Hasbro to axe the Hall?

A place to discuss all aspects of Clue/Cluedo.

Moderators: Michael, BBP, Tum

Sir Shamrock
Slueth

Hasbro to axe the Hall?

Post by Sir Shamrock » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:07 pm

This is the worst news I've heard all week

https://www.bustle.com/p/clue-is-gettin ... l-18691909

Hasbro wants to go back and change the Hall to something more "modern". The choices are Guest Room, Bathroom, Drawing Room, and Hall. It's part of there 70th anniversary celebration apparently. This is Dr. Orchid all over again

ragstorichesfan
Snoop

Re: Hasbro to axe the Hall?

Post by ragstorichesfan » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:15 pm

Oh wow, I was coming over to post about this,but I was under the impression it was only for the one edition. Do you think it would be a permanent change? :( and I even voted on the link.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:05 pm

Actually, I did agree with some of the article's points. How about a bathroom? (It was sort of the "extra ground floor location from the movie) and then turn the unused corridor between the Hall and Study into the mansion's entrance, perhaps decorate the corridors too, a bit.

Jonathan Green
Private Eye

Post by Jonathan Green » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:18 pm

I voted Hall. I rather have a modern version of it that any thing else.
How would you even get in Tudor Mansion without a hall?

Worker: "Well Mr. Boddy, we finished renovating your house."

Boddy: "Why is the hall a bathroom?"

Worker: "Why not?"

Boddy: "Because I can't get in my own house!"

Worker: "Why not use the conservatory entrance?"

Boddy: "BECAUSE IT'S ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE MANOR!!!"
Check out my Instagram account to see my art - :arrow: https://www.instagram.com/david_rodriguez_art/?hl=en

cluedoking123
Senior Detective
Location: Behind you with the candlestick...don't turn around

Post by cluedoking123 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:29 pm

Totally came here to post this exact thing! haha!

I was REAL tempted to vote for the drawing room! But in the end I couldn't let them get rid of the hall so I voted for the hall to get a new look...I HIGHLY doubt that's what will get chosen.
IT'S ALL TOO SHOCKING!

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:06 am

The article says there’s nothing like the bathroom, but then the kitchen is a lot like a bathroom with water, sinks and drains, tile floors and walls, etc. No the bathroom would not be my first choice, despite being an iconic room in the movie.

The drawing room would be just another Lounge/Study.

I’ve always thought the Hall is redundant, as the entire board is basically a hall. Anyone who’s ever tried to reconcile the interior with a real house knows the hallways all merge into one giant extension of the Hall.

So that leaves the guest room. That’s a space that doesn’t currently exist on the board in any form, unless the Lounge has a convertible sofa bed. If I had to vote for a new room it would be a bedroom. That still fits in with the theme just fine.

Of course I don’t want a new room, and they really shouldn’t change it. Orchid is one thing in the interest of racial diversity, but rooms are quite another. It’s either an homage to the original Agatha Christie murder mysteries, and grand old English manors, or its’ a modern makeover — which they’ve already done.

Let’s see what they do.

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:43 am

Murder by Death wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:06 am
The article says there’s nothing like the bathroom, but then the kitchen is a lot like a bathroom with water, sinks and drains, tile floors and walls, etc. No the bathroom would not be my first choice, despite being an iconic room in the movie.
As does the conservatory (more prominent in older editions).

People generally don't go pee in the kitchen, unless they're really lazy.

One grip I might have is, if it does become the bathroom, how odd it'd look being given the same general size as the other rooms.

Murder by Death
Forensics Supervisor

Post by Murder by Death » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:14 am

CluedoKid wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:43 am
Murder by Death wrote:

One grip I might have is, if it does become the bathroom, how odd it'd look being given the same general size as the other rooms.
I started to mention the conservatory ... absolutely correct. So there’s two similar rooms, and I’d venture to say Colonel Mustard has peed in the Conservatory a few times after a night of drinking ... maybe even the kitchen when he got randy and went looking for Mrs. White (and then couldn’t make it upstairs to the bathrooms where we assumed them to be).

Agreed about a giant room the same size as the others with just a toilet in it. Can’t really put a tub and shower in it on the main floor without a bedroom around either. I suppose it could be designed as an elaborate powder room with a sitting area outside the WC itself.

Last edited by Murder by Death on Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:06 pm

Noooo, we tried redoing the rooms back in 2008 and no one liked it. Classic Clue(do) for 70th. Smh, I thought they knew better. Absolute disrespect for Anthony Pratt. Use his original ideas, not the ideas that came later.

You want to add a bathroom, do your own expansion like Master Detective. I'm sure we'll eat it up. But leave classic Clue(do) as classic Clue(do).

CluedoKid
Con Artiste

Post by CluedoKid » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:34 pm

Murder by Death wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:14 am
CluedoKid wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:43 am
Murder by Death wrote:

I started to mention the conservatory ... absolutely correct. So there’s two similar rooms, and I’d venture to say Colonel Mustard has peed in the Conservatory a few times after a night of drinking ... maybe even the kitchen when he got randy and went looking for Mrs. White (and then couldn’t make it upstairs to the bathrooms where we assumed them to be).

Agreed about a giant room the same size as the others with just a toilet in it. Can’t really put a tub and shower in it on the main floor without a bedroom around either. I suppose it could be designed as an elaborate powder room with a sitting area outside the WC itself.

Hmm, could this powder room technically constitute the UK definition of a 'cloak room'? At least that would be somewhat traditional.

Sir Shamrock
Slueth

Post by Sir Shamrock » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:40 pm

Lord Leo Le Blanc
Spy

Post by Lord Leo Le Blanc » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:59 am

honestly I don't mind this gimic to much. Curious to see how it turns out.

Zoo977
Master Detective

Post by Zoo977 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:55 pm

I don't know if this is a bit old hat at this point BUT

Attempting to change the classic results in a reinvention by definition. They can call it what they may, and they may try to force in Dr Orchid and the Drawing Guest Bathroom as classics, but the originals are set as firmly as the core of our earth. Nothing they do can change it.

Maybe I'm a bit jaded, or maybe my jadedness provides some weird brand of comfort. But nothing they do can change there the game started. Even if it's nixed, the hall will return, as will Mrs. White and whatever else they try to do.

I'm not really that threatened or scandalized, I guess. Much better than what monopoly's doing, and I despise monopoly by default.
Stop winking at me, you oversexed Frenchman!

bollow
Suspect

Post by bollow » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:04 pm

Leave it as the Hall because that's the main entrance into the the house. Simples.

Jonathan Green
Private Eye

Post by Jonathan Green » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:02 pm

I like to call it the Great Hall, sounds more elegant. I also call the Ballroom the Grand Ballroom
Check out my Instagram account to see my art - :arrow: https://www.instagram.com/david_rodriguez_art/?hl=en

coinilius
Suspect

Post by coinilius » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:53 pm

Jonathan Green wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:02 pm
I like to call it the Great Hall, sounds more elegant. I also call the Ballroom the Grand Ballroom
That's kind of how I've always thought of the Hall as well. It's a grand entrance hall/foyer for the mansion, a pretty useful room and not really something that is outdated or old-fashioned - people who have mansions don't just climb through the windows, after all.

EDIT: That said, I'm not completely opposed to Hasbro changing things up like they are doing - Clue/Cluedo has had a long life as a board game, so I kind of assume that things will be changed again or be reverted back to normal sooner or later anyway.

cacums
Ringer

Post by cacums » Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:00 am

I had a thought that is not likely going to happen at all in any way shape or form... but I had the damn thought so lets dive into my sleep-deprived, slightly hungover Saturday morning brain (holy shit it is 11am I need to get offline)

Perhaps if the Hall loses the vote, it is being retired to become a center of the board as the "equal" starting space and we'll be getting a board like the Marmalade mobile game board.

With the new Guess Who/Clue mashup, I wonder if there is any intention of using the Classic, International, or Retro characters in this or any future games. Perhaps with the recent inclusion of M. Brunette and the reinclusion of Mrs. White we'll see something special for the Anniversary. Perhaps a sort of Super Clue/FX/Master Detective-ish expansion? I'd be okay with that.

I wouldn't hate it if we got a physical copy of the Retro Marmalade for the Anniversary as all the art is ready and waiting to be printed (perhaps by me just for funsies). I guess what I'm really trying to say here is that I want a physical copy of the Retro Marmalade.

Probably just a pipe dream that snowballed.