Is it really that time of the year again?

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

cacums
Ringer

Is it really that time of the year again?

Post by cacums » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:07 am

Hello ladies and gentlemen, might I present [UNTITLED PROJECT]

Formerly known as a zillion variants of “The Story of Clue/Clue Series/Clue Saga”

Wait! Before you click away while sighing about how far I’ll get before abandoning it, I’d like to answer some questions about the series and some of the past ones.

Why did you start writing and stop writing so many times?
Honestly, let’s be real. The grammar, the one-note characters. The writing sucked and had terrible continuity. It was a race to get from plot point to plot point. Could you even solve the murders? Was there even a mystery to solve? I wasn’t proud of the work. The story wasn’t thoroughly planned out episode by episode and always ended up derailing and going places it never needed to go, etc etc etc.

Is CluedoKid (Matt) still working on this project?
More than ever before.

What is the journey of the story? Why should I read?
Underneath the campy characters and murder mystery aspects of this ongoing drama, where you get to watch the classic characters come to life with their own conflicting hopes, desires, and secrets. Written as a true ensemble story with no direct main character focus, you instead follow the story in small arcs (books, seasons). All of which reflect some of the great Clue Game themes presented throughout the past 70 years.

What will make this version different or better than the last?
There will be more illustrations in each episode. The stories will be paced better (and ending has been written). The characters will be fleshed out more realistically. The mysteries will be solvable; clues will be hidden in the story and/or the story illustrations.

Good God, I’ve read your stories a hundred times! How long will this last?
I can confidently say I have put the most time, money, and energy into creating this version of my Clue Series. Seeing as this is the year of the 70th anniversary, and I’ve moved into my first home (!) I have tons of disposable time. I think I am ready to take you into my brain and see this full story right down to the dark, depressing ending. If you’re worried the story is going to be identical or ‘nearly identical’ to previous incarnations... I’d say stick around for the first 6 episodes and see how you feel... some things change, some things never change, some things change a lot.

What will the first Arc be about?
The residents and staff of Blackwell Grange go about their routine lives during the week before a massive reunion party. Hearts are manipulated, trust is shattered, and one swift death shakes everyone to the core. The focus characters will be: Dr. Black, Miss Dove, Fivel, Nurse Silver, Frau Bloom, Yvette, Mr. Ash, Mme. Rose, Prof. Plum, and Mr. Boddy.

When will you update us again?
Soon. Soon...

cacums
Ringer

Re: Is it really that time of the year again?

Post by cacums » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:56 pm

THE HISTORY OF BLACKWELL GRANGE and the 5 BENEDICT BLACK'S

- Lord Benedict Black the First drew the plans for seven mansions. They were drawn with architectural and topographical detail, including massive gardens, fountains, and passageways. They were commissioned using the tail end of the once vast Black-Lavender fortune. Around the world, the mansions were constructed: Blackwell Grange - a tudor manor in the woods by a lake (United States), Arlington Grange - a brownstone townhouse/mansion in Washington D.C. (United States), Manoir Tombale - a cathedral-like mountain top ski chateau (Canada), Villa LeNoir - a Mediterranean country house with derby track (France), Sapphire Citadel - a palace with serves as the Azure Royal Palace (Morocco) Lavender Hall - a cliffside chalet-style mansion built for the Lavenders (Burma), Hill House - a gothic hilltop retreat build at an undisclosed location (Russia). Lord Black was responsible for the murders of all builders associated with the construction of Hill House. Due to his severe paranoia, Lord Black eventually murdered every builder that knew anything about the secrets within the mansions. Thirteen years later he hanged himself in the attic of Blackwell Grange.
- Dr. Benedict Black the Second helped promote his father's insanity and protect the brilliance of his architectural masterpieces. He built up the Black name even higher by pursuing a medical career and becoming the most renowned and skilled surgery in New England. His wife, Elizabeth Black (nee Grey), helped start the Black-Grey Pharmaceutical CO (BGP) with her slice of her late father’s expansive estate. Benedict 2 and Elizabeth have three children: Benedict the Third, Georgia, and Vivian. This era watches the honest-earned wealth pile up around them. Benedict 2 is directly involved in the rise of the Azure's to royalty after their generous donations to BGP. After his children moved on with their lives and their families, Benedict 2 began to visit the other mansions in hopes of finding out what his father was so afraid of people discovering. He returns without any answers, though everyone, including Elizabeth, claims that he was never the same after a trip to Russia. In his old age Benedict the Second went insane, killing his wife and himself with a Revolver in the Library.
- Benedict Black the Third sat easy from birth in the money from BGP, which tripled in value over thirty years. The deaths of his parents hit him especially hard. His only saving grace was the woman who would become his wife: Nora Black (nee LeNoir). Their love was strong and sadly very short. Nora died giving birth to their only child: Benedict the Fourth. Overwhelmed with grief, Benedict 3 became hardened. He involved himself with the Green Family... an Italian crime family from New York City. Benedict 3 drew unwanted attention to himself when married Lorna Black (nee Green), a close cousin to the kingpin. BGP provided opium to the Green’s cartel-sized empire, causing a rift between the O'Range family, the former suppliers. During the height of the tension, Benedict 3 resided in Blackwell Grange while his only son remained with the mansion staff at the Mediterranean country house. Benedict 3 and Lorna were shot and killed during a wedding reception in which half the Green family betrayed the Green's that were allied with BGP.
-Sir Benedict Black the Fourth inherits the Black Fortune as a stubborn teenager and remains stubborn and spoiled well into his old age. In his mid-thirties, he marries Beatrice Ebony and has twins (Benedict the Fifth & Rose) followed by two more children over the next couple years (Hugh & Margaret). His firstborn, Benedict 5, kills his mother and nanny at six-years-old. The boy is executed, sending a dark shadow of the family once more. Benedict 4 wastes away all of the Black Fortune by donating and sponsoring the arts. After some terrible speculations about a series of mass murders and an elite murderous club, Benedict 4 stresses terribly and dies of heart complications.

This ends the 5 Generations of "Benedict Black"

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:56 pm

Dr. Hugh Black

Second-born son of Benedict Black the Fourth.
The younger brother of twins: Benedict the Fifth and Rose; the older brother of Margaret Boddy (nee Black).
The younger half-brother of Peter Plum.
Owner of Blackwell Grange.
Co-owner of Black-Grey Pharmaceuticals.*
A former doctor at Pratt Memorial Hospital.**
Engaged to Miss Dove; soon-to-be stepfather of Fivel.

Dr. Black's relationship with his siblings has become somewhat strained since the beginning. Having not known his half-brother until both men were in their late thirties, he was never able to establish the unquestionable leadership with Peter. Having lost his older brother Ben at a young age, and having lost Rose to the gypsies, Dr. Black made most of the influence on their father... until Peter showed up. Peter was the true medical genius, and Dr. Black despised him for it.

After the death of their father, Dr. Black generously allowed Peter to remain at Blackwell Grange as long as he kept the science experiments and botanical projects away from the manor-house.

Dr. Black prepares to host a reunion party in optimistic hopes of rekindling some old friends and patching up some old wounds. If all goes well, and bygones are bygones, he hopes his friends will accept an extended invitation to remain at Blackwell Grange through the 45th Annual Garden Party.

His quick engagement to Miss Dove has taken the household by shock. His young nephew, John Boddy, has remained spiteful now that the marriage provides an heir other than himself. The Blackwell Grange staff hesitantly accepted Nurse Silver, a former nurse at Pratt Memorial, when was hired as a fulltime nanny for Miss Dove's young son, Fivel.

Dr. Black is hard-headed, difficult to read, and unlikely to express what he is feeling... unless he is overwhelmed with lust.

*now bankrupt after three generations of lavish wastefulness
**fired after rumors of nonconsensual relations with a nurse within the hospital

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:13 am

And now to add some furnishings!

Don't worry this is just a prototype I threw together. CluedoKid will be doing the full mansion ;)

Jonathan Green
Junior Detective

Post by Jonathan Green » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:08 pm

May I suggest you call your new series "Clue: The Blackwell Files" or "Clue: The Mysteries of Blackwell"?
Check out my Instagram account to see my art - :arrow: https://www.instagram.com/david_rodriguez_art/?hl=en

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:55 pm

Thanks for the suggestions! They are definitely on the list of contenders!

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:10 am

Small Update:

The project is still definitely underway. The idea of writing a soap-opera/drama/murder mystery has been part of my brain since around 2006 when I wrote a TERRIBLE (no I don't have it anymore thank god) 24 Chapter Master Detective "Novel". Shortly after (or perhaps during) I discovered Depboy's Ongoing Internet Story which was a HUGE part of my formative years. Seeing and Episode update before middle school and having to wait until I got home was absolute torture, but the payoff was always there.

I am not nearly as talented or creative as Depboy, but through trial and error, and the help of CluedoKid's beautiful art style, I'm ready to gather all the pieces of the story together, spend a fuck-load of money, and get that buzzy, tingly Clue excitement back into my life. I'm 25 years old and haven't really "tasted" Clue in a couple of years. I miss it. Most of the Episodes that I released a year or so ago were prewritten and released slowly as I tried to fight past the fact that a fully illustrated reboot was where my heart was at.

The entire series has been planned out into 7 large story arcs, and 20-some minor story arcs, complete with a partially written ending to work backwards from. The release of the episodes, however, will depend on the illustrations needed for each episode. Each episode should have a minimum of 6 scenes/illustrations which will help bring the story to life. Aspects of solving the mysteries and finding clues in the illustrations always drew me to the Clue Jr. Books.

I hope this manifests into a whirlwind of a story that gives at least one person the Clue tingles I used to get ;)

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:07 am

The new website and layout is officially set up!

https://cluethewebseries.weebly.com/

1.01 ... editing/in post
1.02 ... editing/in post
1.03 ... editing/in post
1.04 ... editing/in post
1.05 ... editing/in post
1.06 ... being written
1.07 ... TBA
1.08 ... TBA
1.09 ... TBA
​1.10 ... TBA

Jonathan Green
Junior Detective

Post by Jonathan Green » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:45 pm

It looks very interesting, with the new artwork and all.
Check out my Instagram account to see my art - :arrow: https://www.instagram.com/david_rodriguez_art/?hl=en

PrinceAlarming
Spy

Post by PrinceAlarming » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:15 pm

Writing is a skill that improves with practice to hone your craft. Restarting a fan fiction can produce your best work yet so as not to be tied down by previous works. I highly recommend checking out Jenna Moreci on YouTube for tips on writing, her advice is amazing and presented in a very humorous way that’s quite entertaining.

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:43 pm

PrinceAlarming wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:15 pm
Writing is a skill that improves with practice to hone your craft. Restarting a fan fiction can produce your best work yet so as not to be tied down by previous works. I highly recommend checking out Jenna Moreci on YouTube for tips on writing, her advice is amazing and presented in a very humorous way that’s quite entertaining.
Thanks! I'm going to give her a listen to tonight while I'm at work.

This story and these chracters have been floating and fluttering around for the past 10 years. I'm glad you see the benefits of rewriting/rebooting. Hopefully, at 26 years old, this will be THE ONE. Each time I write it I find myself feeling something new for a character I've never felt before or exploring paths that were often over-looked in previous renditions.

The brief, non-spoiler, teaser "TV-guide" synopsis for Episode 1 has been added:

Dr. Black remembers his childhood, Miss Scarlet yearns for fame, Colonel Mustard is reunited with an old fiend, Mrs. White provides order and control, Mr. Green makes a point, Mrs. Peacock remembers her many husbands, Professor Plum ignores a warning, and Miss Dove sees a different side to her fiance.

PrinceAlarming
Spy

Post by PrinceAlarming » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:27 am

The characters have been rewritten and redefined enough times that you could even consider different canons of the same characters. Mrs Peacock, Col Mustard, and Miss Scarlet in a love triangle in one story. Prof Plum and Mr Green competing for Miss Scarlet’s affection in another. Mrs White and Mrs Peacock being secret lovers who were forced to marry men because of societal norms and could never make their secret relationship known in a third.