If necessary, here are my added cards:

Prof. Plum
Mrs. Peacock
Library
Dining Room
Rope
Garden Shears

If you already have enough, then that's all right.

Are you gullible? Click here to find out!
Michael
Mastermind

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure there's room!

Just to make sure everybody gets an even number of cards, I took out the Hall and Garden Shears (sorry, but I didn't want it to be confused with Garden Gnome and cause problems later). So now, everybody will get five cards to be dealt shortly.

Unless somebody else joins at the last minute (before 8pm), this is our list so far:

Suspects:
Madame Rose
Sgt. Gray
M. Brunette
Miss Peach
Lady Lavender
Prince Azure
Miss Scarlet
Dr. Black
Professor Plum
Mrs. Peacock

Rooms:
Drawing Room
Ballroom
Carriage House
Conservatory
Study
Billiard Room
Gazebo
Library
Dining Room

Weapons:
Candlestick
Garden Gnome
Revolver
Bucket
Blunderbuss
Axe
Rope
Knife
Poison
Michael
Mastermind

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tum is emailing the cards now.

So let's get started.

Play will proceed in the order we joined the game:

Michael
Niteshade007
Kristev
Cluedokid5
CMustardwPipeinLibrary

The first round will be introductions. I'll post momentarily.
Michael
Mastermind

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Tum will be PMing cards soon... but we don't need them for the first round of introductions. So here goes:

ROUND ONE - Michael:

With a twinge of regret, Sgt. Gray tossed his Boston Cream - sans a solitary bite - unceremoniously onto the passenger seat of his cruiser and flipped the switch to the lights and siren. By the time he was accelerating around the corner of Third and Elm, the dirt splattered Ford Taurus was already a couple blocks away. Disregarding any intention the lead foot might have had about outrunning him, Gray punched the gas, throwing his Hemi into overdrive and, seconds later, was reading the Taurus's license plate as it futilely pulled over onto the shoulder of Route 41. In an instant the cop's computer screen was telling him everything he wanted to know about the car - it was an Avis Rental - and nothing he needed to know about the driver. He unsnapped the buckle on his holster and stepped out of his vehicle.

Inside the Taurus, a middle-aged, plump woman wearing a pompous array of gold and semi-precious stone jewelry looked nervously out her rear-view mirror as the well-built, African American cop approached. She was still watching him outside her side window until he knocked twice on the glass and motioned for her to roll down the window.

"Do you know how fast you were going back there?" Sgt. Gray asked sternly from behind a pair of mirrored sunglasses. He'd been a bouncer before joining the force. All his life he knew how to command attention and had little patience for any lack of respect shown to him. When the woman didn't answer, he raised his voice. "I said, do you know how fast you were going back there?"

Madame Rose habitually twisted the rings on her fingers. "Not fast enough."

"Is that sarcasm? Are you trying to be cute with me?" Sgt. Gray demanded. But before she could answer he continued. "I'm going to need to see your license and rental agreement."

"Officer, you don't understand."

"License and rental agreement, Ma'am. Don't make me ask you again."

Madame Rose fished through her purse and pulled out her license. But rather than handing it to him, she stared straight into reflection of his glasses. "A terrible cloud has risen over Boddy Mansion," she said gravely. She couldn't help but notice Sgt. Gray flinch a little at the mention of the house. "Someone is in trouble."

Sgt. Gray didn't like the way she seemed to be staring straight into his eyes through the glasses. The summer heat must be getting to him, he thought. "What kind of trouble?"

"Terrible, terrible trouble. Danger. Perhaps death. Perhaps murder."

"Homicide, huh?"

Rose's eyes never left his. "I saw it. In my visions. In my tea leaves. In the cards. There may still be time to escape the terrible fate that is going to befall somebody at Boddy Mansion this weekend. That's why I need to hurry. I need to warn them. If I'm not too late, that is."

"You think somebody at Boddy Mansion might already be dead?"

"Time is running out," Madame Rose said.

Sgt. Gray shifted his weight back and forth and after a moment said, "Well, the house is just a few miles ahead. I think I'd better just follow you there and make sure everything is all right."

"Do you feel that?" Madame Rose asked suddenly. "The winds of fate have shifted."

Sgt. Gray wasn't about to admit it, but the wind had just shifted directions.

"Maybe all is not yet lost. We must hurry."

A few drops of rain began to fall just as the Ford Taurus and Police Cruiser pulled through the gates of the stately home looming atop a wooded hill.

[Michael ENDS his turn. Onto Niteshade.]

Last edited by Michael on Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Niteshade007

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(great intro Michael! Mine probably won't be so good, I just got off the night shift at work...been awake since 8:15 yesterday)

At Boddy Mansion, the "dark cloud," as Madame Rose had described had not quite reached M. Brunette, who was playing croquet outside the gazebo. He tipped the ball with the mallet and then it almost went through the horseshoe shaped hole. With a look of disgust, he tossed the mallet to the ground and started screaming in something that certainly was not in a French accent, nor printable here. He stomped up the path towards the manor. The woman who was seated, a lovely young girl in a dress that looked like something straight out of "Gone With The Wind." was Miss Peach, his so-called "Muse." Although Brunette rarely painted. He liked to scream. A lot. People often questioned her about Brunette's temper. Her reply was always the same: "He tries to make up an eccentricity to make up for a lack of personality." She chuckled to herself about that little line, which she found funnier than anyone who had heard it. She looked up at the sky and saw that bright summer sun, unaware that soon her world would be plunged into a dark cloud of misery...

Kristev's turn!
Kristev
Crime Writer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was in the conservatory where Prince Azure walked through with a cup of steaming hot coffee. The conservatory was beautifully decorated, with only the barest of wicker furniture and a single white table. There was a piano in the room, but only one third of the room contained this gentle furniture. The reality was that the other two thirds were a sequestered greenhouse, beautiful to see but useful only to someone who was trying to hide or someone who was interested the constantly changing foliage. Dr. Black's plant obsessions changed constantly, so the poor plants in the conservatory seemed to feel much better when nobody was about at all. Who wanted to be uprooted?

"I know how they feel," Prince Azure mused to himself. It had been ten years, almost to the day, when his royal nation was destroyed in an American-based coup. Now only he and a handful of survivors had managed to escape, seeking the protection of the U. K. Things were different now, of course, but Azure at times regretted teaming up with M. Brunette in the art & arms business. Especially since Brunette seemed to be all arms and little art. Or so it appeared to the Prince. Anyway, with Brunette being fired by Mr. Meadow-Brook, it was almost a wonder Brunette didn't do it! But Prince Azure knew perfectly well Mrs. M. B. was Mr. Meadow-Brook's slayer. He thinks . . . there was no way to ever be certain. The clues were so inconclusive, but everyone bought his argument, and he was congratulated by Brown. It earned him more than enough money to endure without having to get what the working class called a job. Let Brunette do all the work. That's the key to the good life.

By the time Prince Azure realized what he was doing, his coffee had gotten cold.
"Yuck," he shouted, as he tried to drink it. Disgusted, not that Mrs. White knew how to brew coffee anyway, he put it politely on the table and turned his attention to the piano. He started to play the melody to "We beseech thee," from Godspell. That was another of Scarlet's play disasters. They cast her for her skankiness in the role of Sonia, only to discover that she couldn't sing a note! Poor, poor Scarlet. No matter. Azure continued to play the melody.

But there was an unexpected rustling in the plants, which scared him to death. At first he tried to ignore it. "Evil, we long to be made pure. We beseech thee . . ." then he found he could no longer finish it. Instead, he got up. He walked over to the table and picked up a heavy candlestick, then opened the door to the sequestered greenhouse. In there, the lush, humid air almost knocked him out, but he recovered with a shake of the head and started to walk toward Dr. Black's famed new purple iris patch. As he approached, he raised the candlestick high above his head.

"Whatever you are," the Prince demanded, "Begone before I thump you!"
"Please, no," shouted Lady Lavender, wearing her usual lavender clothing, with just a hint of yellow accents. She emerged from the plants, well-hidden, with a knife. The Prince backed away, until he noticed that the knife bore nothing but cuttings, which Lady L. was bagging.
"What are you doing in here, Akira," the Prince asked?
"I thought I was alone," she pleaded, then sighed with relief.
"If Dr. Black knew you were . . ."
"But he doesn't, does he, Phillipe," Lady Lavender touched his face gently, allowing Azure to catch a whiff.
"Nightshade," he realized, and shook his head. "How did Lord Lavender die, anyway?"
"Oh," Lady Lavender replied quickly, "His head had been cut off and so had his, uh, you know. I had been out all evening, at the movies. Ask Mrs. White. She was with me."
"Sorry, I forgot," Prince Azure answered. "Would you care for coffee, Akira?"
"If Mrs. White made it," Lavender replied, "It's probably poisoned. Now if you don't mind, I must see Professor Plum. We wanted to discuss a, uh, herbological matter." Lady Lavender quickly dashed out of the conservatory, leaving Prince Azure stunned and blinking.
CluedoKid
Con Artiste

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. It's a little late, so I will post my intro tommorrow. Probably after school.
Mastermind

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job! I should have mentioned before, but be reserved in what decisions you make for other people's characters. It's fine to interact with them, but until we know what the player had in mind for them, try not to force them into actions or characterizations that might not have been intended for them.

Looking forward to your post Cluedokid!
CluedoKid
Con Artiste

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The parking lot outside the mansion was now far from vacant as a black Rolls Royce sat sationary without a sound. Two people were inside the vehicle getting over the rush of the drive. The man driving was Dr. Zachariah Black a 65 year old scientist wearing a jet noir pinstripe suit with a white carnation in the lapel. His hair was greying around the patchs and demeanor was calm and placid. A pair of specs rested on the bridge of his nose. Next to him was woman about 40 years yonger than him. She was beautiful woman drapped in a scarlet red cloak and she also was of Asian desent. Her name was Miss Evelynne Scarlet. A famous actress worldwide known. In Germany they call her Frauline Ming as that was her middle name, and in Netherlands she is simply call Evelynne Rose.

Dr. Black leaned in towards her and gave Miss Scarlet a passionate kiss on her lush ruby red lips.

"Well," he said, "Were here Eve."

"Zach, darling," said Miss Scarlet, "It seems there are people here before us, at your own mansion!"

"Oh shitte!" whined Dr. Black, "I knew we should of taken the 46 Highway!"

"Nevermind sweetpea," said Miss Scarlet soothingly, "I will meet you inside, I would like to stay and sit at the Gazebo for a while, and watch the pond. It is quite relaxing."

"What you will my dear," replied Dr. Black, "I will go in and put this Blunderbuss in the the Billiard Room at add to the collection."

Dr. Black exited the car and walked around to the trunk. There he pulled out a large Blunderbuss that was still in it's brown paper package with a price tag. Miss Scarlet got out too. As they crossed the Courtyard, Dr. Black greeted M. Brunette who was having a little round of croquet.

"Well I will see you later darling," reassured Dr. Black who proceeded inside.

Miss Scarlet head towards gazebo that resided to a little calming pawn, a haven if you will. Miss was about to sit in the wicker chair when she noticed an ugly axe resting on it.

"Ugh," she cried, "What is this dirty thing?"

And she chucked the axe out of the chair, and sat down. Her eyes gazed over the pond as she pulled out a red cigarette holder and lit a cigarette upon it.

"Ah yes," she thought to herself, "This will be relaxing evening indeed..."
Mastermind

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job Cluedokid. The story is developing rather intriguingly. Onto CMustard to shore up the introduction round. Feel free to lead us into the murder, too, if you like, C. Or leave it to the following players... but the next round we'll start the suggestions!
CMustardwPipeinLibrary
"old Mustards don't really appeal to me"

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Professor Lawrence Plum was in the Library, looking for a good book to read. Let's see... there was Rev. Green's study of the book of Nahum... a Bird Watcher's guide... a collection of essays by the man renowned to be the world's most boring person, Lord Thomas Grey...

The Professor sighed as he moved over to the next bookcase. Dr. Black really needed to get rid of some of those works. After a quick search, he finally found something he thought might work - a treatise by Dr. Black that he hadn't read before. Must be a new one, he thought.

He pulled it out - or tried to, anyway. But instead of coming out straight, it tipped downwards. Suddenly, the first bookcase swung open, revealing a secret passage! Cautiously, he picked up a Rope that was sitting on the table and entered. He navigated the dark, mysterious massage... and came up in the cellar. It what was what he saw there that spooked him...

Meanwhile, Mrs. Jennifer Peacock was talking with Dr. Black as they were sitting in the Drawing Room. Madame Rose had just arrived a few minutes ago to warn them about the death. Sgt. Gray was also in the Drawing Room, as was Miss Peach.

"So what do you think of Rose's warning, Doctor? Personally, I don't think anyone here is anywhere near death. I think she's just being paranoid."

Prof. Plum suddenly burst into the room, a look of panic on his face. Lady Lavender, who was outside in the corridor, had spotted him and was following him in. "Mrs. White-" he started.

"What about her?" Mrs. Peacock asked. "Don't tell me she's messing up dinner again!"

"Actually, I think that dinner will not be served this evening. You see, Mrs. Peacock, Mrs. White is dead."

(Figured I might as well make Mrs. White the victim since she was mentioned in Kristev's scene even though she's not a suspect...)

Mrs. White is dead.
A murderer is on the loose.
Everyone is a suspect.

Even you.

Are you gullible? Click here to find out!
Michael
Mastermind

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well written!

ROUND TWO:

"Oh, oh," Madame Rose moaned. "I knew this was going to happen. I just knew it. I tried to warn you all, but now it seems that one of you is a murderer."

"What do you mean, one of YOU?" Professor Plum asked.

"That's right," Miss Scarlet was quick to chime in. "It could have been any of us. You. Him."

"Is this a joke?" Miss Peach asked looking around at the faces in the room.

"I don't think this is a laughing matter," Sgt. Gray said sternly, rising to his feet. "I'd better go take a look at the body. You all stay put."

"Shouldn't we wait for the police," Brunette growled entering the room.

"He is the police," Miss Peach pointed out.

"It could very well have been him that did it," Dr. Black said. "In my experience with these matters, we should just leave the body where it is and none of us disturb it or any evidence until the rest of the police arrive. As Miss Scarlet pointed out, it could have been ANY of us."

Sgt. Gray looked angrily at him. "What are you suggesting? Are you suggesting that I, a cop no less, who wasn't invited here and happened to arrive by accident..."

"You seemed pretty eager to escort me here," Madame Rose said suspiciously. "And I didn't see you for a good minute or two back there by the carriage house after we arrived and I was finding my purse."

Sgt. Gray turned on her quickly and indicated his holster. "What are you suggesting? Do you really think I let you talk me into coming here so I could pull out my gun, shoot the maid outside the house - for god only knows what reason - then drag her body inside and dump her down a secret passage? That's the craziest suggestion I've ever heard in my life. If you were on the force, you'd never make detective."

[Sgt. Gray (Michael) SUGGESTS Sgt. Gray with the Revolver in the Carriage House]

It is now Niteshade's turn. If he can disprove, he should state so, then make his own suggestion. If not, Kristev will have the chance to disprove and so on until the suggestion is disproved. If it is not disproved, I will have the chance to accuse. Otherwise, once it is disproved, Niteshade can make his suggestion.

Also, so there is no confusion, we've found it helpful to post your suggestion/disproval/accusation at the end of each post in this format:

[Character (name) SUGGESTS/DISPROVES/CANNOT DISPROVE/ACCUSES Character, Weapon, Location]
Niteshade007

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither M. Brunette nor Miss Peach can disprove the suggestion.
Michael
Mastermind

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay. Feel free to role play your answers too if you wish.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TheArtofMurder.com Clue / Cluedo Discussion - Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: